Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Just occurred to me there doesn't seem to be amiibo support for Wonder, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I always change them to common English names.

Like Jak and Daxter is A Jake and Dexter

Cloud: Cliff
Barret: Bart
Tifa: Tina(I realize this was Terra's name in Japan)
Aerith: Erin
Cid: Cid
Cait Sith: Kate C.
Yuffie: Buffy
Red XIII: Rufus
Vincent: Vincent

you are a monster

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Cloud should be Claude imo

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
And Cait Sith should be Cat poo poo.
I’ve done this numerous times.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Steve Yun posted:

Liking the kid/noob friendly features in SMBW.

See phantoms of other players for hints on how to solve things. Sometimes I’ll jump in place and make the trumpet gesture to hint hard at someone about where to find a secret

Difficulty ratings on levels

Tons of purple coins to buy tons of extra lives

Standees and online players can resurrect you

They add all these features while letting the levels stay the same difficulty

Have any of these been used before in Mario games

I do have one complaint.

The ! Block badge enables blocks that trivializes platforming puzzles and gives you waaaay more power ups, so it gives you the “easy” version of the level…

BUT ALSO UNLOCKS NEW AREAS. It’ll also reveal secrets you could’ve stumbled upon. But there’s just whole rear end new segments you gain access to. Not using the badge basically keeps you from seeing all the content. It kinda sucks!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I hope there’s a “!?” Block badge that litters the levels with Kaizo Mario blocks that sabotage your jumps and block you from powerups and safe passages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I do have one complaint.

The ! Block badge enables blocks that trivializes platforming puzzles and gives you waaaay more power ups, so it gives you the “easy” version of the level…

BUT ALSO UNLOCKS NEW AREAS. It’ll also reveal secrets you could’ve stumbled upon. But there’s just whole rear end new segments you gain access to. Not using the badge basically keeps you from seeing all the content. It kinda sucks!

Given there's two categories of Badges, they really should've let you have one Active Skill and one passive one active at any time, rather than just _A_ Badge.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I do have one complaint.

Don't use it and find them for yourself?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It’s not so much that it would take the place of another badge, in fact I would prefer a badge that was just “you can’t use other badges but you get to see more cool stuff”, but the ! Block Badge makes everything too easy as well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Automata 10 Pack posted:

It’s not so much that it would take the place of another badge, in fact I would prefer a badge that was just “you can’t use other badges but you get to see more cool stuff”, but the ! Block Badge makes everything too easy as well.

So you're playing as Yoshi as well?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

so don't use it and find the stuff yourself. the movement tech in this game is insane

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Barreft posted:

Don't use it and find them for yourself?
Is reading four sentences too much for you? There are secret areas exclusive to the ! Block badge that are locked off if you don’t use it. And you can tell that there’s no other way to access them because the mechanics within those segments are exclusive to the ! Block Badge.

https://x.com/oddmutant/status/1715905696984641621?s=46

An Actual Princess posted:

so don't use it and find the stuff yourself. the movement tech in this game is insane
🫠

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is reading four sentences too much for you? There are secret areas exclusive to the ! Block badge that are locked off if you don’t use it. And you can tell that there’s no other way to access them because the mechanics within those segments are exclusive to the ! Block Badge.

🫠

Yeah it's annoying, you just have to resign yourself to wear the badge or plan to revisit stages with it equipped later. And to be honest revisiting stages isn't really that much of a bad thing in this game

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Automata 10 Pack posted:

🫠

There's so many ways to get to that. The ! Block is like the easy mode characters, useful for parents of little kids.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah it's annoying, you just have to resign yourself to wear the badge or plan to revisit stages with it equipped later. And to be honest revisiting stages isn't really that much of a bad thing in this game
Yup! That’s what I’m saying. And the levels have to be easier too when I revisit them. Booooo.

Still a 10/10 game, and why this is even a problem is because they probably greenlit a “additional powerup block” mechanic and the team had the time and freedom to take that idea and run with it, into whole rear end secret bonus rooms few folks will even see.

