Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The English may refer to the Scots as sweaty however the temperature here is quite cool and where possible we avoid physical excertions. Very poor descriptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do scotnat types get upset about MacBeth being called ~the scottish play~ :scotland: :spooky:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely that title belongs to Rainbow Kiss.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Sweaty Play

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

bessantj posted:

Always felt like a bit of an ego thing going on, you are so important people will, of course, talk about you. My cousin once told me about a time he was working in London and his mam and dad visited him. they were in a cafe talking in Welsh when a woman on the next table turned round and said "I know you're talking about me, you Welsh have such a chip on your shoulder." Then got up and left.

Hard to believe someone in London would know what Welsh sounds like though :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Sweaty Play

That's one of my moves down at the club

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

a vote for kecske is a vote for anarchy
referring u to prevent u monster

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Religion isn't the root of evil, it's just a very convenient place for it to organise.
Well put, very pithy 👍🏻

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

Mostly rhetorical question: Why are xenophobes/bigots so convinced that anyone speaking a language that isn't English in public is talking about them? It's a motif that comes up again and again - "It's not right hearing people speak Polish on the bus. You Don't Know What They're Saying!! :byodood:" or "I walked past a group of youths and they said something in their language and laughed at me!"

I'm gonna assume that it's the usual conservative projection and if they were a linguistic minority and thought they couldn't be understood they'd be chatting poo poo about everyone. Or just (related) Main Character Syndrome. But it's really weird.

My grandmother was like this, convinced everyone not speaking english was talking about her.

My dude you are not that interesting.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The whole "they're talking about me" just makes me think of when students come and let me know that a certain other student looked at them funny in lesson. I mean they almost certainly didn't. They were probably bored and just looking around the room and you happened to see it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
idgaf if people are talking about me in english, even

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

idgaf if people are talking about me in english, even

I practice what I'm gonna say to them in front of my mirror, so I can get my gun moves just right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Having your liasons in the woods and telling the aghast pensioners to jog on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

do scotnat types get upset about MacBeth being called ~the scottish play~ :scotland: :spooky:

Yes. Calling a play written by a Sassenach the Scottish play is an outrage. The Cheviot, The Stag & The Black Black Oil, that's the Scottish play!

Do I have to ruin the gag by pointing out I am actually aware it was written by a Scouser? Hope not

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah obviously people can and do find inspiration to be good people through religion, I just personally would rather focus on that for its own sake than as an expression of religion.

I feel a lot of the time like religion is often a thing that good people have, but more often seems to be a thing that makes people worse. I think good people would probably still be good to others without their faith, whereas I so frequently see religion being both justification and vehicle for being an rear end in a top hat to people that it is hard not to give the whole thing a bit of a sideeye. It feels more structurally suited to producing that than to producing good people.

But therein I think lies the root of its own destruction, while secular alternatives exist there will be places for those who faith spurns to find community, and through that steady attrition the faiths of the world will either have to adopt humanist ideals, or dwindle. Or go full revanchism I guess that's an option too, but there's always the reaction.

The most poisonous thing about religion is that it brings morality as a package deal, but without rationalization or introspection as a major component. Someone with a great deal of latent moral intelligence can still form a system of moral belief that produces good outcomes. Someone who lacks moral intelligence or moral confidence tends to take the whole package unexamined. This is a huge problem because the package has both a bad baseline and centuries of malicious tampering for the gain of those ascribed morale authority.

The claim of absolute and unaccountable authority is impossible to rationalize with systems designed around democracy. It just results in mindless block voting. And that's with a moral authority that is simply a true unexamined believer, with no malicious intent. It becomes very easy as the root of a persons morality to extend into new moral questions to impose your own will, whether that be a new unexamined and unaccountable position drawn from an interpretation of scripture, a cynical reverse engineering of scripture to match a position, or simply a hallucination of gut morality declaring initial reaction as sacrosanct without any thought at all.

So those with a weak moral intelligence or confidence, knowing or simply believing they can't form a moral system on their own adopt (or often fail to reject, because successful religions have a retention mechanism designed to destroy or exploit moral confidence) these flawed frameworks based on their advertisement of moral perfection.

Most modern philosophy on morality and ethics abandons an appeal to the people in favor of high level academic debate. DYI is fine for people with both moral intelligence and moral confidence, but they barely need the help. The most populist focused modernist moralities are scam religions and Randianism. There seems a great demand for a modern morality, and a great failure to deliver anything of value. Secular humanism don't bother to recruit, so the only people who find it are those who bother to look, again those who tend to have a degree of moral intelligence and moral confidence.

