Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Company towns except instead of a bunkhouse it's just a parking lot

they are well ahead of you with camperforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm finally getting a 4K TV this week. I got my current one in 2015 and it still works, I'll just move it to my bedroom and probably never use it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's funny how the annual iPhone release has gone from a massive hype event to something that barely registers on peoples' radars. I wonder how much of it has to do with the increments being less and less noticeable

I went to replace my iPhone XR (not by choice, the logic board gave out) and I've never been so undersold at a company store before. like 4 different people working there said that the 14 straight up wasn't worth it, and that I should just get the 13 instead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Something I've really appreciated about this discussion is, no one is acting like these individual consumptive choices are helping anyone, we're all just going "yeah I don't personally see the point anymore" which is totally fair.

Where it gets a little strange for me is when people get morally up in arms over people who do buy newer technology. I have a couple of friends like that, the people who derive some sense of moral superiority by using old stuff. It's completely meaningless; the world is being strip mined regardless and nothing will change. It's the most futile moral stance of all time.
that's right. it's mostly just to save some bucks (cuz everything is too expensive) + doing it for funsies as a hobby. who cares about environment or w/e, that's done for anyways. but saving a few bucks so i can buy a spicy fried chicken sando is a+

i'm probably about 80/20 overall on 'buy new prime shipping replacement + chuck the other one in a landfill' versus 'repair and fix up' anyways. doodad electronic treats are just so cheap that it's often not worth 1-4 hours of labor to fix something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's funny how the annual iPhone release has gone from a massive hype event to something that barely registers on peoples' radars. I wonder how much of it has to do with the increments being less and less noticeable

I went to replace my iPhone XR (not by choice, the logic board gave out) and I've never been so undersold at a company store before. like 4 different people working there said that the 14 straight up wasn't worth it, and that I should just get the 13 instead

We've reached technology maturation on a lot of stuff that was driving the 90s through 10s and there's not really anything on the horizon. VR is a gimmick on par with 3D TV. AR might work but I don't think anyone will bother. AI is the only shot for a comparable technological leap to what we grew up with -- and it's currently being squandered on nonstop barrages of slop.

Between that and staring down the barrel of a brutal recession I think we're in for at least a couple decades of technological stagnation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

she makes 5x 100% of the federal poverty guideline

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

scrolled down the thread and lol

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1715957910415499752

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

my mom complaining about landlords and rising rent prices, but because "the management companies that own everything don't recognize good tenants and aren't kind" lmao

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SKULL.GIF posted:

We've reached technology maturation on a lot of stuff that was driving the 90s through 10s and there's not really anything on the horizon. VR is a gimmick on par with 3D TV. AR might work but I don't think anyone will bother. AI is the only shot for a comparable technological leap to what we grew up with -- and it's currently being squandered on nonstop barrages of slop.

Between that and staring down the barrel of a brutal recession I think we're in for at least a couple decades of technological stagnation.

Just because personal computers and phones have stagnated doesn't mean that everything will, but I agree that we're heading towards tech that gets replaced when it breaks instead of because something better is available. I never had an 802.11a router, but g was a huge improvement over b, n was gigantic over g, and ac was likewise a big jump over n. Now there's wifi 7 routers hitting the market and I haven't even upgraded to 6/ax because ac is good enough.

One segment that's still improving is solar deployments, that's real and self sustaining at this point but it's going to have some really bizarre effects on the electricity market. We are heading towards power being dirt cheap when the sun is shining but more expensive than it currently is when the sun isn't.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

every day i pray

for boat stuck

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think this thread is seriously underestimating drones as a huge technological innovation. Their military application is hard to miss and a tidal wave of DoD money is going to start flowing into drone R&D and even without that the materials are only going to get cheaper and smaller. Sure they're just a miniaturization and recombination of existing technologies but so were smartphones.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

I think this thread is seriously underestimating drones as a huge technological innovation. Their military application is hard to miss and a tidal wave of DoD money is going to start flowing into drone R&D and even without that the materials are only going to get cheaper and smaller. Sure they're just a miniaturization and recombination of existing technologies but so were smartphones.

Is there any civilian benefit aside from small package delivery?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
being able to take aerial photography without chartering a plane or helicopter has been pretty cool, but not life improving in any tangible way no

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Save on gas money: sleep in your car at work

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Yes but what if the someone is the next Hitler?

