Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

To kill 500 people that someone thought were soldiers camped out next to the vehicles someone thought were technicals

Maera Sior posted:

If they're trying to get people to leave the hospital but don't want to risk collapsing it, targeting the hospital grounds might be a next step. If this were the case, and there were more people than they expected, I would expect it to play out as we saw: Take credit, then backpedal when the body count was announced.

This is based on what has been said by administrators, that the hospital was already targeted and received phone calls telling them to evacuate.

As I stated, if either of these were their goals, why not pick adjacent to a bigger target?

PT6A posted:

I mean, yeah, Dad, it looks pretty bad. My room smells like smoke and you caught me with a pack the other day, and yes there's butts from that same brand on the carpet, but I swear to god, a crazy person broke in and smoked the cigarettes that totally weren't mine -- I don't even smoke, I'd never smoke -- in my room.

There was a bombing of a hospital that Israel specifically warned would be bombed, by them. In what farcical, stupid universe are we supposed to believe this was a completely unrelated incident?

How did IDF gently caress up so bad that they missed their targeted building?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mannerup posted:

mentioned this on the last page but is he currently a member of the government in any official capacity? I see him being cited as a former digital media officer of Netanyahu and can't find anything on his current status. He appears to be just some state sponsored social media influencer dipshit, not some kind of Netanyahu confidant.

Rubellavator posted:

Here's Netanyahu at his wedding back in January giving a speech.

https://twitter.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1617879346152374274

If you watch the clip, Netanyahu says that Hananya works for him and "produces content".

I can't find any indication he's quit since January.

And he's a social media guy but I'd have expected him to be in the loop to the point of not getting his information from reuters like he claimed.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mannerup posted:

my point is how is it known he has access to privileged inside information? I don’t doubt he continues to be a strong supporter of Netanyahu and has/had a long working history with but I don’t see how he directly speaks for the government in an official capacity

Yeah, if he's just a social media strategy guy for Netanyahu or something that just makes him a dipshit on the internet. Is there evidence he's more than that?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mannerup posted:

my point is how is it known he has access to privileged inside information? I don’t doubt he continues to be a strong supporter of Netanyahu and had a long working history with but I don’t see how he directly speaks for the government in an official capacity

He's in the IDF and a long-time advisor to Netanyahu would answer the access question. Or at least was, hard to imagine he has any job left now.

Kalit posted:

As I stated, if either of these were their goals, why not pick adjacent to a bigger target?

How did IDF gently caress up so bad that they missed their targeted building?

If the target was not the building but instead what they'd misidentified as a 'hamas base' inside the building then it appears they were extremely accurate.

to be clear i have no clue what happened beyond what can be seen and am not claiming any concrete knowledge, I'm just talking through the possibility that the attack was something other than the IDF using a jdam to flatten the entire hospital complex.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kalit posted:

I'm not getting what you're asking. Are you asking if their target was to hit a bunch of people, why not hit a bigger crowd? Or a bigger building?

ETA: Seriously, someone please explain this to me, it seems like I'm not parsing this right.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 19, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

mannerup posted:

my point is how is it known he has access to privileged inside information? I don’t doubt he continues to be a strong supporter of Netanyahu and has/had a long working history with but I don’t see how he directly speaks for the government in an official capacity

It wasn't even on an official account, it was a personal twitter account.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Kalit posted:

How did IDF gently caress up so bad
Consider reading a newspaper or history book.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Look sometimes I just get so excited about denying some war crimes I think my country has done, that I do it before I'm told we didn't actually do a war crime! loving sue me, who among us hasn't made that mistake?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Maera Sior posted:

I'm not getting what you're asking. Are you asking if their target was to hit a bunch of people, why not hit a bigger crowd? Or a bigger building?

ETA: Seriously, someone please explain this to me, it seems like I'm not parsing this right.

Since you were suggesting it's possible that the IDF was trying to get people to leave a hospital, why wouldn't they strike adjacent to a bigger hospital?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2023

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kalit posted:

Since you were suggesting it's possible that the IDF was trying to get people to leave a hospital, why wouldn't they strike adjacent to a bigger hospital?