But, y’know, now I gotta see that bonus stuff. But the rest of the level becomes easier, and they also spoil the other secrets you could’ve discovered but missed. So uh. Bleh.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Barreft posted:

There's so many ways to get to that. The ! Block is like the easy mode characters, useful for parents of little kids.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Barreft posted:

The person in the video ends up in an entirely different zone where the floor is made of nothing but ! blocks, and yeah it's technically an easy mode, but it's also a wholeass new area you can only see with the badge equipped.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Barreft posted:

Now I think you’re just trying to save face here. The vine is spawned from the ! Block and the set piece is built around the ! Block. You wouldn’t be able to finish the set piece without the ! Block active. I haven’t seen this area referenced without the ! Block in any guide. I’d love it if you showed any proof of this area being accessed and finished without it, but I’m pretty sure I’m correct about this.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Barreft posted:

Did you watch the video? are you even conscious

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

The closest thing to a complaint I have about Wonder is that Elephant Mario isn't that interesting of a transformation imo. All it can do is whack things with its trunk and splash water. The former is fun but not all that unique, the cape, tanuki, and cat suits all had that too. the latter only really matters in specific contexts where there's a dry plant that needs to be watered.

It's totally fine as a random power-up but weird as like, the centerpiece new one. It doesn't have the gamechanging appeal that say, cat Mario did. The trunk is okay but generic like you said and the water splashing feels like busywork.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did you watch the video? are you even conscious

X videos don't embed in the forums, and nobody is going to click through to that site

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

X videos don't embed in the forums, and nobody is going to click through to that site

It’s embedded on the SA app. :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

It's embedded fine for me in Firefox

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
it embedded for me on the site on my pc in chrome.

and if that poster didn't watch the video why did they reply with "there's so many ways to that"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Now I think you’re just trying to save face here. The vine is spawned from the ! Block and the set piece is built around the ! Block. You wouldn’t be able to finish the set piece without the ! Block active. I haven’t seen this area referenced without the ! Block in any guide. I’d love it if you showed any proof of this area being accessed and finished without it, but I’m pretty sure I’m correct about this.

I replayed the level with and without the ! blocks and it appears to be a separate bonus area just for ! users.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Space Fish posted:

I replayed the level with and without the ! blocks and it appears to be a separate bonus area just for ! users.

Does it reward anything like a seed or whatever that shows up on the completion thing or is it just like a fun little bonus area with coins and whatever? I would like to 100% it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Automata 10 Pack posted:

It’s embedded on the SA app. :shrug:

I'm literally on the app right now

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Macaluso posted:

Does it reward anything like a seed or whatever that shows up on the completion thing or is it just like a fun little bonus area with coins and whatever? I would like to 100% it

The embedded Xitter video shows, and I found too, an "up in the clouds" area with some yellow and purple coins, nothing that would be checked off on the level's progress.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GoldenGun posted:

Get a Neogrip and this ratio will turn around.

This thing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I found Special World and tried out the first level which was a 5-star difficulty level. Lost about 20 lives just trying to time my jumps correctly and kept missing them over and over again :ohdear: I think I just suck at Mario lol

Gonna try this Desert world instead because I haven't done this one yet.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The special world levels aren't quite as frustrating as their SMW counterparts, but they're close

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mario Wonder is yet again another mystery of how Nintendo keeps poo poo fresh and cool

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Twitter embeds can be blocked based on browser settings, in my case Firefox blocks them due to privacy settings.

Also from what I saw on the video those areas are basically secret areas that have just coins/powerups, unless big collectables are locked behind them I find no issue on it (haven't started up the game yet, been real busy)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh no poor baby has to play the delightfully charming 90 second level again to find all the secrets. What an AWFUL design decision!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The ! Block badge is not required to 100% the game. It just leads to neat alternate secrets sometimes, but they never contain vital collectibles.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wanting to see everything isn't the same as wanting to get what the game calls 100 percent. Anyway yeah it's a good excuse to play through the levels a second time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Friends, I just want to say that Wonder is such a delightful game. I really think it’s gonna be up there with SMB3 and SMW for me in the all time greats.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Friends, I just want to say that Wonder is such a delightful game. I really think it’s gonna be up there with SMB3 and SMW for me in the all time greats.

Yeah, I’ll be honest and say I’ve never been a huge fan of the 3d Marios so going back to 2d is a step up for me. I’m just terrible at 3d platforming

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

The ! is never required to get an item for completion. It is, however, extremely useful for finding the most difficult to locate ones because the ! blocks effectively become a beacon. Otherwise, they lead to bonus areas that get you more coins and the like besides making all of the platforming much easier. If you play as a yoshi or a nabbit and use the ! badge, you can almost sleepwalk through the game; not a bad option to exist for people who are just getting overwhelmed.

No badge is ever truly required, it's just there are some places where it's very difficult to get to something without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve got 90 something stars in Galaxy and I’m determined to get them all at this point, but Star Bunnies in the Snow can get hosed and I think I may just skip this star because this level is the loving worst.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVlQOGb0i_Q