Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you want to dabble with the state of Minecraft modding now, you want ATM8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Are there any active goon or goon-adjacent servers running a pack on a modern (1.19+) version? Futzing around in singleplayer was nice for learning create and some of the other progressions but I just want to play around other people more than anything.

Mystical agriculture question: is there any trick to finding or otherwise obtaining a lot of prosperity shards? I got all my essences going in significant amounts, and plenty of iron/diamonds for making ingots/gems, but I don't have nearly enough shards to make all the gear I want to make.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xerol posted:

Are there any active goon or goon-adjacent servers running a pack on a modern (1.19+) version? Futzing around in singleplayer was nice for learning create and some of the other progressions but I just want to play around other people more than anything.

Mystical agriculture question: is there any trick to finding or otherwise obtaining a lot of prosperity shards? I got all my essences going in significant amounts, and plenty of iron/diamonds for making ingots/gems, but I don't have nearly enough shards to make all the gear I want to make.
Does your modpack have the bee-based resource generation mod in it?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I have ATM9 running on my Oracle free server thing, though I haven't advertised it or anything because a) I don't know if anyone would care and b) I don't know what kind of performance the server might have with more than like 1 or 2 people on it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Black Pants posted:

I have ATM9 running on my Oracle free server thing, though I haven't advertised it or anything because a) I don't know if anyone would care and b) I don't know what kind of performance the server might have with more than like 1 or 2 people on it.

Would you happen to have a link to a walkthrough on installing ATM9 specifically on there?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

Would you happen to have a link to a walkthrough on installing ATM9 specifically on there?

There isn't really one for modded Minecraft but the steps are roughly this:

- Follow the official Oracle instructions for setting up a vanilla server.
- Grab an FTP client like FileZilla.
- Download the ATM9 Server Files download and unzip it into a folder somewhere.
- Connect your FTP client to 'opc@serveripaddress', the same one the original guide has you SSH to. You should need to go into the settings, then to SFTP, and then add the public key you downloaded in the first step first.
- Drag and drop all the stuff from the server files zip into the FTP client to pour it onto the server.
- When that's finished, SSH into the server.
- Type 'tmux'. If that says file not found or something you might need to do 'yum install tmux' first.
- Type ./startserver.sh and it will set everything up and then start the server.
- You can then close the SSH window and the server will stay running. To get back to it when you SSH in again, type 'tmux attach'.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Awesome, thank you!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Pants posted:

On my ATM8 server, the only hiccups we ran into were early on when 2-3 players would each be exploring/generating chunks in various areas/directions at the same time. Once everyone was established in a zone or had enough generated around them the server chugged along just fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
maaaaaaan, it's such a bummer that Pam's Harvestcraft Trees doesn't work right in the new version. like, everything works, and the trees themselves are much improved from the old version of harvestcraft from ages ago, but I reenabled it after a while and...

this is what some biomes look like. literal dozens of fruit trees within eyesight, whereas before, fruit trees would be rare, spawning like 1 or 2 per entire biome rather than per chunk. I even spoke to Pam herself and she told me she wasn't sure she could modify it. which, uh, ???????????????? you made the mod???????

if I could get a config file that allowed me to remedy the spawn frequency, I'd happily pay for it, but I don't know if that's even possible for someone not pam to do

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

maaaaaaan, it's such a bummer that Pam's Harvestcraft Trees doesn't work right in the new version. like, everything works, and the trees themselves are much improved from the old version of harvestcraft from ages ago, but I reenabled it after a while and...

this is what some biomes look like. literal dozens of fruit trees within eyesight, whereas before, fruit trees would be rare, spawning like 1 or 2 per entire biome rather than per chunk. I even spoke to Pam herself and she told me she wasn't sure she could modify it. which, uh, ???????????????? you made the mod???????