They wanted that one cleared out for some reason. It had already been targeted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mannerup posted:

im not arguing he isn’t a complete dipshit and would just make poo poo up for Netanyahu during the initial reporting of the hospital attack, but that doesn’t really lend any credibility to him as a source of inside information

Well, there's two options. Either he had an official source of information and went off half-cocked, or he didn't have an official source of information and drew the exact conclusion that every other sane person did, which is that Israel was responsible for this crime against humanity. I suppose it's not proof in any real sense, but if the friend of an artist says "yeah I'm pretty sure he made that painting" then I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to prove it's a forgery.

Israel said it was going to bomb hospitals (inasmuch as it warned people to evacuate). Israel warned that it would bomb this exact hospital. Israel has bombed hospitals in the past. Israel has the capability to bomb this hospital in the way that it was bombed. You'd have to be a loving imbecile to draw any other conclusion but: Israel did, in fact, bomb this hospital. Naftali might be a prick, but he's not a moron.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

They wanted that one cleared out for some reason. It had already been targeted.

If a hospital was the main goal, don't you think Al-Shifa would have made more sense as a larger target? Especially for PR reasons, as there is already a history of mis-use of it by Hamas that IDF could hide behind?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mannerup posted:

that’s my point, there’s plenty of other better evidence to make the case

Fair enough. This is pretty powerful circumstantial evidence, mind. If I was known to have shot and killed several people, and I threatened to shoot and kill a certain person, and then that person was found shot to death, I would expect me to be the first suspect, even if someone else shot and killed that specific person.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Israel said it was going to bomb hospitals (inasmuch as it warned people to evacuate). Israel warned that it would bomb this exact hospital. Israel has bombed hospitals in the past. Israel has the capability to bomb this hospital in the way that it was bombed. You'd have to be a loving imbecile to draw any other conclusion but: Israel did, in fact, bomb this hospital. Naftali might be a prick, but he's not a moron.
Just to be 100% clear, Israel actually struck this exact hospital with missiles on two occasions in the days prior to this event

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Given the history of IDF actions, the rhetoric of the IDF and the Israeli government, and the orders to evacuate the hospital that the staff refused to obey, I honestly don't think it's unreasonable to entertain the possibility that they wanted to force people away from the hospital as part of the screamingly obvious strategy of denying basic services to the Palestinians. They may not have thought they'd kill as many people as they did, or they might not have been thinking about international optics and so didn't care.

They hit a UN school today, they'd already hit that hospital at least twice. They hit medical facilities regularly as noted by the WHO in one of the posts earlier in this thread, and they were bombing so close to a larger hospital today that it was being hit with debris/shrapnel. There is no particularly credible reason not to entertain plain malice as a factor in how the IDF would come to hit a crowd of civilians in a location of humanitarian necessity and de-facto sanctuary. In a region they have placed under siege and are denying food, power, medical aid, and drinking water to, to the extent that residents are drinking sea water to try stay alive.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 19, 2023

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

There are basically two ways you can approach the evidence in this hospital case. Either Israel is evil and bombed the hospital on purpose in order to exterminate as many Palestinians as possible because they hate the Palestinians, or Israel does evil in order to establish security over the territory they have claimed, and for their people.

Intentionally bombing the hospital would not help Israel achieve either strategic objective, extermination or security, as the reaction to the explosion has been the establishment of a humanitarian corridor from the Egyptian border, further delays to the potential ground invasion, outrage and instability in the neighboring Arab states, and diplomatic risk to the US-Israel relationship. All of those outcomes could have easily been foreseen if either assumption about the nature of Israel were true, so unless you think there is no rationality to their actions, the likelihood of an intentional attack like this is diminished.

Even if you think Israel both is evil and does evil, they haven't shown themselves to be incapable of rationalizing and achieving their strategic objectives in the past. Consider your orientation on that issue and how your preconceptions influence your willingness to consider the evidence wherever you stand on this horrific incident.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2023

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kalit posted:

If a hospital was the main goal, don't you think Al-Shifa would have made more sense as a larger target? Especially for PR reasons, as there is already a history of mis-use of it by Hamas that IDF could hide behind?

