Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1716021123958149313

gently caress sake... it's not hard to say that war crimes are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1716021123958149313

gently caress sake... it's not hard to say that war crimes are bad

It is if you want to remain an MP in Kid "Keith" Harmer's Labour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

We all remember that heartwarming moment in Pride where some of the miners were homophobic and all the gay people decided none of them deserved rights after all and all marched back to london with the cash

This also happened during the miners' strikes in the 80s when students' unions turned up in support - they were met with comments such as "get back to class, we're paying for you to study from our taxes" (obviously this was in grant days)!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

It is if you want to remain an MP in Kid "Keith" Harmer's Labour.

I'm glad she looked so loving uncomfortable justifying an ongoing genocide, and I'm glad she's getting absolutely dumped upon on twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

How can these people claim to be standing up for Britain when they're specifically stanning the people Britain fought against

The contradiction is the point you say?
They're also saying that asylum seekers should be shot but also that Hess should have been let off because he surrendered as a civilian on foreign soil, so yeah.

I suspect it's like the obvious errors in ponzi scams, filtering out anyone likely to see the whole thing and engage thought processes rather than lower order emotional processing is part of the idea.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1716002085462855723

Who'd have thought that a humanitarian like Kelvin Mackenzie would turn out to be a genocide supporting oval office?

Has he broken the law by saying this on air? Asking for humanity

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

How can these people claim to be standing up for Britain when they're specifically stanning the people Britain fought against

Because they are Nazis and therefore very loving stupid.

Although if you wanted to be charitable, our Fash have always thought Britain should have allied with the Nazis to take on the USSR. Stand with our Germanic brethern against the Asiatic hordes, who are also lead by Judeo-Bolshevism. And Hess is a hero for risking his life and freedom by going on his solo mission to negotiate peace so that Germany could avoid a 2 front War.

Of course all this ignores that Hess had been replaced by Bormann and this was probably a hail mary to get himself back in Hitler's good graces, inspired by a dream or astrologers or something equally dumb.

Hitler tried to distance the regime from Hess by labelling him as crazy but the proof is more just Hess was both very stupid and desperately unable to cope with being on the outs with Hitler. And I do mean extremely stupid.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Also hate their loving ugly 1940's wartime-era biting font choices. I know britfash dressing hate up in ration book aesthetics is deliberate but goddamn.

Edit: The KERNING on these fascists... No but you know

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 22, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are these ones pro or anti buming poppies?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

The main chat in my friend group is “loving nazis stole all the cool symbols.” That and “who exactly is coming out to bat for Rudolph Hess of all people in this day and age?”

The black sun symbol is entirely their own, makes a change from the rest of their appropriations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hitler had no plans to invade the UK because he genuinely expected us to side with them, and we probably would have done were it not for pesky conventions we had already committed to. A lot of people seem to have memory holed that our Royal Family were strong Nazi supporters before publicly being a Nazi was deemed unfashionable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen the Hess thing in a couple of places, not sure if it's a recent thing but yeah, it's a thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you think about it, Britain also fought against the Scots and French revolutionaries. So as you clearly see, there is zero difference between the nazis and SNP or anti-monarchists

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

Has "pc" meaning % always been used? As in "24pc of people in a poll".

It's pieces, like 5pc chicken.

24 pieces of people in a poll

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Although percent is now written that way, it used to be per cent, per 100. So it can indeed be abbreviated as pc.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Holy poo poo, I have a PSC keychain, I'm going to jail!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

Although percent is now written that way, it used to be per cent, per 100. So it can indeed be abbreviated as pc.

I thought it would be more of an old timey thing. Do other broadsheets use it?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Are these ones pro or anti buming poppies?

:hmmyes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huh. So this is interesting. Was doing some digging around and found some truly Catch 22 vibes bullshit from the DWP after being pointed to this article (trust the Express to try and misrepresent universal credit as a freebie you can top up your savings with).

Basically, I don't earn poo poo. But every time I run my numbers through one of the government-recommended benefits calculators, they always seem to pull this figure out of their arses about how much they think I earn. It's usually been around £200-500 a month in previous years, but after looking at that article, it's gone up to an assumed £1,396 a month.

So this is the first time I've looked into it but they have something called a minimum income floor - no idea how new this is, but it works as follows:

quote:

What does ‘minimum income floor ’ mean if you’re self-employed

The minimum income floor is the amount of money an employed person in a similar situation to you would earn on the National Living Wage or National Minimum Wage , after taking off tax and National Insurance.

[...]

If you earn less than the minimum income floor, we’ll calculate your payment using the minimum income floor.
So essentially if you earn under the floor, they calculate that you could be earning at the floor and you don't get paid. If you earn over the floor, you don't get paid. If you can prove (presumably after months of appeals) that you earn under the floor, you get passed onto a job coach who tells you to quit and get a minimum wage job so that you earn over the floor, and they can stop paying you.

It's quite elegantly machievellian. It's also remarkably evil that they'll happily use the term 'National Living Wage" here, but not legislate to increase the legal minimum wage to match it. Which forces more of the working poor into the universal credit system.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jippa posted:

I thought it would be more of an old timey thing. Do other broadsheets use it?

No idea but as nobbut a child, I learned it as per cent and usually spell it that way as it is still valid though increasingly obscure.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Huh. So this is interesting. Was doing some digging around and found some truly Catch 22 vibes bullshit from the DWP after being pointed to this article (trust the Express to try and misrepresent universal credit as a freebie you can top up your savings with).

