Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
as the game progresses, prince florian digs deeper into marios skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

WHY BONER NOW posted:

stand on the pipe with the flower that says "this pipe won't hold us", ride it down off screen

Ah duh lol, thanks! I expect that there will be a lot of "do the thing that would otherwise kill you"

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Non Compos Mentis posted:

as the game progresses, prince florian digs deeper into marios skull

Florian badges are the same as Baldurs Gate tadpole insertions imo.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i wish the poplins harm

i hate them

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The most hosed up wonder flower is the pop quiz. It asks you how many goombas you've killed. Wish I could have answered "How many loaves of bread have you eaten in your life?"

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Daisy having a non-binary voice actress feels pretty on brand imo.

Hi, I'm Theysy!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I’m jumping on the “everyone that hasn’t played Odyssey, should” train, and it sucks there hasn’t been DLC :(

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

eightysixed posted:

I’m jumping on the “everyone that hasn’t played Odyssey, should” train, and it sucks there hasn’t been DLC :(

Luigi balloon hunt was a lot of fun, it was sort of a dlc.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Tafferling posted:

Luigi balloon hunt was a lot of fun, it was sort of a dlc.

I actually liked that too, but a bunch of people didn’t :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the level select screen they show you if you've gotten the three purple coins, the wonder seeds in each level, and a flower water mark for if you watered the poplin at the end of the level.

That one I'm really curious how it is possible in some places because I'm pretty sure I've gone through some stages that have no water

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In the level select screen they show you if you've gotten the three purple coins, the wonder seeds in each level, and a flower water mark for if you watered the poplin at the end of the level.

That one I'm really curious how it is possible in some places because I'm pretty sure I've gone through some stages that have no water

Are you talking about the blue check mark? That's actually if you found absolutely everything, including secret exits if the level has one.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

eightysixed posted:

I keep an eye on ebay but it's struck by Nintendo's 'copies dont devalue over time' curse

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope worth it? It's on sale on eShop now for 50% off. I like the first game quite a bit, although kind of got tired of it by the end.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Tender Bender posted:

Is Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope worth it? It's on sale on eShop now for 50% off. I like the first game quite a bit, although kind of got tired of it by the end.

eh, i burnt out on it in like 3 hours

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Araxxor posted:

Are you talking about the blue check mark? That's actually if you found absolutely everything, including secret exits if the level has one.

No this is a watermark shaped like a flower

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you think they will sneak some new content into the Super Mario RPG remake? It’s one of my favorite games ever, it would be a shame if they missed the chance to add some stuff to it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RCarr posted:

Do you think they will sneak some new content into the Super Mario RPG remake? It’s one of my favorite games ever, it would be a shame if they missed the chance to add some stuff to it.

I'm still hoping they do the culix fight in the opposite direction and use every ounce of the Switch's power to make him look like the most PS5 FF16 lookin rear end boss fight they can

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Macaluso posted:

I'm still hoping they do the culix fight in the opposite direction and use every ounce of the Switch's power to make him look like the most PS5 FF16 lookin rear end boss fight they can

this is also my wish

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RCarr posted:

superboss rematches we’re confirmed in a trailer at least

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm curious what the algorithm or... whatever, is for determining when the game takes a screenshot for the end of level picture

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The closest thing to a complaint I have about Wonder is that Elephant Mario isn't that interesting of a transformation imo. All it can do is whack things with its trunk and splash water. The former is fun but not all that unique, the cape, tanuki, and cat suits all had that too. the latter only really matters in specific contexts where there's a dry plant that needs to be watered.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, are Elephant and Fire Flower the only in-level powerups you can find in this game (not counting mushrooms and invincibility stars) or do more pop up later?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, are Elephant and Fire Flower the only in-level powerups you can find in this game (not counting mushrooms and invincibility stars) or do more pop up later?

Drill and Bubble are the other two new ones
Some of the wonder flower effects also turn you into a different form for a section of the level. One of them is basically the P-Balloon from SMW

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 21, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you have a turtle shell in your hands, you can kick it straight up, then juggle it with your elephant trunk. Eventually you get a few coins out of it :toot:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Wonder is great, but I will not stand for this NSMB erasure!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
NSMB was good they just did too many. If NSMB2 didn’t happen I think people would be more positive about the series

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I kept the stupid flower on because I enjoy how lovely it sounds. I hate him and his cheesy family friendly quips!!

Oh yeah also agree that elephant Mario is kind of a big nothingburger. Boring!!

Loving the world map and wonder effects otherwise. So far only two worlds in but this is SMB3 tier alright

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

NSMB was good they just did too many. If NSMB2 didn’t happen I think people would be more positive about the series

yeah nsmb2 is on the very lowest tier of nintendo games. nsmbu was the best of the nsmb series but between series fatigue and nsmb2 kinda poisoning the series, nobody cared about nsmbu even when it came to switch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a giant world?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

NSMB series was just generally safe and vanilla. They’re solid but they did little other than offer new classic Mario levels. They were visually and mechanically not very exciting.

Wonder feels iterative and creative. I agree with the “best classic style game since 3 or World” assessments. It has the same kind of joy that playing something like Galaxy for the first time did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NSMB2 is Jeremy Parrish and Stuart Gipp's favorite. Gipp I understand, he's British so he grew up with bad games and thinks going to a random corner of the screen and coins appear is a killer feature.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think it's really funny how they set up certain expectations and then do something different with them later. There's several instances early on where the platform you and a flower are on goes away, causing the flower to fall alongside you and scream. But then you guys land and the flower will be like "oh boy that was crazy!". But I just did a wonder seed where after it was done, you do this extremely long fall with the flower next to you the whole time screaming. But in your head you're thinking "I wonder what he'll say when we land". Except that I land on a platform but the flower doesn't. He just keeps falling and screaming until he's off screen. I thought that was hilarious

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

NSMB2 is Jeremy Parrish and Stuart Gipp's favorite. Gipp I understand, he's British so he grew up with bad games and thinks going to a random corner of the screen and coins appear is a killer feature.
Who? Seek help brother.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I bought Knights and Guns during the last minutes of a sale. It's alright... Feels like a mobile game but with co-op. I was hoping for meta upgrades like VS and stuff, but the gameplay is just "shoot upwards and dodge." Maybe it's better with a kid on Player 2, but idk.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the NSMB games were solid fun platformers but they weren't exciting in the way that Wonder is

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

the first NSMB in 2006 was very good and I remember people being hyped because it was the first 2D platformer mario since like... SMW? Or, I guess, Yoshi's Island if you count that as a Mario game.

my 2d mario top 3 is

Mario 3
SMW
NSMB

I haven't finished Wonder yet, but it'll probably be #3 when I'm done.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Someone needs to make a dedicated Wonder thread.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Someone needs to make a dedicated Wonder thread.

It’s literally at the very top of the Games page but here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042328

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh. Fair enough.
But this thread is nothing but Wonder posts.

e: I haven’t even bought it yet, but this thread is imploding itself with Wonder posts, so I just thought taking it to a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Stickying a thread is the kiss of death. Nobody looks at that poo poo.