Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

Its honestly mindblowing for non-americans that americans so frequently just travel around on their daily lives with a gun, and even do international travel with their gun. Just an absolutely insane unhinged culture.

Most Americans do not own guns, even fewer carry them around, and only the highest of morons try to bring them on planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
70% of americans dont own guns but average guns per owner is like 3. straightforward power law

30% is not strictly speaking above 50% but its not like, 0.1%

gun business, being durable goods which are basically optional for purchase, is dog poo poo. unlike the cast iron pan majors of the 1950s, the gun majors have made up for this fact and survived by glomping onto advertising hard and lobbying also hard.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
americans account for just under half of global gun ownership

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stink Billyums posted:

americans account for just under half of global gun ownership

Gun guys own a LOT of guns. I only know one gun guy and he has like, 150. Even he doesn't carry one around though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah not really a thing. This guy is just a moron who forgot he had it. Very very very few Americans will actually travel with a gun but you are allowed to travel with a firearm in your checked luggage :shrug:

Also lol at TSA missing yet another gun. They have / had something like an 80% failure rate a while ago.

I know some canadian border folks and they say it happen like... multiple times a day at the crossings. And a great deal start yelling about their rights when they are told they can't open carry in canada.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I would definitely bring a cast iron pan on a flight though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I know some canadian border folks and they say it happen like... multiple times a day at the crossings. And a great deal start yelling about their rights when they are told they can't open carry in canada.

A small percentage of 350 million is still a lot of idiots.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

What are gun laws like in China? Are they more restrictive than in Japan?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Well yeah flying with it is completely different though.

Not gonna say it’s a huge pain in the rear end but it’s a lot more difficult. You can’t just throw it in your checked bag and call it good. That’s why most people don’t bother unless they are going hunting or something.

Also not all states honor the permits from every state.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scam Likely posted:

What are gun laws like in China? Are they more restrictive than in Japan?

They're similar, you can have guns for hunting. I wonder if it might be easier in China since you could just bribe the permit instead of having to go through all the stuff you do in Japan.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Well yeah flying with it is completely different though.

Not gonna say it’s a huge pain in the rear end but it’s a lot more difficult. You can’t just throw it in your checked bag and call it good. That’s why most people don’t bother unless they are going hunting or something.

Also not all states honor the permits from every state.

Ehh, you gotta have a locked case and declare it... "Hey, I got a gun in here!"

I don't know if that's even really getting into what I would term an 'inconvenience'.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baddog posted:

I don't know if that's even really even getting into what I would term an 'inconvenience'.

Checking a bag is the highest inconvenience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Baddog posted:

I don't know if that's even really even getting into what I would term an 'inconvenience'.

Then TSA has to take it into a room and verify that it’s correctly packaged and locked with you there as well.

Also the ammo has to be separated.

So it’s not quite hey I’ve got a gun and you go about your flight. It’s definitely an inconvenience.

Also the airline tags the bag it so hopefully it doesn’t get stolen lmao. (That happens a lot)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah not really a thing. This guy is just a moron who forgot he had it. Very very very few Americans will actually travel with a gun but you are allowed to travel with a firearm in your checked luggage :shrug:

Also lol at TSA missing yet another gun. They have / had something like an 80% failure rate a while ago.
It's still mind-blowing because people outside the US don't just "forget they have a gun" because a) they don't have a gun or b) if they do, they don't just keep it in ther checked luggage, ever.

Also here's an article on the incident as posted in the trump thread. It's even better because he got into a fight with some reporters lol.

The Last Call posted:

US Republican Senator Jeff Wilson arrested over carrying gun into Hong Kong, barred from leaving city

Jeff Wilson, a Washington state Republican senator, reportedly called the police on journalists who photographed him as he walked out of the courthouse on Monday.

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/10/24/us-republican-senator-jeff-wilson-arrested-over-carrying-gun-into-hong-kong-barred-from-leaving-city/

Jeff Wilson, a Republican senator from Washington state, appeared at Shatin Magistrates’ Courts on Monday following his Saturday arrest. He was released on a cash bail of HK$20,000 and ordered to hand over his travel documents and not to leave Hong Kong, local media reported.

Sing Tao Daily reported that Wilson, as well as his wife and two men who were with him, got into an altercation with reporters who took photos of him as he was leaving the courthouse. The police were called, with Wilson’s group demanding reporters delete the photos saying Wilson had not consented to being photographed.

Police arrived on the scene to mediate, as Wilson and his wife threatened to photograph the reporters in retaliation.

Wilson is scheduled to appear at West Kowloon Magistrates’ Courts next Monday.

Carrying arms without a license is punishable by up to 14 years in jail and a fine of HK$100,000, but cases heard at magistrates courts see a maximum jail term of two years for a single offence.

