Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And if I were him, two lesser pieces for one superior isn't a good trade.

I'm holding on to JJ but if I were trading him I'd be looking for Austin Ekeler and I say that as someone who has Mostert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

JJ was a guaranteed 22pts on average, which is really hard to replace

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Yeah… it’s almost time.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I have Jefferson in dynasty and I'm toying with the idea of trading him because I'm all in on this year and want to stay competitive. But even then, the return I'd want would be a top 10 RB and two startable WRs, one of which being a top 20 receiver. I think I can still make the playoffs without JJ, so most likely I'll just hold on to him and hope they don't keep him out, but I am willing to consider offers for him.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah I’m holding him. The schedule for when he would be eligible to come back is really soft and as long as they don’t trip on their own feet* after this Niners game they’ll have a decent shot at a run for a wildcard spot. I think the fears of him being shutdown are overblown.

*it’s the Vikings so no guarantees

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Are dynasty leagues so common now that “redraft league” has become the norm to say? Before when I saw it in this thread I thought it was some form of doing a draft week 4 when we know who is garbage.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Tucker posted:

Are dynasty leagues so common now that “redraft league” has become the norm to say? Before when I saw it in this thread I thought it was some form of doing a draft week 4 when we know who is garbage.

that and keeper leagues, yes.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm at the point where I think of dynasty first whenever anyone is talking about fantasy. I'm usually thinking about superflex 12-team dynasty as a default -- if I get no further information from the person seeking advice.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tom Tucker posted:

I’m a relative fantasy noob - only been playing for 5 years and we use the NFL Fantasy.

It’s been a real lurking curve hovering around threads like this and other fantasy communities understanding all the different ways to play and terminology. I’m not even sure if the official NFL game/app offers dynasty?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Bumhead posted:

I’m a relative fantasy noob - only been playing for 5 years and we use the NFL Fantasy.

It’s been a real lurking curve hovering around threads like this and other fantasy communities understanding all the different ways to play and terminology. I’m not even sure if the official NFL game/app offers dynasty?

This one year, a player who was going around the 3rd-4th round was surprisingly cut by his team. This was in late August. NFL.com removed him from their platform but forgot to remove him from their rankings.

As a result, any time that player was drafted it crashed the draft and could not be resumed. Since he was ranked relatively high, all NFL.com drafts with at least one autodrafter inevitably crashed, ruining the draft.

Happened for an entire weekend in late August before it was fixed.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Drunk Nerds posted:

This one year, a player who was going around the 3rd-4th round was surprisingly cut by his team. This was in late August. NFL.com removed him from their platform but forgot to remove him from their rankings.

As a result, any time that player was drafted it crashed the draft and could not be resumed. Since he was ranked relatively high, all NFL.com drafts with at least one autodrafter inevitably crashed, ruining the draft.

Happened for an entire weekend in late August before it was fixed.

Andrew Luck?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
No it was some starting RB on like the Seahawks or Ravens or somewhere.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

They’re common enough in the fantasy industry and the degens that read their articles and listen to their podcasts that it’s helpful to clarify. They’re not common among the general fantasy userbase though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Love those FAAB waivers that win by exactly one dollar. Feel like I’m on the Price is Right.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Drunk Nerds posted:

It was Justin Forsett on the Ravens

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Welp, Kyren Williams just hit the IR so I guess if Zach Evans is somehow still available he's probably worth picking up.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Hendo just got sign off the practice squad too.

It's a whole mess, Freeman and Gaskin are also in the mix.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Looking at the waiver wire and thinking about Latavius Murray and Zeke Elliot

2018 me would be looking at 2023 me like I had three heads

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

axelord posted:

Hendo just got sign off the practice squad too.

It's a whole mess, Freeman and Gaskin are also in the mix.

Yeah, I'm basically hoping that Evans will have first crack because he's new and also I think he was the only one who was actually on the active roster before four days ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jeff Wilson Jr SZN

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

ElectricRelaxation posted:

Yeah, I'm basically hoping that Evans will have first crack because he's new and also I think he was the only one who was actually on the active roster before four days ago.

