Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Amphigory posted:

Also, that last person was relying on $3k to not be financially ruined

That makes me sad

He was relying on 3k a year for the rest of his life I think since he said "Some of us have a lifetime of writeoffs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

He was relying on 3k a year for the rest of his life I think since he said "Some of us have a lifetime of writeoffs"

ONE WEIRD TRICK

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

how long until Overbabystockbuybath.gov changes its name back?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

or whatever the gently caress it's called now idk :shrug:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bullish, trust the plan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Has there been any word around these idiots about them buying Tesla stock after it started tanking?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I always love the "Do this thing! Here's my proof that thing is totally the smart thing to do. Disclaimer do not do this thing I am stupid!" Structure of their posts.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

wilderthanmild posted:

I always love the "Do this thing! Here's my proof that thing is totally the smart thing to do. Disclaimer do not do this thing I am stupid!" Structure of their posts.

They specifically do this because they think like sovcitizens, a few magic words will absolve them of penalty or consequences. “It’s not financial advice,” “I’m just a [reddit word], don’t listen to me,” was their cover to say anything but then immediately shirk responsibility when everything falls out from underneath. The louder you are, the more idiots that buy, and the more likely you can cash out or at least that’s what the grifters amongst them were playing it as.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mercury_Storm posted:

thjey will pry those DRSed shares from my cold dead hands

The more shares they delete, the more valuable your shares will become!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I thought "This is not financial advice" was meant as a legal cover, aka people who take the advice and eat poo poo couldn't turn around and sue because "well, that was just like, my opinion, man"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I thought "This is not financial advice" was meant as a legal cover

Pretty sure that's exactly how it's meant.

I'm much less sure that this actually provides legal cover. Not that any of the newly-destitute will be hiring lawyers to go after clearly insane people on YouTube for making idiotic claims that dozens of people repeatedly advised were dumb.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's exactly it. But it's also silly because these muppets are not registered investment advisors so the laws regulating giving financial advice do not apply to them.

You can't sue the drunkard at your local pub for telling you to buy beanie babies just because you were dumb enough to believe him.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

That's exactly it. But it's also silly because these muppets are not registered investment advisors so the laws regulating giving financial advice do not apply to them.

You can't sue the drunkard at your local pub for telling you to buy beanie babies just because you were dumb enough to believe him.

You can sue anybody you like, but the odds that this suit gets thrown out are really high, and the odds that any random lawyer would advise you it'll get thrown out and/or would refuse to take the case are also really high.

The more this thread makes me think this through, the more likely it seems like one of these idiots is going to file suit with no legal representation, throwing more money into the toilet.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

They specifically do this because they think like sovcitizens, a few magic words will absolve them of penalty or consequences. “It’s not financial advice,” “I’m just a [reddit word], don’t listen to me,” was their cover to say anything but then immediately shirk responsibility when everything falls out from underneath. The louder you are, the more idiots that buy, and the more likely you can cash out or at least that’s what the grifters amongst them were playing it as.

Stonk-themed Minecraft server

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The shills that suppressed the Heat Lamp Theory are now coming for the Teddy Butterfly hypothesis. Sad!

We can only imagine the historical moment when a sweaty ape sitting in an empty McDonald's late at night, staring at the burgers under the heat lamp, spontaneously had an Isaac Newton-like "Eureka!" moment. "The burgers under a heat lamp behave exactly like DRS shares! I knew it! The shorts were always wrong!"
(this is what the theory actually is)

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 19, 2023

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I saw, maybe in the other thread, a reddit post where someone quoted a loss of $76K CAD. That's the biggest I've heard so far. Has anyone seen anything that tops that in terms of meme stock investment loss?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

I saw, maybe in the other thread, a reddit post where someone quoted a loss of $76K CAD. That's the biggest I've heard so far. Has anyone seen anything that tops that in terms of meme stock investment loss?

I've definitely seen losses in excess of 100k before. That guy I posted a few days ago that I was pretty sure was trying avoid mentioning BBBY was trying to sue his brokerage over 380k.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Koburn posted:

Brokers are starting to delete BBBYQ shares from accounts. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a silver lining.

That 'worthless' has to hurt

If they can "remove" "worthless" securities they can just as easily "add" "valuable" securities, you jealous dumbass.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ariong posted:

This person was literally under the impression that the government reimburses every American taxpayer for up to $3,000 worth of stock market losses per year.

lmao its so loving insane. The one weird trick the IRS doesn't want you to know!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBBY/comments/17a67r7/new_dockets_filed_today_24722481/
saw this thread the other day where people are talking about being down $120k and $137k

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Two random comments I found right on a recent r/bbby post:

quote:

I’m down $120,000 US on my BBBYQ.

Never sold a share, so it’s all sitting untradeable now.

