Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

Rusted Moss is… well, it’s neat, but the combat is just one layer too many for me. The grappling and obstacle evasion is already a lot to deal with, let alone enemies that deal huge damage to you and a heal that is extremely weak and can only be used once before it has to refill from you dealing damage.

You also have to aim the gun, so they put jump on the left shoulder button, grapple on right shoulder and gun fire on right bumper. I know the game recommends mouse & keyboard but this is kind of silly!!

Non-Metroidvania Gravity Circuit handles this way better by having your combat be melee oriented and special moves bound to a macro with a direction on the dpad, so there’s no cumbersome controls and your right thumb isn’t forced to be on the right stick. The grapple’s a lot better in Gravity Circuit too because, well, it just works. It’s not concerned with being a realistic physics simulation, it just works like most grapple hooks worked in 8bit/16bit games.

I spent like 90 minutes trying to beat a very difficult boss last night before giving up.

Yeah this is a game that definitively feels like including gamepad options at all is a trap.

In other news Lone Fungus was absolutely incredible. The sheer number of different movement options/etc were crazy; I didn't really do any of the major platforming challenges like the portals (I think I did like...three.) but I did get the alternate endings which all had some tricky platforming stuff leading up to it and those were all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManaJerk
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
I just finished Axiom Verge 2 and hoo boy, that ending was weird is it a sequel? is it a prequel? why not both at the same time?. Pretty drat enjoyable, but I find the first one to be the better game.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but https://store.steampowered.com/app/2324610/Xanthiom_Zero/ is a really stripped down, metroid-inspired game that I enjoyed quite a bit. It's reasonably short, but has a lot of powerups and unlockables, the vast majority of which are not simple 5% bonuses to something, but actual modifications to your weapons/etc. It's also five goddamn dollars which is incredible.

Folks were asking about Metroid-inspired games and this is absolutely one of those for sure.

The downsides are that the control is a little twitchy and the art is very simple, sort of gameboy-sized sprites on a bigger background, but all the rest of it is pretty great, and none of those downsides are a problem at this price point; highly recommend.

Edit: oh yeah and there's modifiers you can apply to saves as well, so you can customize your repeat playthroughs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Anybody try Laika; Aged In Blood? Looks stylish as hell

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but https://store.steampowered.com/app/2324610/Xanthiom_Zero/ is a really stripped down, metroid-inspired game that I enjoyed quite a bit. It's reasonably short, but has a lot of powerups and unlockables, the vast majority of which are not simple 5% bonuses to something, but actual modifications to your weapons/etc. It's also five goddamn dollars which is incredible.

Folks were asking about Metroid-inspired games and this is absolutely one of those for sure.

The downsides are that the control is a little twitchy and the art is very simple, sort of gameboy-sized sprites on a bigger background, but all the rest of it is pretty great, and none of those downsides are a problem at this price point; highly recommend.

Edit: oh yeah and there's modifiers you can apply to saves as well, so you can customize your repeat playthroughs.

This looks awesome, thanks for the rec

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Benagain posted:

Anybody try Laika; Aged In Blood? Looks stylish as hell

I really enjoyed the demo, but haven't gotten around to playing the full game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Been replaying Environmental Station Alpha. I'm in the postgame, found 2/4 pillars and 2/??? for keys

Just talked to the Eagle to start the cipher.

I never did this part, and it rules :allears:

bawk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 23, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, the sequel is not strictly a metroidvania, but the original was, so I'll put this in here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1437400/Salt_and_Sacrifice/

A game that was effectively buried in Epic exclusivity will be released 7th Nov. Have to see if co-op is possible from the Epic version or not.

Personally I liked the sequel despite it being somewhat different than the original. But of course people who wanted basically more of the same were disappointed. The biggest thing was that the interconnected world was changed to a Monster Hunter-esque loading a portal and killing certain boss enemies. Make your own judgment when it actually releases.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TeaJay posted:

Well, the sequel is not strictly a metroidvania, but the original was, so I'll put this in here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1437400/Salt_and_Sacrifice/

A game that was effectively buried in Epic exclusivity will be released 7th Nov. Have to see if co-op is possible from the Epic version or not.

Personally I liked the sequel despite it being somewhat different than the original. But of course people who wanted basically more of the same were disappointed. The biggest thing was that the interconnected world was changed to a Monster Hunter-esque loading a portal and killing certain boss enemies. Make your own judgment when it actually releases.

I liked the new structure but the actual combat design of the mages was absolutely terrible and made every battle against them a giant pain in the butt. Fighting non-mage bosses was fun, like regular souls bosses, but the mages would fire multiple projectiles that would juggle you until death, have zero cooldown on attacks, the ability to instantly turn around on a dime and attack (again, with no cooldown), man I hated those fights.

I also wish they did more with the whole equipment mechanic. I never felt there was much depth to it, just get the one with the biggest numbers that you're willing to fight a mage for and you're good.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think they reduced the player-juggling at some patch back when it launched, so I'm interested to see if they made other balancing for the Steam release.

