Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

my dad posted:

OK, I promised to talk more about the solidarity gathering, so here goes.

There was a total of roughly a thousand people, half of whom were Palestinian diaspora in Serbia, with a few dozen representatives from other (primarily) Muslim communities. Given that we aren't one of the countries that are providing direct support to Israel, and the public's utter exhaustion with our opposition's constant (and useless) protest walks, this was a solid number of people. People there were addressed by the head of the Serbian-Palestinian Friendship Society, the ambassador of Palestine (we recognize their statehood), and a few others. I'll bring up some highlights.
  • There was a constant string of appearances from people trying to create a photobomb of some sort. The saddest middle class guy sneaked up among the Palestinian flags with a tiny sign saying "Neither HAMAS nor Israel" before being chased away, a few Nazis who tried to act like they belonged there until the Palestinians started takbir-ing and they fash went away, some extremely well dressed people who tried to redirect the crowd's chants, etc.
  • From the River to the Sea Palestine Will be Free
  • There were mostly Serbian and Palestinian flags present, with a flag of Morrocco, flag of Egypt, flag of China, and two flags of Russia thrown into the mix. Also the very well dressed men there temporarily with a very old timey Serbian flag that's of a very "I'm a traditionalist" sort
  • The Palestinian ambassador talked about the extent of Israeli atrocities, and about the universality of Palestinian resistance, bringing up how Palestinian people of all faiths are standing together against Zionism, that they salute the courage of Jewish people who stood by the side of the Palestinians, how much hope they get from seeing the support they've been given, and so on.
  • The Serbian speakers emphasized the right of Palestinians to live free, and their right to armed resistance against all this bullshit.
  • It was interested seeing second generation Palestinian people here, and how comfortable they were with both parts of the crowd
  • Less officially, one thing that was brought up in conversation is just how psychotic the Zionist are HERE. The Israeli are constantly attempting to get Palestinians deported from Serbia, there's a lot of money being paid to TV stations to bring up Zionist talking points, the Israeli embassy and USA embassy (almost right next to one another) have apparently some sort of an agreement regarding Palestinians that show up near either of them - straight up "here's how to make your shooting of a Palestinian look like self defense" crap.

Sounds pretty good! Glad to hear wreckers and opportunists couldn't steal the show. Thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Uncle Wemus posted:

"We can talk once they give up their leverage"

President Biden said that he would be willing to engage in talks about a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas if the hostages taken by the militant group were released.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4271035-biden-says-we-can-talk-about-israel-hamas-ceasefire-after-hostages-are-released/

The United States embarrassingly negotiating with Hamas on Israel's behalf because Israel took the United States seriously when we said "we don't negotiate with terrorists"

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

yeah that's a fun way to gently caress with permanent residents but it doesn't really work on citizens

Can't speak for Germany, but the US applies it to naturalized citizens as well, retroactively cancelling the naturalization.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why do they hate Iran So much

They embarrassed us 40 years ago by disposing our puppet dictator. For that offense we shall never forgive them

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

KomradeX posted:

They embarrassed us 40 years ago by disposing our puppet dictator. For that offense we shall never forgive them

It really is this, a lot of people still nursing a grudge from 40 years ago

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

I was promised that this is the end of history and everything is going to just be more and better john stewarts and barack obamas singing in harmony forever

The end of history is just a decline for one lot of people as another lot improve. The trick is to stay in the group that has at least a minimal viable level of prosperity. Regrettably there are no dramatic collapsing towers of Babel to entertain us as spectacle.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/Ha_Matar/status/1716559055458582583

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Gunfire between Gaza resistance and Zionist army on the border of the Gaza strip

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1716563611299045645

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

KomradeX posted:

Carter?!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

genocide first, then we can talk retirement.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1716566611711463918
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1716491586593345716

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The IDF does occasionally mention that there are still some Hamas forces outside the fence in some locations, and the IDF seems to be having a devil of a time getting past it. There is an argument to be made more than just politics, that the bombing has to continue because they actually be getting toasted on the ground on at least 2 fronts.

Also, the fact that Hamas is getting close enough for small arms fire isn't great for IDF, their strength is their air force and it really doesn't seem their tactical bombing is accurate enough for around 100-400 yard engagements.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Oct 23, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/fishontherun2/status/1716531487460458674

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

HallelujahLee posted:

he poo poo his pants again

no that's the shituation room

e: shoulda known

Blame Pyrrhus has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Oct 23, 2023

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
If Hamas released all of the hostages, does anyone actually think Israel would agree to a ceasefire. Like truly no one is that naive.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Iran is a hated enemy because when we had the entire globe prostrate and groveling after the end of the Cold War they were a part of a very small group of states that were never fully brought to heel.

