Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Crossposting from the other thread because it tickled me:

I think it's really funny how they set up certain expectations and then do something different with them later. There's several instances early on where the platform you and a flower are on goes away, causing the flower to fall alongside you and scream. But then you guys land and the flower will be like "oh boy that was crazy!". But I just did a wonder seed where after it was done, you do this extremely long fall with the flower next to you the whole time screaming. But in your head you're thinking "I wonder what he'll say when we land". Except that I land on a platform but the flower doesn't. He just keeps falling and screaming until he's off screen. I thought that was hilarious

Novasol posted:

You'll need powerups for some collectables and exits, but they're always placed in the level where you need them.

As far as I could tell this was not true for the second level with the stampede wonder seed. You can't get to the secret exit without the elephant powerup, but I never saw an elephant powerup in that stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Some of these 4 star courses are slapping my nuts. Specifically Megaman Walljump 2. Having a blast splitting my time between this and Spider-man

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
King Boos song slaps

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Im probably just bad at Videos Games but this game doesn’t seem as easy as people are complaining that it is. Its harder than World and 3 at least

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I've found it to be a typical example of modern Nintendo difficulty: getting to the end of every level is easy, but getting everything within the level is hard. And I've found that after 3 stars there isn't really a meaningful correlation between stars and difficulty. I've had huge issues with 3-star levels and coasted through levels that are supposedly harder.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

The stuff on the main path has been decently easy, but anything off the main path is harder, with the levels in the special world being very hard

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Pro tip: get charming Rayman-style gibberish in the game by changing the flowers' spoken language to Dutch

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Can you set the flower language without setting the general interface language?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah you can set it totally independently of everything else which was an inspired decision tbh

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Macaluso posted:

As far as I could tell this was not true for the second level with the stampede wonder seed. You can't get to the secret exit without the elephant powerup, but I never saw an elephant powerup in that stage.

You can take a snail shell from the level and use that. There's even a big one right before the end that you can use. It's not easy but you can do it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Novasol posted:

You can take a snail shell from the level and use that. There's even a big one right before the end that you can use. It's not easy but you can do it.

In a hundred billion trillion years I wouldn't have thought to do that

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Does Nabbit get anything like eating enemies or carrying others?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Atoramos posted:

Does Nabbit get anything like eating enemies or carrying others?

Nope, near as I can tell he’s exactly like he was in Mario/Luigi U except I think he can ride Yoshis in this game

plasticbones
Aug 4, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Pro tip: get charming Rayman-style gibberish in the game by changing the flowers' spoken language to Dutch

I've just done this, great tip thanks.

Speaking of voice acting, the lack of Charles Martinet was jarring at first, but now that I'm used to it, Mario/Luigi do sound a little less tired.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like that in order to get the secret exit for the bonus world level in the mine world, you have to do the "rescue the miners" level a second time, and instead of just replaying the dialogue from the first time, the dude is like "I can't believe you idiots managed to get yourself trapped again" and they're all like "sorry this happened a second time..."

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've decided Nabbit's full name is Daniel George Nabbit. Dan G. Nabbit

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Or maybe Dr. Antonio Damien Nabbit

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The search party levels are fun with random people! As a single player experience it’s pretty painful but it’s fun to try and figure out the hidden areas in a level alongside others and then when one of you figures it out, you spam emotes until they get the message that you want them to follow you, and then they give you a smiley as thanks. It feels nice helping people out :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yep. The bounce physics are not great in Wonder and those are the worst of it.

I'm at the end of the game and I think I'd put Wonder below NSMBU. I was thinking it might be below NSMB Wii, but the level design is better for Wonder. It's still good, I just don't see myself revisiting this one often.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
Just 100%ed this, pretty fun, but I ended up having to do the final bonus stage three times (spoilers for one of the bonus levels) because they thought it was cute to have a finicky jump for the flag-pole while you're INVISIBLE.
I can safely say I'm firmly sick of flag-poles as the goal marker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m already at 5/6 royal seeds

Game too short

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
im only at 3/6 but i havent main lined it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently if you are playing with a pro controller and you run over musical blocks you will hear piano scales coming from your controller

It’s very faint and you have to turn off your tv speakers and put the controller up to your ears

The pro controller doesn’t have a speaker, it’s using different frequencies on the rumble motor to hit different keys

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo it works with detached joycons too and it’s louder

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I want to find whoever insists on including shadow Mario levels in every single Mario game and give them a very stern taking to.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’s strange because the game does feel short so far, but it’s because you can run past half the levels without incentive to go back to them, which is a strange decision to me. Like there are very short worlds, but then 20 ignorable seeds in the first world— the game is shorter because you can actively avoid loads of content

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

vegetables posted:

It’s strange because the game does feel short so far, but it’s because you can run past half the levels without incentive to go back to them, which is a strange decision to me. Like there are very short worlds, but then 20 ignorable seeds in the first world— the game is shorter because you can actively avoid loads of content

believe me, this is not an issue for kids - they pick their favorite levels and go play them because joy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've decided Nabbit's full name is Daniel George Nabbit. Dan G. Nabbit

Rab C Nabbit

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The multiplayer integration is really fun but I think I prefer it off for my first run of each level. It's super distracting and busy, probably my ADHD but it's hard to get a feel for the level and I feel rushed with all the shadows running and jumping around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nice to see Bowser has become an equal-opportunity employer for his explosive ordinance.

Missile Megs

I loving despise these things. I get the intent, but in practice they only exist to bounce you in the wrong (probably fatal) direction 99% of the time.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

My flowers speak Korean and the VA is charming, if only they had a Welsh setting

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Oh man, if you hate them now, they reappear again in the true final level while you're invisible. (Though they're still not as bad as the obstacle that immediately follows them.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Oh poo poo it works with detached joycons too and it’s louder

Oh yeah I forgot the Switch had that dynamic rumble or whatever they called it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I like the flower in one of the beach levels who's like hey kids! Drink seawater!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the Switch had that dynamic rumble or whatever they called it.

HD Rumble, its easy to forget about until a game suddenly uses it.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Argue posted:

The search party levels are fun with random people! As a single player experience it’s pretty painful but it’s fun to try and figure out the hidden areas in a level alongside others and then when one of you figures it out, you spam emotes until they get the message that you want them to follow you, and then they give you a smiley as thanks. It feels nice helping people out :3:

Yeah, I wasn't super sold on the online at first but they helped me warm up to it. I imagine they're infuriating if you didn't pay for online though.

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, nevermind then. Is it always 14 seeds to unlock the castle stage though or does the number go up as you progress through the worlds?

Different worlds have different level/seed amounts, World 3 is shorter than the first two worlds so only needs like 10 seeds to clear. It's generally around 50%, I'd say in general beating each level without finding bonuses would work, or you can skip levels if you find the extra seeds in levels you already cleared.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This game is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

I don't like the Search Party levels tbh. It's a neat concept, but they're deliberately engineered to be obtuse and multiplayer focused, forcing everyone rub and jump against ever surface to force a solution. The levels should be intuitive enough to be done solo offline at a baseline, and they're very much not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Macaluso posted:

If you come back with the easy mode add ! blocks badge, it adds a source of elephant right at the start