if I could get a config file that allowed me to remedy the spawn frequency, I'd happily pay for it, but I don't know if that's even possible for someone not pam to do

betting pam's is an mcreator mod and fruit trees spawn as random replacements for oaks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Realizing Ars spell turrets can be self sufficient with an AOE spell and a vitality source link and that they count as player kills for loot makes me feel like a sicko

E: ESPECIALLY after realizing that armor stands are considered entities so you can set one up in the path of the turret so its AOE will take effect, cause AOE spells don't seem to work if they just hit a block instead?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do I use Tinker's Construct casting channels to fill basins efficiently? I finally figured out how to make them actually work, but unlike when I have a faucet pouring directly into a basin, having a faucet pour into a channel that then feeds several basins results in extra residual fluid in the channel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow that is tapping into ancient memories? How exactly are your channels feeding the basins? Do the channels go to faucets? I can't even remember if you can do it differently.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ariong posted:

How do I use Tinker's Construct casting channels to fill basins efficiently? I finally figured out how to make them actually work, but unlike when I have a faucet pouring directly into a basin, having a faucet pour into a channel that then feeds several basins results in extra residual fluid in the channel.

Channels suck, unfortunately, and trying to balance them is just not worth the time or effort and still probably would break eventually. If you're using TC smelteries as your primary ore refinery then you want to either use something like redstone clocks to trigger outputs directly into tables for bars or if you have something like fluiducts just pipe it out directly into casting.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dragonshardz posted:

betting pam's is an mcreator mod and fruit trees spawn as random replacements for oaks.

Pam's been keeping this mod going for like 10 years now I think she's beyond mcreator.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 23, 2023

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

Pam's been keeping this mod going for like 10 years now I think she's beyond mcreator.

She rewrote it at some point tho idk could've been lazy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dragonshardz posted:

I think that is specifically a "dead trees frozen biome" type, so I don't think those fruit trees or anything they're replacing are supposed to even be there to begin with. it feels like only specific biomes do it, like the cherry blossom grove biome or that one, but when they do, boy those trees are loving everywhere.

the regular gardens that give you random crops are working as intended, spawning in small clusters pretty widely spread out, but the trees are feast or famine and I've not the skills to fix it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Channels suck, unfortunately, and trying to balance them is just not worth the time or effort and still probably would break eventually. If you're using TC smelteries as your primary ore refinery then you want to either use something like redstone clocks to trigger outputs directly into tables for bars or if you have something like fluiducts just pipe it out directly into casting.

Yeah as much as I love the thought and imagery of a bunch of channels flowing out to casting tables ala so many media presentations of industrial metal casting, they're such a pain in the ads to make work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The good news is that Tinker's Construct molten metals are normal Forge liquids and you can use any other pipe system.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'd usually end up trying to use channels in a pack with up to two factors:
1. Making alloys from fluids that can't be made just from melting in the smeltery.
2. Tons of different alloys that can screw everything up if little bits of them are left around.

In both cases, I'd end up with a faucet pointing into the smeltery and a channel to receive the fluids from whatever tank or receptacle. This was because I could poop out a few channels while doing the rest of the smeltery stuff without having any metal yet for regular pipes.

The main hiccup I'd have that may be relevant to channel chat is that those channels loved to stick to neighboring faucets, tanks, tables, and basins. I think it'd try to stick to the controller too. So the reversed faucet had to be well-clear of any other functional smeltery blocks. That's all I can really remember from them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and put the channels away and settle for running around filling up basins for now. I'm playing SkyFactory 4 and I hope I get introduced to some cool machines I can use to automate smelting soon. I went into this modpack with the hopes that it would guide me through everything and it kinda of does, but honestly not very much. A lot of the most useful stuff, like Bonzai pots and block miners, I ended up having to scour the NEI item menu for.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ariong posted:

Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and put the channels away and settle for running around filling up basins for now. I'm playing SkyFactory 4 and I hope I get introduced to some cool machines I can use to automate smelting soon. I went into this modpack with the hopes that it would guide me through everything and it kinda of does, but honestly not very much. A lot of the most useful stuff, like Bonzai pots and block miners, I ended up having to scour the NEI item menu for.

