Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's going to end up reshaping the entire world. The world-historical significance of Oct. 7th isn't just the revolution in Arab affairs, it pre-empts the possibility of fortress politics. The idea that the First World can somehow isolate itself within the walled garden and kill everything that approaches is totally dead now. There is no perfectly effective system of security that can indefinitely keep the "savages" out, no matter how capital intensive and cybernetic the system is it will have points of failure that can be defeated given enough time to present themselves. A seemingly unassailable power imbalance breeds complacency. If the "First World" wants to survive it will have to negotiate with the wretched masses of humanity. Whether they're willing to negotiate or not is tough titties, the theory of asymmetrical resistance is already proven.

Just look at the Herculean effort required just to attempt a genocide on a tiny strip of land filled with the world's poorest people. The First World doesn't have the physical capacity to wage the kind of mass death they suppose is necessary. Nuclear hostage taking also loses its impact when there are nuclear powers in the 2nd and 3rd worlds. The First World is making its entry into the climate crisis playing a worse hand than any of our leadership is capable of recognizing. We might seem like we're bluffing, but we actually believe that we hold all the cards.
Wanted to quote this for hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If the US had a draft, I don’t know what even they would do with them, the US MIC isn’t designed for mobilized warfare.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ardennes posted:

If the US had a draft, I don’t know what even they would do with them, the US MIC isn’t designed for mobilized warfare.

And if they refuse, Jail them where exactly lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A substitute teacher of mine in junior high told us during class that during vietnam he was an NCO and used to beat guys who tried to be consciencious objectors with 2x4s. He said this unprompted, there was nothing going on that connected to it in any way.

Anyway, I figure the plan would be something like that.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
what if I just want to object and don't really want to be conscientious about it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
LMAO michigan state putting Hitler on their scoreboard during the football game. Sparty noooo! At least it wasn't Hitler 2.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/davidsheen/status/1715961936976756812?s=20

I'm not sure how accurate this claim is. The translations that people are posting sounds like esoteric gibberish.

It's announcing a prayer congregation with some rabbis at the temple mount. The way the text is arranged is just wacky.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

How do I send money to the Mujahideen?

I know that each time that you watch Rambo 3 it sends 3 thoughts and 2 prayers their way, that's actually part of the reason that they couldn't be defeated

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
one benefit of all this is seeing the arab zionists and the fascist media worms having to start giving Hamas props lip service after a decade of them badmouthing them and the palestinians, god seeing them squirm is so great.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

30.5 Days posted:

A substitute teacher of mine in junior high told us during class that during vietnam he was an NCO and used to beat guys who tried to be consciencious objectors with 2x4s. He said this unprompted, there was nothing going on that connected to it in any way.

maybe you shouldn't have been so rowdy in class.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

How do I send money to the Mujahideen?

buy Rambo III

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sancho Banana posted:

It's announcing a prayer congregation with some rabbis at the temple mount. The way the text is arranged is just wacky.

The absolute shitstorm that will happen in jerusalem and the west bank, and in all muslim countries if they try to demolish al aqsa and the dome of the rock.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Sanlav posted:

I wasn't linking it to suggest Osama had some good ideas.

Osama's big thing was getting America out of the middle east, which seems like a good idea.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

maybe you shouldn't have been so rowdy in class.

Man we were behaving he just started talking.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sanlav posted:

I wasn't linking it to suggest Osama had some good ideas.

The guy didn't have a job and spent all day jacking off and playing emulated nintendo DS games. Those are some pretty good ideas.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

30.5 Days posted:

this reminds me of the time a 7th grade English teacher sub went on a completely unpromped off topic zionist rant about how great Israel was. did you know an Israeli Air Force pilot once landed an f15 with a whole wing blown off? they can beat anyone in a war even America.

even at age 12 it was the weirdest poo poo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dti

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

must be true, they're verified

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

30.5 Days posted:

The guy didn't have a job and spent all day jacking off and playing emulated nintendo DS games. Those are some pretty good ideas.

someone should have bought him an account, he would have been an lf superstar

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Basically the US military has never been this vulnerable or operationally limited since the Korean War.

The US military is so high on their own supply it acts as if cowing a nation once is permanent. Despite Iran and Iraq being on the greatest hits album since the 70's, we were dumb enough to think that coming back 10 years later with the latest and greatest to shock and awe Iraq was going to be some Hiroshimo/Nagasaki deal and chill the region for a generation. You'd think that the negative feedback loop we're in would be blaring in your face when your fleeing Afghanistan and publicly transitioning back to the governments you arrived to depose in 2001.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im going to have sex with draftees girlfriends and wives

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sanlav posted:

The US military is so high on their own supply it acts as if cowing a nation once is permanent. Despite Iran and Iraq being on the greatest hits album since the 70's, we were dumb enough to think that coming back 10 years later with the latest and greatest to shock and awe Iraq was going to be some Hiroshimo/Nagasaki deal and chill the region for a generation. You'd think that the negative feedback loop we're in would be blaring in your face when your fleeing Afghanistan and publicly transitioning back to the governments you arrived to depose in 2001.