Under the US Transportation Security Administration’s restrictions, firearms cannot be taken in carry-on bags on international or domestic flights. They can be checked in, but the carrier must ensure they are packed in a container and declared to the airline while checking in.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Some dude was caught on video pissing in a tsingtao beer tank

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Some dude was caught on video pissing in a tsingtao beer tank

Did it improve the flavor or?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hey it's a perfectly acceptable fizzy water to drink while you eat bulk food.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

A state senator from Washington State got arrested in Hong Kong yesterday because he arrived at the airport with his gun in his luggage

They have video of the arrest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zlPNGuPbw

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

It's still mind-blowing because people outside the US don't just "forget they have a gun" because a) they don't have a gun or b) if they do, they don't just keep it in ther checked luggage, ever.
people in the US don't do that, either. this one flagrantly dumb person did.

like i'm sorry to say it but folks have had it pointed out a thousand times that the vast majority of americans do not own guns and most have no intention of doing so. pew research clocked it at 70% of americans not owning guns with only 10% agreeing with the question "could you see owning a gun at some point in the future, for any reason?"

this was in 2017, when trump was in office and general insanity was more in vogue than it is in 2023. if anything it's gotten more slanted against gun ownership in recent years.

defining an entire country and population by fewer than 3 out of 10 of its people has literally gotten people banned out of here for anti-Chinese racism multiple times in the past. there's zero chance of that happening here because Americans are always fair targets online, but it doesn't make the sentiment any less wrong or dumb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry the post hurt the feelings of 300 million American people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For every gun you don't buy I'm buying ten.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
we're not a bunch of insane gun nuts, says only nation where this regularly happens

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I once flew domestically in Canada with two guns but I just told the airline ahead of time :biglips:

Ammo’s not allowed, but that poo poo’s heavier than you would ever want to pay to check anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Stink Billyums posted:

we're not a bunch of insane gun nuts, says only nation where this regularly happens

We’re not a bunch of insane gun nuts, the insane gun nuts just have an outsized influence on American politics

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’m American and I don’t think I have a lot of guns because I have less than around ten. If I had 20, then it’d be a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Basically 1/3 of americans have guns and only 1/3 of those have more than one. There are more guns in private hands than people in this nation. This doesn't even count police and military weapons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well that doesn’t change the fact that very very few actually fly with them (knowingly or not).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well that doesn’t change the fact that very very few actually fly with them (knowingly or not).

A locked gun case is the only thing TSA is not allowed to open it without you present.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Imperialist Dog posted:

A state senator from Washington State got arrested in Hong Kong yesterday because he arrived at the airport with his gun in his luggage

I hope they keep him.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hope they keep him

in prison.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

A locked gun case is the only thing TSA is not allowed to open it without you present.
but can they claim it looked like a guitar on x-ray

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I have 13 guns. I got very bored during Covid.

I’m doing my part.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

quote:

Shatin Magistrates’ Courts

The last time I Shatin Magistrate's Court I was put in a cell for 2 days.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can I get a really big one and use it as my entire luggage?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Can I get a really big one and use it as my entire luggage?

actually yes but this ends up being more a problem for you because of the size of that bitch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the #luggagehacks that some photographers advise is getting a super cheap flare gun or starter pistol so you can legally upgrade to using the good locks on your expensive camera luggage

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 25, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

One of the #luggagehacks that some photographers advise is getting a super cheap flare gun or starter pistol so you can legally upgrade to using the good locks on your expensive camera luggage

Sure but then they will just steal the whole case.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MarcusSA posted:

Sure but then they will just steal the whole case.

Yeah, but then the airport has to deal with all the bullshit paperwork for 'there is now an unsecured, stolen gun on airport property', which isn't something they like. All it stops is casual 'that looks expensive, I wonder what's in it', since everyone who deals with luggage has a TSA lock key set from aliexpress if they plan on stealing. If they're gonna divert the entire hard sided case into a company truck, you're still hosed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

worrying about your bags getting stolen on a commercial flight is a little bit like worrying about trichinosis in your pork. you probably had a valid concern 50 years ago, but process, procedure, and oversight has gotten so good that both problems have functionally been eradicated. the entire luggage pipeline is heavily monitored and tracked because if you can steal a bag from any point in that pipeline, you can probably also slip a bomb in that same bag.

that's kinda why i said messing around to use high-sec containers and locks is really just inconveniencing yourself. your bags are plenty safe normally, and high-sec kit isn't gonna stop any LEO. the whole "we can't open it unless you are present" thing cuts both ways - they will hold the bag hostage until you come to collect it, at which point they will open it. since you are there anyway, then they will slap cuffs on you if there's something in it they don't like.

and in the 99.999% chance that nothing happens, you're just lugging around something twice as big and heavy as you actually need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I work at a major airport and bags get stolen all the time. Things also go missing from bags all the time.

If someone really wanted to slip a bomb in a bag they absolutely could. All of the baggage handlers know exactly where the camera dead spots are and they can get in and out of a bag pretty drat fast.

They already do it with drugs :shrug:

Don’t pack an anything you really care about.

It’s cheaper for the airline to every so often pay someone $2k for a lost bag than to actually increase security.