Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Cecilia got the idea for her get rich scheme and hiring cheap foreign labour from Tim Ferris's Four Hour Work Week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. I think all that stuff is there for the audience to read, but some stuff like the hero shot rebirth of Jigsaw, the child and Amanda bathed in light seems to stretch a bit too far into making the audience 'side' with him

I think you're right, this one clearly had a personal angle for John and he's self righteous trying to pull his own 'con' and just as fallible as the people he's criticizing

I was listening to an interview with Kevin Greutert on the Saw X episode of the "Seeing Saw" podcast and apparently they shot a line where Jigsaw tells "a character" almost certainly Cecilia he's "a not a killer, just a healer" and they say back "riiiight, like how john Wayne gacy was just a clown?" And I totally think that line should have been in the movie. They said it was cut 'for pacing' but I think it's more that they wanted to go for a weirdly 'feel good' ending with Jig and Amanda leaving with an innocent child, and the villainous Cecilia having had her comeuppance, and those elements I would have liked i.e. Jig being prodded a bit more would take away from that

E: the other thing I've heard said about this is that it all being kind of bullshit is part of what pushes Amanda and better sets up where her arc goes in Saw 3. Which is true and is threaded throughout the conversations in this movie, but I think I still would have liked the bullshit called out a bit more

Yeah its still a very confused movie. That is part of what I like about it but I agree that that line probably would have helped.
e: i liked cecilia so giving her more lines like that would have been neat lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 21, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I love Italian Horror naming

quote:

House II: The Second Story was released in Italy as La casa di Helen, though it's sometimes referred to as "La Casa 6", a movie that technically doesn't exist. Despite this, The Horror Show was released as La Casa 7. To add further confusion to the matter, The Horror Show was marketed as a sequel to House II in other non-US markets, using the title House III: The Horror Show

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah its still a very confused movie. That is part of what I like about it but I agree that that line probably would have helped.
e: i liked cecilia so giving her more lines like that would have been neat lol.

I liked that character too and am kind of glad they (ambiguously) survived. When they went full tilt with her villainy though part of me eye-rolled as it being the classic thing where a character is more of a dick so you cheer for their death more, so I was surprised she made it out alive. I think they kept her alive for a couple reasons (1) potential to use her in a sequel (2) as despicable as she is, I think a lot of general audiences and critics would find the final note of the movie being a gory death off-putting and tacky. They were definitely going for more of a crowd pleaser with this one and showed more restraint (3) I think jigsaw's ego was more about showing her up than needing to brutally kill her and it hearkens back to the first film's Game Over kind of vibe locking Adam in the room (even though I reckon Cecilia will be found)

Also I think the producers probably quite intentionally ride an ambiguous line conversations like this and talk about it after the movie is great for their marketing...

e: also my headcanon is that the eye trap was inspired by the cartoony co-op video game it takes two https://youtu.be/wT9dB2FFnEU?si=_OXQLHTV6CVRgSQx

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 21, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I liked that character too and am kind of glad they (ambiguously) survived. When they went full tilt with her villainy though part of me eye-rolled as it being the classic thing where a character is more of a dick so you cheer for their death more, so I was surprised she made it out alive. I think they kept her alive for a couple reasons (1) potential to use her in a sequel (2) as despicable as she is, I think a lot of general audiences and critics would find the final note of the movie being a gory death off-putting and tacky. They were definitely going for more of a crowd pleaser with this one and showed more restraint (3) I think jigsaw's ego was more about showing her up than needing to brutally kill her and it hearkens back to the first film's Game Over kind of vibe locking Adam in the room (even though I reckon Cecilia will be found)

Also I think the producers probably quite intentionally ride an ambiguous line conversations like this and talk about it after the movie is great for their marketing...

I was disappointed at first when she went full on evil yeah. But the actress still manage to make those parts work. And ended up getting interesting since she actually sort of evolves into a proper foil to John in some ways, which is something the series never had. I like that the movie never felt the need to say why John especially would fall for this scam, having a history with blonde (seemingly, in this case) altruistic doctors. And that gives you the interesting thing of like, despite how much I dislike backstory they gave John in previous movies, of becoming Jigsaw being in part a reaction to his ex-wife's philosophy, and then his decisions being reconfirmed by like, an evil version of her lol.

I do hope they bring them back.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We did horror movie trivia tonight and came in second (by one point). I failed you, thread

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I’m currently (finally) watching Hell House LLC for the first time. I’m like 50 minutes in. This movie rocks! One of the better found footage flicks I can remember.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Professor Funk posted:

I’m currently (finally) watching Hell House LLC for the first time. I’m like 50 minutes in. This movie rocks! One of the better found footage flicks I can remember.

It's awesome and the other two aren't shabby either. I just got done rewatching the third one and it's funny that everyone keeps going to the house that kills everyone

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

To whoever was wondering when the quad-shotgun came into the Phantasm series, I can confirm it’s near the beginning of 2. About 16 minutes in to be precise.

