Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*shocked pikachu face*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

They did make a calculated risk assessment, they just didn't say it was a liability risk assessment

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

My friend's parents both tested positive and he urged them to get Pax. This was their text after he suggested a Sesame Care telehealth visit:

"Thanks we will try that next, so far...
1. our clinic, require appt but have no appts available
2. Amazon, must be between 18 and 65
3. Walgreens, ineligible no reason given
4. another of mom's doctors, they were at lunch
5. Bartells, they don't do that and don't know anybody that died
Evergreen primary care, we have a video visit at 1:20, we'll see how that goes"

They're in their late 60s and his mom has a heart issue. This country is loving demented. Oh and this is in the Seattle metro area, a true bastion of progressivism!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Trust the decision-based evidence-making!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Please don't put in the paper it was SARS-Cov-2

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Just used sesamecare and man, the mandatory videochat suuuucks so much! It's impossible to have any actual good video quality through their website. Thankfully it seems like the practitioner took it in stride and wound up writing back n forth and managed to fill out another prescription for me.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how’s that physics girl going? she still bed bound? :(

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but has anyone ever taken a test that was negative and hours later saw a faint line making it positive? I'm asking because instructions seem to indicate that you only pay attention to the result with a specific window of time(15-30 minutes or from taking the test or thereabouts).

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

! IIRC !

that line will show up eventually no matter what after a significant amount of time has passed. you should only pay attention to the initial window of time.

test again tomorrow and see what happens.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

toggle posted:

how’s that physics girl going? she still bed bound? :(

Her last tweet:

https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1696667972515852450

And her last Instagram post from 9 weeks ago:

quote:

(Dianna's editor posting) Dianna is currently suffering from a multi-week crash. It's been over a year since she got sick and she will still crash from any minor mental or physical stress. These crashes are the result from her severe MCAS and ME/CFS.

I started helping Kyle and Dianna full-time here a couple months ago, and it's surreal to see her state. I think when you're not around it, it's easy for the time to pass, or to assume the time goes by relatively easy from her bedroom. But it doesn't.

Dianna still doesn't consume anything that is potentially overstimulating for her mind. She doesn't watch movies, read books, or listen to music. She's able to speak more throughout the day than she used to, and she develops little funny sentences or short songs in her head. But other than that, you're looking at it. These pictures are the exact place she has been laying since January, unable to even get up and use the bathroom.

This disease is slow, very slow. Some weeks are worse than others...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

satisfying to see this in writing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bedpan posted:

reported for doubting your doctor

Reporting the doctor for suggesting that there might be any difference at all between vaccine brands.

Remember how upset liberals got when “inner city” Chicagoans rejected Johnson & Johnson’s product?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Truecrime video so feel free to skip it if it isn't your thing but I enjoyed the exchange at 11:56
(timestamped in the below link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdNAk9lN6_s&t=716s
Murder suspect throws up

COP: "Is it like a stomach bug, or you got the flu? What's going on, talk to me."

MURDERER: "covid"

No one blinks. Cops go on with interview. Numerous people go in and out of the small interview room.

COVID is over yall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

empireofcrime posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but has anyone ever taken a test that was negative and hours later saw a faint line making it positive? I'm asking because instructions seem to indicate that you only pay attention to the result with a specific window of time(15-30 minutes or from taking the test or thereabouts).

There are mechanisms that can in principle make the test turn positive after enough time, even in the absence of SARS‑CoV‑2 proteins.

