Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Doltos posted:

Stanislavsky can be synonymous with method acting which Toni Collete is against but trying that hard to cry comes across as emoting.

Talking down to someone because you went to theater school like they don't know what an acting technique is the biggest fart huffing post I've seen in a while.

Lol it isn't "talking down" for someone with an actual education on a subject to tell you that you're using words inaccurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

What's annoying is that I think Doltos is near to a reasonable point. Porbably the major thing I don't like about Hereditary and Misommar is how they try to steamroller you with grief. The very emotive performances are certainly a part of that thing which I didn't like, but that doesn't mean they're in any way bad performances.

You can certainly criticize Ari Aster's films for taking that approach--not everyone has to like it--but to think it's not a deliberate stylistic approach or to say something insane like "emoting is undesirable in acting" is a braindead combination of lazy trolling and genuine media illiteracy. And it's disingenuous to begin your criticism by saying it's the hallmark of an amateur actor and take potshots at community theater, then roll your eyes and make fun of someone with actual experience in how acting is taught and how local theaters are run for engaging with you on the terms you yourself set for the discussion.

EDIT: Was typing this up and missed the reply above, but, yes, seconding Zamboni.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Overacting is superior to underacting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crescent Wrench posted:

You can certainly criticize Ari Aster's films for taking that approach--not everyone has to like it--but to think it's not a deliberate stylistic approach or to say something insane like "emoting is undesirable in acting" is a braindead combination of lazy trolling and genuine media illiteracy. And it's disingenuous to begin your criticism by saying it's the hallmark of an amateur actor and take potshots at community theater, then roll your eyes and make fun of someone with actual experience in how acting is taught and how local theaters are run for engaging with you on the terms you yourself set for the discussion.

EDIT: Was typing this up and missed the reply above, but, yes, seconding Zamboni.

oh yeah I absolutely agree.

It's especially annoying for me, as an Aster-hater, that Doltos is the most vocal Aster-hater in the thread because his criticisms are so weak. He's like a strawman of Aster-haters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t actually love Aster’s work. I just hate disingenuous criticism.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

oh yeah I absolutely agree.

It's especially annoying for me, as an Aster-hater, that Doltos is the most vocal Aster-hater in the thread because his criticisms are so weak. He's like a strawman of Aster-haters.

You're looking at this all wrong, this is like keeping an awkward loser in your friend group so you look cooler by comparison.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Sometimes heightened acting that we might think of as over-the-top in another context makes for the most memorable horror.

The characters are in unimaginably awful situations, and when their expressions of emotion feel uncomfortable, strange, grotesque, and offputting, distinct from ordinary 'dramatic' grief, that can take us as an audience to interesting, transgressive places of discomfort - we don't know whether to empathise with them, feel terror at them, or laugh at them.

When Donald Sutherland's kid dies at the start of Don't Look Now, he doesn't cry or scream in a dignified way; he howls, makes incomprehensible animal pants and gasps, falls over in the mud, howls again - it's tragic, but it's also uncomfortably close to slapstick.

Piper Laurie in Carrie is literally playing Carrie's mother for comedy, and I don't enjoy her performance so much at the start of the movie, but by the climax I think it becomes something extraordinary and terrifying - that shining-eyed, smiling sincerity as she advances upon her daughter, and the bizarre, semi-sexual satisfaction in her dying cries that go on for far too long.

Sally in TCM devolves into an extended hysteria that's essentially animalistic, and it makes for an astonishing, traumatic final sequence.

More recently, I guess, the credits of Pearl - we could call that overacting, because it's so grotesque and exaggerated and it goes on for far longer than we'd expect, but that'd be missing the point.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 22, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

grobbo posted:

Sometimes heightened acting that we might think of as over-the-top in another context makes for the most memorable horror.

The characters are in unimaginably awful situations, and when their expressions of emotion feel uncomfortable, strange and offputting, distinct from ordinary 'dramatic' grief, that can take us as an audience to interesting places of discomfort - we don't know whether to empathise with them, feel terror at them, or laugh at them.

When Donald Sutherland's kid dies at the start of Don't Look Now, he doesn't cry or scream; he howls, makes incomprehensible animal pants and gasps, falls over in the mud, howls again - it's tragic, but it's also uncomfortably close to slapstick.

