Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It is very easy so far. I haven’t gotten far and I’m not like looking for super challenging but it’s extremely easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

It is very easy so far. I haven’t gotten far and I’m not like looking for super challenging but it’s extremely easy.

Are you following the beaten path or looking for the hidden stages? Some of the 4 and 5-star stages have really annoyed me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there some secret bonus at the end of Bulrush Express if you smiggle in an elephant shroom? There's a way of bricks but I had to way to bust through em. Level says I got all the challenge coins and both wonder seeds.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Is there some secret bonus at the end of Bulrush Express if you smiggle in an elephant shroom? There's a way of bricks but I had to way to bust through em. Level says I got all the challenge coins and both wonder seeds.

YES you definitely want to do this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

blue squares posted:

Yeah I didn’t read anything or watch any trailers, so I just assumed this was the sequel. My mistake :(

Talk about a Super Mario Blunder

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

DalaranJ posted:

You can turn into a ghost, it just doesn't appear in any tutorials. Hold L and R.
e: I'm actually not certain if it moves you any closer to the other player?
Oh neat. I checked and you can fly back to them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Khanstant posted:

Hidden items don't always appear on the course card but if the green circle/check stamp doesn't appear in the background of the card you've missed something.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bruceski posted:

Are you following the beaten path or looking for the hidden stages? Some of the 4 and 5-star stages have really annoyed me.

The 2 rainbow timed platform stages I’ve played so far were brutal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most of my deaths are from chasing challenge coins in sloppy ways, like in that Bulrush level. The wall jump challenge 2 was hard enough I decided I'd come back in a jumpier mood since I fell to the bottom from way up in that annoying "miss every possible ledge on way down" style and didn't wanna redo it lol.

Bubble Daisy lets me do bubble bobble stuff, I like it. Also the way she peeks around before fully emerging from a pipe is a nice touch. I wish you could spam noises, spamming the four emotes isn't the same as hi I'm daisy hi I'm daisy hi I'm daisy. I'm not even playing online, let me be a menace to myself.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Im a fast and loose player and I’m dying a lot. The elephant form has huge hitbox and I keep getting nicked because I just can’t stand still. Game is good

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

If you press L on the badge screen it suggests a badge at random. But it's very important that when you do this you twirl your mustache (imaginary if necessary) and do your best Vincent Price impression as you say "The Prince's Choice!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm installing a mod to use all badges same time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You don't eventually get the ability to use more than one badge at the same time do you?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jump! Jump! Jump! is on some bullshit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Love that this game has a Special World. Cool thing to bring back.

Anyway just early days but game is super charming so far but wish the levels were a little longer. There's a quite a lot of them (at least in world one) but they all go by real quick.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

You don't eventually get the ability to use more than one badge at the same time do you?

I'm pretty sure this would be impossible. Some of the badges are mutually exclusive abilities.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Jump! Jump! Jump! is on some bullshit

Anything that doesn't kill you, only drives you up a wall instead. I think it took me 50 tries to beat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

blue squares posted:

She and I played the last one and had the most fun searching for the three hidden stars in each level.

The big purple coins are the equivalent.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Can you get all of the secret exits without special items/backtracking? I’ve run Scram, Skedaddlers like 15 times now trying to find this thing (assuming the dotted line flag means there is a secret exit I haven’t found?)

I’m stubborn enough that I want to 100% these stages as I come across them :colbert:

E: turns out I’m dumb and the dotted flag just means “make a perfect flagpole jump for this level”

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 21, 2023

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Can you get all of the secret exits without special items/backtracking? I’ve run Scram, Skedaddlers like 15 times now trying to find this thing (assuming the dotted line flag means there is a secret exit I haven’t found?)

I’m stubborn enough that I want to 100% these stages as I come across them :colbert:

The way to tell if you finished a stage completely is if a stamp is on it in the stage screen.
If not then you either haven't got all the other collectibles (10 coins, flag top, and the normal seeds) or there's a secret exit still.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 21, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finally finding the secret exit in Piranha Plants on Parade was very satisfying.

