Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

sharknado slashfic posted:

Or if you mean who's loving with Grusch it's *waves arms around at the government and MIC*

yeah them. have they either hosed up by feeding too much bullshit and grusch went rogue, or is this going as planned? assuming there's nothing really to this, how the gently caress did we end up here?

Zoobtro has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

here is something I read today: The way is not difficult for those who have no preferences.

I love this phrase and think of it often. I’ve also heard it translated with “expectations” instead of “preferences.”

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I wouldn't call it consensus but I think most of us lean that way.

Anyhow I'm currently reading the Ramayana

kick rear end! Let me know what you think. the line that is engraved on my heart is this:

Lord Ram looks at Hanuman his loyal servant and asks him, “who are you, Monkey!?”

Hanuman replies “when I don’t know who I am, I serve you. When I know who I am, I Am you.”

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zoobtro posted:

yeah them. have they either hosed up by feeding too much bullshit and grusch went rogue, or is this going as planned? assuming there's nothing really to this, how the gently caress did we end up here?

I think someone mentioned it in detail upthread but afaik the prevailing opinion is that there's three different groups fighting over everything, the pro-disclosure, anti-disclosure and disinfo, and slow drip disclosure. As for who is winning or if anyone is at all, who knows.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

kick rear end! Let me know what you think. the line that is engraved on my heart is this:

Lord Ram looks at Hanuman his loyal servant and asks him, “who are you, Monkey!?”

Hanuman replies “when I don’t know who I am, I serve you. When I know who I am, I Am you.”

Oh that's a good quote, I'm stealing that to use along with That Thou Art. I'm only on chapter 3(?) but after reading the Mahabharata it seemed like a logical choice.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I think someone mentioned it in detail upthread but afaik the prevailing opinion is that there's three different groups fighting over everything, the pro-disclosure, anti-disclosure and disinfo, and slow drip disclosure. As for who is winning or if anyone is at all, who knows.

seems clear the "total secrecy" faction is not getting their way lately lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

What are yall reading goons?

im reading my notes and refs for the battleworld thread because it turns out i kept a super thorough, tho not complete, collection of such

more fun than it sounds like

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

when i decided to do the trading card style posts for one of the domains, i wanted to make sure the cards would have art styles distinct from one another, but still be legible at small size. i chopped up and modified a ton of animation character models, because i didnt trust my own hand at the time to render things in sufficiently varied ways. the results are universally mediocre, and pushing those around trying to make it work is what kept the thread stalled-out until the arrival of cspam took me down a new posting path entirely

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Squizzle posted:

when i decided to do the trading card style posts for one of the domains, i wanted to make sure the cards would have art styles distinct from one another, but still be legible at small size. i chopped up and modified a ton of animation character models, because i didnt trust my own hand at the time to render things in sufficiently varied ways. the results are universally mediocre, and pushing those around trying to make it work is what kept the thread stalled-out until the arrival of cspam took me down a new posting path entirely

I don't know what you just said but I'm glad you had fun or sorry if you didnt

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

seems clear the "total secrecy" faction is not getting their way lately lol

Unless they're the ones pushing all this and it's not true. No one posting here or on reddit or /x/ or whatever really knows anything

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't know what you just said but I'm glad you had fun or sorry if you didnt

tyvm it was a useless post in context but it was something i wanted to include into my posting canon because it addresses an unresolved bss thread that might be bothering any scholars of squizzle post studies, and some casual readers

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Unless they're the ones pushing all this and it's not true. No one posting here or on reddit or /x/ or whatever really knows anything

true. the main guy behind the latest push is a lifetime counterintelligence agent whose dad volunteered for the bay of pigs invasion lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Throb candidate

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lux Anima posted:

Somehow humanity hasn't blown up themselves (*e: unto extinction) or the entire planet yet despite our reputation, so let's all relax a little bit and improve our empathy scores down here a while more. We are making progress.

Oh boy do I have bad news lol. This doom cannot be averted (without a miracle) due to climate change thanks to several feedback loops, which makes relaxing difficult for most considering the abject despair it entails. The sheer volume of reaping that is coming... The weight of it is crushing.

Despite that, yes, there is no reason to abandon empathy and it in fact should be exalted even further.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

This bit amused me too for several personally synchronicitous reasons, like listening to a hiphop track where they describe their musical stylings as "Zulu" just after reading this

Also that my first reaction to that 'you can't suddenly change the main character to a plant' bit was, "well sure, unless you integrate an Improbability Drive into your scifi's plot..."

The Whale and the Flower Pot
artwork by Chandni

“Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale anymore.

This is a complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

Ah …! What’s happening? it thought.

Er, excuse me, who am I?

Hello?

Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?

What do I mean by who am I?

Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail – yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now – have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now, isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was, “Oh no, not again.” Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Lux Anima has issued a correction as of 00:09 on Oct 24, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lux Anima posted:

This bit amused me too for several personally synchronicitous reasons, like listening to a hiphop track where they describe their musical stylings as "Zulu" just after reading this

Also that my first reaction to that 'you can't suddenly change the main character to a plant' bit was, "well sure, unless you integrate an Improbability Drive into your scifi's plot..."

The Whale and the Flower Pot
artwork by Chandi

“Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale anymore.

This is a complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

Ah …! What’s happening? it thought.

Er, excuse me, who am I?

Hello?

Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?

What do I mean by who am I?

Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail – yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now – have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now, isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was, “Oh no, not again.” Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

:mods:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Throw some more disclosure on the pile

https://twitter.com/HighPeaks77/status/1716514325005828387?s=20

https://twitter.com/BrandonFugal/status/1716529401544716399?s=20

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lol it's real

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We can't ever let the public know, but we told the Skinwalker Ranch guy

Carp
May 29, 2002

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im less concerned with whether or not the aliens are real but whether or not they will share their weed replicator technology with us

also if they can fix climate change and capitalism, that would be kickin' rad

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If they have to impose a solution to capitalism upon us, is it really fixed?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

A ban on slavery in the US had to be imposed, did it make that act any less beneficial to humanity?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

a more advanced culture forcing us to behave would be worth it if it prevents billions suffering horrible untimely deaths from global warming, the anthrocene mass extinction, and ruination of what natural spaces remain

even a harsh uplifting would probably be an improvement to the majority's wellbeing and dignity versus our fates in this self-annihilating capitalist hellscape

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tekne posted:

a more advanced culture forcing us to behave would be worth it if it prevents billions suffering horrible untimely deaths from global warming, the anthrocene mass extinction, and ruination of what natural spaces remain

even a harsh uplifting would probably be good to the majority's wellbeing and dignity versus our fates in this self-annihilating capitalist hellscape

Yeah. We as individuals aren't the ones loving up, nor do we have the collective means to overwhelm the minority oligarchy that is ruining the loving world.

Please Aliens, come explode all the CEOs and let us start fresh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

is this disclosure?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Squizzle posted:

tyvm it was a useless post in context but it was something i wanted to include into my posting canon because it addresses an unresolved bss thread that might be bothering any scholars of squizzle post studies, and some casual readers
:yeah: thanks!
a lot of the people who posted in that battleworld thread you linked are very talented artists and authors, i noticed, many of whom still post their strange stories in The Game Room! :)
I liked your demon guy card too but TBH my first instinct upon seeing them was that it was BS they got to have way more gems than the 8 chaos emeralds they were promised from their origin story :d::sparkles::d: :fut: ya gotta share dem gems!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tekne posted:

even a harsh uplifting would probably be an improvement to the majority's wellbeing and dignity versus our fates in this self-annihilating capitalist hellscape

*nasally* but the principleeee *dooms the entire planet*

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is this disclosure?

"What are they gonna do, probe me?" - guy getting nasal probed

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Squizzle posted:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is this disclosure?

Dude call in

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Squizzle posted:

my posting canon

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Serious question for the people itt who are more familiar with Buddhism than me. Is it possible that the increase of population worldwide and the fact that we care less and less for our elders in the West would generate an increase in "hungry ghosts" who would in turn torment the living and make them adopt self-destructive behaviors?

e: asking this because the term "hungry ghost" reminds me of something strange that happened to me some days ago, and it feels quite ominous at this special time of the year. When I honestly think about it, it really does feel like we almost stopped thinking about the dead a long time ago... The animals we kill to eat, our ancestors, even our parents. I don't know about you but I feel like we are in a time where this doesn't matter to most (not talking about the people itt but in general) and it makes me a bit sad.

e2:

https://kashgar.com.au/blogs/tribal-culture/hungry-ghosts-their-history-and-origin posted:

Some can eat but find it impossible to find food or drink. Others may find food and drink, but have pinhole mouths and cannot swallow. 

:pwn:

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Oct 24, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Serious question for the people itt who are more familiar with Buddhism than me. Is it possible that the increase of population worldwide and the fact that we care less and less for our elders in the West would generate an increase in "hungry ghosts" who would in turn torment the livings and make them adopt self-destructive behaviors?

the math works out well, so this is at least as real as string theory :colbert:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What buddhism even is changes so much depending on who you ask and what branch of it they belong to. that's like asking any Christian to supply information about catholic lore.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is this disclosure?

duder looks like he's well on his way to going out like thomas midgley jr, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

What buddhism even is changes so much depending on who you ask and what branch of it they belong to. that's like asking any Christian to supply information about catholic lore.

one of my most favorite horrifying topics for my father-in-law to get into is catholicism. the level of bullshit he just invents whole cloth is mesmerizing.