Piper Laurie in Carrie is literally playing Carrie's mother for comedy, and I don't enjoy her performance so much at the start of the movie, but by the climax I think it becomes something extraordinary and terrifying - that shining-eyed, smiling sincerity as she advances upon her daughter, and the bizarre, semi-sexual satisfaction in her dying cries that go on for far too long.

More recently, I guess, the credits of Pearl - we could call that overacting, because it's so grotesque and exaggerated and it goes on for far longer than we'd expect, but that'd be missing the point.

As in many things, who can top Bong Joon-ho in this matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7dPXjZJC0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A much better criticism is that lungs do not look like that or work like that. It’s like if a serious horror movie had a scene where a guy gets his heart ripped out and it’s just a straight up cartoon heart.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
While reading through all of the best scream suggestions, I'm realizing that I'm a particular sucker for initially quiet speeches that suddenly crank the volume up to 11.

Come on down, Meg Tilly from Body Snatchers!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2gIdLgwz4

My favorite, though, might be this whiplash-inducing moment from Minority Report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzXvAxp-X5Q. I mean, Jesus.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doltos posted:

What makes a dating prospect wiki-worthy btw I keep reading that sentence and it doesn't make sense

my mistake, it's a term I guess isn't widespread - it means they have their own personal wikipedia page that hasn't been removed because wiki editors have deemed it self serving and not worthy of wikipedia's inclusion.

in her case, funnily enough: she's a movie director of some repute.

EDIT: also re: judging people on their art tastes, I was a bit absolute in my original post - there are limits to what someone is into before I draw the line, but an iconic beacon of a mainstream genre doesn't even approach those limits.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Flying Zamboni posted:

Lol it isn't "talking down" for someone with an actual education on a subject to tell you that you're using words inaccurately.

Crescent Wrench posted:

There is some insane gatekeeping in this thread if you don't like something.

That person called me two names because they disliked my take on acting and I'm supposed to think they're not talking down to me? What they described is literally theater arts 101 and an incorrect assumption of what I'm talking about. Emoting doesn't necessarily equal Stanislavsky technique nor did I ever mention her method acting. I don't know how else I'm supposed to interpret that.

Emoting is undesirable in acting. What world do we live in where it's lazy trolling and media illiteracy to say that someone cried too hard and put stupid faces on their face? It's a legitimate complaint. It's not a complaint that you agree with, but it's legitimate. It's a hallmark of amateur acting to tell instead of showing with your body language. I refuse to believe it's not. I don't know what community theaters you've visited, or the sanctity of them, but holy crap are they filled with Toni Collete level actresses that throw their whole body into a performance until the 5 people in the audience awkwardly clap. I'm going to bag on it, I probably know as much about acting as the theater arts reject, and this is some serious bullshit that people are allowed to talk to me like this because I don't like a way people act.

Get over yourselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Doltos posted:

Get over yourselves.

Physician heal thy monitor’s powerless state.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You're not wrong but man is it frustrating to say "I didn't like that" and get hit by 5 gatekeeping takes

Doltos fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gatekeeping is when people don't agree acting should be understated.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"Playing in the key of F is amateurish and the stuff of open mic nights and anyone who tells me otherwise is a gatekeeping Julliard-tard."

loving lol.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The human brain has a remarkable power to delude itself that it is somehow “in on the joke.” Daltos rolled in assuming he’d be a part of the crowd or, failing that, would impress the in-group by being as loud and edgy as possible in a way that kind of makes sense to an adolescent.

Now that that has failed, he can only react by painting himself as a villain, dangerous, someone we hated all along for fighting for a cause, meaning anything. But the truth is, of course, that he just gets laughed at. Screenshotted, shared in mod chats and offsite discords, some rando who is entirely strung along for the joke of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos you are not coming off well in this exchange.

Edit: Mover that was also a weird post.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 22, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the horror is coming from inside the thread

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I'm willing to drop this if it stops posts like that

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mover posted:

The human brain has a remarkable power to delude itself that it is somehow “in on the joke.” Daltos rolled in assuming he’d be a part of the crowd or, failing that, would impress the in-group by being as loud and edgy as possible in a way that kind of makes sense to an adolescent.

