Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

lmao, 15fps at 4k with a 4080 (and 5800x3d and 32gb RAM) with the autodetected high settings. This is beyond borked.

Luckily I can power through, I do get nice fps at 1080p (around 80-90) even with everything on high and decent fps (50-60) @1440p with a few settings turned down, but they HAVE to sort this out, it's just too egregious. Also everything shimmers, especially during the day/night cycling at dusk and dawn, when playing at non-native resolution - but even with some settings turned down, 4k is still choppy at around 20-30fps so I think I'd rather take some shimmer and disable day/night cycle while they fix this.

Because they're working 24h/7 to fix this right now, right? It's way, way too borked and steam reviews are horrifyingly low for this very reason apparently :ohdear: (e: they're not horrifyingly low anymore, just "middling", but still... people are pissed off and for good reason)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
To kind of change the topic a bit.

How is the gameplay and city building (also the visuals) compared to the first? Is it a step forward? For example, if the game didn't have the horrible optimization issues, do you think it probably would have gotten strong reviews? I liked CS 1, but there were elements that were difficult (road building, etc.). I've heard that this game does some really good things to make elements of city building much more streamlined and easy to learn for people like me who have a hard time with that kind of thing.

So basically, how is the game itself not taking into account the technical issues.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is no doubt in my mind it would be mostly positive on steam if it didn't run like arse. The road tools are a huge upgrade, just missing a few mine adjustments (being able to toggle zoning), and mechanically the game seems fine. The balance is a bit off with cash rewards early on and very little resistance to sprawling.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DaiJiaTeng posted:

How is the gameplay and city building (also the visuals) compared to the first? Is it a step forward? For example, if the game didn't have the horrible optimization issues, do you think it probably would have gotten strong reviews? I liked CS 1, but there were elements that were difficult (road building, etc.). I've heard that this game does some really good things to make elements of city building much more streamlined and easy to learn for people like me who have a hard time with that kind of thing.

So basically, how is the game itself not taking into account the technical issues.

Haven't played a ton of it yet because I spent half my time trying to make it look decent and not choppy :v: but what I've seen seems good. I'm by no means an expert, I just like making pretty dioramas, but the QoL things like having pipes and electric lines under roads both make a ton of sense and especially make early game much more tolerable. It was all too easy to forget laying pipework for a new neighborhood and then scrambling to fix it later, or having a few zones that refused to get connected to electricity for some reasons, not to mention the ugly unsightly pilons you had to lay down just to get electricity to one single place first, then it got auto-distributed :confused: Road management seem to be much better now too, easier to upgrade/modify roads and, finally, add roundabouts on the fly from tiny to huge! And not having to double down on elementary schools and fire stations like, 1 hour into the game is also great - your starter buildings have more capacity and actually take you to a proper city rather than having to build 3-4 of them before you can even unlock bigger versions. I like the government subsidies + cash infusions at milestones mechanic, it means you can actually buy stuff without worrying too much and still have money to spend even if you're not making cash hand over fist day-to-day, but it doesn't make it a cakewalk as the subsidies go down if you're actually making decent money and boy are big buildings pricey. The end result is it seems you always have just enough money to play with the next tier of buildings, rearranging of roads, new services or whatever it is you want to do without feeling like you can buy the biggest fire station ever and be done with it on year 1.

All in all, to my filthy casual gaming rear end that prefers a streamlined experience just like you, it seems like more of the same goodness of CS:1, with just a little bit of "extra stuff" but a lot more refined and easier to get into - though I hadn't modded CS1 at all so maybe for someone who's used to playing modded to the gills it might be a letdown instead?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 25, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This video is way more useful for how poo poo works than the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/BoZz06Etwm4?si=PpCbA_0bpF95MWb8

If anyone has any insight on why my dam is only putting out 1.4Mw when it said 21Mw on placement, let me know. I can’t figure it out. And I’m out of money because of it.

death cob for cutie posted:

is it like CS, where you need to wait for the water to build up behind the dam before it starts actually generating electricity

Concurred posted:

I only ever got dams to work in CS1 with water that had high flow; every time I tried to put a drat on a low flowing river it would produce no electricity and eventually turn into a lake. Some of the mountain maps had high spawning rivers that you could drat up, the highest I ever got was like 700MW

Edit: 1600MW

Funny enough I found this thread specifically to post about dams because I loved loving with the water in CS1 and I booted up a few maps to see if there was any viable hydropower after what I thought should be a ~200MW dam (as indicated at build) did the same thing, pumping out like, a max of 20MW. I went with infinite money and that and even dug basically what concurred shows, and no, dams are definitely just busted as gently caress right now and are always at like -99% efficiency because of "low water level" even if you allow the water to fill in behind it - and my original dam it took almost a year of game time because it was such a sizable reservoir. (So, 'volume behind the dam' isn't it.)