Also lol lmao loving Phantasm yo. I think doing the Friday the 13th thing did something to my preferences, it’s like my tastes are punch drunk. Because I am vibing with Phantasm in ways I never have before. Just bouncing along from ridiculous set pieces and arcane plot contrivances (because they need a reason to blow up the house), just completely worry free. Things don’t need to make sense cause I’m chilling in the hemicuda with my boys.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

It's awesome and the other two aren't shabby either. I just got done rewatching the third one and it's funny that everyone keeps going to the house that kills everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Things don’t need to make sense cause I’m chilling in the hemicuda with my boys.

The right attitude for Phantasm

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

To whoever was wondering when the quad-shotgun came into the Phantasm series, I can confirm it’s near the beginning of 2. About 16 minutes in to be precise.

Also lol lmao loving Phantasm yo. I think doing the Friday the 13th thing did something to my preferences, it’s like my tastes are punch drunk. Because I am vibing with Phantasm in ways I never have before. Just bouncing along from ridiculous set pieces and arcane plot contrivances (because they need a reason to blow up the house), just completely worry free. Things don’t need to make sense cause I’m chilling in the hemicuda with my boys.

seriously Phantasm I and II both rocked my world, can't believe it took me so long to see them

Phantasm II they blow up multiple houses and cars, has a quad shotgun, a chainsaw duel and a body melt. it has it all!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think 13 year old me, i.e. last time I watched them, was trying to be more serious and adult.

I was a loving nerd. Phantasm rips.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Love that Jaganrei has a ghost cam, something every good haunted found footage should have :laugh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally watched New Nightmare too. What a great meta punctuation to the series, though if we're being real I would have loved a couple more Freddy's Dead type sequels in between. Just cheesy stupid creative very of their time.
Time for a screenlife sequel to New Nightmare (New New Nightmare) where a bunch of zoomers livestream New Nightmare and fall asleep sometimes cuz they're not really into it and oh no Freddy's Back!!! and this time he's trying to get into the REAL real world!

The only one I haven't seen is 2. I forget if that's got enough people saying it's actually decent or secretly good. I don't think so? Maybe?
It's a really loving solid series anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2 is kind of generic but its not bad. Its weird because Freddy isn't Freddy. Like he's not the quippy later guy but he's also not the original Craven guy either. Its an entirely different idea they went with. And its interesting if you know the background and details and stuff. Worth watching the Scream Queen doc as a companion piece before or after.

OG - Dream Warriors - New Nightmare... or the Nancy/Heather trilogy... is really the cream of the crop. Just Freddy at his best with his OG protagonist.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I appreciate New Nightmare having the most ride or die babysitter in cinematic history. Lady deserved a raise.
I kinda wish Wes had the budget to give us a glimpse of Dream Rex tho. I was hoping against hope to see Freddy fight a dinosaur. You can't blame me.

Really I love the entire series so far (not counting the dour lovely remake, actually the first one I ever saw). The first is all time, 3 is fantastic, and I liked 4 fine. Freddy's Dead is dear to my heart and honestly a lot of fun.

Wait I just realized I never saw Dream Child either. Is that one totally worthless?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 21, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s not as bad as the remake (nothing is) but it’s still one of the lesser films. It’s got a cool gothic vibe to it though.

I guess it depends on how you react to the idea of Freddy on a skateboard.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Dream Child is fine. It’s not as good as 4 but the things that make 4 good are still there, to a lesser degree.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Dream Child has a very... unique... aesthetic to it. Very 90s big hair college comedy cartoony optics mixed with the aforementioned gothic vibes, and I'm not sure I can say it pulls it off.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The big problem with Dream Child is it has a really weird, dour tone compared to Dream Master. Similar cast and setup but it's way less fun. The gothic production design is cool, but the tone clashes with the wacky Freddy poo poo, so it's the most off kilter film in the series. That carries over a bit into Freddy's Dead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, it tries to be a serious film about pregnancy and abortion and then the next scene Freddy’s in a cape or turning into a motorcycle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was a loving nerd. Phantasm rips.

Thread title here, because this is loving wisdom. I've still yet to dive into Phantasm III-V but I bet they rule because, crucially, they're more Phantasm.

Just when it starts to slow down, you toss in Tall Man doing Tall Man Stuff, and I'm fully back on board.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Saw X was a good time. I've always had a hard time with the "John Kramer is good, actually" conversations that arise every time a movie comes out so the villain calling him out on being a hypocrite was worth a laugh out of me. All told it was overall a pretty fun movie with some ridiculous cinematography that made me feel like I was watching an early 2000's movie. Our audience was pretty engaged, cringing and laughing at the really gnarly parts which made it probably more fun.

