Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

is it fine to charge my steam deck with a phone charger or should i only use the one it came with

also how bad will it gently caress the battery if i use it while it's charging because some games drain it in like an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm not really a graphics guy, I'll play anything that's fun (except MOBAs, gently caress those), but I am very VERY jealous of how my wife gets 60fps in Baldur's Gate 3 on her laptop, whereas I'm down to 30-ish (some stuttering).

Is there a recommended way to push it further? I have Cryoutilities installed and setup, if that helps to know.

I love the game, and overall, I am fine with what I've got, but goddamn does it look so much better at 60fps.

I take solace in the fact that I will be playing BG3 likely for years and years, so eventually, it'll run at 60fps no matter what system I play it on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hbag posted:

is it fine to charge my steam deck with a phone charger or should i only use the one it came with

also how bad will it gently caress the battery if i use it while it's charging because some games drain it in like an hour

you can charge it however you want, it'll just be slower

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hbag posted:

If your phone has USB-PD (which most decent ones from the last few years will) it'll be fine but slow. Also you're not going to gently caress the battery playing while charging.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Don’t listen to this poster you can gently caress the battery whenever you want, it’s your battery.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buddy they wont even let me gently caress the battery

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not really a graphics guy, I'll play anything that's fun (except MOBAs, gently caress those), but I am very VERY jealous of how my wife gets 60fps in Baldur's Gate 3 on her laptop, whereas I'm down to 30-ish (some stuttering).

Is there a recommended way to push it further? I have Cryoutilities installed and setup, if that helps to know.

I love the game, and overall, I am fine with what I've got, but goddamn does it look so much better at 60fps.

I take solace in the fact that I will be playing BG3 likely for years and years, so eventually, it'll run at 60fps no matter what system I play it on.

If you have a gaming PC, use moonlight to stream the game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

hbag posted:

Yep both are fine in my experience, and I more often than not play plugged in anyway and my battery health is still tops

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PowerBeard posted:

Had this issue before with how games detect gamepads on Steam Deck. I ended up switching over to Experimental to get it to work.

I guess I kind of have it working now but there's two mouse cursors, and the way the game seems to handle controllers at all is that pressing a face button moves the cursor to an option while the cursor continues to slide around, and then you press O (all of the button prompts are PlayStation for some reason) to click

I'd be pissed if this is how it worked on the console release

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

njsykora posted:

Also you're not going to gently caress the battery playing while charging.

i thought i heard others in this thread saying it'll degrade the battery but i just looked it up and apparently it's fine so whatever

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

hbag posted:

i thought i heard others in this thread saying it'll degrade the battery but i just looked it up and apparently it's fine so whatever

From whatever rumors and conversation stuck in my brain, I believe the battery's max set point is like 90% of its actual capacity, so it shouldn't hurt as much to "fully charge" it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not talking about fully charging it, im talking about playing games while it's plugged in

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hbag posted:

im not talking about fully charging it, im talking about playing games while it's plugged in

This is just what docked play is.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

true

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

hbag posted:

I played it safe and bought an Anker 65 watt charger. IIRC you are in the UK right? So it's probably 30 quid for a decent charger. I'm not sure if a USB C cable is included with it though so that might be extra.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Suburban Dad posted:

Sorry to interrupt you guys taking about linuses (what Buster calls dicks in Arrested Development lol) but has anybody had issues with Diablo 4 on deck this season? I play it a tiny bit on deck and there are times when opening my inventory creates a 5 second freeze. Other random things seem to trigger it also. But then it'll be completely smooth.

What protonGE are you using? They tend to put out new ones regularly, and even if their patchnotes don't specific mention a game, it tends to help to keep it updated on newer games.

Looks like last protonGE was 4 days ago.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks like it was a pretty old version, 7-36. I'll try with a newer one and also install the dumb hi res assets even though they're wasted on deck. I googled and saw that that helps some with freezing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 20, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

I mean it depends on the voltage and amperage of the charger, and that of the steam deck

USB-C can negotiate different voltages if it's not a Chinese offbrand charger so it's unlikely you can actually damage it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want a button combo I can hold that will mute the Deck as it comes out of sleep or boots, so that I can stay in bed right now and play Halls of Torment without waking my wife, instead of having to get up and carry the Deck into the bathroom to turn it on. my toes will get cold!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gophermaster posted:

That were specifically addressed by the new CEO and immediately made changes to the shooting schedule to address the underlying pressure and hired an outside firm to resolve the harrassment claims. Obviously it remains to be seen if they fix everything, but they are working on it.

That video was canned corporate horseshit and it was sad watching them read the lines that someone else typed up for them.

But, I personally can't wait to see the next video of Linus doing some dumb experiment showing off how rich he is in his mansion.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

sigher posted:

That video was canned corporate horseshit and it was sad watching them read the lines that someone else typed up for them.

