Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Israel is also the most useful state for developing security tech; having an open-air seaside prison & a shotgun blast of rigorously checkpointed enclaves full of people with no rights in Israel to experiment on gives them a lot of flexibility and novel R&D. US police are trained in Israeli tactics, use equipment made in Israel, the stupid fake karate that was popular in the late aughts is Israeli, etc.

It's not the main reason to keep Israel around, but it's certainly a bulletpoint in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

al mayadeen is not necessarily a reliable source for details, as one can perhaps expect from the martyrdom language

as usual, i'm not really equipped to evaluate their alleged primary sources or their translated takes; qadura fares does seem to unofficially involved with Fatah's treaty-mandated prison oversight but his position also rapidly gets weird and confusing

i think i saw someone digging into al mayadeen a bit earlier but I don't have it to hand

I did; they’re a disinformation mediator with deliberately opaque funding. We’re generally the target demo for their English language material.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yeah at the very least the U.S. seems to get a lot out of its relationship with Israel, what that is I really don't understand exactly (weapons I guess), but its enough to support genocide and ethnic cleansing over it.

Cold War stuff. Despite the US's best efforts to win them over, the Arab countries ultimately leaned a bit more in the Soviet direction in the Cold War. Meanwhile Israel already leaned toward NATO, as it didn't get along that well with Stalin and had strong ties to Britain and France. So the US adopted Israel as a counterbalance to increasing Soviet influence in the region via the Arab states. Moreover, supporting Israel was popular domestically.

As for why Israel was so close to Britain and France, the two countries (especially France) were desperately trying to hold onto pieces of their colonial empires, or at least retain control of their economic interests and political influence in their ex-empires. Arab nationalists tended to oppose those efforts, seeking to throw off the chains of empire and attain full independence and sovereignty over their own territories. Britain and France thought that Israel, which already had a hostile relationship with the Arab states, would be a natural partner in restraining Arab nationalism, with Israel accepting large amounts of economic and military aid in return for being a willing local partner for any pressure those countries wished to put on Israel's neighbors. Ultimately, this relationship broke down as the European countries were forced to give up on their remaining interests in the region, but by then the larger Cold War situation had drawn the US in.

Why is that Cold War alliance still surviving to the current day? Well, why not? It's got domestic support, so the US isn't going to break it off without a very good reason. And unfortunately, "indiscriminately carpet-bombing civilian areas and claiming it's necessary to defeat Arab insurgents" isn't likely to be particularly offensive to Americans, who've spent the last twenty years listening to our own government justify doing basically the exact same poo poo in Afghanistan, Iraq, and whereever else we felt like.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yeah at the very least the U.S. seems to get a lot out of its relationship with Israel, what that is I really don't understand exactly (weapons I guess), but its enough to support genocide and ethnic cleansing over it.

Outside of the other things suggested, we use Israel a lot as a focal point for talks with various powers in the region these days. Israeli/Egyptian relations are good. Israeli/Turkey relations are very positive. Israeli/Saudi relations are being developed. Israeli/Jordan relations are good. Having a secondary voice in the region is huge.

We've also used Israel as a staging ground for getting funding/supplies to various factions in the region. The United States can't officially support certain groups, but Israel is in a psuedo state with many of the nations of the region. A LOT of support that goes to the Kurds is funneled through Israeli NGOs for example. What's Iran going to do, get more pissed off at Israel? Israeli/Turkey relations are also a really good way to twist Edrogans arm, see him cooling down dramatically over Cyprus due to Israel working out a deal over Leviathan. We also have used Israel in the past to help prop up Egypt a bit without having to officially play world police.

Israel gives the US both hard and soft power in the region, and a staging ground for basically everything you can think of. Losing Israel would basically swap the balance of power dramatically in Iran's favor, which would likely over time to lead to serious issues in Egypt/Jordan/Turkey/most of North Africa.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

And unfortunately, "indiscriminately carpet-bombing civilian areas and claiming it's necessary to defeat Arab insurgents" isn't likely to be particularly offensive to Americans, who've spent the last twenty years listening to our own government justify doing basically the exact same poo poo in Afghanistan, Iraq, and whereever else we felt like.