Hitler 3?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

well for one thing my parents had a roof leak during a rainstorm a few weeks back and when the roofer showed up to assess the roof and do a quote he used a drone to look at the roof rather than actually go up there with a ladder themselves

its also not hard to imagine that you will be able to put some sort of manipulator on these flying drones, like you see on those walking dog drones, where they will be able to retrieve items or use simple tools

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The chance to very quickly convert your status to non-civilian in the eyes of governments that don't want even the potential of small packages delivered to them

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

she makes 5x 100% of the federal poverty guideline

The FPL guidelines are a joke & it's criminal that so many benefits, from ACA subsidies to SNAP, use them as a basis for eligibility.

The LAT also had a piece on people living out of their cars & this graf, from a woman living in an RV with 2 of her kids, was incredible:

quote:

Now I clean Airbnbs. The pay is good — about $20,000 a year — and I keep getting referrals, but I can’t go back to renting because I’d spend most of my money on rent and eventually I’d be back to where I was, with no money for food or bills. It would all go toward rent. Maybe I can buy a house one day. I don’t need a mansion. Until then, I have to stay here.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-10-21/los-angeles-homeless-rv-cars

Imagine even being able to find a rental in L.A. that costs "only" $20,000/year.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

loquacius posted:

The dealership was talking like it was scrap but that was probably a tactic

There were a billion things wrong with it that weren't the engine (the alternator had been replaced twice in the last year and kept loving up anyway, the A/C was broken and the local shop had quoted me like $350 at least to fix it, the trunk wouldn't close right unless you pushed really hard on the handle while closing it, there were multiple dents, the speaker system was crackly, the brake pads were EOL) but as is the nature of the Internet I was informed I should have just fixed all that myself

Harbor freight vacuum pump + manifold gauges + can tap + box of green O rings and two cans of R152 air duster are about as much as a single AC fill at a shop, and once you have those you can fix friends' cars and even refrigerators and air conditioners with some adapters. Trunk latches are usually a lubrication or alignment issue that I usually fix with lightly used motor oil or a 12mm socket, and speakers/brakes are cheap.

Buying a new car is a sin unless your current one is more rust than chassis and you should have given me the money you spent, I rate your post bourgeois/10

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thinking of writing a contemplative LinkedIn post about how, as I carefully destroy a decade's worth of expired bank, credit, and rewards cards, I am in a literal and metaphysical sense losing a part of myself, and my history.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Spaced God posted:

my mom complaining about landlords and rising rent prices, but because "the management companies that own everything don't recognize good tenants and aren't kind" lmao

It's true, though: Many smaller landlords don't want to deal with the hassle of unit turnarounds & won't raise the rents on good tenants as much as the companies that use market-rate algorithms.

I rented the third floor of a private home & got one rent increase over 13 years. My current rent has gone up less than 1 percent per year & I'm paying about 30 percent below market rate.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
what penance do I do for subletting part of my storage unit to a friend and becoming a l*ndlord

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bonelessdongs posted:

Harbor freight vacuum pump + manifold gauges + can tap + box of green O rings and two cans of R152 air duster are about as much as a single AC fill at a shop, and once you have those you can fix friends' cars and even refrigerators and air conditioners with some adapters. Trunk latches are usually a lubrication or alignment issue that I usually fix with lightly used motor oil or a 12mm socket, and speakers/brakes are cheap.

Buying a new car is a sin unless your current one is more rust than chassis and you should have given me the money you spent, I rate your post bourgeois/10

Nobody knows how to do car repair themselves, good for you if you can but it's nonsensical to expect any given person to apropos of nothing, touch grass

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

suppose it depends on if there's any worker class benefit from accelerationism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abqaiq%E2%80%93Khurais_attack

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

loquacius posted:

Nobody knows how to do car repair themselves, good for you if you can but it's nonsensical to expect any given person to apropos of nothing, touch grass

The only secret to car repair is typing "(problem and car year) forum" into google or youtube or finding a service manual
https://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/
You'll never doomsdayeconmaxx or network with people who's cars you repair with that attitude

bonelessdongs has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Oct 22, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

Buy all these tools for one specific kind of job in addition to ozone hole gas and hope you manage to get everything right the first time. Your training is youtube videos, Your shop is an apartment parking lot.

