Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I've always thought they should go back and do cards that "deserve it" that never got it. Like fable of the mirror breaker, or scute swarm.

Actually, I thought the scute swarm thing would be cute, but it occurs to me that scute swarm copying itself a thousand times triggering a thousand animations would probably crash most clients.

But as long as the most frequently played cards only have short animations, 1-2 seconds tops especially for cheaper stuff like fable, definitely go back and do them. And yeah, commanders too, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

i'll never be satisfied until i get an animation for my errant, street artist commander

edit: i'd be ok with an animation for jetmir

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MikeCrotch posted:

If you want to get good when watching other people draft, the best way is to pause before each pick or game decision, go "what would I do here" and see what the streamer does. If it differs from what you would do, try and work out why.

Also people's style can be different and that's fine. I'm a pretty aggressive player and so like Chord o Calls a lot, whereas other people can be a bit durdly for me (though I got a trophy with a UB control deck this set which I am proud of lol)

This is definitely a key point. I usually find I'm just better at running aggro than I am at control, at the point where I have to make very long term high impact decisions or run graveyard loops or whatever i tend to throw just because my brain doesn't work that deep, whereas combat maths and removal i can mostly do (though I definitely need more patience) - so I struggle with the 5C soup decks.

I've really struggled to engage with this set at all tbh, my win rate is pretty poor and in particular my trophy rate has been WOEful (:vv:), and I'm only sitting on like 500 gems at this point, so I'm dubious whether I'll even get up to the next mastery pass in time to find otu if i like the next set or not.

I really wish all sets were like MoM, that was my best by far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought it was funny that they took the time to go back and add animations to the New Capenna triomes like a month after the set released

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

lol @ the latest maro spoilers for ixalan

“When there are 1,000 or more time counters on CARDNAME, sacrifice it and each opponent loses 1,000 life.” —

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did they gently caress up the midweek event again? They have never had one that's ranked before.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bugsy posted:

Did they gently caress up the midweek event again? They have never had one that's ranked before.

it's supposedly showing off deck metas used on the ladder, so it makes sense to have it be ranked as well. still an interesting decision given that A) these decks are nowhere near constructed strength, and B) some of them seem fairly obviously more powerful than others

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why does the store page have a little disclaimer about the My Little Pony extra life thing? Doesn't look like they're selling an arena version, I don't think they do acorn cards at all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh neat I can squeeze into diamond by grinding noobs in the midweek event

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

it should not take 30 minutes to open your rewards. It should take 1 second tops for the pack to open. Or add an option to disable the fancy animation

It's not some big ask.

Being realistic your Small Ask will never get done. Hell it took like 4 years to even get this game running on mobile.

Don't beg others for quality of life, take quality of life into your own hands. I made RSI-reducing scripts and macros for this, Warframe, Path of Exile, Cyberpunk... think of it like a minigame where you clean up a dev's accessibility negligence.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bugsy posted:

Alchemy is such a weird format. It's neat to play the LoTR cards at least.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
MWM: UW Control is really strong and probably the best. 5C Legends can really pop off. Has an infinite combo with Boromir, Elias il-Kor, and Ratadabrik that you can fish for or luck your way into with Crucias, Jodah, and Djeru triggers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kalel posted:

oh neat I can squeeze into diamond by grinding noobs in the midweek event

That's what I did for the past couple hours. UW Control and go. An astonishing number of concessions at the first instance of interaction.

The only thing that well and truly gave me problems (somehow) was the Equipment deck, but I think it's because the only permanent answers UW has are counters (and you need to counter so, so much) or Sunfall, and even that only seems to delay things. Like I was doing fine with everything else, but I hit a stretch of something like 4 Boros decks in the last tier of Plat and ended up having to climb back through it again. Still ended up getting Diamond, and I might try a little bit of that tomorrow, but as it is, this is my highest constructed rank in months.

