Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They really need to fix the online loading times. I'm glad they moved to February though, December would've been insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Real glad I don't have any friends so my performance is fine except for having to bypass the login screen.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ghostlight posted:

Real glad I don't have any friends so my performance is fine except for having to bypass the login screen.

Same. It is annoying I keep having to wait forever for new features so people who aren’t misanthropes can share the toy with their friends.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

December release would've been suicide, really glad they pushed it back. Looking forward to Falconer

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
It's funny how differently people play these games. Monster clicking games are a zone out activity for me and I never play multiplayer. Like sorry bro I'm gonna idle for 10min while I pack a bowl and agonize over low-level loot.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rufio posted:

It's funny how differently people play these games. Monster clicking games are a zone out activity for me and I never play multiplayer. Like sorry bro I'm gonna idle for 10min while I pack a bowl and agonize over low-level loot.

Hey me how you doin

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have the worst kind of brain worms where I like to play online AND not interact with anyone

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

For some reason my dumbass wants the chat room but I also want to play alone and at my own pace.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I guess it's basically that I like having the option

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looking forward to trying this again when it releases, I played a good bit with a friend back after they added MP and I don't really recall having any major issues along the way but we stopped before getting too far into the endgame so maybe we just lucked out. Hopefully their poo poo works at launch because yeah if not that'll be a big problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm playing the new D4 season and man I wish I could have exactly LE's skill, crafting, and itemization systems in this engine

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

I'm playing the new D4 season and man I wish I could have exactly LE's skill, crafting, and itemization systems in this engine

I am not playing D4's new season but I thought about this the whole time I was playing D4 after launch.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

zoux posted:

you forgot the loot filter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically everything yeah, except combat, art design, and like, general competency. Blizzard fucks poo poo up a lot but even so it's not nearly as janky as LE

LE nails that sweet spot inbetween d4 and PoE, I don't know how big that niche is but it's where I get the most challenge without feeling lost. I'm glad they pushed the release back and now that they've broken the seal on a "this calendar year" release, maybe they'll be more willing to push it back if they need to in the future. Maybe they can deliver a pretty much complete and optimized game in February, but I'd probably take the under.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 21, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, Blizzard production values + LE's game design would be killer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What even is the issue with MP? Is it a design thing or technical?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure what you mean by "design thing".

The technical design is bad :v: You click on the "link" to load into a new zone and there's always like a 5 second delay before actually hitting the loading screen. Just feels mega clunkybad

Anno
May 10, 2017

Sab669 posted:

Not sure what you mean by "design thing".

The technical design is bad :v: You click on the "link" to load into a new zone and there's always like a 5 second delay before actually hitting the loading screen. Just feels mega clunkybad

I meant like "there are bad game design decisions that make it really hard to party up and play together" or "it just doesn't work because lag/disconnects/bugs/whatever". Sounds like the latter?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Biggest thing is loading times when it tries to transfer you to a different server. It's like 5s to 15s if you're online solo but in a group it can go up to 45s or more. This is the #1 thing they've said they're working on atm.

Random disconnects that require you log back in, get invited to party, and teleport back. Very annoying when it's happening over and over again.

Zones won't always load properly if you walk or click into them, you can go somewhere and have it just be a black void. You can work around this by only using teleport to party member, but that's only really effective in monoliths.

Joining a party in dungeons can teleport you into a wall and doors will put you in the wrong place.

There was a bug where your character spawned as two different copies and your camera followed one copy and inputs controlled the other copy, which was basically a soft lock, but it might be fixed with the most recent patch.

De-sync and rubberbanding are the areas where I think they've made biggest improvement, but still aren't totally solved.

Lunge, the main movement skill on sentinel, stops working if your party member kills the target you lunge to before you get there. Movement skills run into more problems than others in general.

Projectiles can get blocked by allied players and minions so if you want to be a bow guy and your friend is a skeleton army guy, good luck. Also they changed some stuff with auto-aim recently and now some skills are passing through enemies and hitting them from the other side and there are more zone geometry things that can block projectiles.

There is small but noticeable input lag for all abilities in online play compared to offline. It's hard to notice if you never played offline, but some skills like rogue shift feel sluggish.

Offline has had tons of bugs too since multiplayer launch, which it rarely experienced beforehand. Quests that don't work and block progress, character getting lost, infinite loading screens in dungeons. The most playable mode has been online solo, where the game mostly works and you just deal with slower loading screens in the campaign and dungeons due to the server transfer thing.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jack Trades posted:

Where's "making multiplayer playable" on that roadmap?

All the issues mentioned I've seen mentioned in this thread are in the big roadmap post linked at the bottom of the announcement post

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/unofficial-roadmap-to-1-0-and-beyond/60203

Admittedly that says 1.0 and Beyond, so let's hope that fixing the performance issues related to spinning up new server instances isn't relegated to Beyond

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That roadmap is pretty disappointing, with how many things are still just nebulously somewhere beyond 1.0. Like, it feels pretty ballsy to call it that when they're leaving out a quarter of the campaign, not finishing all the very obviously half-implemented skills, and not adding anything significant in the way of endgame features. The game's still going to be unfinished and there's not going to be any major content/feature leap, so it feels much more in line with just another 0.x update.