For what it's worth, the protests erupting around the country have been massive, sending aid to Gaza has higher support than sending weapons to Israel, and calling for a ceasefire has massive majority support.

All of which would be great, if the US were a democracy.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The hospital bombers is a pointless investigation. Israel issued warnings they were going to do it and to evacuate. If I were to call a bomb threat I’d be prosecuted for it. Israel is no different. My point really was that the adults in charge there ignored the warnings and let people assemble en masse instead of taking the tyrants serious on their threats. Instead they effectively martyr those civilians. The old world might look fondly on martyrs, but the new world doesn’t. Look, I understand making that call is not an easy one to make and not everyone is capable of doing so. Most people don’t understand how they will react in a crisis until they’re in one, no amount of preparation can prepare one other than crisis itself. Israel is going to attack the other hospitals. It’s coming. Call it callous all you want, I don’t believe in martyrs being beneficial and that’s how I see it. Live another day in the greatest numbers you can keep given the immediate situation at hand.

Hello I'm a practicing physician in a level 2 NICU and delivery hospital. In my medical residency I participated in disaster response planning for my institution. Frankly it is a *giant logistical nightmare* to evacuate a hospital even with all the resources of the first world and ample time to plan. If you want to read more about this, check out Five Days at Memorial, which details what happened to the patients and staff that were left behind to weather out Hurricane Katrina because they could not be moved.

Let's take an example: premature infants might be on a ventilator that breathes for them, for days or weeks on end. These are mains-powered with a very short battery backup. To get one of these kids somewhere else you'll need a transport ventilator and likely a specialized neonatal transport rig (would bet money none exist in Gaza right now). I've taken care of patients who decompensate when they're jostled or touched wrong. Now you're throwing them on to an ambulance (assuming there are still ambulances that are not bombed out, and have fuel, and have roads to travel on, and have a destination to go to, etc etc). Moving them doesn't just happen because an internet poster says it's a good idea.

OK, so how about we move only the non-critically ill patients. OK. How do they get to where they're going, when ambulances have been targeted, and roads have been bombed to pieces? Where are they going? Who's going to take care of them once they get there? Medical resources have been stretched to the breaking point already. We've already seen scores of doctors and nurses killed in air strikes and by snipers. It's absolutely galling that people are giving their lives to fulfill their duty to their patients and their motivations are being dragged through the mud by some dipshit sitting comfortably behind their computer. You need to shut the gently caress up because you have no idea what you're talking about. I'll take my probe thanks.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 5, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

mannerup posted:

the primary event for that link between Israel, Britain and France was the Suez Canal crisis where Egypt's Nasser nationalized the UK/France joint venture overseeing the canal making him a pan-Arab hero while it was the watershed moment for the UK's decline as a colonial power

always found Nasser one of the most fascinating political figures of the 20th century that gets seldom mentioned in the West

Without passing any judgment on whether he was Good, Actually or History's Greatest Monster, Nasser is indeed a fascinating figure. Post-Cold War discussion kind of forgets how vital Egypt was to the old and new powers in the middle of the century. And it's an under-examined counterfactual of how things would look today if he'd been more successful with the UAR.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Shageletic posted:

And guess what? They have segregated loving schools. They reinvented American segregation. Here's a paper about it.

I don't think many people here care about this but just to clear up some stuff about the education system.

The Israeli school system is completely split up into four. Secular, orthodox, ultra orthodox and Arab. In the Arab one classes are taught in Arabic and the rest is in Hebrew.

A parent can choose which one their child will go to, though obviously for logistical reasons and social reasons an Arab child will likely go to an Arab school. So the segregation isn't enforced by law as much as it is discrimination. Even in mixed towns like Haifa having Arab students in secular schools is rare. I assume it is difficult language-wise, and that students can face racism.

There are a few mixed schools that teach in both languages but they are rare.

