Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Well, that pretty much kills any idea of me playing this at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Straight outta 2003

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Streets of Cities:Skylines

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Even reviewers playing with beyond the recommended specs are saying that past 50k population the game becomes unplayable as the simulation starts to hitch and you have to point the camera at the ground to not have single digit fps.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

well that's a bummer :sigh:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mfcrocker posted:

It seems like the review embargo has lifted, and mostly folks are having problems with it being a bit of a step back from fully fledged CS1

is any of this because of like, the same problem CK3 had where obviously a brand new game isn't on day 1 gonna be as full as the previous game with 5+ years of DLC and enhancements

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

is any of this because of like, the same problem CK3 had where obviously a brand new game isn't on day 1 gonna be as full as the previous game with 5+ years of DLC and enhancements

Well yeah. It's Paradox's business model.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yes a lot of it is that. I'm not surprised it's the case personally, but I also don't have any problems with reviewers going "this is horseshit and I don't want to play without XYZ from CS1"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

not going to be purchasing CS2 until CO brings back the garbage bandaid implementation of the park/industry/campus zone mechanic and the useless fishing boats

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tatsuta Age posted:

The community is also VERY dependent on mods, and while CO did integrate the functionality of some of the mods, they didn't do all of them. Stuff like MoveIt and Anarchy. The upside is I imagine those mods will exist for CS2 like, 2 hours after it launches. If that. Assuming the new mod platform works?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vahakyla posted:

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

turn off the TV posted:

not going to be purchasing CS2 until CO brings back the garbage bandaid implementation of the park/industry/campus zone mechanic and the useless fishing boats

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

Even reviewers playing with beyond the recommended specs are saying that past 50k population the game becomes unplayable as the simulation starts to hitch and you have to point the camera at the ground to not have single digit fps.

Why the games must have poop agents these days? Why isn’t a simulation on a level of sim city 2000 enough?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Oof this sounds dire.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ihmemies posted:

Why the games must have poop agents these days? Why isn’t a simulation on a level of sim city 2000 enough?

The issue isn't the simulation. The issue is the intense gpu load that no card currently on the market can handle.

Play on low settings.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cities-Skylines-2-Spiel-74219/Tests/Release-Benchmarks-Performance-Tuning-Tipps-1431613/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if pointing at the ground fixes it then it's obviously not simulation load its rendering load.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeC posted:

The issue isn't the simulation. The issue is the intense gpu load that no card currently on the market can handle.

Play on low settings.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cities-Skylines-2-Spiel-74219/Tests/Release-Benchmarks-Performance-Tuning-Tipps-1431613/

4090 produces sub 40fps at 1080p? Yeah no I’ll pass thanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ihmemies posted:

4090 produces sub 40fps at 1080p? Yeah no I’ll pass thanks.

there's no real way of knowing if they were running the game at 1080p, the in game resolution selection apparently doesn't work

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's not a brand new game, it's a sequel. Do you think they threw all the old code in the bin?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

even if a specific feature was going to have literally the exact same mechanics in CS2, I guarantee you enough other stuff has changed as to require at least a 70-80% rewrite of that code and it would not surprise me at all if it was a 100% rewrite

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

there's no real way of knowing if they were running the game at 1080p, the in game resolution selection apparently doesn't work

Not great for 4K either. My 3080 will run it at 10-20fps then without dlss.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

VostokProgram posted:

even if a specific feature was going to have literally the exact same mechanics in CS2, I guarantee you enough other stuff has changed as to require at least a 70-80% rewrite of that code and it would not surprise me at all if it was a 100% rewrite

Extremely unlikely

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

Extremely unlikely

it's actually extremely likely because there's no way that CS2 could have unlimited agents otherwise

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
More games just copy paste code from the older games. It's bullshit that sequels take so long these days. Lazy bastards.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cygni posted:

The community is also VERY dependent on mods, and while CO did integrate the functionality of some of the mods, they didn't do all of them. Stuff like MoveIt and Anarchy. The upside is I imagine those mods will exist for CS2 like, 2 hours after it launches. If that. Assuming the new mod platform works?

Sounds like the new mod platform will no be operational on launch.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Well, this sounds like another unfinished game launching unfinished. Shame, I think the best bet is to just wait or play on game pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah... going to wait to see CPP's big test but the performance seems worse than I expected. I figured it wouldn't run well on most machines but those of us dumb enough to build a new one in the past year or two would be fine. I was not expecting "it kinda struggles on a 4090".

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lord Packinham posted:

Well, this sounds like another unfinished game launching unfinished. Shame, I think the best bet is to just wait or play on game pass.

Fairly typical these days, sadly. I'm actually not that concerned for the future though. I haven't heard much if any complaining about bugs and crashes, so to me it sounds like this is actually a solid foundation to build on. If it was buggy and unoptimized I'd say that'd be a huge red flag, but to me it seems like they're launching with a bunch of new features that couldn't have been done without substantial changes to the old game, and those new features actually work as intended. That's not a bad place to start optimizing from. It's much harder to do optimization if you also have to try to fix or work around broken poo poo all the time. It still remains to be seen though how much and how quickly they can optimize.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Sounds like the new mod platform will no be operational on launch.

Woof, i thought it was gonna be up by next week. Yeah i might hold off a bit too... if I have any self control.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As is this isn't going to run on current gen consoles worth a poo poo, so hopefully the optimization they're doing for that before the console release will make it perform much better on PC too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
C:S isn’t a particularly pretty franchise either so if these performances issues are real and widespread, it’s gonna feel like another Starfield.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My hunch would be that the console delay is not for polishing but because at its current performance it didn't run at anything but Very Low without thermally crashing the box.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
idk why paradox went this route for saying you can remake the city of cyberpunk 2077

i don't think it being a trashfire release was what they had in mind

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Omnicarus posted:

That sounds like a stupid implementation problem. Looking down just culls stuff for the GPU to render, the agent simulation still runs regardless. So they have just stop setting up and rendering agents no one cares about (cars and people), that'll probably be less than a pixel tall on screen anyway.

In light of UE5's Nanite and the trillion triangles it renders at 60fps, static assets surely can't be the issue.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't Nanite only performant for truly static geometry, like completely baked into the scene at development time? CS2 buildings are static but they aren't that static, they appear and disappear and can be moved at any time.

e: I agree that smarter culling would be good, but since I'm guessing most players want to be able to see cars even on a far away road I think they'll have to use aggressive LODs instead

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 19, 2023

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

it's fine. i'll still eat their slop

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That sounds like a stupid implementation problem. Looking down just culls stuff for the GPU to render, the agent simulation still runs regardless. So they have just stop setting up and rendering agents no one cares about (cars and people), that'll probably be less than a pixel tall on screen anyway.

In light of UE5's Nanite and the trillion triangles it renders at 60fps, static assets surely can't be the issue.

it's 50k based on the size of the city and all the poo poo that's rendering, not 50k pop of agents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't the video say that an empty but big city runs a lot better than one with agents, which suggests it is either agent based or the rendering of the agents which is causing it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't the video say that an empty but big city runs a lot better than one with agents, which suggests it is either agent based or the rendering of the agents which is causing it.

it sounds like it's a GPU and VRAM bottleneck, not a CPU one, so I really doubt that it's got anything to do with the actual simulation of the agents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

On the CPP stream he said if you have a 30 or 40 series card the CPU literally does not matter at all, the performance was identical with every one he tried. If you have below that, the CPU can affect your performance. Also said more VRAM was the biggest single performance booster, hardware-wise.