Maybe AC recharge is a bad example because you might have to do it once for the lifetime of a car, I've only had it done to mine once and that's because a valet crashed into a wall and damaged the condensor

loquacius posted:

Honda Fit

Honda nationalism is real which was part of the issue, but it was too small for our current needs (my wife thought it was too claustrophobic to put two carseats in). I replaced it with an HRV though (miraculously a used 2020 one fresh from somebody's 3-year lease came up at a decent price and we pounced)

Aww yee HRV. We got a 21 after our Nissan Versa did the Nissan thing and ate it's transmission.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Oct 22, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Since 1970, computer speed doubled every two years, but that's no longer the case. A home computer in 1985 had its speed measured in thousands of operations per second, and now it's billions of operations per second. Some graphics cards do a trillion. But the trend is slowing down, so we no longer have exponential growth in computer chips to drive constant growth in the tech sector.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gearhead posted:

Last I had heard, the issue was severe OVER reporting of births, this turned up in the most recent census efforts. China's population was supposed to peak this decade, it actually peaked last decade.

"Renowned geopolitical analyst Peter Zeihan recently made a startling prediction during an interview with commentator Joe Rogan." I found this article, and no one else seems to be claiming this, so I think it's a bunch of bullshit. China hasn't officially revised their population numbers downward or anything like that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

bonelessdongs posted:

sorry i only touch machines with no moving parts (computers)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
learning new skills ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Chamale posted:

Since 1970, computer speed doubled every two years, but that's no longer the case. A home computer in 1985 had its speed measured in thousands of operations per second, and now it's billions of operations per second. Some graphics cards do a trillion. But the trend is slowing down, so we no longer have exponential growth in computer chips to drive constant growth in the tech sector.

m1 is decent it compiles quite a bit faster than an i5 I had 5 years ago. but it wasn't really bad then, either, and I still use that computer. i got a new i9 at work and the difference between that and the i5 isn't nearly as great (at times it feels slower and idk how)

for the average user it's probably not going to make a difference at all except for much improved battery life.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Chamale posted:

"Renowned geopolitical analyst Peter Zeihan recently made a startling prediction during an interview with commentator Joe Rogan." I found this article, and no one else seems to be claiming this, so I think it's a bunch of bullshit. China hasn't officially revised their population numbers downward or anything like that.

Well, hopefully it is just bullshit. But I suppose we'll see.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Chamale posted:

A big part of it is also how the growth is achieved vs. what is noticeable to the average user with the average workload. "Operations per second" is really "operations per cycle per core times cycles per second"; growth in operations per cycle or cycles per second died down in the mid-2010s, and while we're still sticking near exponential increases in theoretical throughput with a "then add more cores" approach that doesn't help for calculations where each step relies on the result of the previous one.

OTOH, the average workload these days is "let me just fire up an entire copy of Chrome dedicated to displaying an IM client, and a second copy of Chrome to track your TF2 stats, and a third copy of Chrome to flash LEDs on your mouse", so who knows when the wheels will really fall off.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

mawarannahr posted:

m1 is decent it compiles quite a bit faster than an i5 I had 5 years ago. but it wasn't really bad then, either, and I still use that computer. i got a new i9 at work and the difference between that and the i5 isn't nearly as great (at times it feels slower and idk how)

for the average user it's probably not going to make a difference at all except for much improved battery life.

All the growth now is wide, not tall.

We had 3 ghz cpu's in 2002. That's about where we're at still as far as making ones that don't consume way too much power or require theoretical materials to construct.

Programmers have to architect things now on the basis that hardware won't get faster, it'll just have more parallel paths. So they have to abstract all their tasks into infiinite threads to take advantage of any future gains. In the past they just knew stuff would be faster in 2-3 years and ambitious apps got better and better.

More cores, and more threads are good and we make the most of it. But in reality, some tasks that are the bulk of the work can't be done in parallel and single core performance is crawling forward since about 2004.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a lot of computer programs being slow on a single core is because the popular programming paradigms are slow on modern cpu architectures, so there's still a lot of wiggle room there for "easy" gains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQs6IC-vgmo

video tl;dr most computer programs spend most of their time bottlenecked on waiting for memory instead of actually running code

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

comedyblissoption posted:

a lot of computer programs being slow on a single core is because the popular programming paradigms are slow on modern cpu architectures, so there's still a lot of wiggle room there for "easy" gains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQs6IC-vgmo

video tl;dr most computer programs spend most of their time bottlenecked on waiting for memory instead of actually running code

the next "major" development is slapping memory onto CPUs

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Mustached Demon posted:

the next "major" development is slapping memory onto CPUs

lol. they've been trying to square that circle for over 20 years now. maybe this time it's different??!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skooma512 posted:

I've only had it done to mine once and that's because a valet crashed into a wall and damaged the condensor

Do you not need to recharge the thing on an ongoing basis, due to the presence of a leak?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my computer is fastest because i replace the cpu drive belt every 2 years and regularly top up the graphics fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I taped down my computer's turbo button