Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
I haven’t been fit tested for a duckbill but I’ll probably try one before I throw up. Why do the auras smell so nasty…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Poppers posted:

I haven’t been fit tested for a duckbill but I’ll probably try one before I throw up. Why do the auras smell so nasty…

because you keep puking in them

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
???

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If you're 100% stuck with the aura, try stretching the straps out a lot before you put it on. They are murderously tight out of the package.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

captainbananas posted:

because you keep puking in them

c'mon man have a shred of sympathy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

c'mon man have a shred of sympathy

Yeah you don't need to be mean to poppers when they're asking for help not giving people a virus at work

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Poppers posted:

Definitely get fitted for the duckbill, they are very comfy. In the meantime, stretch the hell out of those straps.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
Well thanks for the tips gang except that one guy. I’ll just snort some zofran in the meantime I guess

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pennsylvania is actively throwing kids off Medicaid who still qualify, due to a "glitch in the system."

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/social-services/2023/10/23/pennsylvania-medicaid-unwinding-children/stories/202310200106

quote:

More children, 51%, have lost their Medicaid coverage from the unwinding because of administrative or paperwork reasons, rather than due to lack of eligibility. This can result from families’ confusion around the paperwork, failure to return documentation on time or the state sending renewal forms to old addresses.

The COVID-era protection had effectively preserved coverage for nearly all Medicaid enrollees for the past three years – a safety net that proved highly successful at safeguarding kids’ access to healthcare coverage, advocates say.

“The pandemic made it simple,” Ms. Codario said. “The kids were covered under their insurance, and that was that.”

yeah, I don't know, maybe we should still be doing that

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

aura do tend to stink fresh out of the bag. i try to air them out for a few minutes before donning but if they're also painful for your face shape/type then yeah, the vflex/duckbill style would be the best next step.

in other news, all hail the future of long covid research: crowd funding organized by whatever doctors are mad enough to deal with all the bullshit that goes with it

https://nltimes.nl/2023/10/20/doctors-tired-waiting-government-start-long-covid-research

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bonafide Masks 15% off till Oct 31st code: BFM15

Covers headband KN95s, ear loop KN95s, color options, etc.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

captainbananas posted:

aura do tend to stink fresh out of the bag. i try to air them out for a few minutes before donning but if they're also painful for your face shape/type then yeah, the vflex/duckbill style would be the best next step.

in other news, all hail the future of long covid research: crowd funding organized by whatever doctors are mad enough to deal with all the bullshit that goes with it

https://nltimes.nl/2023/10/20/doctors-tired-waiting-government-start-long-covid-research

Too bad the feds set a billion dollars on fire trying to prove it was malingering

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
My condolences for your poor mask selection. Is there any way you could ask purchasing for different options? I have no idea how administratively that would work so if this is a dumbfuck suggestion I apologize.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SixteenShells posted:

My condolences for your poor mask selection. Is there any way you could ask purchasing for different options? I have no idea how administratively that would work so if this is a dumbfuck suggestion I apologize.

this is one of the major problems, hospitals won't protect their workers or patients because of cost inefficiencies and lack of staff. it's maddening! we don't talk about it in this thread but we needed to have a major push for people to go into healthcare like two years ago, and each year we keep pretending the system isn't sliding down the slope it gets worse. lol.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
Hospitals are epic. And also ftw.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I got covid back in march and couldn't get paxlovid and now I'm wondering what the latest news about long covid is. are my organs getting turned into swiss cheese rn? last I heard there was around a ~30% chance of that happening

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
If you feel fine I wouldn’t worry about it. Antivirals don’t really reverse chronic inflammatory activation if there’s not a viral reservoir. But I’m not up to date on this.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Segata Sanshiro posted:

I got covid back in march and couldn't get paxlovid and now I'm wondering what the latest news about long covid is. are my organs getting turned into swiss cheese rn? last I heard there was around a ~30% chance of that happening

You're pretty much past the window for long COVID. You'll have to rely on your next infection for those sweet disability bucks governments are so free and open with.