As far as the quality of schooling, there is definite discrimination. Though the Christian Arab schools, in contrast to the Muslim ones, are often considered the best in the country (at least as far as grades and such are concerned). I don't really know it too well.

In universities everything is mixed but people mostly stick to their cliques, speaking their native language. My university was like 20-25% Arabs but in most courses you could see that people usually stuck to the own group. There are groups that are more integrated into Israeli society like the Druze, Bedouin and the ex South Lebanon folk.

I think this separation is one of the "original sins" of Israel (it also effects splits inside Jewish society). It is not segregation by law, but segregation by societal pressure, discrimination and momentum.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fish Cake posted:

Hello I'm a practicing physician in a level 2 NICU and delivery hospital. In my medical residency I participated in disaster response planning for my institution. Frankly it is a *giant logistical nightmare* to evacuate a hospital even with all the resources of the first world and ample time to plan. If you want to read more about this, check out Five Days at Memorial, which details what happened to the patients and staff that were left behind to weather out Hurricane Katrina because they could not be moved.

Let's take an example: premature infants might be on a ventilator that breathes for them, for days or weeks on end. These are mains-powered with a very short battery backup. To get one of these kids somewhere else you'll need a transport ventilator and likely a specialized neonatal transport rig (would bet money none exist in Gaza right now). I've taken care of patients who decompensate when they're jostled or touched wrong. Now you're throwing them on to an ambulance (assuming there are still ambulances that are not bombed out, and have fuel, and have roads to travel on, and have a destination to go to, etc etc). Moving them doesn't just happen because an internet poster says it's a good idea.

OK, so how about we move only the non-critically ill patients. OK. How do they get to where they're going, when ambulances have been targeted, and roads have been bombed to pieces? Where are they going? Who's going to take care of them once they get there? Medical resources have been stretched to the breaking point already. We've already seen scores of doctors and nurses killed in air strikes and by snipers. It's absolutely galling that people are giving their lives to fulfill their duty to their patients and their motivations are being dragged through the mud by some dipshit sitting comfortably behind their computer. You need to shut the gently caress up because you have no idea what you're talking about. I'll take my probe thanks.

Thank you for this and taking the time to put in words what flashed through my brain (along with revulsion) when reading that idiot's post.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Carmant posted:

These things can change under the right circumstances. Which is really the only option because the idea that Israeli is going to "eradicate Hamas" is nonsense.

I'm sure they can change under the right circumstances but do you believe a movement founded to destroy Israel that's largely an Iranian proxy that wants to create a fundamentalist Islamic State is going to have a moment of clarity?

Carmant posted:

I don't see a third option, so which of these would you prefer is the question?

A third option, would be for Israel, United States along with the rest of the West to persuade other Arabic governments that Hamas must release hostages and step down no longer governing the Gaza Strip. Of course, this is a huge long shot and incredibly unlikely to occur.

I said come in! posted:

What about it do you not agree with? It lines up with this article from the New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/23/us/politics/israel-us-gaza-invasion.html which mentions that the State Department does not think Israeli's goals are achievable.

It doesn't line up at all. The tweet you shared outlines an all out conflict with neighboring countries while the NY Times article states that the US Military doesn't believe Israel is able to meet their objectives when invading the Gaza Strip. Those are two completely different things.

Even then, she's terribly wrong because well Israel has a modern military with a decent air force whereas no one else really does. Granted, if Iran got involved this would certainly get bad but it'd end up in a stalemate before any kind of defeat. They are also rumored to have nukes too :ssh:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Marenghi posted:

Per my post, "The IRA carried out random, sectarian killings"

They did. What's your point? As said I, IRA did use violence but it at the least tried to avoid killing innocents. Hamas does not do that to the point where they literally target innocents on purpose.

They are two different groups and using it as analogy to Hamas isn't one that works well.

Marenghi posted:

At the moment, but in a years time how will it go. The initial commentary from the attack it seems Israeli's no longer believe their security barrier is impenetrable. They really seemed to be a sense that they had contained Gaza for all time. An advanced tech driven barrier they couldn't cross, and the iron dome containing their rockets. Now they are not so invincible.

