Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do wood and metal shop still exist in most schools? I wasn't aware of any where I grew up. My dad talked about them when he was in highschool in the 60s, but I figured they were long gone.

In seattle area we had wood and metal shop 7/8th grade and in the dallas suburbs we had wood and metal shop in 9/10th grade and auto shop 11/12th. That was all ~20 years ago though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You're not wrong

I can't find the article right now but california in particular is having trouble filling computer science K-12 teacher positions

Computer touching should be taught cheek and jowl alongside wood and metal shop, as boomers age out of the workforce all the scripts that run the back office of all these small businesses need to be maintained and updated. Not everyone needs to be a $300,000/yr full stack FAANG guy developing VR headsets nobody uses/buys

I took ap computer science (objectie c++) in high school, you get an hour of instruction every day, even the teacher noted that college students would come back 1, 2, 3 years later and pointed out that one year of computer science in high school is equivalent to over a year and a half of computer science in college. Two full years of computer science in high school covers the first three years of practical theory and applied practice of computer "science". I never finished college but those two years of computer science in high school have dragged me out of minimum wage chain resturaunt food service and into home ownership. I definitely feel there is significant value in propping up comp sci in K-12. Certainly enough that I'd trade cursive for it.

Also got some grim programming instruction in elementary school, the teacher's son found a bunch of late-70s very very early 1980s era TRS-80 (lovingly nicknamed "trash 80") in a dumpster, cleaned them up, brought them in, along with a bunch of back issues of BASIC programming magazines all we had to do was type in the programs printed in the back of each issue (with no typos) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

Could you at least get to whatever stupid/wrong point you're trying to make instead of these never-ending shaggy dog posts?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i had woodshop in high school, but metal and auto had already been cut, and i heard woodshop got axed a few years after i graduated. but i went to a bougie high school, so we mostly had electives like advertising and media or graphic design

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Where do kids learn about how one can lose fingats from someone firsthand these days?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Could you at least get to whatever stupid/wrong point you're trying to make instead of these never-ending shaggy dog posts?

It's the last two sentences of paragraph two

Sorry I tried to add context, I'll try and keep it to single sentence critical remarks instead of contributing to the discussion :tipshat:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i still don't understand the connection so many people have to writing in print and electronics. you dont write in print on electronics either

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cactus Ghost posted:

you dont write in print on electronics either

This is Palm Pilot erasure.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kestral posted:

For what it's worth, I re-learned cursive a couple years back and discovered that it enormously increased my writing speed - which is nice, because there's any number of situations in which you can write, but not type - and my retention of what I'd written. There's quite a few studies showing that written notes are significantly more effective at providing retention and comprehension, and my experience bore that out. I definitely regret not taking it seriously enough to have useable cursive in college, would have made my note-taking much more effective.

That said, I second the notion that it's probably better off being approached from the artistic standpoint, and letting people adopt it as their handwriting style if it clicks for them. A calligraphy module with cheap fountain pens in elementary school art class seems perfectly reasonable.

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

as a guy who has many pilot metros and other fountain pens, I would like more people to use fountain pens but I find it impractical for most k12 students to have them given the difficulty in sourcing ink quickly without going online and also getting them to do the minimum amount of maintenance to keep them from drying out or getting ink everywhere

I didn’t take art in high school so maybe this is already a solved problem

tldr having a nice ballpoint pen is good enough to use for cursive

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

sb hermit posted:

as a guy who has many pilot metros and other fountain pens, I would like more people to use fountain pens but I find it impractical for most k12 students to have them given the difficulty in sourcing ink quickly without going online and also getting them to do the minimum amount of maintenance to keep them from drying out or getting ink everywhere

I didn’t take art in high school so maybe this is already a solved problem

tldr having a nice ballpoint pen is good enough to use for cursive

Preppys basically never dry out as long as you can put the cap back on

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

First of May posted:

Schools should teach useful life skills, like how to use a Linux command line.
We could also teach them about Police Interactions. First Lesson: Don't talk to the police.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

e: wrong thread

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BeAuMaN posted:

We could also teach them about Police Interactions. First Lesson: Don't talk to the police.

But if we did that, we wouldn't have enough "volunteer" firefighters!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dirk the Average posted:

:hmmyes:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Plus the police officer discipline consultant in the back of the classroom would have his feelings hurt.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

shirunei posted:

people who grew up writing for everything find it easier to remember written notes

people who grew up with computer's from the age of 3 find it easier to remember typed notes

weird poo poo i know.

Well, that's the thing, it's not quite that straightforward because there's some neurology weirdness going on. A fair number of studies - like this one, which actually isn't one I'd seen before - have found a connection between note-taking by hand and information retention, possibly because the use of fine motor control encourages the brain to form those memories for whatever reason, and the effects are found in both adults and children.

Like I said, I didn't grow up writing everything, and was a "computers from the age of 5" person and took my college notes on a laptop. Turns out I retain written information noticeably better than typed. But my anecdote is just that, anecdotal, and if the subject actually interests you there's plenty of academic work on it - not all of which comes to the same conclusion! It's still very much an open area of study, not one we can readily dismiss.