There's kinda of a narrative for all of them.

Evans is the exciting rookie

Freeman is the vet that's been on the team. Could he have the trust of the coaches Evans lacks? Think he's more of a special teamer.

Hendo had success with the team before and knows the offense. But is he in football shape?

Gaskin is the most like Williams.

It's looking like Hendo, Evans and Freeman will be active right now, but who knows.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The boring truth is none of them will be fantasy relevant

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
God damnit, I’m cursed. Had Chubb and Dobbins to start the year, picked up Kyren to buoy my team, now I’m staring at this. I’m 3-3 and just need to get to 8 wins somehow :gonk:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
The overly broad term "league winner" gets thrown around a lot so i thought of a way to quantify and settled on comparing average fantasy points per game vs. their draft peers (+3/-3 at the same position). I split into separate RB vs WR graphs since one chart was too noisy.

The interpretation is that ETN gives you a 7.5 PPG advantage over the RBs drafted around him. I set the league winners line at a 6 point draft advantage since Brian Robinson being called a league winner doesnt feel right, and also bc I love Monty.

Fewer WR league winners reinforces that it's harder to find a positional advantage at WR since there's so much production there and also suggests WR ADP is ~accurateish relative to RB. I couldnt think of an objective way to adjust for DJM's 45 point game so it's just skewing his position here. Still, the other guys make sense, I knew Keenan was doing great but underestimated how late he was going in drafts (ridley/deebo tier).

Some potential improvements:
  • A dynamic definition for peers: for example, widening the peer groups after RB10, RB20 etc since the expected production for RB1 vs. RB10 is much greater than for RB30 vs. RB40.
  • Fantasy PPG doesnt account for games missed - Aaron Jones is showing favorably here but managers are frustrated with his permanent questionable tag.
  • Maybe different definitions for "league winner" - these guys are heavily discounted tickets to the playoffs but winning a championship means winning in weeks 14-17 which is a completely different analysis
  • Still i think the charts ~feel right to me so not keen on spending a lot of time refining

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I think there's a bias in both those graphs away from early draft picks. Tyreek Hill, for example, has contributed significantly more than Keenen Allen has, but because Tyreek's ADP was so high, there's no room to boost him. Same thing with CMC (and ETN) and Achane/Zack Moss.

It's almost like that graph needs to be a cone and not a square.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

I love these so much. Keep doing them!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

illcendiary posted:

God damnit, I’m cursed. Had Chubb and Dobbins to start the year, picked up Kyren to buoy my team, now I’m staring at this. I’m 3-3 and just need to get to 8 wins somehow :gonk:

You are exactly me. Good luck friend, I'm praying for Najee to finally show up

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

saintonan posted:

I think there's a bias in both those graphs away from early draft picks. Tyreek Hill, for example, has contributed significantly more than Keenen Allen has, but because Tyreek's ADP was so high, there's no room to boost him. Same thing with CMC (and ETN) and Achane/Zack Moss.

It's almost like that graph needs to be a cone and not a square.

That's the point though. He's trying to address the phenomenon of a FA pickup or trade target being labeled as a "league winner". Someone that can put your team over the top. You obviously likely need to hit on your first couple picks. Nobody is calling Tyreek a league winner in that sense because he was a consensus first rounder and the kind of foundation you need on a team for your mid-season pickups to matter.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Gobias Ind. posted:

That's the point though. He's trying to address the phenomenon of a FA pickup or trade target being labeled as a "league winner". Someone that can put your team over the top. You obviously likely need to hit on your first couple picks. Nobody is calling Tyreek a league winner in that sense because he was a consensus first rounder and the kind of foundation you need on a team for your mid-season pickups to matter.

I think it's a valuable chart to see who the late bloomers are this season (to be super clear, I really like the chart), but maybe "league winner" isn't the right term then. More people are going to win leagues because they drafted Reek and Diggs instead of JJ and Chubb than because they drafted Allen or Achane later.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Gobias Ind. posted:

Exactly this! Said another way: picking Tyreek over his draft peers (Diggs/AJB) is only a 4.5 PPG advantage which is nice but not league winning, whereas grabbing Keenan Allen over his peers (DK Metcalf tier, 11 PPG advantage) absolutely is. Also nicely illustrates how unlucky CeeDee Lamb drafters are even though his PPG doesnt look that bad.