Thanks, random WotC dev that decided this was a good idea!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

That's what I did for the past couple hours. UW Control and go. An astonishing number of concessions at the first instance of interaction.

hell yeah

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

rickiep00h posted:

The only thing that well and truly gave me problems (somehow) was the Equipment deck, but I think it's because the only permanent answers UW has are counters (and you need to counter so, so much) or Sunfall, and even that only seems to delay things. Like I was doing fine with everything else, but I hit a stretch of something like 4 Boros decks in the last tier of Plat and ended up having to climb back through it again. Still ended up getting Diamond, and I might try a little bit of that tomorrow, but as it is, this is my highest constructed rank in months.

Thanks, random WotC dev that decided this was a good idea!
That's really funny because the equipment deck is complete trash but I can see how its slow clunky rear end somehow lines up well against control

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
I tried each deck once so far and when I picked the UW deck I got matched up with red/black aggro deck that completely blew me out of the water, so I didn't try that one again. 5C Legends was doing really well, though. I do wonder if it could carry me to Platinum. I'm in Gold 3 right now.

Also, I did a ONE quick draft and I feel like I got a good selection cards and won my first two matches, but they were both a bit tense so I'm open on advice on the deck (and the draft itself if you're curious). Deck's here https://www.17lands.com/deck/13d8ea4da20b457db1ed3b4ddbc86b35/2

The way I envisioned the deck playing out was being able to contest the early board and pressure my opponent with toxic, stall it out midgame while slowly grinding down my opponent's health/board, and then eventually overwhelming them in the late game (but not too late). It worked out that way in the first two matches going 11 rounds, but I also got really lucky and had a starting hand with a land for all 3 colors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zero VGS posted:

Being realistic your Small Ask will never get done. Hell it took like 4 years to even get this game running on mobile.

Don't beg others for quality of life, take quality of life into your own hands. I made RSI-reducing scripts and macros for this, Warframe, Path of Exile, Cyberpunk... think of it like a minigame where you clean up a dev's accessibility negligence.
they just changed the pack opening animation for wilds of eldraine, what are you even talking about. They literally made it worse! recently!

And I should not be expected to script my own way out of a game's bad design decisions. Seriously what is going through your head to tangle yourself in knots to defend bad design. It's okay for people to complain about bad game design choices, even if it's small or inconsequential to you!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I went 2-3 in my only ONE quick draft so far so I can hardly claim to be an expert. But that seems like too many taplands to reliably contest the early game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

cgeq posted:

I tried each deck once so far and when I picked the UW deck I got matched up with red/black aggro deck that completely blew me out of the water, so I didn't try that one again. 5C Legends was doing really well, though. I do wonder if it could carry me to Platinum. I'm in Gold 3 right now.

Also, I did a ONE quick draft and I feel like I got a good selection cards and won my first two matches, but they were both a bit tense so I'm open on advice on the deck (and the draft itself if you're curious). Deck's here https://www.17lands.com/deck/13d8ea4da20b457db1ed3b4ddbc86b35/2

The way I envisioned the deck playing out was being able to contest the early board and pressure my opponent with toxic, stall it out midgame while slowly grinding down my opponent's health/board, and then eventually overwhelming them in the late game (but not too late). It worked out that way in the first two matches going 11 rounds, but I also got really lucky and had a starting hand with a land for all 3 colors.

That is the most chaotic ONE deck I ever saw lol, I'm glad it worked out for you but oof does it look shaky. Three colors and 4 taplands are a horrible idea in a format that needs you to not stumble in the first few turns, you will get absolutely eaten alive the moment you face a competently built BW toxic or RG aggro deck.

First of all, don't splash for Axiom Engraver (never splash for 2drops in general unless they are extremely good late) or Blazing Crescendo (not worth a splash anyway). Volt Charge and Chimney Rabble are defensible, but while the latter is a very, very good card in ONE, you really want this to come down on T4 and swing, while you might only be able to cast it on T5, 6 and then it's too late for it to have much impact. Volt Charge is always good, so that's the best splash.

The Phyrexian Atlas' are also not good in a format where you need to get on board fast and assertively. Yes, they can ramp you to your great 5drops, but no, that shouldn't be a main plan. With the red cut down, they are useless for you. If you want to keep the R splash (you kinda have to, your cards aren't quite there otherwise), just play the Prism instead, the Convert + a mountain (Vorrac can help find it) and you're good.

