Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

quote:

The Conservative MP Crispin Blunt, the co-director of the International Centre of Justice for Palestinians, said: “This bill, as an example of exceptionalism for the state of Israel, is hard to beat. It also bakes impunity into our wider relationship and is disastrous for British influence and the ability to restrain our allies in the ghastly circumstances around Gaza.” He added: “It is all too obvious. The effect of this bill on community relations will in reality be utterly toxic. It is completely irrational to continue with this bill now.”

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1715075173517320628

All of those copies sold to podcasts for the purposes of owning him.
That's loving incredible. I've sold more than 350 copies of lovely Amazon smut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Great news about these by elections eh lads :)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My main takeaway from reading the results was thinking 'ukip still exist??'

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Just waiting for a Labour MP to finally come out and say "look, we just don't care about muslims, alright!"

monkey’s paw clenches

LAB +5

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Red Oktober posted:

monkey’s paw clenches

LAB +5

Why would that happen when there's already a We Don't Care About Muslims party?

Keith wants to court the gammon vote so he'll announce a We'll Actively Hate Muslims policy

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I've no idea what the turnout is like for other by by-elections, but certainly for Tamworth, Labour barely gained any additional votes. It all seems to be that people just didn't come out to vote at all.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Tsietisin posted:

I've no idea what the turnout is like for other by by-elections, but certainly for Tamworth, Labour barely gained any additional votes. It all seems to be that people just didn't come out to vote at all.

Same with mid beds. I think both Labour and Conservatives combined got less votes than Dorries previously had as a majority?

I know by-elections nearly always have poor turnout, but it really doesn’t feel like there is much enthusiasm for Labour and they are just benefiting from other voters being even less enthused. I suppose that fits Starmer to a tee.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

In terms of votes cast, in Tamworth the Labour vote was only up by 800, the Tory vote down by over 20,000.

In Mid Beds, the Labour vote was actually down by 250, the Tory vote down by 25,000. The Lib Dem vote was up by 1300.

ReformUK obviously played a roll in taking some of the Tory votes in Tamworth, it would be interesting to see if people continued to vote for Reform in a General Election or pivot back to Tories.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bessantj posted:

Just waiting for a Labour MP to finally come out and say "look, we just don't care about muslims, alright!"

"Vote for us anyway and we'll start caring. Honest."

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
"Let me be very clear on this- because my dad was a toolmaker- the by-election results show the british public strongly supports our lickspittle collaboration with the tories, and more intense suffering for the kids, not just in this country, but worldwide"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"Starmer said the result showed voters “are crying out for positive change”."

loving Nora I hate that man

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

forkboy84 posted:

"Starmer said the result showed voters “are crying out for positive change”."

loving Nora I hate that man

Low turnout suggests he's right. Voters want positive change, but nobody's offering it so they all stay at home

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1715075173517320628

All of those copies sold to podcasts for the purposes of owning him.
Spent all his time attempting to sex harass women on Twitter instead of promoting his book.

Glincel, curled up on the floor and surrounded by cheap amazon studio lights, texting the only editor who would work with him:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ed: failed in quest for a mint nutlet picture.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Even with the low turnout, overturning two ~20k majorities in a night is pretty impressive.

Apparently similar byelection results, with the same low turnouts, heralded the labour 97 landslide.

It also means that gently caress off flip chart man has to, infact, gently caress off

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

DreddyMatt posted:

Low turnout suggests he's right. Voters want positive change, but nobody's offering it so they all stay at home

By elections usually get low turnout though don't they? Would be interesting if someone could go all Stats Nerd and figure out if this was low turnout even for a by election

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

By elections usually get low turnout though don't they? Would be interesting if someone could go all Stats Nerd and figure out if this was low turnout even for a by election

44% in Mid Beds is reasonable, 35.9% in Tamworth is quite low but not historically so.

There have only been 17 by-elections since 1945 with a turnout of less than 30%

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Less tory cunts in parliament is better, still loving frustrating that it's loss of tory support and not a surge in Labour support that's driving it and Keith stands there smugly telling us it's the power of his leadership. loving no it isn't.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Even with the low turnout, overturning two ~20k majorities in a night is pretty impressive.

Apparently similar byelection results, with the same low turnouts, heralded the labour 97 landslide.

It also means that gently caress off flip chart man has to, infact, gently caress off

At the end of the day though it's conservatives being replaced by conservatives. Nothing will meaningfully change if we're just slapping red paint on the same rotten foundation.

Labour will get a huge majority, continue things as they always have been under the Tory party and then slowly lose their majority until we're back under a conservative party that will continue again. This won't even be like under Blair when the worst excesses of Neoliberalism were mitigated by means tested bullshit and government spending. They're fully wedded to austerity after a decade and a half of austerity not fixing anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But he said he was going to grow the economy! Why look at how the economy zoomed into production* when austerity kicked in after Brown's stubborn insistence on raising GDP.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Atleast we get to watch the Tories infighting over it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, there's zero enthusiasm for Labour among the electorate: in the recent by-elections, we've seen the Labour vote either remain much the same as before, or actually drop. They're only winning because Tory voters are staying home and not bothering. Is this enough to swing it in a general election? Yeah, probably. A Tory leader prepared to actually stand up and fight and play dirty and throw grossly irresponsible gifts to their voting base could very plausibly push things the other way but it's clear enough by now that Sunak isn't that leader.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pistol_Pete posted:

A Tory leader prepared to actually stand up and fight and play dirty and throw grossly irresponsible gifts to their voting base could very plausibly push things the other way but it's clear enough by now that Sunak isn't that leader.