History is moving again though and absolute submission to the Amerikkkan hegemony is no longer a requirement for the continuation of state power. I think that’s why the European lap dogs and their colonial accessories in Australia/NZ are so rabid in their condemnations of official enemies. It’s easy to rationalize completely rolling over and begging for favor so long as it is the only way to find success and prosperity. On some level there is an awareness that the very idea that someone could get away with disobedience makes them a pathetic joke. It turns out they were not wise intellectual juggernauts successfully navigating the shoals for their respective ships of state. As it happens they are mere empty suits taking an easy payout and looking the other way when it came time to count the costs of the global capitalist forever war empire. It’s why every issue must be escalated to the maximum and no cost is too high to rationalize.

2.3 million people locked away from the outside world for the better part of two decades being periodically subjected to aerial mass murder must be more than acceptable it must be just because if it is not then the entire operation stops making sense. An attack on Israel, a European colony, at that point is an attack on European ideology and society. Salvation for the eurocrat may be found through submission to US policy interests.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I guess Hunter is the mini-me character in this scenario

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It puts into perspective also going after Saddam/Gaddafi/the Taliban, none of whom were an actual threat to the US states or its power structure but were hold outs from the Cold War for their own reasons just wouldn't submit.

The US also wanted Assad gone and had a opportunity but 2012-2014 seemed to be the era where the empire finally became overstretched and couldn't follow though. It tried with proxy forces and it didn't pan out, then the Russians came in and it collapsed.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Oct 23, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Stalingrad was also famous for Soviet forces using the sewers to move around

Ha, derp, fair enough, in my mind that just merges into all of Stalingrad being turned into a fractal obstacle course.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

VoicesCanBe posted:

If Hamas released all of the hostages, does anyone actually think Israel would agree to a ceasefire. Like truly no one is that naive.

those people were gone the second Hamas grabbed them because Israel’s entire pretense for retaliatory action is hinged entirely on them remaining hostages. it’s already a flimsy pretense that the world isn’t buying but it’s now the load bearing portion of their whole offensive because it’s the only part with any veneer of legitimacy now.

Israel was never going to bargain for their release in good faith.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Genocide complicity grants citizenship.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

im_sorry posted:

We are on the way to destruction.

for great justice
move zig

(zionists invade gaza)

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Oct 23, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Ha, derp, fair enough, in my mind that just merges into all of Stalingrad being turned into a fractal obstacle course.

It is just that Hamas has had even more preparation than the Soviets did with deeper tunnels (they are probably also connected to sewers in places as well in all honesty).

Also, from our perspective, "nothing is going on, it is really boring etc" but most signs are there have been fighting back and worth across the areas around Gaza, it just isn't really reported on because it isn't good news for Israel/the West. The longer these goes on, the IDF if anything risks exhausting its professional troops before a major offensive begins and then they will have to rely on reservists who have no idea what they are doing. Hamas is taking causalities as well, but they are on the defensive, usually in cover, and they have potential reinforcements. Also there are going to be far more casualties toleratant (fighting a war against extermination essentially) then the Israelis.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Oct 23, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

To be a German citizen you must acknowledge the original holocaust was bad

And acknowledge that the 2023 holocaust was good

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Honestly, reparation Germany

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/EyesOnSouth1/status/1716563546652151922

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

a time traveler appearing and asking what we think of the last holocaust to gauge the year

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Loyalty oaths to Israel as a prerequisite for citizenship sounds like a plot point from the Turner Diaries

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

I guess Hunter is the mini-me character in this scenario

that would be a hell of a garrison cartoon

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

text editor posted:

In the second segment, captured through a call recording application on a victim’s phone, a different son reaches out to a different father. “Dad, I killed 10 with my bare hands,” the terrorist excitedly tells his father in Gaza. “Their blood is on my hands, let me speak to Mom.”

That's pretty loving badass. Do we know what kind of martial arts style he was using?

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Oct 23, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So how long until we get "actually triaging is just normal in hospitals during war genocide ethnic cleansing mass causality events"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

First as tragedy, then as farce

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1716197454385655824

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

If we do the 9/11 math, then it appears that the 2023 Israel-Hamas war is approximately four hundred 2022 Russia-Ukraine wars!!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I like how everyone knows we are going to WW3 but like post covid apathetic nihilism has just taken over and people are like whatever sure why not.

https://twitter.com/EyesOnSouth1/status/1716571049196720623

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Some sort of incursion is ongoing apparently

https://twitter.com/EyesOnSouth1/status/1716567101656199202

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

gl

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That's what he calls his private bathroom

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Why the hell would Israel even think it is possible for them to "infiltrate the strip"