Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If they're literally disabling people's accounts from being able to watch videos, then welp.

But not even Google is that stupid.

E: don't use Brave, it sucks and is a cryptocoin Ponzi scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

redeyes posted:

No that updating list stuff doesn't work. They are disabling via your logged in account and god knows what else. So far Brave browser works..

I've been literally using my logged in google acct since this whole thing started with zero issues with FF and ublock.

So far, at least, and I've watched 3-4 vids this AM.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its going to get worse. Once your account is flagged there is not much that can be done.

here is a reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/14kmd07/youtube_cracking_down_on_if_youre_not_paying_them/?rdt=37336

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 22, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol if you aren’t watching all the Taskmaster seasons

Fixed for me.

Since GN has been making GBS threads all over the "new" Intel gen of procs, does anyone else think that with the slower-ish output of LTT vids, that they're just waiting for other credible channels to do formulas and math work so they can just copy paste to make sure they don't gently caress up results again?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

redeyes posted:

Its going to get worse. Once your account is flagged there is not much that can be done.

here is a reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/14kmd07/youtube_cracking_down_on_if_youre_not_paying_them/?rdt=37336

If you guys haven't already, you should export a .csv list of your YouTube subscriptions just in case, which can also be used for if you switch to a third-party YouTube client (many allow importing of that .csv file so you can have all your subscriptions) or get a new YT account.

Google changed the way you do it (it used to be easy to do right from YT, but now requires a few more steps)

• Go to https://takeout.google.com/takeout/custom/youtube, log in if needed
  • Click on the "All YouTube data included" button
  • Click on Deselect all to uncheck everything
  • Check the box for "subscriptions" and then click OK
  • Click on the "Next step" button
  • You can leave all the options their default settings here and then click the "Create export" button

Depending on how many subscriptions you have, you may be then presented with a "Download" button, otherwise you'll be told that it may take a while to process, and then you'll be sent an email letting you know when the .zip file containing the info you requested is ready for download.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nice. Just what I needed. Thank you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for that info.

I still have no problem with FF (seems like chromium based are the worst?) but if they did, what's to stop watching in incognito mode with no account logged in? I really don't care if I have no watch history of vids. I don't use my google accounts for anything else other than throw-away emails.

It's nice, but not a huge deal.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 22, 2023

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

redeyes posted:

No that updating list stuff doesn't work. They are disabling via your logged in account and god knows what else. So far Brave browser works..

It does work it's just that YouTube updates their AdBlock detection multiple times a day. You might be accessing YouTube during the brief times your AdBlock hasn't updated to match YouTube's detection.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Jiro posted:

Since GN has been making GBS threads all over the "new" Intel gen of procs, does anyone else think that with the slower-ish output of LTT vids, that they're just waiting for other credible channels to do formulas and math work so they can just copy paste to make sure they don't gently caress up results again?

I understand that the LTT staff might be lazy, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't *that* lazy. Plus they don't have Tim on the testing lab anymore so the results might be actually good.

I do feel like that they might be out of the benching videos for at least until next year it seems though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm watching the GN 14600k review and, uh, I think Intel broke Steve :(

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm watching the GN 14600k review and, uh, I think Intel broke Steve :(

i saw TPU's 14600K and looked at the 720p gaming and power draw charts saw the 14600K, 13600K and 12600K and went "lol, lmao"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve been getting the YouTube pop up about blockers but once I close it the video plays fine without ads. This is on Edge with ublock origin.

Should I just get premium from Argentina or whatever?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

I’ve been getting the YouTube pop up about blockers but once I close it the video plays fine without ads. This is on Edge with ublock origin.

Should I just get premium from Argentina or whatever?

It's very weird right now. I was getting that as well, with the countdown timer. Then it went away for about a week. Then came back, but changed to "You Can Watch 3 More Videos". That cut off the stream, but updating the daily build of uBlock Origin and refreshing the filters would get rid of it. Then about a week ago it just stopped bringing up any windows and Youtube has been fine.

So either uBlock is on the ball and clapping Youtubes cheeks before they can cause any issues, or Youtube just gave up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I saw someone say they were getting the messages this morning but I haven't seen one for a few days. Seems like Ublock might've gotten fully on top of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've not managed to see one at all yet though I use FF with ublock

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ditto, all my viewing is ad & warning free.

edit: ublock origin.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Aware posted:

I wonder if anyone is encoding data into YouTube videos as a weird file storage and distribution mechanism

E. Ofcourse they are https://hackaday.com/2023/02/21/youtube-as-infinite-file-storage/

This is a cool technique but if anyone is seriously looking for infinite file storage it already exists with newsgroups. I suppose the main difference is you have to pay for usenet access whereas a YouTube account is free, but encrypting a file and uploading it couldn't be easier. Create an nzb for it and you can redownload the file 15 years later.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, same here across multiple platforms and versions. I keep reading this thread with grim fascination but no shoe has dropped for me yet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have YouTube premium through my brother. Highly recommended.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m calling it now. YouTube is just gonna a start inlining the ads into the video stream so blockers can’t tell what’s what, just like twitch does.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m calling it now. YouTube is just gonna a start inlining the ads into the video stream so blockers can’t tell what’s what, just like twitch does.

a. It's much much harder to do at youtube scale, and with videos that aren't live streaming. Note that twitch doesn't try the same thing for recorded vids. If you embed the ads into the video so that they're indistinguishable from the source, what stops someone from skipping forward 1 minute?

b. "Twitch ads are unblockable" is a myth. You may not be able to see the stream while waiting out the blocked ad, but you can block it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We already have sponsorblock for this lol

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Klyith posted:

a. It's much much harder to do at youtube scale, and with videos that aren't live streaming. Note that twitch doesn't try the same thing for recorded vids.