Now that that has failed, he can only react by painting himself as a villain, dangerous, someone we hated all along for fighting for a cause, meaning anything. But the truth is, of course, that he just gets laughed at. Screenshotted, shared in mod chats and offsite discords, some rando who is entirely strung along for the joke of it.

:chloe:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heather Langenkamp in Wes Craven’s New Nightmare is one of the greatest screen performances of all time

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wish they'd make more Pumpkinhead movies. There was supposed to be a remake coming along but there hasn't been any news on it for quite a while

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Pumpkinhead$

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, be careful what you wish for

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Pumpkinhead had a poster with a pumpkin on it and it tricked me into thinking that the guy was going to have a pumpkin for a head when I rented it at blockbuster

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the gently caress. Lol. Just drop that whole conversation.

Hrmm you know I haven't seen Pumpkinhead in a long time. I'mma watch it today.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's been a while since it was mentioned in this thread, but I watched Knife + Heart after remembering its praise here. It was excellent, and it was a lot of fun humming "Be my baby" when I realized who played the main character.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Heather Langenkamp in Wes Craven’s New Nightmare is one of the greatest screen performances of all time

The scene with the daytime talk show and Robert Englund's surprise appearance is masterful facial acting. There's a lot to like about New Nightmare for sure.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eyes of Laura Mars and Out of the Dark make for a heck of a double feature.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched Lords of Salem and it's so weird seeing Rob Zombie try to make a fairly normal movie by his standards, then he seems to have slipped the reins in the last 5 minutes and Rob Zombied all over it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grendels Dad posted:

It's been a while since it was mentioned in this thread, but I watched Knife + Heart after remembering its praise here. It was excellent, and it was a lot of fun humming "Be my baby" when I realized who played the main character.

It was really intense. I watched it on this threads recommendation and didn't like it at first but keep thinking about it.

Those rape/sexual assault scenes with dildos are always so hosed up. It's like they looked at Se7en and thought how can we make this worse?

Doltos fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 22, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I watched Lords of Salem and it's so weird seeing Rob Zombie try to make a fairly normal movie by his standards, then he seems to have slipped the reins in the last 5 minutes and Rob Zombied all over it.

What really shocked me was how it felt like he predicted and at times even parodied where modern horror would go, except he did it before any of those modern horror movies were even made. I also liked how much Rob Zombie-isms bled through in the best way with evil records and incredible neon sign imagery, and the dialogue of the coven. It's one of my favorite surprises from this challenge.

I was thinking about how if it had a popular distribution logo to start off or if someone who likes artsy horror watched it with no preconceived notions they'd probably come out of it really enjoying it. It should go in the Criterion Collection. That'd be fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

I got it not knowing it was French and was pretty upset when I found out but powered through anyway and ended up liking it a lot

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

What really shocked me was how it felt like he predicted and at times even parodied where modern horror would go, except he did it before any of those modern horror movies were even made. I also liked how much Rob Zombie-isms bled through in the best way with evil records and incredible neon sign imagery, and the dialogue of the coven. It's one of my favorite surprises from this challenge.

I was thinking about how if it had a popular distribution logo to start off or if someone who likes artsy horror watched it with no preconceived notions they'd probably come out of it really enjoying it. It should go in the Criterion Collection. That'd be fun.

Yeah, it's a bit of a cliche to say, but if you slapped the A24 ident before it, that'd do a surprising amount of heavy lifting to legitimize it.

So what I'm saying is: A24, give Bobby Z enough money to make a movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the horror is coming from inside the thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She's my favorite final girl of all time

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nancy rules and I love every "let's make an over elaborate plan to defeat Freddy" scene in all of the movies, even the less good ones (I cannot say bad ones)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lords of Salem kicked surprising rear end and that song is spooky as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wish they'd make more Pumpkinhead movies. There was supposed to be a remake coming along but there hasn't been any news on it for quite a while

Dark Harvest feels in a lot of ways like an off-brand Pumpkinhead spin-off, and it is pretty good at that