I can see where Super Mario World comparisons that have popped up in a lot of reviews come from - three coins to collect in a level, secret exits that can occasionally lead to new areas/levels on the world map etc. - but I think more than that this reminds me Super Mario 3D Land (one of my favourite Mario games) in terms of just throwing really creative mechanics at the player on a per-stage basis.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

The Airship theme loving slaps. I like that between this and Odyssey, the SMB1 airship theme from Mario Maker has kind of been retconned into being the OG airship music.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

E: turns out I’m dumb and the dotted flag just means “make a perfect flagpole jump for this level”

You'll need powerups for some collectables and exits, but they're always placed in the level where you need them.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

blue squares posted:

Yeah I didn’t read anything or watch any trailers, so I just assumed this was the sequel. My mistake :(

lol :owned:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay I really hate the search party levels. They're boring designs to begin with, but then depend on finding five hidden secrets. And not cleverly hidden requiring though, just obscure stuff like "jump in just the right spot".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

Talk about a Super Mario Blunder

Really causing some Bowser’s Fury.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/DawnMBennettVA/status/1715465769566552238

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Random Stranger posted:

Okay I really hate the search party levels. They're boring designs to begin with, but then depend on finding five hidden secrets. And not cleverly hidden requiring though, just obscure stuff like "jump in just the right spot".

The one I played last night, there was a midair block in an area that, by process of elimination, made sense to have a block somewhere. Someone left a jumping standee behind where the block should've been. I had the bubble power and jumped all around, including right where the sign was.

The solution: I had to push a pipe into place and jump underneath that spot. Pipe-pushing had not been introduced yet. Felt a little "you're not playing it right" in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Fish posted:

The one I played last night, there was a midair block in an area that, by process of elimination, made sense to have a block somewhere. Someone left a jumping standee behind where the block should've been. I had the bubble power and jumped all around, including right where the sign was.

The solution: I had to push a pipe into place and jump underneath that spot. Pipe-pushing had not been introduced yet. Felt a little "you're not playing it right" in my opinion.

Pipe pushing is introduced in like the first world or two.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ImpAtom posted:

Pipe pushing is introduced in like the first world or two.

If I was a level away from seeing that mechanic, then fair, but I was also four collectibles deep into a five-collectible level with a shiny sign saying "go right here."

In a game that's otherwise a series of chef's kisses in intuitive/permissive design, that was a tiny hiccup.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The world 4 one of those is an absolute fucker

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So since you can only equip one badge at a time what’s the most useful one in your opinion (so far I’m partial to the parachute float and the one that gives you coins for defeating enemies)?

Also anybody know the minimum number of Wonder Seeds needed to reach the final boss yet and/or how to unlock the Secret World?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Larryb posted:

So since you can only equip one badge at a time what’s the most useful one in your opinion (so far I’m partial to the parachute float and the one that gives you coins for defeating enemies)?

Also anybody know the minimum number of Wonder Seeds needed to reach the final boss yet and/or how to unlock the Secret World?

Not sure about Wonder Seeds, but Secret World works like Star Road does in SMW, it's through alternate exits/paths in the normal worlds

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Space Fish posted:

I was okay with that part, but pushing on the wall of the level until it moves was a problem. It was the only part of the level I hadn't used, at least, but there were other interactive elements in the area I hadn't used and invisible character blocks that were required. It comes back to those levels being poorly designed with dull "puzzles".

mfcrocker posted:

The world 4 one of those is an absolute fucker

That was the one that made me post. The first one stunk. The second one was better but was still really bad. That one which is the third was just unfun misery.