I honestly think whats happening is that the game might be calculating the dam's efficiency off of the height between the top/intakes and the height of the powerhouse (that little square building on the right that sticks out, if you're looking at the dam from downstream) but the game never lowers the powerhouse at all, in fact leaving it attached dutifully as high as possible and trying to bring terrain up to meet it. I'm going to do some more screwing with it to see if I can trick it to move at all, but I suspect its just busted.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I'm trying to build a subway and it makes me want to uninstall the game. Trying to make anything connect up underground is a loving nightmare

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tarnop posted:

I'm trying to build a subway and it makes me want to uninstall the game. Trying to make anything connect up underground is a loving nightmare

Just had the same experience.

Game feels like 6-12 months underbaked, but I still played a good amount today. There’s good bones and it is functional, but it’s not done.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You just have to guess at the elevation level until it decides you got the right number. Gameplay!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
CO posted an update regarding performance this morning, for those who haven't seen it yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949230/view/3744239011016556921?l=english

quote:

Cities: Skylines II is built for the future with modern hardware in mind, allowing us to add more depth and detail to the game than its predecessor had. Earlier this month, we shared a note on performance as we had not reached the benchmark target we had set for the game. Following this, we have seen some concerns about performance and what it means for the game as a whole. We’d like to give some context to the issues the game is currently facing, what we’re doing to address them, and what you can do if you are among the players experiencing performance issues.

Firstly, we want to assure you that the issues are not deeply rooted in the game’s foundation, so we fully expect to be able to improve performance going forward. The issues we are currently facing are tied to the rendering of the game, and decreasing the quality of visual effects such as Depth of Field, Global Illumination, and Volumetrics will get you a fair performance without affecting simulation - at the cost of some eye candy. If you experience low FPS we recommend the following:
*Reduce screen resolution to 1080p
*Disable Depth of Field and Volumetrics
*Reduce Global Illumination

WHAT HAPPENS POST-RELEASE
Following the release, we intend to push a series of small patches (and likely a big one) as we significantly improve different areas of performance. We have identified some issues tied to certain hardware setups that yielded unexpected results, and following those discoveries, we're working on improvements to:

*Remove stutters, generally caused by some synchronization condition in the simulation. They can vary greatly from one CPU to another, as well as how your city is built.
*Optimize and balance GPU performances by reducing the number of vertices processed per frame and optimizing/balancing the effects that affect fillrate (mainly Depth of Field, Global Illumination, and Volumetrics), which you can turn off or reduce in the settings for the time being to get a decent FPS.
*Pushing any CPU optimizations that are not already done that we come across in this process.

It’s worth noting that balancing GPU performances does not mean reducing quality overall but, for example, taking fewer samples with smarter distribution to achieve identical or very similar results.

We are also looking at expanding the options for upscaling solutions. Right now, the game includes AMD FSR1, which does not look that good when the scale ratio is 50% (you can enable it with Dynamic resolution scale setting), but it is supported by Unity out of the box, so it made sense to include.

Both FSR2 and DLSS2 require the use of Temporal Anti-aliasing, which is not possible at the moment due to some objects being incompatible with that technique. We are currently working towards making this possible, which will not only help to boost performances but also provide a better quality anti-aliasing solution than the one we currently use (SMAA by default).

OUR GOALS
With the upcoming patches, the situation will largely improve with default settings. It is worth mentioning that for a game like this, the performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS minimum. There is no real benefit in a city builder to aim for higher FPS (unlike a multiplayer shooter) as a growing city will inevitably become CPU-bound. What matters more with this type of game is to avoid stutters and have a responsive UI.

For that reason, our simulation is also built around an expected update rate given 30fps. However, it does not hurt to get 60fps as it can contribute to better visuals in relation to temporal effects, so while our target is 30fps, we don't intend to limit or stop the optimization work just because we reach it on the recommended hardware. We just don't believe there would be a long-term benefit in setting the target to 60fps, especially because we face rendering challenges both from close-ups and far distances.