SF4 should have a redstone clock item. A very simple way to automate the smeltery is to place the clock block between two faucets that are over tables. Under the tables place a hopper and connect a chest to the hopper output. Use a lever on the clock to toggle it on and off whenever you need. On that note, you can also use a hopper to automatically insert ore into the smeltery by connecting it to the controller.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 24, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Xerol posted:

every time I go through a portal, it makes a new portal. This is happening on both sides no matter which portal I go through.

I saw this mod NetherPortalFix, which reminded me of your thing.
https://curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/netherportalfix

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hey, free obsidian! :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/oFvIWAX.mp4

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Who needs fans when you can just SHOVE. What mods are in use here?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Problem: Witches would simply outheal spell turrets

Solution: Shove them into a portal to fall to their death

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

McFrugal posted:

What mods are in use here?

Sorry I completely missed this. The pusher is from Create, its a sticky mechanical piston. I'm using an RFtools timer to send a pulse every 12 seconds on a powered toggle latch which is pointing to a gearshift, thats what makes it go back and forth. I have a redstone link hooked up to a clutch that lets me turn on or off the pusher. Then I have a redstone contact on the edge of the pusher that passes over another one along the wall which activates another redstone link which is hooked up to another toggle latch and piston which raises and lowers the wall to the portal. Past that wall I have an Ars Nouvaeu rune with a spell that freezes, cold snaps, delays and cold snaps again to damage every mob that gets pushed along. This way the mob is tagged as being damaged by a "player", so they drop experience and player kill loot when they teleport to the top of the tower and splat. The wall is to keep mobs from needlessly activating it and wasting source (fun thing, this is source positive!)

The spawners have apotheosis upgrades that turns them off or on depending on a redstone signal, then I have another redstone link system so I can turn them on or off in safety

I'll have a video out sometime tomorrow showing it in more depth

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 26, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUdLR04mp0

The first 10 minutes of this video shows off how that system works

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man ATM9's worldgen is annoying me. It won't just make somewhere nice to build, it's all hosed up messy landscapes and plateaus surrounded by 50 block tall cliffs. :argh:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 28, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh every world I have generated in newer modpacks dumps me on an iceberg somewhere. What is funnier is I also tried Minetest the other day and it did the same thing!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Man ATM9's worldgen is annoying me. It won't just make somewhere nice to build, it's all hosed up messy landscapes and plateaus surrounded by 50 block tall cliffs. :argh:

Build on the side of the cliff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Build on the side of the cliff.

I plan something like this but it just makes getting around a pain in the rear end until I can create ways of fixing that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That's also just more common with 1.19+ world generation. Rivers are just in deeper troughs and plains/open biomes are mostly on higher plateaus. Wonder if large biomes would make it better, since you'll have larger areas that are relatively flat (even if still very high up).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Set up a contraption to deliver food and combustables to a source/mana farm

https://i.imgur.com/KTFmGAq.mp4

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Set up a contraption to deliver food and combustables to a source/mana farm
Is there a reason you're not using some kind of pipe and arcane pedestals? It looks like you might be getting some waste from just having items lying around on the floor like that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I plan on filling the spots around the sourcelinks with botania mana flowers, once I figure out where I want to have my mana pools at

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have played a little bit with Minetest for shits and giggles to see how close I can get to a modded Minecraft tech pack with it. It's been pretty rough.

If you didn't know, Minetest is an open source, general-purpose engine with a very heavy emphasis on modding. Even the actual game you play is a mod, and you need one for it to do anything. There is a Minecraft clone for it on which a bunch of stuff kind of nucleates. The mods are all done in Lua.