Don't worry though, for long, long COVID (like a future Parkinsons or MS diagnosis) you're still very much in the running.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

One thing I noticed while spending a lot of time in a US hospital ICU recently were all the informational displays constantly emphasizing that a full fit-test was required in order for an employee to wear an N95. I'm sure a number of healthcare workers don't think masks in healthcare settings are necessary at this point (in part because that's effectively what public health authorities say) but I get the feeling that even workers who'd like to wear N95s have to run an administrative or bureaucratic gauntlet to be allowed to do so. Doesn't seem ideal.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Segata Sanshiro posted:

Well maybe, are you feeling OK? In the case that you don't have any symptoms then technically you're not "experiencing" long Covid but there's a chance that there's systemic damage regardless.

Honestly taking the win on feeling Normal again is probably better for your brain than worrying over something you can't possibly verify.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Honestly taking the win on feeling Normal again is probably better for your brain than worrying over something you can't possibly verify.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
daniel griffin on twiv on thursday: "i'm here at the annual meeting of the infectious disease society of america, where everyone was encouraged to get their booster two weeks ahead of time to maximize protection ahead of this event"

daniel griffin on twitter today:

https://twitter.com/DanielGriffinMD/status/1716441127442612720

(he has kept masking indoors, one difference from wachter, but idk if he did at this meeting. in any case, one might have hoped that two weeks post boost would be at peak immunity against infection)

also

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/11/23-0804_article

quote:

SARS-CoV-2 induces illness and death in humans by causing systemic infections. Evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 can induce brain pathology in humans and other hosts. In this study, we used a canine transmission model to examine histopathologic changes in the brains of dogs infected with SARS-CoV-2. We observed substantial brain pathology in SARS-CoV-2–infected dogs, particularly involving blood–brain barrier damage resembling small vessel disease, including changes in tight junction proteins, reduced laminin levels, and decreased pericyte coverage. Furthermore, we detected phosphorylated tau, a marker of neurodegenerative disease, indicating a potential link between SARS-CoV-2–associated small vessel disease and neurodegeneration. Our findings of degenerative changes in the dog brain during SARS-CoV-2 infection emphasize the potential for transmission to other hosts and induction of similar signs and symptoms. The dynamic brain changes in dogs highlight that even asymptomatic individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 may develop neuropathologic changes in the brain.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
If your mask smells bad, consider some mouthwash, floss, maybe some chewing gum. Switch to tea from coffee? Probiotics.

Seriously though, there was something about the glue in some masks offgassing for a bit, although I've never smelled anything from my auras. Open it and let it sit for a bit, preferably somewhere its not soaking in smell (and viruses).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Turns out they were very literal about the infectious disease society of America

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

yeah I meant long long covid. I feel normal and fine physically, can't help the corner of my mind wondering about eventual damage though. good to know paxlovid wouldn't have made much difference!

MMania
May 7, 2008
I can't wear black masks for very long without feeling icky, probably just me being sensitive and not deadly chemicals?

And I'm one of the many single people out there that got a rude check on how well they keep up with dental hygiene thanks to having to breathe my own "brushing once a day before bed is plenty" air. I secretly believe that's why my dad hated masking so much, not that I'm willing to actually broach the subject with my parents.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

If your mask smells bad, consider some mouthwash, floss, maybe some chewing gum. Switch to tea from coffee? Probiotics.

Seriously though, there was something about the glue in some masks offgassing for a bit, although I've never smelled anything from my auras. Open it and let it sit for a bit, preferably somewhere its not soaking in smell (and viruses).

Auras stink of solvent when they come out of the package

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Segata Sanshiro posted:

yeah I meant long long covid. I feel normal and fine physically, can't help the corner of my mind wondering about eventual damage though. good to know paxlovid wouldn't have made much difference!

uh don't get it twisted: in your case specifically it might not have but it absolutely does so statistically.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2802878

so you got a great roll on the ol' dice. everyone should get and take paxlovid when they get covid.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Even my vflexes have a "fresh mask" smell and those fucks come loose in an unsealed bag.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

This is entirely off topic but user Poppers every time I see the thumbnail of your avatar out of the corner of my eye I think it’s a Delibird

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation

Baddog posted:

That’s not really a good option in a hospital where you’re taking them fresh out of the bag. I feel like there’s something strange happening here…

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

:dogbutton:

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Oct 23, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Petey posted:

the infectious disease society of americaahead of this event"

fake news, it was the american society of tropical medicine & hygiene aka smart white doctors telling poor brown countries what to do about scary diseases that don't exist in rich countries

covid is a white people disease and is therefore mild, fine, good actually

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My A1C came in at 5.8, the min part of the range is 5.7, so a prediabetic goonlord is me.