A NOTE ON RELEASE TIMING
While some setups on PC have challenges, we concluded the performance is not a dealbreaker for all the players. For us, the number one priority is for the players to have fun with the game, and we had seen enough feedback from players enjoying the game that it would be more unfair to postpone. We know we will keep working on the game and do our best to fix issues as fast as possible, so we wanted to respect the announced release date and allow people to start playing the game.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Cygni posted:

Game feels like 6-12 months underbaked, but I still played a good amount today. There’s good bones and it is functional, but it’s not done.
This was more or less my experience. A game like this with a development cycle that's probably going to go beyond this decade was never going to be anywhere near perfect out the gate and have lots of rough edges. The most important thing is sorting out the performance issues and CO seems to be getting on top of that. I can see a lot of people sticking to CS1 and its vast library of mods and DLC for the next year or two, and poking their heads into CS2 after major updates to see where the game and the modding scene is at.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's essentially a public beta that you pay $60, plus $30 more every few months by way of DLC, to participate in.

It's nowhere near ready for show time yet. But it could end up in a really good place a couple years down the road.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress

THE AUTOSAVE FEATUER IS OFF BY DEFAULT??????????????????

And the game is a bit crash prone

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's essentially a public beta that you pay $60, plus $30 more every few months by way of DLC, to participate in.

It's nowhere near ready for show time yet. But it could end up in a really good place a couple years down the road.

I'm gonna go back to the CS1 release and say, that's how CS1 was. I remember buying it, playing it for 20-30 hours and going back to whatever city builder I was using to scratch my itch before that, I think SC4. I legit didn't really dive into CS1 much until the second or third expansion brought enough variation to gameplay that I could be pretty much nonstop hooked.

Also, some of the best games in recent memory were released as "public betas", go look at No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk 2077. At the end of the day, we got a much better game out of the deal than we would have if they had kept it all under wraps and published it without greater player feedback. Yeah, you can polish things and THEN release it and get feedback, but I trust that CO knew what they were doing. They've got a good track record of taking things from "that's alright" to top-of-genre

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's irrelevant if that's how CS1 was because that was eight years ago and the first game of the city building series, as opposed to public transport.

cs2 is, in fact, the sequel to everything they've learned and apparently they're learned how to make a piece of poo poo that was also rat-hosed by paradox-the-publisher into releasing early because it would be unfair to to postpone

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My uncle works in an alternate dimension where games are finished before they're released and he says they're much worse

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My big problem with the first was education and such would be city wide, with property tiers only being effected by say school placement.

This resulted in being unable to design a city with redlining and the like to keep low education industry and housing around, citizens got educated regardless so you had to improve slums or they'd just be abandoned and industry would also die.

I just want dirty to be around instead of presumably offloaded to other cities because they have risk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a basic question but what are people's general strategies for zoning R-C-I? As someone from the land of Henry Ford I have an irrepressible urge to grid and I tend to do it as huge suburbs of residential houses and large blocks of industry with commercial stuff as a "wall" separating them, but it seems that with the inclusion of things like gas stations it might be better to checkerboard commercial in with industry and residential.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is a basic question but what are people's general strategies for zoning R-C-I? As someone from the land of Henry Ford I have an irrepressible urge to grid and I tend to do it as huge suburbs of residential houses and large blocks of industry with commercial stuff as a "wall" separating them, but it seems that with the inclusion of things like gas stations it might be better to checkerboard commercial in with industry and residential.

zone R along local roads, C along collector roads and separate both from I via arterial roads

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mainly that, but I like putting commercial on corners in MFH / rowhouse areas too. Gotta have your Bodegas.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

zone R along local roads, C along collector roads and separate both from I via arterial roads

Thank you, question 2, what is an arterial road?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

"Cities: Skylines II is built for the future with modern hardware in mind, allowing us to add more depth and detail to the game than its predecessor had."

lmao this reads more like "we were crunched for time and had to release so yeah we're just gonna say its meant for future hardware instead of shittily optimized"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Steam version after fighting for an hour trying to get a frame cap set on the Gamepass version. You can't access the actual exe, and I had no luck capping the stub Windows creates.

Surprise, the game is actually pleasant to play once you get everything smoothed out!

For reference, I'm using a 45FPS cap at 3840x1600 with everything at medium except for Textures(high) and DoF(off) on my 4090. It will pull much higher, but I would rather have it constant. This also keeps the GPU load around 50% so the fans don't have to kick into high gear.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thank you, question 2, what is an arterial road?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_hierarchy

How to make hellscape cities, basically.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Infidelicious posted:

Mainly that, but I like putting commercial on corners in MFH / rowhouse areas too. Gotta have your Bodegas.