But yeah that was incredibly obtuse and the mage fights could've been better.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I liked the new structure but the actual combat design of the mages was absolutely terrible and made every battle against them a giant pain in the butt. Fighting non-mage bosses was fun, like regular souls bosses, but the mages would fire multiple projectiles that would juggle you until death, have zero cooldown on attacks, the ability to instantly turn around on a dime and attack (again, with no cooldown), man I hated those fights.

I also wish they did more with the whole equipment mechanic. I never felt there was much depth to it, just get the one with the biggest numbers that you're willing to fight a mage for and you're good.

I played it as well and this is basically why I stopped, it just got frustrating dying to that one dark mage boss over and over again because you would eventually get hit by the full screen sword waves that come out fast and big enough that they're tough to deal with either blocking or dodge rolling. Another thing that annoyed me is that the mage bosses didn't have a universal selection of weapon types available from their materials, so you could go a while without a real upgrade to a particular weapon type. At least the online coop worked pretty well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Afterimage is solid so far, I do agree that the skill tree is boring though

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Afterimage is much improved by using the Chinese dub. The English dub is just pure nonsense that makes parsing the text even harder. Besides how often do you get to hear a game natively dubbed in a language other than English or Japanese?

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I preferred the Chinese dub of F.I.S.T over the uninspired English voice acting

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've been playing 9 Years of Shadow and it's great so far. Straight up a Metroid, not much Vania other than aesthetic and GBA era anime-ness, the actual gameplay is totally Metroid style with some pretty novel traversal unlocks that make getting around the latter segments of the game pretty drat fun. It has a couple boring (mostly the humanoid ones) miniboss fights, but for the most part the boss fights are all great and spectacles at the level of Kraid in Super Metroid.

Very cool little game. Hopefully the ending is solid.

Edit: also it runs perfectly on the Deck and the text isn't too small.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Blasphemous 2 is cool, I like all the NPC designs. other than that its a typical metroidsoulsvania and thats a good thing

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I finally played bloodstained over the last couple days, and I don't gave any complaints. I'm not going for 100% because that item list is daunting (and I sold most of my inventory before OD just in case lmao). I liked how many viable options for builds there were, and how it rewarded creativity; using standstill to beat that Harrier dude was a nice way to finish the compendium.

Also the coolest "fly" mechanic I've seen in a metroidvania

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Salt & Sacrifice is out on Steam right now and since there's been some new stuff since the Epic release (I played 1.0.1.0 or so, the latest is 2.0.0.0) I started a new character too. It's too bad that the game has a lovely design choice to start NG+ as soon as you beat the final boss without warning, so unless you know this will happen, your character is basically lost (I still wanted to explore and help people, or check out new stuff... and I really didn't expect to beat the boss either). Best feature it adds is to be able to teleport between the beacons in the maps themselves.

But enough about that. As Sacrifice wasn't More Of The Same™ (a 2D soulslike with an interconnected world) and more like a 2D soulslike Monster Hunter, where you port to various maps to hunt Mages (but the maps themselves are still interconnected), a lot of people hated it. Granted, I will agree that the mages run away a bit too much and in the release version they could airjuggle you to death (which I believe has been fixed by now). There are still traditional normal bosses too, but the main focus is hunting mages, getting stuff from them and upgrading your gear... so yeah, they really liked Monster Hunter!

The hub area where you start from with a friendly female NPC and collect various NPC's to whom you'll find along the way reminds me too much of aforementioned series... where the first one was applauded and the second one hated because it did things differently.

In my opinion Sacrifice is a good game, probably not as good as Sanctuary, but nowhere as bad as some reviews would have you think. I've still had fun on my 2nd playthrough (first time I was full STR, now I'm running a DEX build) but if I don't get a friend for co-op, I dunno if I'll make a full run.

Also the character models have updated a bit, to look less like some czechoslovakian 70's puppet animation nightmare fodder, still unique, but a lot better, IMO.

A tip if you want things a bit easier in the beginning: Join the Blueheart faction and activate the candle in the first map. I have no idea how it's supposed to work but I invaded a pair of higher level players and ended up with over 100k salt for a 5 minutes of running around. That's seriously OP for this level but for a 2nd timer like me it works nicely.

e: okay, on the second go I didn't get nearly as much, it must be tied to the player level

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 7, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

After finishing Blasphemous the first time, I told myself I wasn't going to try for ending C - mainly because Chrisanta kept kicking my rear end the first time.

Then I decided to at least play a new run so I could do the boss fight against Esdras, and after clowning on the first three bosses on the refights I felt confident enough to to a full attempt at the challenge bosses. Isidora kicked my rear end a few times, but Sierpes is kind of a pushover in comparison. Supercharged Chrisanta is still a bit much, but by that point I was significantly more determined than in my first playthrough. After seeing the third ending, I can confidently say it was worth it. :sbahj:

I think the main thing I did different from my first playthrough was realizing the power of the damage resistance beads - doubling down on the relevant resistances can shave off 60% of incoming damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Finally finished 9 Years of Shadows and it was drat fun overall. Not a crazy variety in event types at the end of the day, but all of the boss fights were really cool and interesting and a couple of them were downright clever as hell.

