Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, even back when I was in school, everyone tried their hardest to cram their kids into Gymnasium auf Biegen and Brechen, and the reason wasn't "We hate Handwerker".

Turns out parents actually care for their kids and want them to have a chance of a well-paying job in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's always fun to see Boomers just absolutely willfully refusing to understand this effect even right in front of them.

- "Nobody's going into the trades anymore, the government should do something to foster more appreciation for good old manual labour!"
- "Have you tried paying your apprentices properly and maybe stop treating them like absolute poo poo?"
- "LEHRJAHRE SIND KEINE HERRENJAHRE!!!" :bahgawd:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Magic City Monday posted:

The Institut der deutschen Wirtschaft has a good tool to show you how your income compares to the rest of Germany:

https://www.iwkoeln.de/presse/interaktive-grafiken/judith-niehues-maximilian-stockhausen-einkommensverteilung-in-deutschland.html

Does Germany also have the 13th and 14th month in wage billing like us in the south?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Does Germany also have the 13th and 14th month in wage billing like us in the south?

I don't understand, the year only has 12 months?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Libluini posted:

I don't understand, the year only has 12 months?

Math is tricky like that

But I guess the answer is no?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

genericnick posted:

Many jobs pay 13 months of wages, with the 13th wage paid half and half in May and November as vacation and Christmas money.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Math is tricky like that

But I guess the answer is no?

To quote my Arbeitgeber, "your Weihnachtsgeld is already einberechnet in your regular Gehalt, you're welcome"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

Many jobs pay 13 months of wages, with the 13th wage paid half and half in May and November as vacation and Christmas money.

I, too, like to listen to my parents tell fairy tales from the ancient past

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm from the Netherlands and vacation pay is mandatory I think and a 13th month customary so I get 2 months of extra pay effectively.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Torrannor posted:

I'm praying that Elon comes through for once, and blocks Twitter in the EU like he threatened to do.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

I, too, like to listen to my parents tell fairy tales from the ancient past
Roughly half of all jobs pay regular Weihnachts- and Urlaubsgeld in some form.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
What will the fiction writers think of next? Overtime having to be paid out at a higher hourly rate or even to be paid out at all?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Randler posted:

What will the fiction writers think of next? Overtime having to be paid out at a higher hourly rate or even to be paid out at all?

I think Overtime has such a negative connotation. Like you'd somehow work to much. Let's call it loyalty time!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Oh, I have heard stories about this one, too. Too bad it's not real

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Y‘all need some neue Welt der Arbeit mindset

https://youtu.be/T_Pce6_Ja6I

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I earn more now than my parents do at the end of their careers, but they will always be wealthier than me because they bought property when a part-time job was enough to buy half a house…

Also, I get a 13th, but I'm TV-L, so…

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Went to the DHL Packstation to pick up an Amazon delivery today.
After opening the cubbie I can see that the packaging has been ripped open and a 2TB SSD was stolen. A €10 external SSD enclosure was left inside the carton envelope.

What the gently caress? How does that even happen?

I assume DHL would not accept or keep transporting a shipment that very clearly has been opened. As the delivery guy who is stocking the station, I would not put an opened package inside, as that would clearly fall back onto me.

If the delivery guy took it, well congrats, you're the dumbest thief there ever was.
Unless it was a long con and he just took everything remotely valuable from his Friday/Saturday route from the truck and fled.

Luckily Amazon doesn't care and offered a full refund.
I am interested what the DHL hotline has to say tomorrow.
Fully expecting them to accuse me of fraud, since "our system is tamper proof", because otherwise :rubby:

I took a picture of the opened envelope in front of the Packstation, but that is hardly evidence, even if the timestamp from the image is probably just 10-15 seconds after the station logged the open hatch.

Always take video evidence when opening your Packstation cubbie, folks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That really is super weird. The only option aside from dumbest DHL employee alive I can see would be the system loving up and accidentally opening an occupied locker when somebody tried to send something, who then decided to seize that opportunity. But even then it should be trivial to figure out what happened with the access timestamps and (presumably) video recording.

Speaking of, I kinda wish the Packstation had something like the amazon lockers where slots are reserved ahead of time at the moment something is sent (or alternatively tells you it's not available). The area I recently moved to only has a couple of super busy Packstations, so sending anything to them has better-than-even odds it'll just get rerouted to some office in bumfuck nowhere anyway.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've had an open package in Packstation too, but there was nothing valuable inside so they didn't take anything. It happens. End of the day it's Aussage gegen Aussage who opened the package. Consumers do try to defraud onlinehändlers a lot too, so I assume DHL gives some leeway to Zusteller when accusations like these are made. Opening a couple packages per year is probably not gonna cost them the job.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Maybe there's a way to open Packstation doors without damaging them. There shouldn't be more than some kind of electromagnetically activated bolt.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Libluini posted:

To quote my Arbeitgeber, "your Weihnachtsgeld is already einberechnet in your regular Gehalt, you're welcome"

Yeah, pretty much my experience when I started my current job:

:geno: "So we're agreed on your annual salary. Do you want Weihnachtsgeld?"
:v: "If you are asking like that, sure!"
:geno: "Okay, we will split your Gehalt into 13 payments."
:v: "Lol, nevermind then!"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Sure I get weihnachtsgeld. I wein nach mein geld when I have to pay rent!!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Perestroika posted:

The only option aside from dumbest DHL employee alive I can see would be the system loving up and accidentally opening an occupied locker when somebody tried to send something, who then decided to seize that opportunity.