You'll probably never corrupt anybody with your set of cards, by the way, so the life loss will never happen.

Play both Cultivators, they block very well and can ramp you to your expensive stuff (skipping a single turn once is great already). Titanic Growth can help you steal games, I'd just play it. Vanish Into Eternity sucks, but it's better than nothing. Again, you won't Corrupt people, but Zealot's Conviction iirc wasn't that bad even without that bonus, you might think about using one. Finally, Custodians and Helm are terrible but at least they can block some early aggressors (not the best ones - that's why Rabble, Mantis etc. are so good). Much better than a mana rock you never want to tap out for on turn 3. And they can also help you smooth your draws.

All the taplands out. Every single one.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Why does the store page have a little disclaimer about the My Little Pony extra life thing? Doesn't look like they're selling an arena version, I don't think they do acorn cards at all.

There are some MYP sleeves they sell on occasion for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Man, are they really not doing a premier draft of the original Ixalan set ahead of Caverns dropping? I assumed that was standard when we got the Eldraine one.

I continue to be bewildered by how unnecessarily difficult they make collecting older sets by only doing one or two flashback drafts a year. Feels pretty clear from the game data no one is playing formats with older cards, almost certainly in part because the bar of entry is so, so expensive.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Man, are they really not doing a premier draft of the original Ixalan set ahead of Caverns dropping? I assumed that was standard when we got the Eldraine one.

I continue to be bewildered by how unnecessarily difficult they make collecting older sets by only doing one or two flashback drafts a year. Feels pretty clear from the game data no one is playing formats with older cards, almost certainly in part because the bar of entry is so, so expensive.

They're doing you a favour by not letting you commit self-harm by doing Ixalan draft.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I've always thought they should go back and do cards that "deserve it" that never got it. Like fable of the mirror breaker, or scute swarm.

Actually, I thought the scute swarm thing would be cute, but it occurs to me that scute swarm copying itself a thousand times triggering a thousand animations would probably crash most clients.

But as long as the most frequently played cards only have short animations, 1-2 seconds tops especially for cheaper stuff like fable, definitely go back and do them. And yeah, commanders too, for sure.

Nothing that is designed to be a token should have an animation. I haven't seen multiple zombies w/ Decayed in a long time, I can't remember is they run concurrently or consecutively, but I remember that one being annoying as hell. Fully disabling animations for tokens in general might be the best idea - even for edge cases like reanimator decks using Mirror Box.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Midweek Madness - or how to lose rank by getting mana starved with a deck you can't change

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Simply Simon posted:

That's really funny because the equipment deck is complete trash but I can see how its slow clunky rear end somehow lines up well against control

Yeah it's really that. The board state just keeps getting more and more dense. Farewell would have been great over Sunfall in that matchup, but that's not the format.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Yeah it's really that. The board state just keeps getting more and more dense. Farewell would have been great over Sunfall in that matchup, but that's not the format.

farewell ain't legal in alchemy bucko

*unless you were referring to "the format" as the 5-deck event specifically

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jakosa posted:

Midweek Madness - or how to lose rank by getting mana starved with a deck you can't change

MWM events don't affect your rank?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

This one does

Also, I don't understand how or why, but playing the UW control deck in the event, I got paired against what seemed to be a monoW control deck that's not on the list. I have no idea how that happened.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Flowers For Algeria posted:

This one does

Also, I don't understand how or why, but playing the UW control deck in the event, I got paired against what seemed to be a monoW control deck that's not on the list. I have no idea how that happened.

The event puts you on the actual ladder, lol.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kalel posted:

farewell ain't legal in alchemy bucko

*unless you were referring to "the format" as the 5-deck event specifically

Indeed it is not in the Alchemy format.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

got some chores tonight posted:

oooooh

So the MonoB deck that rinsed me was not just a Golgari deck that can play like a MonoB deck

Wow that's idiotic haha, I don't like being the guy who's all negative, but this seems ill-advised from the get-go. The decks aren't remotely balanced against each other, perhaps with an exception of equipment being good against control, but against the free for all Alchemy ladder? That's insane.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Simply Simon posted:

oooooh

So the MonoB deck that rinsed me was not just a Golgari deck that can play like a MonoB deck

Wow that's idiotic haha, I don't like being the guy who's all negative, but this seems ill-advised from the get-go. The decks aren't remotely balanced against each other, perhaps with an exception of equipment being good against control, but against the free for all Alchemy ladder? That's insane.