That said, I’ve left out multiple brands overnight to see if anything happens, and so have some people I’ve chatted with about it, and we’ve never seen it in practice. I’d be extremely suspicious if I tested myself, got a negative at thirty minutes, but when I walked by it an hour later, it had gone positive. That seems like it might be a weak but true positive. I’d test again, repeatedly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

empireofcrime posted:

My daughter got covid at the beginning of the year, and we managed to keep it from spreading throughout the family. We tested everyone else in the house over and over, and we all got negatives. One of my son's tests turned positive after like 45 minutes, but we were never able to reproduce it with additional testing, and he never presented symptoms. I still wonder about that.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i've kept negative tests for ages and the stain would move but never would remotely look like a clean straight line. that's supposed to be invisible without antigen

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Emergency visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities applying the state's weekly ratio of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 and HHS' total ED visits due to all causes. The HHS report holding ED visits updates after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the average of the past three weeks of HHS' total visits combined with the state's most recently published ratio of ED visits attributed to COVID for that week.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Oct 08            -        -        -        -    + 1,027       1,027
Oct 01            -        -        -    1,190      + 103       1,293
Sep 24            -        -    2,358   -1,004          -       1,354
Sep 17            -    1,361    1,352   -1,201          -       1,512
Sep 10        1,420      199    1,272   -1,250          -       1,641
All Older       598        -   26,624  -21,207          -          

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Oct 08            -        -        -        -      + 372         372
Oct 01            -        -        -      362        - 3         359
Sep 24            -        -      341        9          -         350
Sep 17            -      326       10       20          -         356
Sep 10          302       60        -       17          -         379
All Older       553        -       65        5          -          
Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities flagged with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Oct 08            -        -        -        -    + 2,394       2,394
Oct 01            -        -        -    2,380        + 7       2,387
Sep 24            -        -    2,429       21        + 7       2,457
Sep 17            -    2,450        -       21       + 14       2,485
Sep 10        2,268        -        -       14       + 28       2,310
All Older         7       -7        -     -455      + 469          
Recent deaths certified/coded as or referencing to COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of info pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears two Fridays before the state's Wednesday report. This will make it look like the state is behind on reporting these, however they only report up to the week they feel the data is complete, which will be the second most recent week in the graph below.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:				7-Day
Oct 08            -        -        -        -          -           -
Oct 01            -        -        -        -        + 8           8
Sep 24            -        -        -       31        + 3          34
Sep 17            -        -       28        1        + 1          30
Sep 10            -       10       19        1        + 1          31
All Older        32       19        8        1        + 1          
And now for the least useful metric...

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Oct 08            -        -        -        -    + 2,483       2,483
Oct 01            -        -        -    2,918      + 376       3,294
Sep 24            -        -    3,712      152       + 45       3,909
Sep 17            -    3,932      252       37       + 22       4,243
Sep 10        4,059      254       50       26       + 44       4,433
All Older       243       69       16        3      + 196          

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DickParasite posted:

Her last tweet:

https://twitter.com/thephysicsgirl/status/1696667972515852450

And her last Instagram post from 9 weeks ago:

awful :smith:

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

My daughter got covid at the beginning of the year, and we managed to keep it from spreading throughout the family. We tested everyone else in the house over and over, and we all got negatives. One of my son's tests turned positive after like 45 minutes, but we were never able to reproduce it with additional testing, and he never presented symptoms. I still wonder about that.

Appreciate the responses, I'll just chalk this up to the always exciting rollercoaster of uncertainty that goes along with covid.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Please don't put in the paper it was SARS-Cov-2

"What are you gonna do? Infect me?"
-quote from man infected

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1714706853010014540?s=46

“ “

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I, for one, will not be speculating that a celebrity described as having “COVID‐like symptoms” might have contracted the disease COVID‑19.

quote:

Out of an abundance of caution, he is not attending his public events today. The Summit is continuing as planned featuring his Senior Advisor on Technology, Jason Goldman.

