Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Lunar Suite posted:

they were comparing the configuration files for the test environment and live environment.

in microsoft excel,

by pasting the plaintext documents next to each other and using a simple equals comparison to see which lines weren't exactly identical.

obviously this is a lot worse than using an actual diff tool, but it's honestly a pretty clever solution for a nontechnical user doing the best with the tools they know how to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

akadajet posted:

I mean. it’s happened before for amd64. and windows has been built for different cpus for a long time now

jumping to a new thing isn't the same as not requiring support for the old thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

assuming one has zero build pipeline, how do devs safely sign code with the org cert

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

assuming one has zero build pipeline, how do devs safely sign code with the org cert

I don't want you to research. I don't want you to try things. I don't want you to write to your architect, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the deployment and the integration and the contractors and the bugs in the code.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a programmer, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your aerons. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

"Very Carefully!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plorkyeran posted:

obviously this is a lot worse than using an actual diff tool, but it's honestly a pretty clever solution for a nontechnical user doing the best with the tools they know how to use

it is a diff tool, honestly. I like the moxie

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

I've seen that joke suggested in earnestness in the past (in the cosmetically different form of adding more byte blocks instead of widening the existing four)

regardless of the encoding used, there are two scenarios: either an ipv6v2 device is allowed to use an ipv4 address as its sole address, or it is not

in the former case, you get compat issues cause if you're 1000.1000.1000.1000 and want to talk to 6.6.6.6, you don't know if the latter is actually ipv6v2-aware until it tries to talk back to you and fails (and ofc you won't know if it failed because it's an old ipv4 device or for any other reason)

in the latter case, where there is no overlap between ipv4 and ipv6v2 and all plain 32-bit addresses are reserved for old ipv4 devices, it's equivalent to the current ipv6 impl except your boomer coworker who never liked that newfangled dhcp thing can still yell the ipv6v2 address on the phone

ty for explaining how how having wider bytes in the middle of the packet may have issues rather than be a genius protocol evolution

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
what if you kept 32 bits but each bit could be 0, 1, or 2

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the addresses get too big that way. better to use 0, 1, and 1.5

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Athas posted:

what if you kept 32 bits but each bit could be 0, 1, or 2

that'd be tits

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

doesn't the packet header have a version field? i don't see how that would matter, you would just design it as a protocol that communicates over superficially similar looking packets

routing devices would need an ipWhatever routing table. it doesn't have to intersect with the ip4 routing table

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if we used strings instead of bytes we could have emoji IPs which would be fun imo

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rotor posted:

if we used strings instead of bytes we could have emoji IPs which would be fun imo

you shouldn’t say such curses aloud, lest a trickster demon hear you and make it true

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

used to be you could just use an integer as an IP address with some parsing stacks if I recall correctly. an emoji to represent a 32-bit quantity isn’t the craziest thing, but would conflict with punycode crap I suspect

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

brb selling musk whatever ip 🤣 maps to

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
even at their current clip it will take the unicode consortium a while to allocate 4 billion codepoints to idiotic emoji bullshit

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

used to be you could just use an integer as an IP address with some parsing stacks if I recall correctly.

if by "used to be" you mean "today" and "some parsing stacks" you mean "all RFC-compliant parsing stacks" then yes

the semantics of an ipv4 address are "1-4 dot-separated integers. all integers except the last are 8 bits. the last integer is however many bits are needed to finish off the 32 bit address". the integers do not have to be in base ten; hex and octal are also acceptable

so, all of these are the same ipv4 address: (you can trivially verify this with ping or whatever on any OS)
  • 4.2.0x201
  • 4.0x2.01001
this is mostly useful to confuse people who are not using dhcp by telling them your router is at 10.1, or to get around poorly-configured filtering proxies if you are in high school

they should absolutely amend the standard to allow the use of emojis

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah but not all parsing stacks are RFC compliant, because the behaviour is confusing and pointless in modern times. try a single integer as an address in the URL bar of a bunch of browsers

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lunar Suite posted:

when i asked one of the vendors programmers if the software is 2037 compliant they said "i hope to be retired by then"

got an audible, hearty lol from me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh god is something happening in 2037 too?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

yeah but not all parsing stacks are RFC compliant, because the behaviour is confusing and pointless in modern times. try a single integer as an address in the URL bar of a bunch of browsers

browsers are pretty garbage but often still work if you just explicitly put http:// in front of it - most browsers will normalize to dotted-quad-of-base-ten-bytes before they do anything else, but they will nonetheless parse the goofy representations

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
ntp craps out on feb 7, 2036 (ntp4 fixes this), don't know what's going on in 2037

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Subjunctive posted:

in 2037 our promo packets finally go through and we're transferred into a critical path service team in mid-January of the following year

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Lunar Suite posted:

when i asked one of the vendors programmers if the software is 2037 compliant they said "i hope to be retired by then"

relateable as gently caress imo

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Subjunctive posted:

anybody still using 32 bit signed ints for Unix timestamps breaks in 2038. maybe that one?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