So I’m likely in the Top 100 of losers in the world.

quote:

You are not alone. I’m down $137K - and I have not said anything to my beautiful wife. I still have faith this will work out for all of us!

While I think a lot of BBBY losses are more like a few thousand to low tens of thousands, I think there are plenty of these people who burned a significant portion of their reasonably decent life savings on BBBY.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ariong posted:

This person was literally under the impression that the government reimburses every American taxpayer for up to $3,000 worth of stock market losses per year.

i was like theres no way this is right but it sort of is? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/capital-gains-and-losses/L7GF1ouP8

im bad at both math and taxes but if im reading this right if you only have losses which lets be real these nerds only have losses then you can report up to 3k of it. t he part i dont get is why is this legal and why does it apparently carry foward.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

snergle posted:

i was like theres no way this is right but it sort of is? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/capital-gains-and-losses/L7GF1ouP8

im bad at both math and taxes but if im reading this right if you only have losses which lets be real these nerds only have losses then you can report up to 3k of it. t he part i dont get is why is this legal and why does it apparently carry foward.

Yeah, but it's a 3k deduction, meaning someone who makes 50k just get taxed like they make 47000 and is a much smaller benefit than the $3k/year tax credit this guy thought he was getting.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Cross-posting from the Bitcoin thread:

Sardonik posted:

Mass removal of cancelled BBBYQ shares today from brokerages, seems like at least a few cultists are starting to wake up:

Huh, that's a new one. Instead of FYGM, it would be, "got mine, shove a watermelon up your rear end!"

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

While I think a lot of BBBY losses are more like a few thousand to low tens of thousands, I think there are plenty of these people who burned a significant portion of their reasonably decent life savings on BBBY.

Webull says the market cap is 55 million.

It has slipped from number five on the popularity to number 14 on popularity over the last few days.

This means a massive of people are still following a stock that just says “delisted.”

I of course am following the stock because it has a feed of people talking about it and if I ever feel down I can always go there and have a good laugh.

Apes are starting to realize that they are being lied to and GameStop has been having a pretty rough week as a result .

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Webull says the market cap is 55 million.

It has slipped from number five on the popularity to number 14 on popularity over the last few days.

This means a massive of people are still following a stock that just says “delisted.”

I of course am following the stock because it has a feed of people talking about it and if I ever feel down I can always go there and have a good laugh.

Apes are starting to realize that they are being lied to and GameStop has been having a pretty rough week as a result .

They've only really been lying to themselves. The actual announcements by the company were all quite clear.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wilderthanmild posted:

I have no idea why anyone would do this if they actually believed their own mythology. The shares become infinitely valuable. So buy maybe 5 shares? Sell one after MOASS for phone numbers and live that rich life, sell another in 10 years for another huge cash infusion, keep the remaining 3.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I think part of it was that their *one weird trick* only works if they all buy a massive number of shares. I'm not 100% on this though.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

yes but if you don't buy more shares then do you really believe in the MOASS?

you believe in the MOASS, don't you?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Their plan was just "buy a bunch of shares in a company we have nostalgia for, wait around, be rich." That's it. Everything else is window dressing, they were wishing that the whole GME thing didn't need all the extra conditions, just the ones they liked.

Hence them wanting to buy shares in, like, toys r us and poo poo. Buy shares, wait, be rich. The conspiracy theories all boil down to "just wait" because it's not like they can actually do anything other than buy shares and wait.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yea, if your shares each are worth a billion dollars, wouldn't you want more of them? What, do you want to be the poorest of the new ape class? Do you want the worst option out of all the apes when you cash in your wife changing money? Even if they reach infinite value, wouldn't you want a little more infinity than the other apes?

I'd not look for logical consistency when examining these people anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yottainflation caused by all the trillion-dollar shares means it costs a few billion to get a coke from the vending machine.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Inflation is a good point here. If these people were suddenly rich the price of the only things they care about (nfts and anime body pillows) would sky rocket.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah but the poors would all work for them for nothing cause they control all the wealth. And they'd buy the NFT and body pillow companies with their infinite dollars and make it cheap anyway.

Inflation would only be for the poors. And also they'd just buy out inflation, cause infinite money.

This is why you're all ape poor duh.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
When MOASS happens and the world economy is in ruins, you'll just need to trade ONE share of BBBQY for all of the chickens and grain seed you'll ever need for your subsistence farm in radiation-scorched Idaho

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Worst Ape Wife Option is a solid username

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Let's do a little roundup of what's going on in the meme stock communities this week.