The cynical would say it's to artificially boost Alchemy's player count to justify its continued experience (and the associated employee-hours to design and implement the cards).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This feels like another ONE draft that didn't quite get there, anyone mind taking a look at my pool and telling me how I've misbuilt the deck?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

This feels like another ONE draft that didn't quite get there, anyone mind taking a look at my pool and telling me how I've misbuilt the deck?

I think it looks fine, you should have enough Toxic to make the payoffs worth it. Specifically Slaughter Singer. Incisor Glider, fortunately, is good even if you don't get Corrupted going. However, this assumes that you're playing both Dune Movers, which imo you should. They are pretty good!

I'd cut:
- Sinew Dancer (wouldn't depend too hard on it working)
- Ichorspit Basilisk (just a mopey card, despite having Toxic)
- Vanish Into Eternity (you don't really have much removal, but this won't help you push through early, so...just cut it imo)

Final addition: Charge of the Mites should be worth it. I'd also consider dropping a land and adding Titanic Growth, which will allow you to attack more aggressively. Your curve should be fine with 16, also you got the Cultivators to help you push into 4-drop territory with just 3 lands.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

You'll probably never corrupt anybody with your set of cards, by the way, so the life loss will never happen.

Aw, Phyrexian Atlas after corrupting people was MVP first two games, but thanks for looking it over and the advice. I'll make some adjustements accordingly and give it a spin!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

got some chores tonight posted:

Wait what the gently caress lmao

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
lol yeah this MWM very bad, i slapped together an alchemy RDW to go on the ladder and steal wins. i consider myself a humanitarian for making alchemy less appealing to casual players. i didn't want to craft cards for this but it would be better with 4x battlefield forge and 4x scoundrel

Deck
1 Shivan Devastator (DMU) 143
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
4 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
1 Charming Scoundrel (WOE) 124
2 Feldon, Ronom Excavator (BRO) 135
4 Imodane's Recruiter (WOE) 229
2 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
3 Goddric, Cloaked Reveler (WOE) 132
4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
4 Raging Battle Mouse (WOE) 143
4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
1 Twisted Fealty (WOE) 154
17 Mountain (SLD) 1402
2 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Mishra's Foundry (BRO) 265
1 Stoke the Flames (MOM) 166
4 Mishra's Research Desk (BRO) 162

palamedes fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 25, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I got into a MWM Golgari mirror match. What a thrilling game, I used my Mosswood Dreadknight to get ahead on card advantage but then flooded out. Both sides just removing/killing everything for 10 straight turns. They drew Virtue of Persistence first. GG.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Simply Simon posted:

I think it looks fine, you should have enough Toxic to make the payoffs worth it. Specifically Slaughter Singer. Incisor Glider, fortunately, is good even if you don't get Corrupted going. However, this assumes that you're playing both Dune Movers, which imo you should. They are pretty good!

I'd cut:
- Sinew Dancer (wouldn't depend too hard on it working)
- Ichorspit Basilisk (just a mopey card, despite having Toxic)
- Vanish Into Eternity (you don't really have much removal, but this won't help you push through early, so...just cut it imo)

Final addition: Charge of the Mites should be worth it. I'd also consider dropping a land and adding Titanic Growth, which will allow you to attack more aggressively. Your curve should be fine with 16, also you got the Cultivators to help you push into 4-drop territory with just 3 lands.

Thanks for the help! I think your build was an improvement. I went 2-3 again. Lost one game to a misplay, won 2 just running my opponents over with quick aggro, and lost two by getting into a board stall and not having anything to break parity before my opponents found their own way through. It felt like this deck needed some card draw, some more top end, or likely both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Which rear end in a top hat decided Boromir and Ratadrabik needed to be in the same deck? WotC needs to make those two mutually exclusive.