If they cannot entirely contain Gaza there's only two other options. Fully ethnically cleanse Palestinians from the area by mass deportation, or find a solution which removes the need for violence on Palestine's part, i.e. a peaceful resolution.

The other option would be to petition Arabic governments that Hamas need to step down as the official government of Gaza. They have legitimacy unlike well... anyone else in the entire region.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Given the choice between a 100% chance of your culture being destroyed slowly, or a 99% of chance of faster destruction but a 1% chance of finding a way out, I can see why the latter option might be more appealing.

The Palestinians are in no doubt a minority that is oppressed with little way out or support but there's also no way shooting up a bunch of random twenty something at a rave is going to give a potential 1% chance at freedom.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Discendo Vox posted:

I did; they’re a disinformation mediator with deliberately opaque funding. We’re generally the target demo for their English language material.

I guess I'll just take your word for it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

A third option, would be for Israel, United States along with the rest of the West to persuade other Arabic governments that Hamas must release hostages and step down no longer governing the Gaza Strip. Of course, this is a huge long shot and incredibly unlikely to occur.

That's not a third option; that's just the ethnic cleansing one with an added middle step to pretend it isn't.

We already know what happens to Palestinians who are not governed by Hamas, they also get ethnically cleansed, but in a way that is easier for the world to ignore.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shageletic posted:

Hard to see how a one state solution is possible

Surely no one actually believes it possible? I thought all these arguments for peaceful "solutions" itt were just thought excercises.

There is no solution anymore. 1300 dead israelis = no beneficial outcome for Palestine anymore in our lifetimes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good points made in this thread on the subject of Gazan casualty numbers:

https://x.com/christapeterso/status/1717040903158976633?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's not a third option; that's just the ethnic cleansing one with an added middle step to pretend it isn't.

Why?

This whole conflict is happening under the context of Israel normalizing relations with Saudi Arabi. While not confirmed, it was largely rumored that the Palestinians would get something out of the whole deal. If they did, that is a threat to Hamas because it means there is a potential path to peace without conflict. Because without conflict, there's no need for Hamas.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

They're joining Channel 4, AJE, and preliminary findings for Forensic Architecture in ruling out a misfired rocket.

They absolutely did not "rule out" a misfired rocket.

quote:

The Times’s finding does not answer what actually did cause the Al-Ahli Arab hospital blast, or who is responsible. The contention by Israeli and American intelligence agencies that a failed Palestinian rocket launch is to blame remains plausible. But the Times analysis does cast doubt on one of the most-publicized pieces of evidence that Israeli officials have used to make their case and complicates the straightforward narrative they have put forth.

quote:

Israeli officials and Palestinian militants blame each other for the Al-Ahli Arab explosion. Multiple videos assembled and analyzed by The Times show that militants were firing dozens of rockets from southwest of the hospital minutes before the blast, and the fiery explosion at the hospital is consistent with a failed rocket falling well short of its target with unspent fuel.

quote:

Moreover, the crater left from the impact was relatively small, a fact that Israel has cited in arguing that none of its munitions caused the blast, and could be consistent with a number of different munitions. Hamas has not produced a remnant of an Israeli munition or any physical evidence to back up its claim that Israel is responsible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/24/world/middleeast/gaza-hospital-israel-hamas-video.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Being pro Israel is maintaining that Palestinians militants killed 1/20 of the civilians that Israel has so far and that makes them worse.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Why?

This whole conflict is happening under the context of Israel normalizing relations with Saudi Arabi. While not confirmed, it was largely rumored that the Palestinians would get something out of the whole deal. If they did, that is a threat to Hamas because it means there is a potential path to peace without conflict. Because without conflict, there's no need for Hamas.

Because Palestinians never get anything out of such deals without having to pay more than they get in turn; you can observe this as literally most such deals since Bibi took power decades ago. Hamas has nothing to do with the West Bank, and yet the process of 'peace' is working so very well there, isn't it? No, its just picking how fast you'd like your ethnic cleansing to go, is all, and this removed the option to keep it quiet like it has been.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They did. What's your point? As said I, IRA did use violence but it at the least tried to avoid killing innocents. Hamas does not do that to the point where they literally target innocents on purpose.