Basically, I don't earn poo poo. But every time I run my numbers through one of the government-recommended benefits calculators, they always seem to pull this figure out of their arses about how much they think I earn. It's usually been around £200-500 a month in previous years, but after looking at that article, it's gone up to an assumed £1,396 a month.

So this is the first time I've looked into it but they have something called a minimum income floor - no idea how new this is, but it works as follows:

So essentially if you earn under the floor, they calculate that you could be earning at the floor and you don't get paid. If you earn over the floor, you don't get paid. If you can prove (presumably after months of appeals) that you earn under the floor, you get passed onto a job coach who tells you to quit and get a minimum wage job so that you earn over the floor, and they can stop paying you.

It's quite elegantly machievellian. It's also remarkably evil that they'll happily use the term 'National Living Wage" here, but not legislate to increase the legal minimum wage to match it. Which forces more of the working poor into the universal credit system.

Seems to assume also that there are full time jobs (or jobs 30+ hours pwk) available which I know for a fact are incredibly rare round here. Most advertised jobs are 8-12h per week and with crappy public transport you can't actually get to the bigger towns for 9am starts or leave work at 530pm if you want to get to & from work on the same day without forking out £100 each way for a taxi or being able to afford to own & run a car or have a friend/relative able & willing to drive you to and fro.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It also specifically mentions gig economy and zero hours under 'gainfully employed,' which is again part of the trick - they can claim they're supporting low earners when in reality it's a funnel to harrass the working poor until they either give up trying to get the help or luck out into a better job, and they don't have to pay them.

But that original job still exists and someone still has to do it. So round we go again.

I'm not naïve, I always knew this was the case, it's just interesting to see the specifics of how it works vs how it's presented.

I'm assuming it's also presented that way in the Express article to get people to apply, find out they earn too much, and then get mad at the idea of people getting 'handouts' they aren't.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1716064958541131851

Obviously nothing is going to come of this, but...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Having the same phone number doesn’t mean the WhatsApp messages will still be on the phone, if you don’t turn on the cloud backup bullshit they’re not saved anywhere between devices :shrug:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We need Facebook to provide GCHQ with a WhatsApp backdoor so that they can revover/delete those messages.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1716064958541131851

Obviously nothing is going to come of this, but...

UK journalist class are loving morons, you can transfer numbers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Funny how all Tories are clumsy with the security of their own phones, but are allowed to determine the security of the country.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In my defence I've never used Whatsapp

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

the irony being neither side in the conflict is particularly good on lgbt issues, although one of them is actively killing both lgbt and non-lgbt people with glee

the sad thing is that lgbt rights are increasingly being seen abroad as a tool of empire, as a justification for western agression with the support of NGOs trying to colour revolution anyone who moves.

Isomermaid posted:

It's a very strange tactic this, I've seen it a few places posted as a gotcha. I don't get the "transactional support" mindset at all, a cause doesn't stop being valid if the people who's rights you're championing don't (all) respect yours back. Very "teams vs causes".

Yes, I have a gay friend (we've all gotta have one right) and it's not as if Palestinian homophobia comes as a shock. Plus as he said it is difficult to change the hearts and minds of people that are dead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Having the same phone number doesn’t mean the WhatsApp messages will still be on the phone, if you don’t turn on the cloud backup bullshit they’re not saved anywhere between devices :shrug:
Backup is on by default, there's no chance in hell he or Boris are tech savvy enough to have turned it off.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/a_toots/status/1716029703893422328

There's so much going on in this video

It's also amusing watching Lisa Nandy try to do a damage control media blitz after not calling a war crime a war crime this morning

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1716065281724784922

She's being rightfully swamped in the comments

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 22, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Backup is on by default, there's no chance in hell he or Boris are tech savvy enough to have turned it off.

I’m pretty sure it’s not because I don’t have it enabled and I’ve never gone out of my way to do that, unless you count pressing the “no thanks” button when it first asked if I wanted it turned on.

Besides which, there’s also no chance in hell that either of them set up their own phones when they’ve got a staff of people to do all that pleb poo poo for them, so I wouldn’t worry too much about how savvy either of them are or aren’t.

Also lol if you don’t think “turn off all the backup features so we always have plausible deniability” isn’t on the first page of the playbook for any government IT.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 22, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Sanford posted:

Message for [name redacted so as to cause no trouble to our new IK] of Rugby

If you want all this racism you left on your table in a service station yesterday can you please drop me a PM?

Thanks —! I know you came back looking for it but I was busy laying it out to take photos of in the disabled toilet!

we're lucky these nazis are dumb enough to leave their nazi kits lying around at service stations, i suppose

small mercies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who caused the humanitarian emergency Lisa?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's a oval office fight happening :toot:

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1715980082097897796

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Hide what behind decorum, Nadine?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You're really going to have to start screenshotting my guy, nobody can see the tweet being replied to or the comments unless they're signed in, and nobody's signed in any more.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That requires way more effort than simply signing up for a shitposting/lurking account on twitter

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1716099174255505896

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/a_toots/status/1716029703893422328

There's so much going on in this video

It's also amusing watching Lisa Nandy try to do a damage control media blitz after not calling a war crime a war crime this morning

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1716065281724784922

She's being rightfully swamped in the comments

the for sale sign and the new brickwork makes me think that this might be one of those flood plain areas which we’ve been building on because gently caress if they try building next to my pretty countryside village