In a game with such solid level design elsewhere, the search party stuff stands out for being so bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Not sure about Wonder Seeds, but Secret World works like Star Road does in SMW, it's through alternate exits/paths in the normal worlds

What’s the earliest level you can reach said world from then and how do you find the exit that leads to it?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Game cleared and 100%'d because I have no life. Articulating my thoughts here, using spoilers where necessary:

Basic stuff:
  • Course design is quite solid. Badges provide new and interesting platforming puzzles, and Wonder Flowers completely upending the established norms is a welcome diversion.
  • Course length feels a touch short? Think of it like SMB3 course length -- varied and exciting, but not as lengthy as you might remember from your childhood. If you come into this game expecting Donkey Kong-sized levels, you will not be impressed.
  • Worlds, on the other hand, are packed with Courses to offset the length issue. (Usually. A couple of Worlds are actually rather short, so the Course length is felt more keenly in them.)
  • Everything required for completion is neatly tracked by the game for you. That would be: Wonder Seeds, capped Flagpoles yes, you need to grab them from the top for every Course (but only need to do it once per Course, secret exits don't matter), Big Flower Coins, Badges, and Standees. Courses you've done everything in will have a green check mark (✓) lit up behind the item checklist for that stage. When everything in a whole World is completed, a check mark will be displayed beside the World's name on the map screen.
  • Beware that some Courses have secret exits (denoted by the flagpole being red), and to keep them secret they will not initially have their accompanying Wonder Seed on the Course checklist. If a Course has its whole checklist filled out but doesn't have the check mark, that is your hint to give it another look.
  • Online multiplayer is surprisingly unobtrusive-yet-fun. Other players cannot steal your power-ups or destroy your blocks; their only interactions are to revive players (with Standees if they don't want to sit around waiting) or hand off their boxed Item. Unless you're going for some kind of challenge run, there's no reason not to have Online mode on.
  • I have no strong opinions on local multiplayer as I've no one to try it with, but I will say that player collision is in play here unlike in Online, and you all share the same life count. Take from that what you will.
  • Flower Coins cap at 999, and any acquired past that point evaporate into the ether. Know how Prince Florian keeps nagging you about spending your Flower Coins when you get past 700? That's why.

Spoiler stuff:
  • Was not impressed with the boss design. The main baddie lineup is Bowser Jr., Bowser Jr., Bowser Jr., and Bowser Jr.; he's the Boom-Boom analogue this time, and Boom-Boom is not main boss material. The only really unique fight in the game is the final one with Bowser. Kamek is basically a non-presence.
  • Getting all of the Standees requires some Flower Coin grinding unless you get seriously lucky with the gacha Standee. (Gacha costs 10, guaranteed new bought from the Special World shop costs 30.) Best spot I've seen for farming is "Expert Badge Challenge: Jet Run I" in W1.
  • I did not know about the "Bonus: Coins Galore!" Courses until I was literally typing this post.
  • I really feel like the last zone of the game should've been its own World and not just another section of Petal Isles. If there were just a handful more courses...
  • The final reward for clearing All Of The Things was a badge that replaces all the character sound effects with onomatopoeia by the devs. It did make me grin a little.

Final verdict:
It was awfully short for my tastes, and you can tell that Nintendo needs to get into the groove again after coasting on Super Mario Maker 2 for so long, but all-in-all I enjoyed Wonder. More stuff like this would be welcome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how many seeds did you need to unlock the final boss?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Larryb posted:

What’s the earliest level you can reach said world from then and how do you find the exit that leads to it?

in Bulrush Express, there's some blocks you can smash as elephant just after finishing the stampede that lead to a second exit. This leads to a couple extra levels that eventually lead to the secret world.

That said, you'll only get access to S-1 and the main secret world plaza. S-2 is hidden in world 2 etc

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Larryb posted:

Only as many as you need to unlock/reach the Royal Seeds in each World. Bowser has no other access restrictions.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Larryb posted:

Each world has its own colored seeds, you can't use world 1's blue seeds to unlock gates in world 2 (no skipping the last floor of mario 64 by clearing out the lower floors here). I don't know the count needed for each world offhand but they tell you how many you need for the royal seed when you enter a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Each world has its own colored seeds, you can't use world 1's blue seeds to unlock gates in world 2 (no skipping the last floor of mario 64 by clearing out the lower floors here). I don't know the count needed for each world offhand but they tell you how many you need for the royal seed when you enter a world.

Gotcha, nevermind then. Is it always 14 seeds to unlock the castle stage though or does the number go up as you progress through the worlds?