Also re: CMC, the chart shows that even at his very high draft premium, McCaffrey is still conferring an 8 point advantage over even the other elite drafted RBs, def counts as league winning imo.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I love these so much. Keep doing them!

Thanks! I'm in the "just tinkering with different ways to visualize data" phase so LMK if there's any datasets you'd be interested in seeing visualized

e:

saintonan posted:

I think it's a valuable chart to see who the late bloomers are this season (to be super clear, I really like the chart), but maybe "league winner" isn't the right term then. More people are going to win leagues because they drafted Reek and Diggs instead of JJ and Chubb than because they drafted Allen or Achane later.

Using total fantasy points instead of PPG as the base for value would better reflect season injuries but would also overstate the impact of BYEs and 1-2 wk minor injuries. Still, total ~might be a better way to think about this, thanks for the feedback !

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 22, 2023

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Who's a better hold?
Mitchell or Henderson?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Who's a better hold?
Mitchell or Henderson?

Mitchell. Shanahan likes him and if CMC is out Mitchell is the lead. He’ll also get hurt but he has produced in the past. Henderson is off the street, no training camp, hasn’t been practicing, etc.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Love those graphs!

Looks at RBs on team, has Achane, Mostert, Walker, Kamara.

“Buncha league winners over here, team is rolling!”

Looks at WR, has JJ, Higgins, Waddle, completely cancelling out my RB hits.

Excellent, 3-3, perfectly balanced as all things should be.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Drunk Nerds posted:

please say it was Forsett.

Edit: just saw a post after this. Felt like Forsett from ... 2015?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

EconDad posted:

please say it was Forsett.

Gobias Ind. posted:

It was Justin Forsett

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

He don't make the law, he Justin Forsett

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

rotowire on Zach Evans posted:

Looks set to remain backup Week 7
Evans is expected to serve as a backup option behind Royce Freeman and Darrell Henderson in Sunday's game against the Steelers, sources tell Adam Schefter of ESPN.
Advice: While he was active for just the second time all season in last week's win over the Cardinals, Evans picked up his first NFL carries late in the contest once Kyren Williams (ankle) and Ronnie Rivers (knee) went down with injuries. Even though Williams and Rivers have since been moved to injured reserve and are set to miss at least the Rams' next four games, Evans doesn't look like he'll be in line to climb to the top of the depth chart, as the Rams reportedly believe the rookie sixth-round pick out of Ole Miss needs more time to learn the offense and acclimate to the NFL. Though he's still expected to be active over the recently signed Myles Gaskin on Sunday, Evans looks like he'll be ticketed for the No. 3 role while practice-squad imports Freeman and Henderson are first in line for work. Schefter relays that Freeman is likely to start, but how the Steelers defense lines up as well as how Freeman and Henderson fare will dictate which of the two leads the backfield in the weeks to come while Williams and Rivers are on the mend. Evans is expected to be "sprinkled in" to the backfield rotation Sunday, per Schefter, but the 22-year-old appears unlikely to get more than a handful of touches.

Don't know how much of this is coach speak, but definitely sound like a situation to avoid.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

dxt posted:

Don't know how much of this is coach speak, but definitely sound like a situation to avoid.

But what of the “Gask of Amontillado”, Myles Gaskin?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As someone with Kyren I’m not touching that backfield until he’s back. It just looks like a total mess and I can’t imagine Kyren not being The Guy once he’s back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone with Kyren I’m not touching that backfield until he’s back. It just looks like a total mess and I can’t imagine Kyren not being The Guy once he’s back.

the Rams and Cardinals RB situations got so terrible so fast, it's truly astonishing.

Sometimes I feel like the days of just "plugging in Thomas Rawls" and getting lots of points or "plugging in Robert Kelley", and doing the same... is not coming back. Instead, we get the current Rams/Cardinals messes or something like the Hilliard/Foreman situation in Tennessee a couple years ago.