Does anyone think we will be going into the next election with Sunak as PM? I fully expect a leadership challenge from Braverman before spring.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can see it but I can't see the party accepting it. For one thing there's been a depressing drop off in party support coinciding with Sunak taking over from Liz Truss, depressing because his skin colour was a cited factor by tories on twitter. Braverman being a nazi isn't going to change that, and she has even less charisma than Sunak.

After they lose is when I expect the clown car to turn out to be a Tesla and burst into flames.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

loving hell nothing will cheer you lot up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gasmask posted:

Good news cheers me up, there's just not very much of it around these days so I stick to watching the noble art of professional wrestling

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
why would some briefcase oval office getting elected cheer anyone up?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Alan G posted:

why would some briefcase oval office getting elected cheer anyone up?

You can’t take even the slightest joy in watching tories lose massively safe seats? You’re letting perfect be the enemy of good.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Liz Truss would have won.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I already said it's good to have less tories

the quality of the candidate still matters because shouting "go team red" against "team blue" is dog tier political analysis

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone think we will be going into the next election with Sunak as PM? I fully expect a leadership challenge from Braverman before spring.

Doesn't matter, she'd be even shitter somehow.

The more I look at it the more I think their only hope of clinging on to, if not a majority then at least being largest party, would be to go full white boomer fash and parachute Big Nige into a safe seat (if they can find one)

But they won't do that, so Labour will successfully ride the tide of ambivalence to a stunning victory on 55% turnout.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
In Ireland, we have a party called Fianna Fail and there is another party called Fine Gael. Good luck telling them apart as they are the same party. In Britain you have a party called Labour and a party called the Conservatives....

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, there's zero enthusiasm for Labour among the electorate: in the recent by-elections, we've seen the Labour vote either remain much the same as before, or actually drop. They're only winning because Tory voters are staying home and not bothering. Is this enough to swing it in a general election? Yeah, probably. A Tory leader prepared to actually stand up and fight and play dirty and throw grossly irresponsible gifts to their voting base could very plausibly push things the other way but it's clear enough by now that Sunak isn't that leader.

Same happened in Rutherglen, SNP core vote just didn't bother showing up and Labour walked it without actually making any progress.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gasmask posted:

You’re letting perfect be the enemy of good.

True, but slightly less dogshit on my shoe isn't a reason to do a tapdance

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Miftan posted:

Look I've said this a million times, artificial fruit flavouring and chocolate don't go together. Sorry. Chocolate dipped strawberries? Excellent, scrumptious, no notes. Strawberry flavoured chocolate, or worse, those strawberry cream things? Terrible, wouldn't feed it a terf, please stop making them.

This is true of every fruit flavoured chocolate (yes, even that one that you're thinking of. Especially if it's mint!)

Also a hot dog is a sandwich and the best way to eat a pizza is to calzone it.

Mint isn't a fruit.

Sandwiches have to be between sliced bread so a hot dog is a roll.

Calzone is a gimmick and means the 'toppings' don't crisp at all inside.

But stay safe and bring us more food thought crimes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fianna is fail but that's a fine Gail. That's how I nmemonic the two parties. At least your president fuckin' rules.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gasmask posted:

You can’t take even the slightest joy in watching tories lose massively safe seats? You’re letting perfect be the enemy of good.

Tories lose hooray, Labour win yeuch. My feelings are complex.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gasmask posted:

No, I merely reject the notion that Kieth's Labour is good in any way, shape or form.

Anyway, a hot new contender in the competition for the most insufferable podcast has appeared

https://x.com/TimesRadio/status/1715291815492903010?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Doesn't matter, she'd be even shitter somehow.

The more I look at it the more I think their only hope of clinging on to, if not a majority then at least being largest party, would be to go full white boomer fash and parachute Big Nige into a safe seat (if they can find one)

But they won't do that, so Labour will successfully ride the tide of ambivalence to a stunning victory on 55% turnout.

Funny you mentioned dick dastardly as he says he plans to be tory leader by 2026 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-join-tories-rishi-sunak-b2432405.html

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Gasmask posted:

Please explain the difference between:
Tories: we have been loving you over for 13 years, hundreds of thousands excess deaths due to us plundering the coffers for our pals
Labour: we are terrified of having the Daily Mail be upset at us so will continue the Tory plan for economic and social policies

Sorry I don't see "good" in the arseholes cheering on war crimes earlier in the week. My memory of the world extends past seeing some boy in a red rosette doing a thumbs up in the middle of the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gasmask posted:

Funny that.