How does the IRA having at one point used violence directly targeting innocent civilians on the basis of their religion in any way demonstrate they tried to avoid killing innocents. It was a tactic that fell to the wayside as it did more harm than good with the wider war for hearts and minds. But it did happen early during the armed campaign.

Hamas claims they don't intentionally target innocents. They make a differentiation between civilians and settlers. Given that some settlements did have armed defensive groups, there would be a difference between unarmed civilians and armed 'civilians'.

Also the child causalities from the Al-Aqsa Flood is a couple dozen at most. Current child causalities from the Israeli bombardment is couple thousand. One side is killing exponentially more innocents than the other.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What were they rumored to get?

Netanyahu rejected any concessions to the Palestinian Government with regard to a settlement freeze as part of normalizing relations. It looked like Palestine was getting jack poo poo out of that.
Palestine are set to lose occupied East Jerusalem since Trump provisionally accepted that as Israel land through opening a US consulate there. And they looked set to lose out on regional support with Israel gaining normalized relations in exchange for zero concessions to Palestine.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 25, 2023

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

While we're in fantasy land, you forgot the option where the Israeli government steps down under threat of massive international sanctions and Palestine is freed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zzulu posted:

Surely no one actually believes it possible? I thought all these arguments for peaceful "solutions" itt were just thought excercises.

There is no solution anymore. 1300 dead israelis = no beneficial outcome for Palestine anymore in our lifetimes.

Are you laboring under the belief that that wasn’t the case beforehand?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Why?

A "largely rumored" "something" is not a material concession.

No peace deal under Likud has ever resulted in any progress for Palestinians, and if this was one that was going to be somehow different, you'd think you'd be able to name the terms at play.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Because they were negotiating on their own or with Arabs looking to exterminate Israel behind their back. Normalized relations with Arab nations had a viable different outcome. Had.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Because they were negotiating on their own or with Arabs looking to exterminate Israel behind their back. Normalized relations with Arab nations had a viable different outcome. Had.

The main reason Israel would bother trying to normalize relations is so it can exile more Palestinians to refugee camps to join the millions there, since that is safer than having to exterminate them in Gaza. As it stands, with poo poo relations, no one nearby is willing to give an inch on the matter, and that is now dead too for at least a while.

Also citation needed on these alleged backchannel negotiations here, when most of the countries nearby also are not fans of Hamas either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiminewt posted:

I don't think many people here care about this but just to clear up some stuff about the education system.

The Israeli school system is completely split up into four. Secular, orthodox, ultra orthodox and Arab. In the Arab one classes are taught in Arabic and the rest is in Hebrew.

A parent can choose which one their child will go to, though obviously for logistical reasons and social reasons an Arab child will likely go to an Arab school. So the segregation isn't enforced by law as much as it is discrimination. Even in mixed towns like Haifa having Arab students in secular schools is rare. I assume it is difficult language-wise, and that students can face racism.

There are a few mixed schools that teach in both languages but they are rare.

As far as the quality of schooling, there is definite discrimination. Though the Christian Arab schools, in contrast to the Muslim ones, are often considered the best in the country (at least as far as grades and such are concerned). I don't really know it too well.

In universities everything is mixed but people mostly stick to their cliques, speaking their native language. My university was like 20-25% Arabs but in most courses you could see that people usually stuck to the own group. There are groups that are more integrated into Israeli society like the Druze, Bedouin and the ex South Lebanon folk.

I think this separation is one of the "original sins" of Israel (it also effects splits inside Jewish society). It is not segregation by law, but segregation by societal pressure, discrimination and momentum.

Thanks for the added information. Everyone should care about this.

