Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

You can't have a nun blow away Yig with holy water and a 12 gauge, because if the Ancient One awakes you lose, but you can absolutely (if you somehow get a gun and ammo, this is Japan so it's not easy) gun down vengeful demon samurai or coma demons or the early internet.

Honestly I think it's pretty funny to have a horror game where there's like demons and magic and things and "a gun" is still one of the most powerful things you can get your hands on, but the specific political circumstances make it harder to come by than said demons and/or magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Early on in GW:T enemies def feel like they have maybe a bit too much health, but once you start getting all your tools and upgrades you can just start styling on encounters and hit a groove that feels great. It helps that all the melee crush kill animations for each enemy are unique, you can just feel the malevolence and spite the enemies have for you from them. The combat animations all ooze style which is just really fun and adds to the game's vibes.

I dipped my toes in the DLC and it does have its own little story, it's basically GW:T but what if a roguelite FPS, so if the combat didn't really grab you super hard it's probably not gonna be your cup of tea.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Yeah, it felt like a game where you should’ve kept getting new weapons but you’re kind of stuck with wind as your main damage dealer and fire for big aoe while water and your arrows are useless and the talismans are pretty restricted in use.

Arrows are the furthest thing from useless lol. It's not explained at all, but the arrows can actually headshot enemies (that have heads) and they do some insane damage. They actually do more damage than Fire does before it's been upgraded, and after Fire is upgraded it's on par with arrows. Water also has a weird multi hit thing even on single targets with a charged attack so it's great for some of the chunkier enemies that aren't quite worth the Fire ammo you have.

The stun and purge talismans aside though, yeah talismans weren't so great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What I'm hearing is WoH needs a unification church investigation

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly spells are the biggest thing I find kinda useless in battle, because getting killed by Reason loss is my single most common loss so something that trades 3 Reason for 6 damage to the enemy is usually not worth it. Other kinds of spells can be great, but magic in general doesn't feel that essential.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

With how ridiculously against you every skill check is even on normal i have no idea how people play hard or very hard in WoH.

Also the combat system in general i feel has too many things you can do almost all of it seems useless or convoluted (having to rediscover clap bow order every game for ghost enemies is goofy so I never bother)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of did anyone play that Call of Cthulu game that came out a few years back? I got it ages ago in a bundle and haven't touched it yet. Kind of feeling a dingy moist horror game rn. The Sinking City was such a busted rear end game but I still enjoyed it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

With how ridiculously against you every skill check is even on normal i have no idea how people play hard or very hard in WoH.

Also the combat system in general i feel has too many things you can do almost all of it seems useless or convoluted (having to rediscover clap bow order every game for ghost enemies is goofy so I never bother)

The secret is to realize that failing skill checks is the default to plan around and success is just a bonus. Heck, one of the backgrounds guarantees you always fail skill checks so it’s very possible to circumvent. It was an eye opener for me much like learning your adventurers are just another resource in Darkest Dungeon.

Something handy for clap-bow when you visit the school roof the girl always mutters the first two steps.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Something handy for clap-bow when you visit the school roof the girl always mutters the first two steps.

Ha, wow I never knew that. Good to know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real secret is to realize checks are basically d12 vs. skill, sometimes d12+1 if they're hard, and plan accordingly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So, I'm playing Slay the Princess. To be honest I'm not that impressed so far. Its just a visual novel Stanley Parable with a horror twist (mild spoiler).

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Most stats start around I think five or six so if an option seems like it'll use strength for instance (carry heavy boxes, run away from a scary noise, etc.) and your STR is a six, that's pretty much a coin flip. If you play the game long enough, you start to remember what the outcomes are for different events' failures and successes and you can do a little risk management if you want, but if you just remember the really REALLY bad things that happen to you (e.g., saying "what the hell is that" to the manga artist attracts Something Truly Evil), you can go pretty far, especially on Skeptic difficulty. Also, as runs progress, some locations get increased "threat levels" which (among other things) make passing skill checks harder.

For the combat, until recently I just used standard attacks and peppered in some of "boost hit" (+10% accuracy to next attack) if the meter says I have time left and that was enough to get me through Skeptic runs. I only recently started using the defensive options "brace" (governed by STR, mitigates physical damage only??) and "dodge" (every point in DEX adds another 10% chance to dodge) and I finished one of the harder challenges in the game.

For me, combat rounds are now gauging how bad it'll be if I get hit once or twice and what I can do to stop that. Maybe spamming attack will work, but it might be safer to use dodge and "prepare your attack" (almost guarantee the next hit) followed by a strong attack the next round. Sometimes (not often), I just take the 5% doom penalty and run immediately.

Besides those, you don't have to pay much attention to the other actions. If you use the little cheat sheet flowchart, you can exorcise spirits within 1-3 turns of clapping and bowing (or just run). I haven't messed around with "order your allies to attack," but if I have allies and am fighting a boss, I might risk sending one out as a distraction to make following combat actions faster.

If you're playing on easier difficulties, you should be able to buy an okay weapon once you get to town, so kick is mostly pointless. Likewise with scrounging for an improvised weapon unless (exploit) you're fighting a blind enemy, in which case throwing the branches and bottles you find doesn't count as attacking them so you can just do that over and over until they die. Having a fast weapon that scales with your best stat will also make your attacks faster and make it more likely you'll kill on the first round. I think every point in a scaling stat makes a weapon swing 3 units of time faster? Something like that.

Dunno how up-to-date these pages are, but they might help:
https://woh.fandom.com/wiki/Combat
https://woh.fandom.com/wiki/Math_Guide

If you don't wanna worry about all this stuff, just use Aiko (the swim team captain) and buy a hammer/wrench from the hardware store or a steak knife from the dog shop at the start of every run. Run from ghosts. Stay away from Aka Manto, the slit-mouth woman, and any other mystery with a difficult boss at the end. If you're on Skeptic difficulty, you'll win most of your runs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Haru is also very strong, you just have to keep up his extreme smoking habit. Put on Kiryu's jacket (it's one of his outfit options) and then proceed to beat the hell out of monsters.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of did anyone play that Call of Cthulu game that came out a few years back? I got it ages ago in a bundle and haven't touched it yet. Kind of feeling a dingy moist horror game rn. The Sinking City was such a busted rear end game but I still enjoyed it.

It's not a terrible game, but it's kind of a standard 3rd person wandering around dark environments with occasional combat thrown in. I remember sort of enjoying my playthrough, but can't remember anything especially notable, aside from one of the endings that was cool.

I've been meaning to give sinking city a shot. Busted as in buggy, or just janky?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So, I'm playing Slay the Princess. To be honest I'm not that impressed so far. Its just a visual novel Stanley Parable with a horror twist (mild spoiler).

I saw that pop up in the new releases thread, that's close enough to my guess on how it would play out based on the description. Seems like something I'd be curious enough to check out a playthrough of, but not go through it on my own.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So yeah Slay the Princess is really short too. Its only 45 minutes to reach the "true" ending. A bit short for $16. Maybe there is a lot more content hidden away in branching paths, but I don't think that is the case.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is the princess evil

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
She’s a metaphor for the atomic bomb.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is the bomb evil?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
no

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well that’s good

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The gun is good, the princess is evil

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Douche4Sale posted:

It's not a terrible game, but it's kind of a standard 3rd person wandering around dark environments with occasional combat thrown in. I remember sort of enjoying my playthrough, but can't remember anything especially notable, aside from one of the endings that was cool.

I've been meaning to give sinking city a shot. Busted as in buggy, or just janky?

Sometimes both but I haven't played it recently. My favourite bug was that clothing physics only exist for what's actually on screen, so if you spin round fast enough everyone's clothes would stick out awkwardly.

Game itself isn't terrible but the open world is mostly pointless and Frogwares should really give up on having actual combat in their games (they have not).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The sherlock Holmes remake of their cthulu game didn't have combat, at least so far as I've played. They do seem to be stuck on a rut trying to rework their franchise tho

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Horror Games Megathread: The gun is good, the princess is evil

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So yeah Slay the Princess is really short too. Its only 45 minutes to reach the "true" ending. A bit short for $16. Maybe there is a lot more content hidden away in branching paths, but I don't think that is the case.

Are you just skipping through all the dialogue? I'm two and a half hours in and I've only completed two paths

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Are you just skipping through all the dialogue? I'm two and a half hours in and I've only completed two paths

No, I'm doing all the dialogue, it'd be weird to skip through the dialogue of a visual novel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, I'm doing all the dialogue, it'd be weird to skip through the dialogue of a visual novel.

Tbf this can depend on your reading speed too. I go through visual novels really fast because I read them like books unless the scenes are changing a lot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just don't get how you got 45 minutes to the true end then, it seems like there's reams and reams content. How many endings did you get? I've only got the blade, damsel and cynic endings and it seems like there's a load more to complete the being at the end, you really did that in 45 minutes?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gaius Marius posted:

Is the princess evil

Its a modern horror game so even odds shes a stand in for the wife/daughter you killed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I can't even find a playthrough of the demo is that is only 45 minutes online. I'm not saying you're lying but there's something weird about your number being that absurdly low.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

weekly font posted:

Its a modern horror game so even odds shes a stand in for the wife/daughter you killed

I *think* she's an empty vessel who reacts accordingly to the scenario you place her in. The game feels alot like The Stanley Parable where the entire world is a prop and exists to facilitate a story between the player and developer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I say they’re lying

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a goon wouldnt lie!!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Note the 100% achievement.

Unless GOG is inaccurate. There is a 10 minute discrepancy between Playnite and GOG playtimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Unless GOG is inaccurate. There is a 10 minute discrepancy between Playnite and GOG playtimes.

https://www.gog.com/forum/slay_the_princess/a_note_on_achievements

Achievements are apparently not working right on GoG which is probably the issue.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

How many endings did you get? It loops back to the real beginning every time you get one

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maybe he's one of those guys that listens to podcasts at 300% speed to maximize his time efficiency

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

CharlestonJew posted:

maybe he's one of those guys that listens to podcasts at 300% speed to maximize his time efficiency

nothing wrong with this...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No Dignity posted:

How many endings did you get? It loops back to the real beginning every time you get one

I got one of the 4 actual endings. Its not like I rushed through it or anything. I was playing it completely normally including choosing the extra dialogue. I was also surprised it was only 45 minutes.

-edit and yes its the actual true ending. Not just one of endings with the vessel.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I got one of the 4 actual endings. Its not like I rushed through it or anything. I was playing it completely normally and was also surprised it was only 45 minutes.

So, you didn't get the true ending then. You're specifically told to go do the rest to make the thing happen : P