Look, I can't tell you why that one was targeted over others. But it was already targeted twice (along with warning phone calls) so at some point you have to accept that they thought it was a good idea.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What's the possibility the hospital courtyard was hit with an artillery round opposed to a bomb? And maybe an airburst artillery round?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

BeefThief posted:

There are basically two ways you can approach the evidence in this hospital case. Either Israel is evil and bombed the hospital on purpose in order to exterminate as many Palestinians as possible because they hate the Palestinians, or Israel does evil in order to establish security over the territory they have claimed, and for their people.

Intentionally bombing the hospital would not help Israel achieve either strategic objective, extermination or security, as the reaction to the explosion has been the establishment of a humanitarian corridor from the Egyptian border, further delays to the potential ground invasion, outrage and instability in the neighboring Arab states, and diplomatic risk to the US-Israel relationship. All of those outcomes could have easily been foreseen if either assumption about the nature of Israel were true, so unless you think there is no rationality to their actions, the likelihood of an intentional attack like this is diminished.

Even if you think Israel both is evil and does evil, they haven't shown themselves to be incapable of rationalizing and achieving their strategic objectives in the past. Consider your orientation on that issue and how your preconceptions influence your willingness to consider the evidence wherever you stand on this horrific incident.

This is a good viewpoint. While I understand not giving the benefit of the doubt to an actor which many view as "genocidal", I am also reluctant when I see these people giving benefit of the doubt to a US-designated sponsor of terrorism and retrading on whether babies were beheaded.

There's a place in this world to condemn both, but many take sides quickly and approach the other in bad faith. If you're gonna call the IDF monsters for targetting civilians, you sure better be condemning Hamas for the same.

Israel gains nothing by bombing a hospital, and if they wanted to target hospitals and schools and civilians intentionally, they would have been able to wipe out the entire Gaza Strip in hours. That doesn't excuse the outcome or their actions and what happened, but if they truly had the intent of mass genocide it would have been accomplished already.

Nor would it make sense to invade by ground and take on risk of further Israeli deaths, were it not for the hostages.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

This is a good viewpoint. While I understand not giving the benefit of the doubt to an actor which many view as "genocidal", I am also reluctant when I see these people giving benefit of the doubt to a US-designated sponsor of terrorism and retrading on whether babies were beheaded.

There's a place in this world to condemn both, but many take sides quickly and approach the other in bad faith. If you're gonna call the IDF monsters for targetting civilians, you sure better be condemning Hamas for the same.

Israel gains nothing by bombing a hospital, and if they wanted to target hospitals and schools and civilians intentionally, they would have been able to wipe out the entire Gaza Strip in hours. That doesn't excuse the outcome or their actions and what happened, but if they truly had the intent of mass genocide it would have been accomplished already.

Nor would it make sense to invade by ground and take on risk of further Israeli deaths, were it not for the hostages.

Israel does target hospitals and schools intentionally. Have you not been paying attention? They had already dropped "warning" bombs on this specific hospital on the 14th.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Israel does target hospitals and schools intentionally. Have you not been paying attention? They had already dropped "warning" bombs on this specific hospital on the 14th.

According to whom? Whose intent?

Even the Israeli leaders can't give a clear answer: https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023/10/18/what-is-israels-narrative-on-the-gaza-hospital-explosion

Again, if they wanted to target and bomb hospitals and schools intentionally, there's many others in Gaza Strip and they wouldn't bother with this press cherade.