But then they would just take the whole envelope, not open it up, scan the content for something valuable, examine and dismiss the other €10 item and put the shipment pack in, wouldn't they? That would only make sense if you're the Zusteller and are pulling the big packstation heist of '23, not wanting to bog you down with unsellable trash.

So weird.

Ah well, need to turn the package in at the nearest Postfiliale for investigation.

As I already assumed, they are probably checking the delivery chain for weight discrepancies to zero in on where the item was taken and from the sound of the support rep, they also have timestamps for every time the hatch has been opened, so this should get cleared up one way or the other.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Criminals are a cowardly, supersticious lot. Also kind of dumb, especially thieves.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
What about their skull shape?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I honestly had always assumed that the packstationen already have cameras.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

webcams for christ posted:

useless German leftists having a struggle session about whether using the phrase "open air prison" is too mean to Israel. the level of ideological discipline is unreal

alright, didn't plan to vote Linke anyways but this sucks

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

I honestly had always assumed that the packstationen already have cameras.

In Germany? The country where the police can't even film license plates 24/7 to fine Al! speeders because privacy?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hopper posted:

In Germany? The country where the police can't even film license plates 24/7 to fine Al! speeders because privacy?
Not even just for speeders. I can never forget the "Autotransporter-Fall" where a truck driver fired over 700 shots at other drivers over a time frame of five years. They only caught him after they put up an entirely separate network of license plate readers, as the data from the normal license plate readers for truck tolls wasn't allowed to be accessed.

Quoting from Wikipedia (translated via Deepl):

quote:

Investigations

In most cases, the truck drivers did not discover the bullet impacts until they reached their destination, so that the exact scene of the crime was not known. The ballistic evaluation of the shots indicated that they were fired from an elevated position in moving traffic. They were mostly fired into oncoming traffic, but also at vehicles traveling in the same direction as the perpetrator vehicle. Early on, police suspected a long-haul truck driver as the perpetrator. To obtain clues about the perpetrator's profile, they conducted an operational case analysis.

In 2009, the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), as part of its central office function, determined that the series of crimes was a new supraregional crime phenomenon. The public prosecutors' offices in Koblenz and Würzburg commissioned the BKA to investigate. Because of the nationwide significance, the BKA set up the "AG Transporter". In 2012, it was transferred to the "BAO Transporter," which included 90 officers from the BKA and the states of Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate. In 2009, the public was informed and asked for assistance. In 2011, a broader public manhunt began, including wanted posters and the presentation of the case on the television program Aktenzeichen XY. The authorities initially offered a reward of 27,000 euros for information, which was later increased to 100,000 euros. 450 tips were received from the public.

For data protection reasons, the police were not allowed to evaluate the data collected by Toll Collect for the truck toll. That's why the BKA's Mobile Einsatzkommando set up undercover license plate readers at seven highway sections starting in 2012. After each new hit, the registered license plates were compared with each other. Based on cross-matches with radio cell intercepts, the investigation was narrowed down to the perpetrator's truck in April 2013. On June 23, 2013, he was arrested at his residence after previous surveillance. He led investigators to the hiding place of the weapons in a hedge on his property. There were three pistols, a shooting pen and 1300 rounds of ammunition.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
amateurs, what you do instead is use the illegal data and parallel construct a legal way you got them, much cheaper and faster

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Grüne feministische Außenpolitik is when implicit consent for Genocide isn't enough, you have to be explicitly pro-Genocide!

[b]https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/israel-gaza-deutschland-waffenruhe-100.html

Well at least I will never have to think about voting for any of these clowns anymore, I'll be voting "sonstige" from now on I guess

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 23, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes, great, increase the AfD share of the vote by voting for a party that won't get into the Bundes/Landtag, great plan. Congratulations!

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Yes, great, increase the AfD share of the vote by voting for a party that won't get into the Bundes/Landtag, great plan. Congratulations!

Well, you do you, but I draw the line at actively and enthusiastically supporting genocide when deciding whom to give my vote.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Thanks to certain recent events, there are already reports of Jews getting threatened openly, like randos just walking up to someone they think looks Jewish and then unloading on them.

Take this into account, and you slowly begin to fear that's exactly what the OP wants.

Humans are fuckers.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Libluini posted:

Thanks to certain recent events, there are already reports of Jews getting threatened openly, like randos just walking up to someone they think looks Jewish and then unloading on them.

Take this into account, and you slowly begin to fear that's exactly what the OP wants.

Humans are fuckers.

oh gently caress off with this bullshit please, just gently caress all the way off

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another speculative poll, this time including Bündnis Sarah Wagenknecht (lmao):

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1716466137276334133

Oh look, it's primarily attracting the nazis. What a surprise.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't follow german politics that closely, what the fick is Union?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
I love that Baerbock went to talk to a vile, murderous, fascist government and her take was "they say they wont forget their humanity so everything's fine". this demon cracker nation is rotten to the core

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I don't follow german politics that closely, what the fick is Union?

CDU+CSU, who are two different parties but act like they're one whenever it's convenient for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Christian Democratic Union (CDU) plus Christian Social Union (CSU).