The weird thing is, the last time I had this read was in 2019 and it was ok, and I've lost 20 pounds since then and stopped even liking soda and alcohol and largely don't consume that.

Almost certainly this is from a diet rich in potatoes and sugary snacks. Although, one theory for insulin resistance is that it's from inflammation. I had COVID in January, a typical case with no obvious long term damage. I choose to believe the COVID is a contributing factor and will instead blame it for causing me to forgo treats.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Primary analysis here is a bit uninteresting in nominal numbers, it is a 4-fold cost increase, which isn't anything to sneeze at, but as the authors acknowledge it is an unquantified underestimation, we can only say it is worse than that. I found some of the raw data much more interesting, though they should be interpreted with caution. Anything noted beyond the abstract here relates to the latter. Data at the end Table 2 (note the substantial difference in CVD - we don't know the direction of causality, but it is worth noting that there is also an increase in the COVID+ non-LC group). Figure 3 is just, well...

"Healthcare Utilisation of 282,080 Individuals with Long COVID Over Two Years: A Multiple Matched Control Cohort Analysis"

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4598962 posted:

Abstract
Background: In the UK alone, long Covid(LC) has affected over 2 million individuals, yet health system burden is poorly characterised. Understanding healthcare utilisation will inform clinical, service and policy planning for current and future LC care.

Methods: Using the British Heart Foundation/NHS England Secure Data Environment, we identified individuals ≥18 years of age, diagnosed with LC between January 2020 and January 2023, and age-, sex-, ethnicity-, deprivation-, region-, and comorbidity- matched control groups: (i)COVID only, no LC; (ii)pre-pandemic; (iii)contemporary non-COVID; and (iv)pre-LC(self-controlled, pre-COVID pandemic). Healthcare utilisation (number of consultations/visits per person: primary care (GP), secondary care (outpatient[OP], inpatient[IP] and emergency department[ED], investigations and procedures) and inflation-adjusted cost(£) were estimated for LC and control populations per month, calendar year and pandemic year for each category.

Findings: 282,080 individuals(median[IQR] age 48.0[36.1, 58.9] years; female:62.4%) with LC were included between January 2020 and January 2023. The control groups were COVID only, no LC(n=1,112,370), pre-pandemic(n=1,031,285), contemporary non-COVID(n=1,118,360) and pre-LC(n=282,080). Healthcare utilisation per person (per month/year) was higher in LC than controls across GP and OP. For IP and ED, LC had higher healthcare utilisation than all controls but the COVID only, no LC group(all p<0.0001). Healthcare utilisation of the LC group increased progressively between 2020 and 2023, compared to controls. Cost per patient/year was also higher in individuals with LC(£3,350) than all control groups: pre-pandemic: £1,210(average excess cost: -£2,235 95% CI [-£2,284 -£2,187]), COVID only, no LC: £1,283(-£2,035 [-2,081 -£1,989]) and pre-LC: £870 (-£2,465 [-£2,554 -£2,376]), except for COVID and no LC: £5,961(£2,683 [£2,593 £2,774])(all p<0.0001).

