Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So Freddy vs Jason is basically a Freddy movie in tone?

if it's just a corny fun Freddy movie I'm all about that.
There is a scene where Freddy is terrorizing a girl in her dream, but then gets splattered with her blood when Jason (in the awake world) impales her on a radio tower post and Freddy is pissed in that "garage disposal backed up and sprayed Mom in a sitcom" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm probably alone here but I think FvJ is the worst Freddy sequel and a good enough Jason sequel. It's a very ugly film with a couple of good bits.

Yes I also think Freddy's Dead is a lot of fun

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's probably hard to make a Freddy vs. Jason movie without the tone being mostly set by Freddy because he's the one who actually gets to talk and be like an actual character.

Re: Freddy's Dead, I feel like the humor wasn't as much of an issue as maybe just the general premise was. I don't think people really wanted this over the top post-apocalyptic version of Freddy's world, it was just too far outside the normal frame of reference people had for a Freddy movie. It's like ok I'm going with the idea that there's this immortal dream entity that can kill me in my dreams, don't also ask me to accept that it's going to be set in a Mad Max/Escape From New York alternate universe. There was nothing left to ground the movie when they did that, although I do enjoy it when I rewatch it because it stands out as different among the other sequels.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

see FvJ always felt like more of a Jason movie to me because Jason kills like 20 people and Freddy kills, like, one? I know the Freddy movies always had a lower body count since he basically has to do a full comedy sketch before he kills someone but I still think that's the lowest body count of any Freddy movie.

fun movie, though. i have a real soft spot for it as, like many people in my generation, it was the first Freddy or Jason movie I got to see on the big screen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The cast are all unlikeable shits which is way more Jason Movie than Freddy, I actually like most of the characters in the Nightmare films and I think that's a big part of what sets it apart from other slashers.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I could see not liking Freddy’s Dead at the time, especially after seeing what New Nightmare did and just general sequel malaise, but today enjoying its cartoonish-ness and tone knowing things like the remake exist. For instance I loved every moment of that stupid 3D sequence because you are not getting anything like that with grim-dark Freddy.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 24, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rachel Talalay has a vibe. It's a vibe that I think works better in Tank Girl than Freddy's Dead, but it's definitely a vibe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I only saw FvJ once, in the theatre, at an age where I was :rolleyes: about slasher movie tropes, and thought Freddy and Jason got too little screentime compared to these unlikeable dumbass teens. Maybe I should rewatch.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 25, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The cast are all unlikeable shits which is way more Jason Movie than Freddy, I actually like most of the characters in the Nightmare films and I think that's a big part of what sets it apart from other slashers.

Yeah. I think the movie suffers the worst of both. As others have said Freddy drives it because he’s the bigger personality and his plotlines have more to them with the dream stuff but it’s all broad and dumb and the characters are lovely slasher assholes. So it ends up being a more Jason movie in the sense of just mean and ugliness and piling up a body count.

I think you probably get more out of it as a Jason fan since coming off Jason X it’s another weird idea of throwing Jason into a situation. But as a Freddy movie it’s at best the worst of the “bad” sequels.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 24, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I watched Freddy vs Jason this month and it really stood out how often the movie has to explain the premise to the audience. It starts with Freddy doing a voiceover of his plan, and then about every 10 minutes after that the movie has someone explain it to someone else. I think there's even a scene where one of the teenagers guesses what is happening between these two undead killing machines.

It felt like the studio was afraid the movie was too high-concept for the audience to understand

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Freddys Dead is kinda fun but it falls apart at the end. And I’m not talking about the 3D, that’s fun! It’s that in the movie where they were supposed to kill him off for good they merc him in the least interesting way he dies in any of the films. At least Jason got dragged to hell!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I only saw FvJ once, in the theatre, at an age where I was :eyeroll: about slasher movie tropes, and thought Freddy and Jason got too little screentime compared to these unlikeable dumbass teens. Maybe I should rewatch.

this everclear is kickin' my rear end!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ways they kill Freddy ranked:

1. Dream Warriors
2. The Dream Master
3. Freddy Vs. Jason
4. New Nightmare
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street
6. Freddy's Revenge
7. Freddy's Dead
8. The Dream Child

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dream Master is #1 for Freddy deaths.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Freddy shadow gag worked great in the fvj trailer but looked pretty bad in the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Dream Master is #1 for Freddy deaths.

the footage in Never Sleep Again of the giant prosthetic Freddy chest they built falling over and almost killing several people is pretty wild

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the footage in Never Sleep Again of the giant prosthetic Freddy chest they built falling over and almost killing several people is pretty wild

Yea I would definitely say that scene became way more memorable and impressive once I saw how they did it with the gigantic Freddy chest intercut with normal sized Englund wearing the chest piece.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I would definitely say that scene became way more memorable and impressive once I saw how they did it with the gigantic Freddy chest intercut with normal sized Englund wearing the chest piece.

bonus Linnea Quigley as the naked lady swimming around in Freddy's chest!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

weekly font posted:

Freddys Dead is kinda fun but it falls apart at the end. And I’m not talking about the 3D, that’s fun! It’s that in the movie where they were supposed to kill him off for good they merc him in the least interesting way he dies in any of the films. At least Jason got dragged to hell!