When you talk about Bedouins are you also talking about the ones in the Negev, most of whom live in cities and towns Israel, afaik, refuse to see as actual municipalities and regularly demolish? There's this one town I'm aware of that has apparently been demolished by the Israel army 185 times for example.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

luv 2 tell oppressed people that it's their fault they're getting genocided harder and they should've just let it happen

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Karatela posted:

The main reason Israel would bother trying to normalize relations is so it can exile more Palestinians to refugee camps to join the millions there, since that is safer than having to exterminate them in Gaza. As it stands, with poo poo relations, no one nearby is willing to give an inch on the matter, and that is now dead too for at least a while.

Also citation needed on these alleged backchannel negotiations here, when most of the countries nearby also are not fans of Hamas either.

Your pessimism might fit bibi himself, but he’s a democratically appointed person who was in the middle of a self implosion. To get internal voters and powers in Israel to support a stand down the existential threat of all their neighbors wanting to kill them needs to be addressed. That’s what normalizing relations can lead to in theory. None of it’s going to happen overnight like the bleeding hearts are always going to demand, but this was the strategy that was slowly moving along.

You’re correct, the neighbors don’t like Hamas for a variety of reasons. Hamas in charge also has no path to a peaceful two state outcome for Palestinians. Though while Israel was actively souring the situation in order to fortify rightist control within Israel, Palestinians also didn’t have a path towards replacing Hamas’ stranglehold with a moderating alternative.

People are correct to say Israel had to make change before Palestinians did and it’s not fair to point all the blame on them. What gets ignored in this simplistic view is Israelis themselves are the hated ethnic minority in the greater region, and not just because of their recent actions, thus addressing that greater region is needed before Israeli citizens have a chance at changing that.

With Turkey on the edge of trying to be European, Syria as dysfunctional, Lebanon as dysfunctional, Egypt dysfunctional, Saudi and UAE backing off incredibly, and Iraq on puppet strings there was a critical mass growing. Left with Iran being the hollow actor. Russia is too busy to get involved. China isn’t dumb enough to get involved. The Arab populaces have grown in the region of younger generations who aren’t as religious or resentful as the past. It might still have taken a decade and would have needed both moderates put in charge in both Israel and Palestine first. Saudi could have demanded Israel concessions for Hamas to lose their grip, to no loss to themselves obviously because they hate both sides, but they fund the region and want to take a leadership role.

Hamas saw the writing on the wall and their warhawks made sure peace isn’t possible. This is going to go on for another 50 years now if the US can’t carve out Mossad’s stranglehold. And even then, Hamas would have to step down, which is only happening via war if Arab moderators don’t step up.

Sources for Saudi/Israel normalization talks has been posted plenty.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The pessimism also stems from the fact that there had been moderate relations with the West Bank for a long while, and look how that's working out: the Palestinians losing land year after year.

Palestinians have a choice between a moderate leadership and a slow extermination or a radical leadership and fighting back.

e:

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

So you didn’t read the post and did exactly the shortsighted pitfall highlighted in it.

no I read the post just fine you're just wrong here

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

aBagorn posted:

The pessimism also stems from the fact that there had been moderate relations with the West Bank for a long while, and look how that's working out: the Palestinians losing land year after year.

Palestinians have a choice between a moderate leadership and a slow extermination or a radical leadership and fighting back.

So you didn’t read the post and did exactly the shortsighted pitfall highlighted in it.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Your pessimism might fit bibi himself, but he’s a democratically appointed person who was in the middle of a self implosion. To get internal voters and powers in Israel to support a stand down the existential threat of all their neighbors wanting to kill them needs to be addressed. That’s what normalizing relations can lead to in theory. None of it’s going to happen overnight like the bleeding hearts are always going to demand, but this was the strategy that was slowly moving along.

You’re correct, the neighbors don’t like Hamas for a variety of reasons. Hamas in charge also has no path to a peaceful two state outcome for Palestinians. Though while Israel was actively souring the situation in order to fortify rightist control within Israel, Palestinians also didn’t have a path towards replacing Hamas’ stranglehold with a moderating alternative.

People are correct to say Israel had to make change before Palestinians did and it’s not fair to point all the blame on them. What gets ignored in this simplistic view is Israelis themselves are the hated ethnic minority in the greater region, and not just because of their recent actions, thus addressing that greater region is needed before Israeli citizens have a chance at changing that.