I don't get the impression EHG are going to do the full rug pull, but it does strike me as either just an admission that they've promised far more than they can deliver in the foreseeable future, or that they're working to executive/financial timetables rather than game design ones, and neither of those are possibilities that fill me with hope.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Deformed Church posted:

That roadmap is pretty disappointing, with how many things are still just nebulously somewhere beyond 1.0. Like, it feels pretty ballsy to call it that when they're leaving out a quarter of the campaign, not finishing all the very obviously half-implemented skills, and not adding anything significant in the way of endgame features. The game's still going to be unfinished and there's not going to be any major content/feature leap, so it feels much more in line with just another 0.x update.

I don't get the impression EHG are going to do the full rug pull, but it does strike me as either just an admission that they've promised far more than they can deliver in the foreseeable future, or that they're working to executive/financial timetables rather than game design ones, and neither of those are possibilities that fill me with hope.

Yeah, it feels like they really were not prepared for multiplayer in spite of how much time they took to implement it. I mean, I hope they can pull it together and that multiplayer eventually brings in the cash that lets them make the game more interesting for people who don’t play with friends, but with how much they seem to be struggling with development since they began the implementation in earnest, I’m not filled with confidence in the game’s future, however much I like it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

Yea, I'm skeptical of any dev timeline that's looking 3-4 months out.

I mean I suppose they've been making the game long enough to have a pretty good idea how long a Subclass will take, but it seems very prone to delays.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
warlock when

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Magitek posted:

warlock when

They literally say when.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Maybe I’m just easy to please but I think the game will launch with sufficient content for a new one of these games. I don’t expect anything (even PoE2) to launch with the current PoE endgame or anything. I don’t even know that I’d want it to - developing that stuff over a long period of live production with lots of player feedback probably leads to the best results, so may as well mark it 1.0 if the play experience will be good and get to it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Deformed Church posted:

That roadmap is pretty disappointing, with how many things are still just nebulously somewhere beyond 1.0. Like, it feels pretty ballsy to call it that when they're leaving out a quarter of the campaign, not finishing all the very obviously half-implemented skills, and not adding anything significant in the way of endgame features.

They call this the Diablo 4 Plan

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Anno posted:

Maybe I’m just easy to please but I think the game will launch with sufficient content for a new one of these games. I don’t expect anything (even PoE2) to launch with the current PoE endgame or anything. I don’t even know that I’d want it to - developing that stuff over a long period of live production with lots of player feedback probably leads to the best results, so may as well mark it 1.0 if the play experience will be good and get to it.

I don't think many people would argue that LE isn't fundamentally a fun ARPG to play, with some very interesting ideas that other games could benefit by cribbing. I'm certainly not. Purely on paper, yeah there's at least as much content as, like, Torchlight 2 or the Van Helsing games or pick your other indie (i.e. not PoE or Diablo) ARPG had at "1.0" stage. In context though, this doesn't look great for the long term development of the game.

A new player is just going to reach the end of chapter 9, or pick an obviously unfinished skill, and go "am I missing something or is the game missing something" and that's excusable when the game says early access next to the buy button, but a pretty big red flag in a game that's presented as being complete on a basic level.

An experience player is going to play for a bit and go "okay, cool, so what's new" and find out the answer is "very little". I keep doing this when announcements and patch notes come out, like maybe this'll be the one, but it's always just "we've redone some weapon art" and "we've added a new enemy to the hordes of interchangeable monsters". Unless you're specifically interested in one of the new sub classes, there's nothing new to try out.

All this is against a background of EHG having spent the past several years delaying, scaling back or cancelling things they've proposed, while being focussed on a seemingly all consuming multiplayer system they can't get right while the content team is mostly just tweaking stuff and adding little bits of polish rather than any real substance.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They just added a new class and 1.0 is adding two more

e: nm, you mentioned that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I kind of assume that 1.0 implies they are going to finish the main story at least.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Clarste posted:

I kind of assume that 1.0 implies they are going to finish the main story at least.

It's in the "flex" section of things they hope to get in 1.0 but aren't guaranteed. I agree that this, in particular, is going to be a bad look

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The main campaign should not be a stretch goal for 1.0.

It felt like they went into quasi-radio silence after the multiplayer release so I figured they were running into production issues and looking at having to release just to keep the lights on. I hope they turn it around.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Clarste posted:

It's unofficial but here's a rough roadmap someone on the LE forums pulled together from dev comments, interviews, streams, etc. It's pretty much all sourced as well so you can see exactly how they've reached their conclusions.

Chapters 10-12 are definitely in the post-release stage, no particular hint of how far post release either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the advantage to 1.0 vs just staying in EA?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hm, yes, that sounds very bad.

zoux posted:

Presumably a lot of people don't buy EA and they need money to keep the lights on. They can't keep delaying it forever even if they wanted to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

Probably another injection of money from sales to people who were waiting for full release

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The trick is to do what D4 did and finish your final act, leaving the obviously half-arsed stuff in the middle. As long as "Chapter 10" and "Chapter 11" pop up on the screen just after you fight a boss, most people won't notice. Especially if at that point you're just thinking let me kill the main bad guy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tarnop posted:

The trick is to do what D4 did and finish your final act, leaving the obviously half-arsed stuff in the middle. As long as "Chapter 10" and "Chapter 11" pop up on the screen just after you fight a boss, most people won't notice. Especially if at that point you're just thinking let me kill the main bad guy

They’ll patch Diablo in eventually

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sab669 posted:

I have the worst kind of brain worms where I like to play online AND not interact with anyone

I feel seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Team "it's nice to have the option", unite and....maybe trade an item sometime but otherwise never interact with each other