ShoulderDaemon posted:

if by "used to be" you mean "today" and "some parsing stacks" you mean "all RFC-compliant parsing stacks" then yes

the semantics of an ipv4 address are "1-4 dot-separated integers. all integers except the last are 8 bits. the last integer is however many bits are needed to finish off the 32 bit address". the integers do not have to be in base ten; hex and octal are also acceptable

so, all of these are the same ipv4 address: (you can trivially verify this with ping or whatever on any OS)
  • 4.2.0x201
  • 4.0x2.01001
this is mostly useful to confuse people who are not using dhcp by telling them your router is at 10.1, or to get around poorly-configured filtering proxies if you are in high school

they should absolutely amend the standard to allow the use of emojis

:captainpop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ShoulderDaemon posted:

browsers are pretty garbage but often still work if you just explicitly put [url]http://[/url] in front of it - most browsers will normalize to dotted-quad-of-base-ten-bytes before they do anything else, but they will nonetheless parse the goofy representations

I have not-infallible recollections of being yelled at by various losers when we stopped parsing all the non-dotted-quad IPv4 representations in Firefox (which would have been ~15 years ago) and I can’t imagine what would have convinced me to change my mind but it does work today on Windows at least. on iOS Firefox it behaves differently but I’m not quite sure what’s going on there. maybe I’ll remember better after a nap, or I’ll think of who to ask

Chrome and Edge search for the string "http://12341234/" which is more what I expected to see these days

how do those representations work with certificates, now that you can get them issued for IP addresses such as for DoH?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I have not-infallible recollections of being yelled at by various losers when we stopped parsing all the non-dotted-quad IPv4 representations in Firefox (which would have been ~15 years ago) and I can’t imagine what would have convinced me to change my mind but it does work today on Windows at least. on iOS Firefox it behaves differently but I’m not quite sure what’s going on there. maybe I’ll remember better after a nap, or I’ll think of who to ask

Chrome and Edge search for the string "http://12341234/" which is more what I expected to see these days

69696969 in edge does a search, but http://69696969 is converted to http://4.39.125.201

also the reason ios firefox works differently is because ios firefox is safari

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
http://12341234/ does a search in edge, probably because its not routable?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

69696969 in edge does a search, but http://69696969 is converted to http://4.39.125.201

also the reason ios firefox works differently is because ios firefox is safari

yeah but it doesn’t match Safari behaviour

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

how do those representations work with certificates, now that you can get them issued for IP addresses such as for DoH?

browsers will normalize to dotted-quad-of-base-ten-integers before checking the certificate names. boring answer, but also the only possible answer with any even remote degree of sanity

ipv6 has to do the same thing - pointing a browser at https://[some-ipv6-address] will convert the ipv6 address to normal form before it checks certnames. there's also some rules about how browsers decide if the port number should be part of the certname which i can't remember with enough certainty to recite but i assume are relatively straightforward and obvious

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sapozhnik posted:

more accuracy is better, right?

x[0] = -6
x[1] = 64

x[n] = 82 − (1824 − 6048/x[n-2]) / x[n-1]

so this sequence converges to 36, under half and single floats

under doubles, it converges to 42, which is the wrong answer

https://etna.math.kent.edu/vol.52.2020/pp358-369.dir/pp358-369.pdf

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ooops, i did my bfloat16 wrong and the paper actually covers it :blush:

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 20, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

brb selling musk whatever ip 🤣 maps to

Internet Janitor posted:

even at their current clip it will take the unicode consortium a while to allocate 4 billion codepoints to idiotic emoji bullshit

What if code points were NFTs.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
cross-posting from the buttcoin thread:

drk posted:

lol, the details on J.Zhong's crimes are right out of a bad sci fi novel

Trevor McAleenan, Special Agent, Internal Revenue Service posted:

By way of example, on or about September 19, 2012, Individual-1, using the Fraud Account associated with username “thetormentor,” deposited 500 Bitcoin into one of that account’s Silk Road Bitcoin addresses. Less than five seconds after making the initial deposit, “thetormentor” executed five withdrawals of 500 Bitcoin in rapid succession—i.e., within the same second—resulting in a net gain of 2,000 Bitcoin. Within the next 24 minutes, “thetormentor” deposited another 500 Bitcoin into the account’s Silk Road Bitcoin address. Within 19 minutes after making that deposit, “thetormentor” again executed three withdrawals of 500 Bitcoin—again, within the same second—which resulted in a net gain of 1,000 Bitcoin. In this manner, “thetormentor” successfully obtained 3,000 Bitcoin in total out of Silk Road on a single day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have been informed by someone with better recollection than mine that Brendan overruled me on simplifying to requiring dotted-quad. so it goes

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
truly his greatest sin of all

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

tef posted:

x[0] = -6
x[1] = 64

x[n] = 82 − (1824 − 6048/x[n-2]) / x[n-1]

so this sequence converges to 36, under half and single floats

under doubles, it converges to 42, which is the wrong answer

https://etna.math.kent.edu/vol.52.2020/pp358-369.dir/pp358-369.pdf

lmao serves you right for doing math with a float

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
floating point is a mistake and anyone who says otherwise is gaslighting you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

good for video games tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
just imagine all the pannenkoek2012 videos we'd have missed out on without floating-point numbers