Edit: And is it a big deal in the grand scheme of education? Nah. But if we're legislating about it anyway, might as well do it properly.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
In high school I found I retained information best if I kept my hand busy, but I never actually referred to my notes later, so I generally would pull out a piece of notebook paper and fill it with an alternating teardrop doodle thing like this:

I kept that up all the way through grad school. People would sometimes ask if they could borrow my notes because they saw I was writing the whole time but I never actually took any notes, doing that little doodle just helped me focus on the lecturer so that I could remember things better. I also was bad about cleaning out my backpack so at the end of a semester I'd have hundreds of pages with just that on it on every line that I'd have to throw away.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I bet drawing the cool S would work even better

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kestral posted:

Well, that's the thing, it's not quite that straightforward because there's some neurology weirdness going on. A fair number of studies - like this one, which actually isn't one I'd seen before - have found a connection between note-taking by hand and information retention, possibly because the use of fine motor control encourages the brain to form those memories for whatever reason, and the effects are found in both adults and children.

Like I said, I didn't grow up writing everything, and was a "computers from the age of 5" person and took my college notes on a laptop. Turns out I retain written information noticeably better than typed. But my anecdote is just that, anecdotal, and if the subject actually interests you there's plenty of academic work on it - not all of which comes to the same conclusion! It's still very much an open area of study, not one we can readily dismiss.

Edit: And is it a big deal in the grand scheme of education? Nah. But if we're legislating about it anyway, might as well do it properly.

it's definitely anecdotally the case with me too. i took notes both ways in college, and i never had to look at my handwritten notes because i just remembered it. types notes i had to actually study (often by just copying them by hand). i was also using computers since i was old enough to understand how to use one.

brains are weird

acksplode
May 17, 2004

fermun posted:

In high school I found I retained information best if I kept my hand busy, but I never actually referred to my notes later, so I generally would pull out a piece of notebook paper and fill it with an alternating teardrop doodle thing like this:

I kept that up all the way through grad school. People would sometimes ask if they could borrow my notes because they saw I was writing the whole time but I never actually took any notes, doing that little doodle just helped me focus on the lecturer so that I could remember things better. I also was bad about cleaning out my backpack so at the end of a semester I'd have hundreds of pages with just that on it on every line that I'd have to throw away.

Awesome thanks I'll get your notes back to you next class. See you Wednesday

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Another anecdote that somehow handwriting things makes me remember them. After decades of typing, things flow straight from my brain to my fingers without leaving any footprints.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should have let people believe that the notes are encoded in the minor changes from loop to loop on the doodle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
California just hates the future in general, what with suspending Cruise's permit for self-driving taxis. Which is good, because the future sucks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/LibyanIntegrity/status/1719021804021293310

Hopefully this guy loses his trial for assault next.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elon Musk will not be banning this guy for that lol

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1719063516232241586

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Self driving robots aiming directly at kids once again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that kid was clearly trying to draw the charge, he's got solid grasp of the defensive fundamentals

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

mikeycp posted:

Self driving robots aiming directly at kids once again

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1719151772021731817

"The Republican-led U.S. House of Representatives is attempting to prevent President Joe Biden from awarding federal grant funding to the California High-Speed Rail Authority.

Legislation presented by GOP lawmakers would dramatically cut spending on passenger train programs, including more than a 60% cut to Amtrak, and a direct block of any federal funding to be awarded to California’s high-speed rail projects."
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BILLS-118hr4820rh/pdf/BILLS-118hr4820rh.pdf

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OgNar posted:

"The Republican-led U.S. House of Representatives is attempting to prevent President Joe Biden from awarding federal grant funding to the California High-Speed Rail Authority.

Legislation presented by GOP lawmakers would dramatically cut spending on passenger train programs, including more than a 60% cut to Amtrak, and a direct block of any federal funding to be awarded to California’s high-speed rail projects."

Something something their hands with a hacksaw something something Minecraft

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

:doubt: about the GOP's ability to pass any sort of legislation right now

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Attempting to defund Amtrak is such a transparently petty middle finger to the guy who used to take Amtrak to the Senate

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OgNar posted:

Imagine being beat to an idea by the Tories and also unable to even accomplish it

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We really are dying faster than the UK

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Aardvark posted:

We really are dying faster than the UK

I'm going to get laughed out of the forum for posting this, but it kind of makes sense? The United States was founded by a bunch of folk who couldn't hack it in the UK and left to try their own thing, ended up getting very lucky in their timing and position, and have been declining ever since? :tinfoil:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
nah, its just speedrunning capitalism.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i thought amtrak had to cover all its own expenses, like the post office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amtrak has always run at a loss except for the NE corridor. The justification has always been "it's not a viable business so we must run it as a government owned company, because if we don't the infrastructure around will crumble and it'll never return"

Pretty sure people who left for the new world did so because all the viable land had been spoken for by the same ten or so families for the last two thousand years and wanted a go at generating that kind of wealth for themselves. First generation immigrants are consistently some of the most successful people

The remaining families still sitting on their Spanish land grants in Texas and California today are doing pretty decently for themselves