I only saw this whole mess and the GN video a couple weeks ago, but that LMG video was the most cringe whitewash with awful attempts at humor and, most importantly, no recognition of the identified problems - just "we'll be better" without saying how they hosed up to begin with. Some of the people reading from the prompter were wonderfully indignant rather than contrite, like the labs head from whose dept the whole thing started.

They really hosed over that startup, even just by hanging onto the single sample for months with no thought for the company, and that no one on their team has recognized this even now shows how bad the culture is.

Reflection and recognition of mistakes are the first steps to redemption. They seem to have chosen rejection instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Let’s stop talking about that dumb dweeb and his team of moron nerds and let’s talk about the steam dreck instead

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I still have no idea who any of those freaks are talking about.

I was playing docked with a series x controller the other day and I instinctively tried to fine-tune my aiming with motion controls and, drat it, now I got a new controller with gyro

Nefarious 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 21, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, folks, go here to yell about Linus https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Subjunctive posted:

I want a button combo I can hold that will mute the Deck as it comes out of sleep or boots, so that I can stay in bed right now and play Halls of Torment without waking my wife, instead of having to get up and carry the Deck into the bathroom to turn it on. my toes will get cold!

The buttons and sticks are so clacky that if you were playing anything else you'd be getting annoyed sighs until you turned it off anyway lol

Also I updated proton and did hi res textures for Diablo 4 and that seemed to improve performance decently.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 21, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any vids of Gabe opening the deck using only his wall of knifes?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Factorio with a couple of QoL mods and the right community config winds up working surprisingly well (I like it more than the built in controller config that they implemented for Switch and ported back to PC). Took me a bit of getting used to and definitely still not as fast as M+KB but it is very playable.

Some of the mods are definitely cheaty like Far Reach and Even Distribution but that makes up for some of the clumsiness compared to M+KB.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Have you considered streaming it from your PC? Steam Remote Play is mostly decent (just buggy), but the quality of Sunshine+Moonlight astonished me. I was actually okay with the lo-fi aesthetic of playing Starfield locally on the Deck, but streaming is so much nicer.

Subjunctive suggested this to me earlier, and it made the whole setup even more seamless:

Subjunctive posted:

If you use the Decky plugin MoonDeck and the supporting MoonDeckBuddy program, it creates a new non-Steam game entry for each distinct title you stream via Sunshine, so you can give them different controller configs.

Obviously none of this is a one-click install sort of deal, but if you regularly touch computers it's fine

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 21, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goddamn it I’m travelling and my desktop WOL isn’t working again. I wish I knew what state it was in when WOL doesn’t work so I could just disable that state or something. I’m going to have to debug Windows powershit again…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Debugging disabled WOL is the absolute worst. You have Microsoft and the board vendor conspiring to put in as many settings as possible that make WOL unreliable.

With some of the Dell Optiplexes at work the only way I've managed to get WOL to work is by booting Linux and letting it set the magic packet bit on the card. If the system boots Windows or loses power, the WOL will be disabled again. And yes, I went into the Windows 7 style UI for network adapters to tick the magic packet tickbox…

It's an insane quixotic fight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Have you considered streaming it from your PC? Steam Remote Play is mostly decent (just buggy), but the quality of Sunshine+Moonlight astonished me. I was actually okay with the lo-fi aesthetic of playing Starfield locally on the Deck, but streaming is so much nicer.

No, our gaming pc is what my wife's using, and we're playing BG3 together. I'm specifically looking for things I can do with the deck itself to maybe get a slightly better frame rate, if 60fps is off the table.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BG3 is the first game I just find totally unacceptable on deck no matter which settings I use. I just deleted it and play it on PC cause it looks and plays 10 times better. Imo ask your wife if you can play it on her laptop

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Endless Dungeon works really well out of the box! Bit of a hassle to get cloud saves going, you have to enable it on your pc and deck in the game settings under network. I then also had to verify the game files on my pc and then it picked up the save from the deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is the game though? I’m not really sure about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

No, our gaming pc is what my wife's using, and we're playing BG3 together. I'm specifically looking for things I can do with the deck itself to maybe get a slightly better frame rate, if 60fps is off the table.

Compromise may be to use 40fps for stable frame rates.

Just checking, but you do have the TDP maxed for BG3, right?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

MarcusSA posted:

How is the game though? I’m not really sure about it.

I’m still pretty early, fun with buddies so far but I’ve read that the end game is really lacking.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

You could try these settings, but there's not really much you can do. By act 3 drops below 20 are common, and the controller interface - at least in my opinion - becomes a struggle due to the amount of skills you have available and need to set up radial menus for.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

You could try these settings, but there's not really much you can do. By act 3 drops below 20 are common, and the controller interface - at least in my opinion - becomes a struggle due to the amount of skills you have available and need to set up radial menus for.

I have no issue with the controls whatsoever, other than wishing I could ping stuff slightly easier.

And for that other goon, my tdp limit isn't enabled.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
E: lmao I posted in the wrong thread. What I get for having 2 reply windows open.

Annath fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the emulator you’re using supports it convert them to .chd instead

https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman