Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Behold, the origins of prig's snout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem with this approach is that we'll have to re-take it at some point, probably with the exact same process but in reverse. Putin will also see this as validation that things are progressing and will want to keep going.

So let the Russians destroy their any post-WW2 stuff on victories like these.

The Russians were shown using pre-WW2 trucks to haul stuff, I don't think they can match their losses with these sorts of victories until infinity. And after vehicle supply starts to die down, then it is just a matter of rounding up the hot spots and waiting for them to surrender or leave.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
They lost how many thousands of men and how many hundreds of armored vehicles and how many aircraft did Russia lose to take a toxic industrial waste mountain?

No wonder putin had a heart attack

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I think Orban already got played, didn't he boast at one point that "we will not be the last ones to ratify Sweden's accession because we care about the safety of Europe" or some other drivel before backing out, because Turkey again postponed the decision.

Turns out Erdogan collected *and* got the last laugh by making Orban look stupid.

There's a chance things could go exactly as they did with Finland. Then, too, Orban said Hungary wouldn't be the last to ratify but did absolutely nothing about it until Turkey moved first (the same move as today), which is when things started moving quickly. Hungary managed to beat Turkey by a few days on the final ratification vote, so they were not last!

But we'll see how it goes this time.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Clearly this is proof that Ukraine should surrender to Russia's superior GDP and that there will be no less than five Russian holidays made to commemorate The Greatest Victory Ever

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

The United States told them that was going too far and told them to stop.

????

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol Donald "TRUMP" called Orban the Leader of Turkey

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Buzzkills :rolleyes:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/10/23/7425342/

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem with this approach is that we'll have to re-take it at some point, probably with the exact same process but in reverse. Putin will also see this as validation that things are progressing and will want to keep going.

I suppose the question is if they have any offensive capacity left after driving Ukraine off the structure. Fingers crossed for that they don't and also that southern offensive precluding the possibility of encirclement.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Not seeing anything about Rus taking it tbh other then they got a bit further up the hill. I guess time will tell over night.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
why not make the whole country out of toxic waste mountains? o ya shitfuck putin is trying his best to do so

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Well I dunno, couldn't Ukraine just... go around it? Might be easier to isolate the big dumb mountain of toxic garbage, let the Russians try to defend it while not getting any more ammo or food or water coming in, how long would they last before surrendering. I'm no big brain strategist though. :shrug:

RFC
Nov 3, 2002
Zerg rush kekekekekeke ^__^

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tai posted:

Not seeing anything about Rus taking it tbh other then they got a bit further up the hill. I guess time will tell over night.

It seems Russia may have finally zerg rushed Ukraine off the hill / gained some sort of fire control but Ukraine also has fire control so the Russians cant occupy it either

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The poo mountain or whatever was never going to be invincible. Ukraine's been pretty good about bleeding russia then bailing.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
just gotta reiterate here they spent between 6,000 and 10,000 lives along with 250+ tanks and 200+ armored vehicles to capture a superfund site

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's like those youtube ads for tower defense games, eventually you get overrun

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

just gotta reiterate here they spent between 6,000 and 10,000 lives along with 250+ tanks and 200+ armored vehicles to capture a superfund site

Was this also the battle that cost 6% of all of Russia's helicopters or was it divided among another assault?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
"We've suffered huge losses taking this hill, it must be of incredible strategic value for the enemy to fight so hard to hold it!"

*Russian troops set up a FOB and then mining explosives cut the top off the spoil pile*

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

EorayMel posted:

Was this also the battle that cost 6% of all of Russia's helicopters or was it divided among another assault?

Those were just sitting parked at a couple of airfields elsewhere when they got hit by missiles the Russians didn't know about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

weg posted:

"We've suffered huge losses taking this hill, it must be of incredible strategic value for the enemy to fight so hard to hold it!"

*Russian troops set up a FOB and then mining explosives cut the top off the spoil pile*

Hell, I'd have thought just letting them set up a bit and a HIMARS or ATCAMS dropped on the place would do the trick?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Superfund site of radioactive contaminants? It's one of the things I'd be worried about Russia exploiting, seeing as how they're not following any kind of rules of war or Geneva Convention protocols.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mistle posted:

Superfund site of radioactive contaminants? It's one of the things I'd be worried about Russia exploiting, seeing as how they're not following any kind of rules of war or Geneva Convention protocols.

From what I can find, the slag heaps in that area are the result of coal mining, so there won't be that much in the way of loose radioactives - most of that's trapped in the coal and goes up the chimney with the other smoke. It is almost certainly loaded with traces of heavy metals and other chemical poisons - there's a reason that "Thou Shalt Put The Dirt Back" has been one of the US's most rigorously enforced environmental laws since the 70s.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

RFC posted:

Zerg rush kekekekekeke ^__^

Serge rush blyatblyatblyat -_-

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The Ukrainian strategy might be to draw out as many Russian casualties in these areas like Bakhmut or Avdiivka, where Ukraine may lose the bit of land eventually, but the lopsided amount of deaths on the Russian side make it worth it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yep, and until that very moment they very specifically did not. A lot of individual troops and units did decide that with the armistice looming, they weren't going to risk their lives or kill anyone anymore, and just downed tools. But a lot of higher officers decided this was their last chance to get some glory, and started some truly baffling and idiotic assaults in the literal loving hours leading up to the armistice getting tons of their men killed for literally no loving reason.

Peter Hart's The Last Battle is a great book on the final days and moments of World War I, even though it's depressing as gently caress.

That was principally the allies who 1) kept firing artillery among other reasons so they wouldn't have to deal with surplus ammo after the war 2) assaulted some strategic points on the assumption that the armistice may not hold and if they have to e.g. cross a river or take a hill eventually, now would be the easiest time to do so, after the armistice the Germans would be able to reform and dig in. People tend to forget the armistice was an actual armistice, not a peace treaty, and the threat of restarting hostilities hung over everyone even during Versailles.

Pretty much nobody attacked just because of honor or whatever as the movie depicted, the closest case was the plan of the German Navy to sortie out for one last naval battle, and that did lead to a widespread mutiny.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

steinrokkan posted:

That was principally the allies who 1) kept firing artillery among other reasons so they wouldn't have to deal with surplus ammo after the war 2) assaulted some strategic points on the assumption that the armistice may not hold and if they have to e.g. cross a river or take a hill eventually, now would be the easiest time to do so, after the armistice the Germans would be able to reform and dig in. People tend to forget the armistice was an actual armistice, not a peace treaty, and the threat of restarting hostilities hung over everyone even during Versailles.

Pretty much nobody attacked just because of honor or whatever as the movie depicted, the closest case was the plan of the German Navy to sortie out for one last naval battle, and that did lead to a widespread mutiny.

Note that Germany accepted Versailles at very nearly the last possible moment. There was only fifteen minutes or so left before the Entente's "this is when we start shooting again" deadline when Germany capitulated. A little more stubbornness from the Kaiser and his officials would have meant that "we were able to spend time digging in!" was a tremendous problem.

Trying to take a few last bits of land also had the potential to be useful at the peace conferences.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia is now attacking along the entire eastern front so this should be interesting given they couldn't even take Avdiivka

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Tonight we shall feast on pig snouts on the slag heap!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Eternal flight aka blasted into orbit by my own AA

Pounded In The Butt By ATACMS, the new hit novel by award-winning author Chuck Tingle!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

The geography does not require that. It can be bypassed. Which makes the Russian attack all the more baffling.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You don't get to ''bypass'' a hostile force in a defensive fortification with an elevated position. hth

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Huh, apparently Ukraine is training on M3 bridging vehicles. That's actually wild. Sounds like someone wants to cross a river with heavy vehicles. One might assume they'd want to establish some bridge head on the other side first, extend it a bit, then roll out the M3s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tiaz posted:

I suppose the question is if they have any offensive capacity left after driving Ukraine off the structure. Fingers crossed for that they don't and also that southern offensive precluding the possibility of encirclement.
Yeah I mean I do hope they'll run out of stuff/manpower. But this has been the approach since the beginning (e.g. Bakhmut) and they keep going. I get that the russian supplies aren't infinite but we're almost two years in and they keep throwing stuff into attacks and gaining ground bit by bit. It has to stop at some point but there's no indication that that's happening anytime soon.

Essentially if they're willing to send thousands of zerlings into the attacks and we're not, and can't overcome it with better gear that NATO is hoarding, well, then they'll just win eventually:

HonorableTB posted:

yes and it's stupid, but now they have it. I'm not saying we should be holding it at any cost but more like why did such an advantageous elevated position had to be given up.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Look at a map of Avdiivka. If you concentrate enough fires on the heap you can force defenders out eventually. Holding it and actually making use of it is another matter.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Plus once they're sitting on it you drop cluster munitions on it.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Coal-nobaivka.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I get that the russian supplies aren't infinite but we're almost two years in and they keep throwing stuff into attacks and gaining ground bit by bit.

...Are they?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

You can check the area on DeepStatemap and also flip through each day to see that the Russians have been steadily inching forward towards Terrikon for about two weeks now:

https://deepstatemap.live/en#14/48.1840/37.6988

Easiest to identify in satellite view. I worry that Avdiivka will be the new Bakhmut, i.e. not a single building left intact. What was wild to me when Bakhmut was contested and is equally wild to me now is that you still have civilians refusing to leave.

That's not to say Russian losses haven't been absolutely nuts, though.

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1716492677875748978

beer_war fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of fires, is there any risk of the coal slag heap being flammable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

McGavin posted:

There is a tree line right there!

They're afraid of cuckoos.