I find Kramer irredeemable, which the movies seem to want to change my mind on? It doesn't work but the trap victims in this one were so deserving I think it would have worked better as a pure revenge movie like Payback. (ending related stuff) It would have better laid the groundwork for his acolytes and their unwinnable traps if Amanda saw her mentor do the same thing. I think we may see the evil doctor lady again as an "evil" Jigsaw one day? Leaving her alive just feels ripe for exploitation.

I'm probably thinking too hard about it. It was a quick, fun watch and is definitely one of the better Saw films.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The Rift! I forgot about this when the aquatic horror topic came up. It's not good by any means, but it exists, and it has a truly godlike poster that is not representative of the film at all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099701/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_7_nm_0_q_the%2520rift

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danknificent posted:

The Rift! I forgot about this when the aquatic horror topic came up. It's not good by any means, but it exists, and it has a truly godlike poster that is not representative of the film at all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099701/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_7_nm_0_q_the%2520rift

The Rift is very fun

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I had heard of the game, but drat, wasn't expecting 1989's Sweet Home to own this much!
Very moody soundtrack and some really great practical effects (enhanced by the low-fi-DVD-rip-quality) - especially that one scene of a dude's skin melting/falling off and their god-damned skeleton falling to pieces.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Definitely a highlight of the whole movie. One of the coolest deaths on film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, it tries to be a serious film about pregnancy and abortion and then the next scene Freddy’s in a cape or turning into a motorcycle.
Ok that sounds hilarious. Def gonna watch that today...maybe 2 also??
Are there "fun" kills in either?

I'm a Freddy's Dead partisan so Freddy on a skateboard sounds right up my alley

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nightmare 2 is a fascinating film from an academic standpoint and is memorable enough from an entertainment standpoint but I don't really think it's very good at the end of it all.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Some guy dreams he is discount Punisher so Freddy turns into Superman and kills him. But it's less fun than it sounds

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
2 has some fun stuff but also the dumbest finale of any noes film

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I watched nightmare 2 for the first time in decades last night and haven't watched the later ones in about as long, so the "Freddy dissonance" wasn't strong. 2 is not bad. I should probably read the gay metaphor stuff because while it's definitely got some homoerotic elements any core theme seemed pretty muddled in service to Freddy killing teens. Like there's an early kill which definitely has some audience whiplash when it gets going but I didn't feel the rest really got anywhere close.

The kills are not particularly Freddy-esque in my opinion, although there are a couple of good visuals. My 60 second thought effort is that Freddy is much more killing focused than terror focused (with killing added) , and that changes his approach.

Also I feel that modern technology helps it a lot visually , my very dated memories are of it being grainy and not easy to make out what was going on to the film's detriment, but HD and larger screens fix that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Zachack posted:

I should probably read the gay metaphor stuff because while it's definitely got some homoerotic elements any core theme seemed pretty muddled in service to Freddy killing teens.

You should definitely watch Scream, Queen

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I need more horror movie kill gifs for uh reasons. Someone find me a bunch. Lots of NOES and Chucky and Hellraiser . Thank you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NoES2 is a movie about a teenager in a deeply homophobic society trying to deal with his emerging gay feelings. His homosexuality is otherized as this malevolent force that he must suppress, because accepting it would turn him into a depraved monster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was about to mention lmfao that person that was like
“Um can we not post movir gore 🤓🤓🤓🤓 in the LP”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn Contamination sound track goes loving hard.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Nightmare 2 could have been a good movie, except it's a Nightmare on Elm Street with almost no dreams.
There's 2 or 3 in the beginning while Jesse is getting possessed and then everything happens in the real world. The whole leather bar/shower room sequence is all in the real world, and somehow now Freddy, the guy who kills you in your dreams, can turn on super hot showers and throw balls around a room.
Freddy's tongue comes out of Jesse's mouth while he's awake. Freddy bursts out of Jesse in Grady's room and kills him while he's fully awake.
The party scene is all in the real world. Freddy can disappear at will, burst out from the bottom of a pool and summon flames.
They go to the boiler room Freddy worked (?) at, and there's guard dogs with kid faces and monster rats, all in the real world.
It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even know what the first movie was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Skrillmub posted:

Nightmare 2 could have been a good movie, except it's a Nightmare on Elm Street with almost no dreams.
There's 2 or 3 in the beginning while Jesse is getting possessed and then everything happens in the real world. The whole leather bar/shower room sequence is all in the real world, and somehow now Freddy, the guy who kills you in your dreams, can turn on super hot showers and throw balls around a room.
Freddy's tongue comes out of Jesse's mouth while he's awake. Freddy bursts out of Jesse in Grady's room and kills him while he's fully awake.
The party scene is all in the real world. Freddy can disappear at will, burst out from the bottom of a pool and summon flames.
They go to the boiler room Freddy worked (?) at, and there's guard dogs with kid faces and monster rats, all in the real world.
It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even know what the first movie was.

Why do you think those sequences happen in the real world and are not Jessies dreams.