Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

but like, isn't it retro?

it's close to 20 years old

It's old, not retro. A PT Cruiser was retro when new. Now, of course, it's just old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mon dieu

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe it's a German guide for the French?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sally posted:

surely the 2020s should be "Contemporary"
I'm okay with that. I based it on Forza car classifications and originally it was about programming. Post-Y2K/dot com bust and post-cryptocurrency were the original closing categories.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

FFT posted:

up to 1970: ancient
1970 - 1980: vintage
1980 - 1990: classic
1990 - 2000: retro
2000 - 2010: early modern
2010 - now: modern

This is completely subjective

E: and also arbitrary

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

caspergers posted:

This is completely subjective

E: and also arbitrary

I went to school for Video Game History and those are the textbook definitions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

I went to school for Video Game History and those are the textbook definitions

the textbook was written by Geoff Keighley and is sponsored by Doritos

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

When you're talking about collectibles, "vintage" is anything older then 20 years.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Byzantine posted:

When you're talking about collectibles, "vintage" is anything older then 20 years.

When you're talking about wrestling, "vintage" is anything The Undertaker does.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Postage stamps are collectible, and any less than 100 years old are "current".

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In the libertarian dating scene anything older than 16 is too old.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Postage stamps are collectible, and any less than 100 years old are "current".

I regret to inform you that collectible stamp prices are cratering and soon the entire endeavor will be lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Borscht posted:

I regret to inform you that collectible stamp prices are cratering and soon the entire endeavor will be lost.

Collectible stamps have never been worth anything, or collectible.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i grew up in ohio and they only had one big state run grocery called Food and it was the only place to get “sundries”. i didnt think it was strange at the time that everything had black packaging with white impact labeling until i was smuggled out past the border guards into the indiana territory and saw brands at a walmart. i discuss this often in my ohio survivors group therapy sessions

My uncle was executed for smuggling in some genuine Pepsi Cola from the Detroit settlement.

It wasn’t very good, I didn’t finish my can. RIP Larry

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Breetai posted:

It's amazing how all of those games are ubiquitous but only one isn't bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sally posted:

surely the 2020s should be "Contemporary"

Naw, video games use radio station time frames. There's the 80s, the 90s and Now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Naw, video games use radio station time frames. There's the 80s, the 90s and Now.

What the gently caress is a radio station

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lobsterminator posted:

In the libertarian dating scene anything older than 16 is too old.

I believe the term is "grannies"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

The towers you gotta climb to reveal the map in Ubisoft games

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now That's What I Call Gaming - Best of the '00s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I still remember the rapturous reviews for Alone in the Dark (1992). The graphics are so realistic, how can anything ever be better than this?

Estatica was released a couple years later but has always been the more hilarious early 3D game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4&t=101s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

Estatica was released a couple years later but has always been the more hilarious early 3D game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4&t=101s

They're, uh, really showcasing being able to render spheres on the protagonist, huh?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way the rear end-sphere puffs up before performing very weak attacks reminds me of a frog's defense in nature

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jiggle physics on boos vs boobs, who will won!?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grassy Knowles posted:

Imagine a podcast, but you can’t decide what you listen to.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Piggly wiggly was the first modern grocery store. The idea that the customer walks in browses aisles, picks up items in a cart or basket, then goes to a checkout…

That’s piggly wiggly. Before piggly wiggly you hand a clerk your list and they got the items for you.

Now I hand them that list online and a gig economy driver brings them to my house. Time is a flat circle.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ico was released September 2001. makes you think

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

According to the british government a "classic" car is 40 years old and subject to less stringent mot standards. This means now cars made in 1993 are apparantly classic. In 8 years a car made during 9/11 will be a classic. Kinda terrifying.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Drone_Fragger posted:

According to the british government a "classic" car is 40 years old and subject to less stringent mot standards. This means now cars made in 1993 are apparantly classic. In 8 years a car made during 9/11 will be a classic. Kinda terrifying.

Do you believe that 1993 was 40 years ago? Or perhaps more intuitively that in 2031, it will be 40 years since 2001?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yes exactly.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Crazy to think that next year it'll have been eleven years since this year

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

boofhead posted:

That’s just how time works.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

boofhead posted:

Goddamn inflation. Back then we had years that lasted for years!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My ability to process the passage of time broke in March 2020 and hasn't fixed itself yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I empathize, but you really should work on that, a decade is too long to be messed on time like that

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dud you know that the Titan sub disaster that happened a few years ago actually happened 4 months ago?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pookah posted:

Dud you know that the Titan sub disaster that happened a few years ago actually happened 4 months ago?

a classic

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Time is a flat circle that's all wibblywobbly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What is M2