GameStop apes are all abuzz about two headlines: The SEC implemented a rule change requiring hedge funds to disclose their short positions, and a bunch of news outlets are calling Citadel Connect a dark pool. The former is big news if you believe that hedge funds secretly use short positions to drive companies to bankruptcy and live in constant fear of their nefarious schemes being exposed, but if you are a normal person then it is just a minor change to reporting requirements. The latter... okay so a dark pool is basically a small exchange where the trades are not visible to the public and thus don't immediately effect the share price. Dark pools are a common thing for apes to gesture at as something that seems like it could definitely be probably helping some people commit some crimes, somehow. In this case they are furious because Citadel failed to file some form that you're supposed to file when you operate a dark pool, which is of course a travesty of injustice and definitely not a mostly meaningless act of bureaucratic negligence.

Pictured: Ape uncovers yet more irrefutable evidence of widespread financial malfeasance (number go down).

AMC apes... seem to think the global banking system is about to collapse or something? I'm not quite sure. AMC apes are to GME apes as elephants are to manatees: they have a lot of superficial similarities and they are the closest relatives to one another, but there are a lot of differences. I have trouble following the storylines and shibboleths of the AMC ones.

For the BBBY apes, the new way to keep hope alive appears to be getting in contact with one's broker's help desk and hoping whoever they have answering calls says something bullish. These people have no more insight into the inner workings of the BBBYQ bankruptcy than anyone else and likely have about as much financial expertise as the average level 1 tech support desk jockey has computer expertise. However, sometimes they say you may not have thrown all your money in a fire, which means their word is gospel.

Finally, in the world of Sears... HOLY poo poo, MOASS?????????

My Spirit Otter posted:

i thought sears went out of business like 10 years ago, how is buying sears stock even a conversation??

Hey I saw this post when you posted it but forgot to respond. The answer is: it isn't. Sears stock has been cancelled. The Sears ape community is very small and made up of people who had Sears stock before it was cancelled and hope that it will somehow still make them rich. Possible that there are also people who have been conned into thinking they have somehow bought Sears shares? It's hard to say because people who were tricked into buying fake Sears stock would now have the same number of shares as people who at some point bought actual Sears stock: zero.

None of that applies to Sears Canada. Sears Canada is a separate spinoff company that has somehow managed to trudge along a lot longer than regular Sears. Sears Canada is currently where Bed, Bath, and Beyond was earlier this year: In the process of bankruptcy, stock below $1 and trading on the expert market but not yet cancelled.

snergle posted:

No, you don't get $3,000. You get a reduction in your taxes as if you had made $3,000 less. That's not the same thing as paying $3,000 less in taxes. Here's an example: If you pay 10% of your income in tax and you make $100,000 in a year, you will pay $10,000 in taxes. However if you report a $3,000 stock market loss, you will be taxed as if you made $97,000 and you will pay $9,700 in taxes. Tax savings = (deduction from income * income tax rate)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

No government is ever going to give you more in taxes back than you paid. That would be asinine. Over here the idea of putting things on tax returns is to maximise returns, or offset potential debt. But if you have a balance of, say, $2000 on your return then it doesn't matter if you even legally write several thousand more off, you aren't getting more than what you paid and can be owed. Otherwise you'd have idiots trying to "earn" as little as possible while writing off everything to make "free money".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

I like the "usually I don't believe a word these people say because it goes against my world view but today someone said something that maybe didn't so I think I'll believe them this time." part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

No government is ever going to give you more in taxes back than you paid. That would be asinine. Over here the idea of putting things on tax returns is to maximise returns, or offset potential debt. But if you have a balance of, say, $2000 on your return then it doesn't matter if you even legally write several thousand more off, you aren't getting more than what you paid and can be owed. Otherwise you'd have idiots trying to "earn" as little as possible while writing off everything to make "free money".

The US government will do that for some things.

Various terminology:

Deduction: You lost some money in a way that tax law says reduces your taxable income instead of being like ordinary consumption spending. Your income tax bill is treated as if you had never gotten the income at all. $1 of deduction is not worth $1 of tax saved because your marginal tax rate is less than 100%. Examples: If you got paid some money and spent it paying property tax to your state government, that income doesn't count for income tax. Or money you give to charity. Capital gains losses on stocks are also here.

Nonrefundable Credit: After the amount of tax you owe is calculated, nonrefundable credits are subtracted off the bill at $1:$1, to a minimum of a $0 bill. Examples: Foreign Tax Credit discounts your US tax bill by however much you paid to a foreign government that the US has a tax treaty with. The tax incentive for buying an electric car was also a nonrefundable credit

Refundable Credit: Like a nonrefundable credit, but applied after all of those and can take your total taxes negative to create a bigger refund than the total amount you've paid. They are really backdoor social programs, even more than tax policy normally is. Example: Earned Income Tax Credit is for low income working people with dependent children (or are very poor, <$17k yearly income). The Additional Child Tax Credit (less income restrictions, based on child count) is also refundable