Why bother with a "warning" bomb? I'm trying to not be insensitive to this disaster while trying to understand your logic here.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mannerup posted:

im not arguing he isn’t a complete dipshit and would just make poo poo up on Netanyahu’s behalf during the initial reporting of the hospital attack, but that doesn’t really lend any credibility to him as a source of inside information

yeah it was pretty clearly this guy was basically TVIV'ing the war (if you look at his account, his job is internet man) and whooping as people died. The chances of this guy actually having a direct line to who is bombing/planning is very slim.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Let's say he's just a stupid internet dipshit: why would his initial guess be "we did this, but it's all good, there were terrorists there"? Either it's because he's deranged, or because he realizes it's incredibly loving likely that the state of Israel committed this war crime.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i fly airplanes posted:

Even the Israeli leaders can't give a clear answer: https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023/10/18/what-is-israels-narrative-on-the-gaza-hospital-explosion

Again, if they wanted to target and bomb hospitals and schools intentionally, there's many others in Gaza Strip and they wouldn't bother with this press cherade.

Why bother with a "warning" bomb? I'm trying to not be insensitive to this disaster while trying to understand your logic here.

This is very interesting. It's definitely possible someone made up a warning bomb story for the exact place a Hamas rocket would later accidentally blow up.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

yeah it was pretty clearly this guy was basically TVIV'ing the war (if you look at his account, his job is internet man) and whooping as people died. The chances of this guy actually having a direct line to who is bombing/planning is very slim.

How many internet mans do you know whose wedding was attended by, and featured a speech given by, the head of government?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There are plenty of examples of countries committing war crimes without escalating to full-scale genocide.

Reasoning that because a country has the capability to kill everyone and aren't doing it, that therefore they can't be guilty of a specific war crime like bombing a hospital, does not make a lot of sense to me.

I mean how would this reasoning apply to Russia. Russia is a nuclear power and could kill everyone in Ukraine, yet they don't. Does that mean that they must not have intentionally bombed those hospitals in Ukraine since if they wanted to maximize civilian casualties they could have killed more?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i fly airplanes posted:

As politely as possible: If your standards for reasonability are that people uncritically accept blood libel there is zero reason for anyone to care what you deem to be “good faith” or give any credence to your analysis of motives, non-genocidal nature of long-term ethnic cleaning campaigns, etc.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Let's say he's just a stupid internet dipshit: why would his initial guess be "we did this, but it's all good, there were terrorists there"? Either it's because he's deranged, or because he realizes it's incredibly loving likely that the state of Israel committed this war crime.

Is it really so alien? Lets look at our own history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmwYNS97EbE

I don't understand the need to argue over this guy in particular, you've got a video of the hospital being bombed. Some twitter post don't matter too much.

Fuschia tude posted:

How many internet mans do you know whose wedding was attended by, and featured a speech given by, the head of government?

The israeli government is amateur hour, sure. They've got no real impetus to be a tight operation you might expect out of a say more sanitized U.S. military officials w/r/t social media. Being bloodthirsty at all times in fact plays well with their voters, from what I've seen.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Hey can you take a look at this post I made asking you to explain your post?

Giggs posted:

i fly airplanes posted:

A lot of OSINT and reporting on the hospital showing it clearly wasn't the target:
Even if inconclusive, it's clear if the hospital was meant to be destroyed by the IDF it would have been.
Where in this article does it clearly state that the hospital wasn't the target? I don't see that at all. This article largely makes no conclusive statements whatsoever and all it does is provide speculation about possibilities with practically no evidence. "A lot of OSINT" is worse than worthless. Either post them along with verification from actual experts, or don't bother even saying it.

Even if what is inconclusive? If the purpose of the attack was to kill human beings that they knew were surrounding the building then they wouldn't need to destroy the building. The article clearly states that their own findings are inconclusive. A PoliSci associate professor says it was rocket fuel. What the gently caress does he know? A Bronk agrees it might have been caused by rocket fuel. Not conclusive by any stretch of the imagination. An employee of a risk assessment company says it wasn't a Hellfire missile. Alright. That does not address literally any other possibility.

Is this supposed to be a considered, serious report? Am I supposed to pretend like this is meaningful in any way?

This post reads like an extremely transparent attempt to just state conclusions without evidence or even an argument.