Interpretation: LC has been associated with substantial, persistent healthcare utilisation and cost over the last 3 years. Future funding, resources and staff for LC prevention, treatment and research must be prioritised to reduce sustained primary and secondary healthcare utilisation and costs.
(..)
Control populations
We identified three matched control populations: (i) ‘COVID only, no LC’, including people who had COVID but never developed LC (i.e. no LC and diagnostic codes of COVID); (ii) ‘Prepandemic’, including people prior to 31 December 2019, unaffected by pandemic disruptions to health and healthcare; and (iii) ‘Contemporary non-COVID’, as a no COVID (defined by no positive test in Second Generation Surveillance System or SGSS and no diagnostic code) and no LC primary care codes in individuals who never had COVID until 1 April 2022 (after which COVID testing was no longer freely available in England). We included a fourth self-control population: (iv) “Pre-LC”, including pre-pandemic data for individuals who went on to develop LC (Table 1).
(..)
Strengths and Limitations
Our research has several strengths. We used national EHR to study a representative LC population with validated definitions and multiple control populations to illustrate healthcare burden of LC in the most robust way to-date. The majority of the patient journey from primary care and ED to OP and IP care, including critical care, was considered in our analyses, to capture comprehensive healthcare utilisation associated with LC. We also investigated cost, trajectory and mortality. However, there are limitations. First, we are likely to have under-estimated true LC burden, partly due to under-use and under-diagnosis of LC(21). Second, we are likely to have underestimated duration of follow-up of LC because the 20 SNOMED-CT codes related to LC are not all diagnostic codes: they include both referral and assessment codes. Third, COVID testing after April 2022 was not widely available, probably leading to under-testing and under-diagnosis of COVID and LC. Therefore, the contemporary non-COVID control group is not necessarily representative of the later pandemic. Fourth, due to low sample size by each ethnic minority group, we were only able to use two categories (‘white’ and ‘non-white’) for ethnicity as matching variables. Fifth, individuals in the pre-LC group may not be in the same situation as when they develop LC, such as baseline risk factors. Sixth, it is likely that healthcare burden and cost is sustained beyond 2 years, which requires further research and surveillance with longer-term FU. Seventh, data was not available for all relevant utilisation (including telephone consultations, informal healthcare and social care utilization), which will lead to underestimation of LC healthcare utilisation. Finally, we were unable to distinguish individuals accessing dedicated post COVID services which future research must focus on.
(..)

(..)

(..)

Excess mortality of England seems in line with an interpretation of :britain: having a heart issue (here with a marker on what looks to me like an ~average value):

Source: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJr...DY2NiIsImMiOjh9

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms: preprint:
"Neuroinflammation in post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) as assessed by [11C]PBR28 PET correlates with vascular disease measures"

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.19.563117v1 posted:

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic caused by SARS-CoV-2 has triggered a consequential public health crisis of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC), sometimes referred to as long COVID. The mechanisms of the heterogeneous persistent symptoms and signs that comprise PASC are under investigation, and several studies have pointed to the central nervous and vascular systems as being potential sites of dysfunction. In the current study, we recruited individuals with PASC with diverse symptoms, and examined the relationship between neuroinflammation and circulating markers of vascular dysfunction. We used [11C]PBR28 PET neuroimaging, a marker of neuroinflammation, to compare 12 PASC individuals versus 43 normative healthy controls. We found significantly increased neuroinflammation in PASC versus controls across a wide swath of brain regions including midcingulate and anterior cingulate cortex, corpus callosum, thalamus, basal ganglia, and at the boundaries of ventricles. We also collected and analyzed peripheral blood plasma from the PASC individuals and found significant positive correlations between neuroinflammation and several circulating analytes related to vascular dysfunction. These results suggest that an interaction between neuroinflammation and vascular health may contribute to common symptoms of PASC.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pingui posted:

Article about why the vaccine rollout sucks. The short answer is :capitalism:

It’s like any other vaccine, why is this so loving difficult? We have no trouble with flu shots every year,

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Long shot, but it could be the biggest lol since that ship got stuck in the Suez if loving Covid somehow helps Donald wiggle outta this one.

edit: Actually now that I think about it, he could be going out like Stan (Chera).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

We have no trouble with flu shots every year,

yes we do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

Long shot, but it could be the biggest lol since that ship got stuck in the Suez if loving Covid somehow helps Donald wiggle outta this one.

edit: Actually now that I think about it, he could be going out like Stan (Chera).

I mean, the st Lawrence is shut down right now it's not as big as the Boat Stuck but it's a big deal lol

A coincidence of tinier lols may result in a true lmao