Solid Metroid clone with fun traversal mechanics. Definitely recommend it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The studio behind 9 Years of Shadow is running a Kickstarter campaign for their upcoming metroidvania.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

The studio behind 9 Years of Shadow is running a Kickstarter campaign for their upcoming metroidvania.

Yup, I backed out q few days ago. Looks cool!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

ultrafilter posted:

Because of that kickstarter I noticed that 9 Years of Shadow just got a Switch release so I bought it, and holy gently caress this is incredible! I'm a big fan of shooter/ranged, so the Metroid part rather than the Vania part usually, but the gameplay and upgrades in the first hour or so I've spent have been really fun. I can have fun with a melee metroidvania, but I definitely liked Axiom Verge way more than its sequel. So for whatever that's worth 9 Years has grabbed me instantly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lone Fungus.. was pretty good. the way i score games it ends up behind afterimage because its art and sound aren't as up to snuff but it's probably the better game in some ways. I think Afterimage still gets some props for having so many varied and large locations, while Lone Fungus is more compact (my playtime was 7'15") but full of bosses that are more varied than what Afterimage offers (though still kinda simplistic).

Maybe a tiny bit bloated with abilities and spells.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Last Faith just dropped on Steam. I haven't heard anything about it, I just follow a lot of indie metroidvania projects on Twitter so it germinated its way onto my feed.

Looks like Blasphemous meets Bloodborne?

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982828/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1700062537

It's currently installing, I'll give a trip report

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Props for having a trailer that's almost pure gameplay footage, at the very least.

That still image make him look like he's tucked his nose in beneath his collar like some sort of turtle tho, ho ho ho.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 16, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So far it's got a sword, backdash, dodge roll, breakable/secret walls, blood vial healing, and a big loving boulder-wielding dude in a bishop hat.

It's ticking all the boxes :hmmyes:

e: also, beating the first boss unlocks the parry/execute

e2: you can interrupt your combo to parry :stwoon:

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 16, 2023

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I've never really had an issue with vials in blood borne, but it's already been an issue for me in Last Faith after a few hours played. The game will always make sure you have a minimum of four when you respawn for a boss fight, but I've had a few bosses now that I would have won if I'd had the full 7, and I haven't found any decent spots to just farm a few more.

Just found an early boss with two health bars, and I think I'm done for the night.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I think I'm going to skip this one. I'm just so tired of soulslikes

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I've never really had an issue with vials in blood borne, but it's already been an issue for me in Last Faith after a few hours played. The game will always make sure you have a minimum of four when you respawn for a boss fight, but I've had a few bosses now that I would have won if I'd had the full 7, and I haven't found any decent spots to just farm a few more.

Just found an early boss with two health bars, and I think I'm done for the night.

I just found a merchant in Mythringal (old dude by a ladder) and if you use the triggers to go to PG 2 of his stuff, he's selling a stock of 25 of them for 50 a piece

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for the tip! I remembered seeing a merchant with some, but couldn't think of where and didn't feel like running all over the map again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

He's right as you first walk in, if you warp to the checkpoint right between the old ruins and the beginning of Mythringal, then walk left, you'll find him.

Found the weapon I'm gonna main the game with (sick rear end whip that has good DEX scaling and middling Mind scaling)

e: the whip's special attack is a volley of nails that rain down like archer fire :swoon:

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

bawk posted:

He's right as you first walk in, if you warp to the checkpoint right between the old ruins and the beginning of Mythringal, then walk left, you'll find him.

Found the weapon I'm gonna main the game with (sick rear end whip that has good DEX scaling and middling Mind scaling)

e: the whip's special attack is a volley of nails that rain down like archer fire :swoon:

I got the money together to buy the gunsword before I realized I didn't have the stats to use it, so I'm still hunting for a cool weapon.

I do like the few different spells I've found so far, they've been fund to add in

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just saw the gunsword for the first time, and I completely understand. :stwoon: I picked the gunslinger class at the start and it looks like I have the stats for it, but I tripped and fell and all my upgrade materials fell into this danged whip

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are you guys not breaking boxes and such? I've got more blood vials than I can use.

edit: I'm treating this like BB where rather than leveling up early on I'm loading up on as many bullets and heals as I can possibly afford.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I smash stuff constantly, it just doesn't offset the fact that I'm fully terrible at the game and take a great deal of damage all the time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

Just an FYI when you beat this boss you get access to unlimited healing items.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also bought it but didn't try the demo. Mostly based on the aesthetic, hoping the actual game would be decent. Gonna give it a go later today.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I also bought it but didn't try the demo. Mostly based on the aesthetic, hoping the actual game would be decent. Gonna give it a go later today.

If you like the aesthetic there's this game called Bloodborne you should really check out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm waiting for the PC version.

e: I've thought that if there still isn't one by the time we get to PS6 or so, I'll bite the bullet and get a used PS4 somewhere (unless by then there's other options like emulation)