With Turkey on the edge of trying to be European, Syria as dysfunctional, Lebanon as dysfunctional, Egypt dysfunctional, Saudi and UAE backing off incredibly, and Iraq on puppet strings there was a critical mass growing. Left with Iran being the hollow actor. Russia is too busy to get involved. China isn’t dumb enough to get involved. The Arab populaces have grown in the region of younger generations who aren’t as religious or resentful as the past. It might still have taken a decade and would have needed both moderates put in charge in both Israel and Palestine first. Saudi could have demanded Israel concessions for Hamas to lose their grip, to no loss to themselves obviously because they hate both sides, but they fund the region and want to take a leadership role.

Hamas saw the writing on the wall and their warhawks made sure peace isn’t possible. This is going to go on for another 50 years now if the US can’t carve out Mossad’s stranglehold. And even then, Hamas would have to step down, which is only happening via war if Arab moderators don’t step up.

Sources for Saudi/Israel normalization talks has been posted plenty.

Sometimes I start farting and I just can't stop. I'm farting and farting and pooping and it's coming out of my mouth. And the poopy farts are getting everywhere. I can't stop. I won't stop. I just keep farting.

Anyway, choke on your own poopy farts fascist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

What gets ignored in this simplistic view is Israelis themselves are the hated ethnic minority in the greater region, and not just because of their recent actions, thus addressing that greater region is needed before Israeli citizens have a chance at changing that.

No, Israelis are the hated ethnic minority in the greater region for the last 75+ years of their actions. You're correct, it's a complicated problem and it can't be fixed overnight--the original sins of 1948 cannot realistically be fixed at this point and the Arab world does need to make its peace with that, but Israel's treatment of Palestinians directly relates to and exacerbates that problem. You're essentially arguing that Israel can't afford to stop mistreating Palestinians until Israel's neighbors stop hating Israel for mistreating Palestinians. I would argue instead that Israel's security situation means they can't afford to not stop mistreating Palestinians.

The statements that just came out after Biden's call with MBS reinforce this; normalization isn't off the table, but it's not progressing until the bombs stop. Israel has chosen to sacrifice its standing in the greater region in favor of extracting its pound of flesh, so you can hardly claim it's justified in its actions by its precarious standing in the region.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I agree but I'd probably steer clear of using the phrase "pound of flesh"

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

No, Israelis are the hated ethnic minority in the greater region for the last 75+ years of their actions. You're correct, it's a complicated problem and it can't be fixed overnight--the original sins of 1948 cannot realistically be fixed at this point and the Arab world does need to make its peace with that, but Israel's treatment of Palestinians directly relates to and exacerbates that problem. You're essentially arguing that Israel can't afford to stop mistreating Palestinians until Israel's neighbors stop hating Israel for mistreating Palestinians. I would argue instead that Israel's security situation means they can't afford to not stop mistreating Palestinians.

The statements that just came out after Biden's call with MBS reinforce this; normalization isn't off the table, but it's not progressing until the bombs stop. Israel has chosen to sacrifice its standing in the greater region in favor of extracting its pound of flesh, so you can hardly claim it's justified in its actions by its precarious standing in the region.

Again, stop mischaracterizing my position. I’m saying there’s no incentive for a power change within Israel until the underlying fears that gives their bad actors power is changed or the enablers (Biden/US) stop enabling. Of course any individual can just stop and choose to be nice, but these are egomaniac leaders who don’t just have change of hearts and can’t just stop, someone more ruthless than them will step into their place if they try to back off without underlying changes. Pointing out this reality of how geopolitics works is not an endorsement to commit atrocities.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

NYTimes digital analysis is being shared right now, thread:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1717015483843576248

They're joining Channel 4, AJE, and preliminary findings for Forensic Architecture in ruling out a misfired rocket. They don't confidently say "Israel did this", but it's disqualifying the most publicized bit of evidence in Israel's favor short of the blatantly fake audio.