What makes you say it’s harder to do injection into VOD HLS than livestreamed, or (noticeably) more difficult at YT scale?

mobby_6kl posted:

We already have sponsorblock for this lol

Not if the segments move on a regular basis. SponsorBlock depends on standard timestamps.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Don't get Premium. Youtube neither needs nor deserves your money. gently caress them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tracecomplete posted:

What makes you say it’s harder to do injection into VOD HLS than livestreamed, or (noticeably) more difficult at YT scale?

It's computationally harder to splice ads into the HSL (or DASH) stream than it is to just serve the ads and then the video like youtube does now. Not very hard, but at youtube scale even a small amount of computation matters. Twitch serves 20 billion hours of video in a year, youtube does 1 billion a day. (Meanwhile twitch is already set up for a much higher amount of computation per user. Also twitch isn't profitable lol.)

It's harder to make the ads unblockable when it's not a livestream.

tracecomplete posted:

Not if the segments move on a regular basis. SponsorBlock depends on standard timestamps.

Random ad segments anywhere in the video is a loving unwatchable experience.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Klyith posted:

Random ad segments anywhere in the video is a loving unwatchable experience.
So are ads all across your search results and paragraphs of blog content but that hasn't stopped anyone yet.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Klyith posted:

b. "Twitch ads are unblockable" is a myth. You may not be able to see the stream while waiting out the blocked ad, but you can block it.

Wait, are Twitch ads thought to be unblockable? I just run Twitch on my normal chromecast, and it just doesn't play ads at all. Neither for live nor VOD.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hel posted:

Wait, are Twitch ads thought to be unblockable? I just run Twitch on my normal chromecast, and it just doesn't play ads at all. Neither for live nor VOD.

same here, i think ads just are straight up broken on chromecast which is probably the only thing positive i have to say about it. also ublock works completely fine on twitch for me on firefox so no idea why it was thought to be unblockable :shrug:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

On Firefox, once I disabled the Enhancer for YouTube extension, uBlock worked to disable ads and the ad-block-block again. I'm glad their ad-block-block-blocking technology is good

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Hel posted:

Generally yes. Ads are part of the streamers video stream, and pretty much hijack your video. AFAIK it all comes from the same place, so I don't see how you could get around the ads.

Are you sure you don't have Twitch Turbo, or are subbed to the people you watch? Both would get around the ads being shown. Twitch got really bad with ads for a while (as in, the same ad multiple times per ad block), and my partner just got Turbo, which eliminates all ads for all streams regardless of sub status.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I had every Twitch ad-blocker under the sun, and about a month ago Twitch finally seemed to have gotten around all of them. I disabled them all, and now I'm just running uBlock Origin, and zero Twitch ads lately. Not sure if uBlock has figured out some amazing new script to block Twitch ads, but I ain't complaining.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rawrbomb posted:

Generally yes. Ads are part of the streamers video stream, and pretty much hijack your video. AFAIK it all comes from the same place, so I don't see how you could get around the ads.

Are you sure you don't have Twitch Turbo, or are subbed to the people you watch? Both would get around the ads being shown. Twitch got really bad with ads for a while (as in, the same ad multiple times per ad block), and my partner just got Turbo, which eliminates all ads for all streams regardless of sub status.

Yeah, I'm sure, and if I just play it on my phone/tablet, I get the ads, but as soon as I start casting, they just don't appear. It's been that way for as long as I've had it, so 3+ years. Youtube still gets ads , probably because it's a Google product, so they made sure it works.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

There are ways around that, because it'd done with EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I had every Twitch ad-blocker under the sun, and about a month ago Twitch finally seemed to have gotten around all of them. I disabled them all, and now I'm just running uBlock Origin, and zero Twitch ads lately. Not sure if uBlock has figured out some amazing new script to block Twitch ads, but I ain't complaining.

Some good Goon suggested the Alternate Viewer for Twitch extension for Firefox to me last week, the ads were driving me nuts.

I never log into Twitch so i don't know if there is any downside to it these days but other that a delay when it blocks the ads i'm very happy with the result. :)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've been using ublock and ttvlol and haven't gotten ads on twitch in quite a long time.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For mobile I had been using Blokada which had worked for a couple years at blocking video ads on the official Twitch app (Amazon side panel ads would occasionally show up) but it seems like video ads are finally getting through.

On desktop I had been using TTV LOL Pro for a while, but it started constantly stuttering for me about two months ago and I switched to Twitch Adblock Plus which has worked for me since.

As for YouTube, just uBlock Origin and I haven't seen any of the ad-block warnings yet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seconding never using uBlock and NoScript and never seeing anything blocking my poo poo. Then again I'm never signed into my account via browser, and only signed on that way on my phone via the app where I can't help but be bombarded by unskippable ads all the loving time. Plus I have my browser delete everything related to my browsing history after I close it. Firefox user.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Isn't NoScript redundant because uBlock does a similar thing?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish I had your luck, because I'm still getting Twitch ads on the regular with uBlock Origin on Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tried Adguard Extra (beta) that was linked in a post above and it does indeed successfully block twitch ads.

Your video does freeze for about 3 seconds every time twitch tries to play an ad, but it’s better than sitting through a minute and a half of crap that’s for sure.