In the CPP beginner's guide video he said there's no longer a noise penalty for low density commercial so mixing it in with residential is much more viable than in CS1

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel like a lot of this is them getting screwed over by unity making promises it can't actually keep. Which isn't surprising considering how much of a garbage fire unity has been as a company for the past few years. i think thats why problems are mostly solved with shutting off a lot of seemingly random graphics settings

as for stuff they can control: i really wish we had better control over where frontages go. I know CPP has a way to fix it in one of his videos but hell if i can find it. I also wish we could control setback limits on the lots because a lot of them are just absolutely insane. part of that is having to break myself of making max width zoning areas (especially with medium density) though i have found alleys help with that.

once mods get up for this it'll be a lot better, especially when we can get hold of small service buildings, since they just did the opposite of last time and made them all gigantic

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
As someone who loved CS1 its kind of hard to believe how hard they hosed up this game performance wise. Like they had to be willfully ignoring how poorly it ran while working on it/testing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

as for stuff they can control: i really wish we had better control over where frontages go. I know CPP has a way to fix it in one of his videos but hell if i can find it. I also wish we could control setback limits on the lots because a lot of them are just absolutely insane. part of that is having to break myself of making max width zoning areas (especially with medium density) though i have found alleys help with that.

I may be misinterpreting what you're asking for, but if you're zoning a rectangle contained within roads, just skip the column of zone cells directly adjacent to the road that you don't want the frontages on. Then, once buildings have started to go up, zone that last strip. There aren't any 1-deep houses, so they will face onto the same road as all the others

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As someone who loved CS1 its kind of hard to believe how hard they hosed up this game performance wise. Like they had to be willfully ignoring how poorly it ran while working on it/testing.

They knew. A few weeks before release they upped the minimum hardware recommendations and delayed console release until late Spring 2024.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_hierarchy

How to make hellscape cities, basically.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I guess in this terminology I have been zoning collector roads as C and then using it to buffer R and I that is on local roads (although the C roads have more lanes). I'll try separating them more and see if that helps with the chaos, especially if I can get them up on the actual highways more.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I may be misinterpreting what you're asking for, but if you're zoning a rectangle contained within roads, just skip the column of zone cells directly adjacent to the road that you don't want the frontages on. Then, once buildings have started to go up, zone that last strip. There aren't any 1-deep houses, so they will face onto the same road as all the others

yeah that's what i have been doing. i await when someone mods in a toggle or something

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

withoutclass posted:

They knew. A few weeks before release they upped the minimum hardware recommendations and delayed console release until late Spring 2024.

That was pretty clearly the point where they had to make a choice between feature-complete (ish) and optimised since there wasn't time before release for both. Based on developer-publisher relationships that I've experienced firsthand I expect Paradox made the choice for them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deltasquid posted:

OUR GOALS
With the upcoming patches, the situation will largely improve with default settings. It is worth mentioning that for a game like this, the performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS minimum. There is no real benefit in a city builder to aim for higher FPS (unlike a multiplayer shooter) as a growing city will inevitably become CPU-bound. What matters more with this type of game is to avoid stutters and have a responsive UI.

This is crazy, like right out the gate trying to temper people's expectations of even being able to hit 60 as a target.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Eh. I may be in the minority but I don't really care about my city builder getting 60 fps. But it definitely should be able to maintain a smooth 30 as a minimum without stuttering.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m glad I didn’t buy this and played it on PC game pass. I think it does something’s better than CS1 and the QoL changes are nice but this is a middling sequel with a lot of holes and bad performance.

I’ll still have fun with it for a bit but definitely don’t buy this until like a year from now when it should be cheaper.

Also, I know some of you guys don’t like it but I’m glad it’s getting bombed in steam reviews.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

using 30fps as the target for any kind of game in 2023 should be illegal

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Only way for current gen consoles to compete with gaming PCs

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hearing all these reports of people with 4090s getting 10fps and stuff makes me really wonder what kind of machines are the developers using? Are they testing the game on normal computers or are they testing it on very specific, insanely powerful supercomputers?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. I may be in the minority but I don't really care about my city builder getting 60 fps. But it definitely should be able to maintain a smooth 30 as a minimum without stuttering.

Yeah the second part is the key, especially as the simulation gets larger. 30 FPS should be the "there's 60% of the resources left to work with" mark, not "if we don't cut it to 30 then it's going to be 5".

I just put a lot of money into a desktop with a high end graphics card and had to turn down the settings to get a playable framerate so I understand the pain. I'm running it on 4k which doesn't help but this is the only game I've had an issue with.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is funny for me specifically since I've set settings low enough that it turned out to be roughly 60fps.... with huge stutters to like 5 on occasion (on a 6700xt), and I would totally prefer smooth 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m fine with the 30 fps if the graphics are good and it’s stable. That’s not this game though lol.