Japan got to be the example that made the whole world fear the devastation of the new weapons used against them. Yet it was the reconstruction project and diplomacy that put them in America's pocket.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sanlav posted:

I'm going to get an american politician style blood-eye if I have to hear another western media article about how bad things are in Afghanistan now that the Taliban are back in power, without even once mentioning decades of war and sanctions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Those shitters in the barracks won't clean themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blackhawk posted:

I'm going to get an american politician style blood-eye if I have to hear another western media article about how bad things are in Afghanistan now that the Taliban are back in power, without even once mentioning decades of war and sanctions.

Kinda lol given last I heard they'd eradicated the massive poppy trade to plant wheat instead and the former fighters are now desperately bored administrators

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda lol given last I heard they'd eradicated the massive poppy trade to plant wheat instead and the former fighters are now desperately bored administrators

Nobody wants to work anymore

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The absolute shitstorm that will happen in jerusalem and the west bank, and in all muslim countries if they try to demolish al aqsa and the dome of the rock.

Isn't it just evangelical weirdos who want to destroy the dome to build a third temple? Religious jews don't believe it can/should be done before the messianic age iirc.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Weka posted:

Osama's big thing was getting America out of the middle east, which seems like a good idea.
He condemned a lot of lives who had no say in the matter in the short term as collateral damage, and the Arab world was still too fractured to capitalize. Maybe the financial damage it wrought on the US empire sum total will get America out of the middle east. Maybe it was the easter rising and all the people executed didn't die in vain. But as it stands, he brought the hammer down on the region, millions more died and things are worse than ever in Palestine currently. 1916 was a turning point for Ireland that they can celebrate, but there were 300 years where generation after generation of male leadership was executed every 30 or so when they failed.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

who would want to go to war at all, who would want to go to war with a nuclear armed state, who would want to go to war with two nuclear armed states.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the US military has never been this vulnerable or operationally limited since the Korean War.

I think it's far weaker now than after the Korean war. At that time you still had plenty of knowledgeable professionals in the military and the US had a stable industrial base that was the greatest in the world.

The military today can't keep trained people in important areas, can't recruit, is riddled with mic corruption, and the country absolutely cannot support a draft so this is all they get.

Someone posted an article in the ww3 thread about how the supply and manufacturing situation is even worse than it seems and it's going to take years to even understand the scale of the problem. The five years to replace everything sent to Ukraine is likely deliriously optimistic.

US economic soft power has also been shown to have more limits than expected. The US is entirely a paper tiger. We can bomb weddings and make life miserable for lots of people while still being unable to do anything significant militarily. The carriers being in the med is a huge risk for exposing the weakness if the bluff is called.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Sanlav posted:

He condemned a lot of lives who had no say in the matter in the short term as collateral damage, and the Arab world was still too fractured to capitalize. Maybe the financial damage it wrought on the US empire sum total will get America out of the middle east. Maybe it was the easter rising and all the people executed didn't die in vain. But as it stands, he brought the hammer down on the region, millions more died and things are worse than ever in Palestine currently. 1916 was a turning point for Ireland that they can celebrate, but there were 300 years where generation after generation of male leadership was executed every 30 or so when they failed.

I can't bring myself to condone his methods but America loving around in the middle east for 20 years has allowed China to materially surpass it. Doesn't look good for continued hegemony.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's funny how much our victory in Iraq is overestimated because like WW2 we had someone doing most of the fighting for us: Iran. The scale of the Iran Iraq war was huge and before any deserts were stormed Iraq had been devastated. It's completely absurd to crow about a victory over Iraq later after ten years of sanctions had reduced it to ashes.

I think basically the only war of any note America has won on its own is the Spanish American war. Truly a proud military legacy.

tbf, America has previously and continues to kick rear end in the absolute middle of the Pacific. Nimitz is totally underrated. If some country wanted to meet us way out in the ocean hundreds of miles from any land resources America would crush them. Somehow I don't think Iran, NK, Russia, etc are going to be as accommodating as the Japanese on that point though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think basically the only war of any note America has won on its own is the Spanish American war. Truly a proud military legacy.

civil war.

won and lost it on its own.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Weka posted:

I can't bring myself to condone his methods but America loving around in the middle east for 20 years has allowed China to materially surpass it. Doesn't look good for continued hegemony.

Would have happened anyway. Neoliberalism is one hell of a drug

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1716016772217004183?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Lavrov visiting iran tomorrow

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
huge good vibes demonstration in Philly last night :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/prismxp/status/1715874770762256797

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1715835917402013700

Having been there, I think the estimate on crowd size is over-optimistic, my party is guessing it was fifteen thousand, but this was still incredible, and again no counter-demonstrators dared show up.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://x.com/AstuteCFO/status/1716015582347428005?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lmfao