Please and thank you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

i fly airplanes posted:

Are you suggesting that Israel would drop nukes on their own doorstep or are you just wildly underestimating how much conventional bombing it takes to level 100+ square miles of urban terrain? Israel's bombing campaign has already eclipsed the past few rounds of war in Gaza in intensity and has hit multiple hospitals and schools (although if you're feeling charitable, most such hits seem to be indirect and incidental, probably more negligent than deliberate.) By what standards are they demonstrating restraint beyond the basic self preservation of not bathing their own country in radioactive fallout?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

according to israel

https://www.who.int/news/item/14-10...ick-and-injured

here is the who condemning israel telling hospitals to evacuate

https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/gaza-hospitals-are-facing-catastrophe-says-archbishop-canterbury

and about how the hospital had been hit with "warning" bombs on saturday

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope are clearly just both pussies who love terrorism and Hamas, and I saw them kissing Hamas, and after they were done kissing Hamas I heard them say "jews suck."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

LGD posted:

As politely as possible: If your standards for reasonability are that people uncritically accept blood libel there is zero reason for anyone to care what you deem to be “good faith” or give any credence to your analysis of motives, non-genocidal nature of long-term ethnic cleaning campaigns, etc.

Can you explain a bit by what you mean by blood libel?

I do believe that successive Israeli governments and the settlers/far right in Israel is engaging in the long-term displacement/forced relocation of Palestinians in the West Bank, but it's my understanding up until this war, they had very little interest in occupying the Gaza Strip.

The lack of good faith is how some reasoned that Israel deserved the terrorist attack.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

according to israel

https://www.who.int/news/item/14-10...ick-and-injured

here is the who condemning israel telling hospitals to evacuate

https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/gaza-hospitals-are-facing-catastrophe-says-archbishop-canterbury

and about how the hospital had been hit with "warning" bombs on saturday

I agree with the WHO statements totally, but they are not claiming Israel is bombing hospitals and intending to do that. Both are statements condemning the evacuation order.

The "warning" bomb, I did not find anything relating to a practice like that in your links, it briefly mentioned "Israeli rocket fire". Warning kind of ascribes intent/motive.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 19, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kalit posted:

reporting over the last week suggest there are 35000-40000 idps sheltering in Al-Shifa. here there were only ~1000 according to reports. al Shifa also tends to have way more journalists around and indeed has been in the news quite a bit recently. for reference to just how packed it is, https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2023/10/14/photos-displaced-palestinians-staying-the-shifa-hospital-ground

i fly airplanes posted:

Israel clearly wants hospitals in Gaza to not be places of refuge, hence why they tried to force the evacuation of all of Gaza's hospitals 4 days ago (eg https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1713277138437038573?s=20 ) and only relented in the face of overwhelming international pressure. Attacking a hospital would serve to shatter the perception that hospitals are a place of refuge or safety. So there certainly is a rationale for what Israel would gain from it vis a vis their public goals just days ago, though I doubt anyone here would dispute that the cost:benefit of actually doing it would be utterly stupid.

i genuinely do not know how much rationality can be ascribed to Israel right now and the kind of rationality that applies to states in the context of international politics is not really the same kind of rationality people think of wrt individual decisionmaking. things that are rational to one country are very often not rational to another.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

Can you explain a bit by what you mean by blood libel?

I do believe that successive Israeli governments and the settlers/far right in Israel is engaging in the long-term displacement/forced relocation of Palestinians in the West Bank, but it's my understanding up until this war, they had very little interest in occupying the Gaza Strip.

The lack of good faith is how some reasoned that Israel deserved the terrorist attack.

before hamas took over the gaza strip, there were israeli settlements in the gaza strip. the plan has always been to drive the palestinians out of the west bank and gaza strip, not just the west bank and leave the gaza strip alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BeefThief posted:

There are other possibilities though.

Maybe Israel did have a strategic goal in mind, but didn't expect the attack on the hospital would kill 500 people and become a front page PR disaster for them instead of another footnote in a history book, and are now covering their rear end.

Or maybe Israel really did think Hamas was massing forces there to use the hospital staff as human shields, which is something they claim Hamas is doing with hospitals anyway.

Or maybe Israel hit it by accident. Or maybe IJ did, I dunno, but there are more possible explanations than "Israelis is just evil" and "Israel is irrational"