It's been a while since I saw Freddy's Dead but I remember thinking how rushed the last minutes of that movie felt. Just the way the main character woke up doing a title drop with a huge grin on her face, it felt like the final scene of some sitcom.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What are some peoples favorite cozy horror? Also what are peoples definition of Cozy Horror ? For me it would be Hammer Horror films , Quatermass style films, Universal Classics , stuff like Night of the Demon (1957), Twilight Zone etc..

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I really hated Freddy's Dead but then I listened to the We Hate Movies episode on it where they are constantly riffing doing the Freddy 'Punchline voice' on all sorts of comments and it turned me around into retroactively loving how incredibly stupid it is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

What are some peoples favorite cozy horror? Also what are peoples definition of Cozy Horror ? For me it would be Hammer Horror films , Quatermass style films, Universal Classics , stuff like Night of the Demon (1957), Twilight Zone etc..

Yeah I nominated Hammer as being actual "cozy horror" a few pages ago. I think the key is really nice sets and costumes, editing that isn't too fast paced or frenetic, not too much gore, and reasonably slow paced without being dull. It also has to have a clean ending, where the situation is resolved. I wouldn't count a lot of Twilight Zone as cozy horror because it leaves you feeling unsettled.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

All horror is cozy horror if i watch it with a big blanket

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cozy is in the eye of the beholder. Like I’d add William Castle or early-Corman to the list as traditionally cozy. Or even the methodic tone of some Carpenter. But for me the static, pop, and fuzz of a found footage film like a VHS is legitimately relaxing lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Re: Freddy's Dead, I feel like the humor wasn't as much of an issue as maybe just the general premise was. I don't think people really wanted this over the top post-apocalyptic version of Freddy's world, it was just too far outside the normal frame of reference people had for a Freddy movie. It's like ok I'm going with the idea that there's this immortal dream entity that can kill me in my dreams, don't also ask me to accept that it's going to be set in a Mad Max/Escape From New York alternate universe. There was nothing left to ground the movie when they did that, although I do enjoy it when I rewatch it because it stands out as different among the other sequels.
I feel ya, but it also allows for this, so...worth it

I honestly wish we'd gotten one or two more corny Freddy's Dead style sequels before New Nightmare (esp cuz now obviously, we can't. gimme a really stupid of its time Freddy movie from 1994 or something. 1998! Freddy should've gotten the chance to make a bad Titanic joke!). Would've just made New Nightmare hit even better if anything.

WeaponX posted:

I could see not liking Freddy’s Dead at the time, especially after seeing what New Nightmare did and just general sequel malaise, but today enjoying its cartoonish-ness and tone knowing things like the remake exist. For instance I loved every moment of that stupid 3D sequence because you are not getting anything like that with grim-dark Freddy.
:hai:
I always forget they open quoting Nietzsche and then Freddy himself lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cozy horror for me is basically anything that evokes fond memories of the past. Usually that means it's something I grew up with but not always. Like in the challenge thread I mentioned that The Fog gives me that cozy feeling because I have a great memory of renting it from Blockbuster Video and seeing it for the first time with one of my college roommates on a Halloween night in our dorm room. And I didn't grow up with Hammer films, but I did grow up with the classic Universal Monsters so almost anything with a Dracula or Frankenstein is gonna feel cozy to me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
a very good and serious movie

some might say, a masterpiece :grin:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, like I find Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator to be cozy, or any number of sillier 80s slashers. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil has such a great vibe too and the romance and protagonists are so sweet. Universal Monsters movies and Hammer movies, as well as Corman's Poe movies are certainly that for me as well. But all in all I agree that all horror is cozy horror if your blanket is big enough. :hai:

Legend of Boggy Creek has the bedtime story vibe and some great relaxing narration. That's a good shout.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Legend of Boggy Creek is a good one I'm gonna try and watch that today

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Honestly anything that has something of a light documentary feel does that for me. Behind The Mask, even with where it goes, always gets me in a cozy mood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Legend of Boggy Creek is a good one I'm gonna try and watch that today

i'm gonna try and knock that out this month too, i was just rewatching the Boggy Creek II episode of MST3K but i've never actually seen the original and i've only heard good things

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Legend of Boggy Creek/Legend of Bagger Vance crossover where Matt Damon gets eaten by a sasquatch

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm gonna try and knock that out this month too, i was just rewatching the Boggy Creek II episode of MST3K but i've never actually seen the original and i've only heard good things

LOBC and its sister film, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, are fantastic.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Mover posted:

Legend of Boggy Creek/Legend of Bagger Vance crossover where Matt Damon gets eaten by a sasquatch

Legend of Boggy Creek/Legend of Bagger Vance crossover where Will Smith helps sasquatch with his golf swing

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

a very good and serious movie

some might say, a masterpiece :grin:

I like how Nightmare 3 opens like this on an inexplicably fake Poe quote.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

All horror is cozy horror if i watch it with a big blanket

also once it was snowing bad outside, and i ate an edible and i cuddled up and watched the thing and it was cozy af

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I skipped The Thing this year in October because I'm gonna watch it in January or February instead when it snows. Same with The Shining.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I mentioned in the Challenge thread that I passed out while watching The Evil of Frankenstein recently. Granted, that was probably more the NyQuil than anything, but still, "Peter Cushing talking in a Hammer movie" is gonna be my Cozy Horror definition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I skipped The Thing this year in October because I'm gonna watch it in January or February instead when it snows. Same with The Shining.

they really need that vibe

I should watch the fog this year. thats another good cozy horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Tbf, Evil of Frankenstein is the worst of the batch