Out of an abundance of caution, I will not be driving drunk with the lights off tonight.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Oct 19, 2023

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Grain of salt since a cursory glance at this guy's timeline doesn't seem to give off crank vibes, but not sure. Mainly interested in what he's proposing about the current covid variants and if anyone in here has seen anything similar:
https://x.com/DrDan20000/status/1714454068880671171?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm starting to see an uptick of people posting about cancelled gigs or trying to give away tickets they suddenly can't use (for undisclosed reasons) on my socials

Also I mentioned recently that a friend caught covid while holidaying around Europe and the UK, turns out it was his 3rd (identified) bout of covid and it looks like he's been left with post-acute fatigue and possibly some other sequelae, he's struggling to get stuff done now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrDan20000/status/1714469632814588187?t=6OtUYDWjf4r8YvcNQ3gyyw&s=19

:psyduck:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Paxlovid price revealed to be... $1400

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-price-covid-19-drug-paxlovid-1400-five-day-course-wsj-2023-10-18/

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Calling 4 different telehealth doctors simultaneously rn

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jesus lol (not lol)

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Lol every article is like "[...] but cost is expected to be low or zero for consumers after health insurance."

Thank god everyone in the US has health insurance.

Thank god health insurance companies in the US aren't notorious for turning down claims.

Thank god covid only severely impacts people with complications, so the health insurance industry will be justified in declining to pay for paxlovid for lower-risk people.

Thank god the people who don't have health insurance aren't also poor and can totally afford a $1,400 expense.

Thank god the people who don't have health insurance aren't also more likely to be obese, diabetic, or have other comorbidities.

E: oh I read the article and it will stay free to uninsured people until 2028. That's good I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gonna be curious to see how insurance deals with sesamecare and other online clinics once pax goes commercial

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cretin90 posted:

Lol every article is like "[...] but cost is expected to be low or zero for consumers after health insurance."

Thank god everyone in the US has health insurance.

Thank god health insurance companies in the US aren't notorious for turning down claims.

Thank god covid only severely impacts people with complications, so the health insurance industry will be justified in declining to pay for paxlovid for lower-risk people.

Thank god the people who don't have health insurance aren't also poor and can totally afford a $1,400 expense.

Thank god the people who don't have health insurance aren't also more likely to be obese, diabetic, or have other comorbidities.

E: oh I read the article and it will stay free to uninsured people until 2028. That's good I guess.

Also, even if you have health insurance, will the pill mills continue prescribing it when it's no longer free?

And if not, how many people's doctors will prescribe it for them?

And if you win the lotto and have a doomer doc AND insurance, can you get an appointment with your doctor fast enough to have a prescription inside of the "5 days after symptoms start" window?

Good for rich people with concierge docs I guess.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

on top of the nightmarish price increase has there been any research on how much less effective pax might be on newer variants if that can be measured in a meaningful way

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

empireofcrime posted:

on top of the nightmarish price increase has there been any research on how much less effective pax might be on newer variants if that can be measured in a meaningful way

Have you considered the fewer people that have access to Paxlovid, the longer it will stay effective for private jet suck n fucks?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

empireofcrime posted:

Pingui posted:

Substantial drop in the efficiency of Paxlovid at preventing hospitalization, relative to initial results, possibly due to vaccinations and prior infections reducing inherent risk. Hopefully not because of differences between variants (as the author alternatively suggests).
"Nirmatrelvir or Molnupiravir Use and Severe Outcomes From Omicron Infections"

Article on the matter:

Though molnupiravir's effectiveness holding up (iirc, it was the ~same as here) offhand suggests it is a variant difference, this could alternatively be down to differences in when and to whom each one is prescribed.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Theoretically, pax being super-exclusive would preserve it's effectiveness, but covid variants move fast enough that it may not matter

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

lol just lmao

of course we need to stimulate number with a global pandemic

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you americans have no idea how good you had it with free/cheap pax, and it being reasonably accessible. clearly this was a bureaucratic mistake someone made, just took a long time to get it sorted out.

good to see the natural order of things is restored, and us healthcare regains its rightful position of "worst"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mola Yam posted:

you americans have no idea how good you had it with free/cheap pax, and it being reasonably accessible. clearly this was a bureaucratic mistake someone made, just took a long time to get it sorted out.

good to see the natural order of things is restored, and us healthcare regains its rightful position of "worst"

they can't have people realizing that the federal government can actually just wave a wand and make everyone's lives better. the Market must rule.