Terrain generation goes something like 30,000 kilometers down, which sounds impressive at first, but then you find out you have to go a full kilometer to even see a diamond ore block. The current user base thinks this is great and fine, but I think that's just selection bias because whoever thinks that's horrible ends up just not playing it. There really aren't any good options for quickly digging down, and nothing for quickly ascending and descending those heights. There are cave systems, in which you'll get a random goblin or something with the mod arrangement I have. I got absolutely obliterated by the first one that came along and it startled the hell out of me. I don't know the mechanics at all for how they spawn. I don't have anything spawning monsters above ground at night yet.

It looks to suffer from a lot of the same world generation lag I'm used to seeing in older packs from the ~1.7 era or so. I'll be chugging along in a boat and slam into the edge of the generated world, and I'd have to restart the game to get the new chunks to generate. The terrain generated by the current v7 generator is pretty neat though. In particular, the rivers are long, wide, and mix between running along level ground and carving through terrain. It has a nice balance of smooth terrain and some really jagged stuff. At least one of the mods added blocks that cannot be harvested at all. I don't know what's going on there and assume it's a bug.

Crafting also gets janky. You default to a 3x3 crafting grid in your inventory in the base game mode. I added on the recommended inventory tweaks to search for recipes. I ended up with my inventory locked trying to make a wooden hoe and had to restart the game to unjam it. I still don't understand the UX for looking up a recipe and then making an item, and I don't think there's anything like a hotkey to lookup a recipe for an item or its usages.

I also tried to add some recommended stuff for hunger and farming. Hunger depletes very quickly. You're going to starve to death during the first night. It doesn't start you off fully satiated nor with any readily-available food. I guess you have to just immediately mow down livestock or something (if you spawn near any).

I haven't actually gotten to tech mods at all thanks to the jankiness but I was thinking of trying it in creative to see what some of the stuff is like. I know there is some power generation and typical machinery. There are some tool mods, but I don't think any of them are particularly mature. I don't think the magic mods are mature at all either. Somebody's trying to do something like Applied Energistics with it, but I didn't see anything about tackling on the automation side of it--just inventory stuff. There was also a pilot to try to mimic Tinkers Construct. I was able to get equivalents for veinminer and WAILA. The veinminer one seems to puke out from time to time, and I have to restart the game. There's something that I think is the equivalent of Pam's Harvestcraft, and I was really amused reading the complaints about the gajillion different food recipes with ugly icons that didn't do anything special.

Mods can be selected and installed with the game open, but not while the world is running. There's a two-step process of acquiring a mod and then enabling it in a world. I haven't tried servers, but it looks like you just grab whatever you need as you are trying to connect to a server. There isn't a need for a separate launcher with mod curation. I don't know how this works if you're trying to play with multiple servers with conflicting versions of mods.

It at least does start up pretty quickly and I'm not having to completely restart the game all the time. However, the terrain generation hangs sometimes end up hanging the entire application and I do end up having to force close and start over.

I think the most fundamental problem is the community thinks things are great and fine with a pseudo-vanilla Minecraft experience and think larger aggregations of mods as a "mod soup" to be a bad thing. So I don't think there's a lot of interest in integrating a lot of stuff better. Most everything is a mod in its own right so this becomes a major cat herding exercise. One thing I really expect to be horrible is automatic farming because all the mechanics of actually growing crops is a mod in itself--multiple, competing mods.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sounds like a small community of idiots with no understanding of what makes a game good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So when trying to set up a new modpack for 1.20 using Tetra I had to gently caress around for a bit to discover three things:

1. The 1.20 version doesn't use Forge, but instead NeoForge

2. NeoForge exists because evidently one of the Forge guys was a massive cock

3. Curseforge doesn't create NeoForge instances yet? The NeoForge Github page has a link to Curseforge about it, but it's a placeholder link - like it's literally https://curseforge.com/placeholder.

I managed to manually get Curseforge to create a profile using NeoForge (by, uh, just renaming the neoforge .jar and putting it where the forge .jar goes), but what a mess. I hope the launcher handles this soon. Or some other launcher. I didn't see Prism or MultiMC set up for NeoForge yet.