It's also the first major US news org I've seen acknowledge that Israel shelled the building prior...which feels like journalistic malpractice to be honest but at least it's there.

Doesn’t matter at this point. Just like the Palestinian Baby Beheading dream team, “HAMAS blew up their own hospital” has been shouted from every TV and the US government for so long and so loud it’s common knowledge held by the public at large.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

As a trial run, Israel could always agree to hand over the settlements to Palestinian administration with the promises the rights of the settlers are respected and see how that goes; or alternatively the tax income granted to the PA with the agreement of no more settlements and all the agreement that the land can no longer be traded or sold between Israeli citizens but only to citizens of the PA. There's lots of imaginative solutions where two separate states are maintained and they compromise over the disputed matters and kick the can down the road.

This is so much less realistic than a one-state solution. Any two-state solution would require the expulsion of the settlers they are there illegally to steal land. "The rights of the settlers are respected" what rights? They attack and kill Palestinians, destroy their infrastructure, and steal their homes whenever they please. They are the biggest psychopaths among the Israeli population they are the people who'd least accept being part of a Palestinian state.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Good points made in this thread on the subject of Gazan casualty numbers:

https://x.com/christapeterso/status/1717040903158976633?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

It raises good points about the overall numbers, but from what I see online, a lot of scepticism is implicitly more about who died and how they died. I saw people claim that when Gazan MoH says, for example, that three thousand Gazans died, what they don't tell you is that two thousand of those were actually active Hamas terrorists. Or that MoH says some people died in an Israeli strike, but really, you guessed it, it was a malfunctioning Palestinian rocket or even terrorists directly targeting disloyal population and then misattributing it to Israeli strikes. There is an obvious bias behind that sort of scepticism, though, and I don't think even if UN published their own similar numbers independently, it would completely dissuade people from that thinking. There are already tensions between Israel and UN that will probably result in more Israel supporters completely disregarding any data from international organisations.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-halts-un-staff-visas-as-officials-pan-guterress-truly-insane-hamas-remarks/

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Marenghi posted:

How does the IRA having at one point used violence directly targeting innocent civilians on the basis of their religion in any way demonstrate they tried to avoid killing innocents. It was a tactic that fell to the wayside as it did more harm than good with the wider war for hearts and minds. But it did happen early during the armed campaign.

I'm just going to post some figures from wiki for context

quote:

According to CAIN, the IRA was responsible for 1,705 deaths, about 48% of the total conflict deaths.[256] Of these, 1,009 (about 59%) were members or former members of the British security forces, while 508 (about 29%) were civilians.[257] According to Lost Lives, the IRA was responsible for 1,781 deaths, about 47% of the total conflict deaths.[258] Of these, 944 (about 53%) were members of the British security forces, while 644 (about 36%) were civilians (including 61 former members of the security forces).[258] The civilian figure also includes civilians employed by British security forces, politicians, members of the judiciary, and alleged criminals and informers.[258] Most of the remainder were loyalist or republican paramilitary members, including over 100 IRA members accidentally killed by their own bombs or shot for being security force agents or informers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paladinus posted:

It raises good points about the overall numbers, but from what I see online, a lot of scepticism is implicitly more about who died and how they died. I saw people claim that when Gazan MoH says, for example, that three thousand Gazans died, what they don't tell you is that two thousand of those were actually active Hamas terrorists. Or that MoH says some people died in an Israeli strike, but really, you guessed it, it was a malfunctioning Palestinian rocket or even terrorists directly targeting disloyal population and then misattributing it to Israeli strikes. There is an obvious bias behind that sort of scepticism, though, and I don't think even if UN published their own similar numbers independently, it would completely dissuade people from that thinking. There are already tensions between Israel and UN that will probably result in more Israel supporters completely disregarding any data from international organisations.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-halts-un-staff-visas-as-officials-pan-guterress-truly-insane-hamas-remarks/

None of that is skepticism it's pseudoskepticism. The overwhelming majority of deaths in every bombardment they've done have been civilians for obvious reasons. There's no evidence for the other examples.