The sad answer is many people desire to be told how to think, many of them genuinely need help and know they need help making moral decisions, and genuinely moral people outside religions or abusive organizations think it's immoral to tell people how to think. The most consistently available people to reference for high level moral decisions are religions and business consultants(directly or indirectly afflicted with a greed is good mentality), and obviously both of those groups come with massive biases. The individual only really has access to religion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or social media, which has an abundance of pseudoreligions like Qanon and Andrew Taint and Sigma Grindset.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ligma Grind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bit that sticks with me is basically explained in "the preacher and the slave"

It's very bleak to think how many people have spent their lives in misery because they and others were sure that it would all be put right before god in the end.

And then they're just gone, no restitution, no punishment for those that deceived them.

Makes the whole of human history just an avalanche of wrongs that can't be put right. Pretty hard to see faith as anything but one of the cruellest works of man after that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The bit that sticks with me is basically explained in "the preacher and the slave"

It's very bleak to think how many people have spent their lives in misery because they and others were sure that it would all be put right before god in the end.

And then they're just gone, no restitution, no punishment for those that deceived them.

Makes the whole of human history just an avalanche of wrongs that can't be put right. Pretty hard to see faith as anything but one of the cruellest works of man after that.

Pretty much everything you need to know about religion was nearly summarised by Mr Robert Marley

"If you know what life is worth/
Then you will look for yours on Earth"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

elbkaida posted:

Hard to believe someone in London would know what Welsh sounds like though :v:

You'd be surprised. My dad, an avid non-native Welsh speaker, moved to some place in Essex, there were more Welsh speakers there than in the South Wales town he moved from.

bessantj posted:

Always felt like a bit of an ego thing going on, you are so important people will, of course, talk about you. My cousin once told me about a time he was working in London and his mam and dad visited him. they were in a cafe talking in Welsh when a woman on the next table turned round and said "I know you're talking about me, you Welsh have such a chip on your shoulder." Then got up and left.

Friend of my parents, native Welsh speaker but hadn't lived in Wales for over 30 years - married to an English bloke, was in a shop in Cardiff and bought a mug (she spoke English in the shop). When she got outside she had a good look at it in daylight and found it was cracked. Went back in, asked for a replacement. One assistant said to the other in Welsh 'give the old bitch a new mug' at which point parents' friend took them to task in Welsh.

And one time I got on a microbus (they're like 15 seater bedford vans with up to 30 people crammed inside & hanging round the outside) in Egypt and the driver said to the passenger sitting in the seat next to him in Arabic "Where does the crazy foreigner think she's going" (using the word 'khawaga' for foreigner which basically means 'wheat face' - white foreigners not known normally known to use microbuses) to which I replied in best Arabic "Rmzees inshallah" (Ramses - main train station - 'god willing'). Cue embarrassed looking driver! It's quite fun when people ARE talking about you in 'forrin' assuming you can't understand them. And most people with some knowledge of a foreign language can understand a lot more than they can actually speak.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Jesteś tak próżny, że prawdopodobnie myślisz, że to zdanie dotyczy ciebie

(apologies for whatever google translate did to that)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's why Catholicism seems to be the effort of making someone torture themselves for their entire life. At least from the Portuguese side I've experienced.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting.
Ive downloaded it (two translations) to have a read after work.

https://www.holybooks.com/the-gospel-of-thomas-two-different-translations/

Hope you enjoy! It isn't that radical in its entirety, sadly - there's one line from Jesus about how "every woman who becomes a man shall enter the kingdom of heaven" which if taken literally could be a fun bit of ancient trans-inclusivity, but which in context is more likely just old-fashioned sexism. However, it is overall a very cool bit of Gnostic philosophy.

bessantj posted:

Sometimes I feel like a significant amount of the English national character can be boiled down to that one hobbit in the LOTR movies, you know the hobbit? The guy who we see for about six seconds, and he's aimlessly sweeping right at the bottom of his front garden where he has a clear view of the road, so he can silently scowl at and after passing travellers while they ride by on their way to more interesting places.

He could go inside, this hobbit, when he sees Gandalf coming. He could build a taller hedge or a back garden if he hates foreigners that much. But he's lonely, and he's joyless, and he doesn't know how to connect with other people except by performatively letting them know how much he disapproves of them. So he stands out front in a place where he'll have to look at them and they'll have to look at him, and drags that encounter out for as long as he can.

Trying to pick a fight with a stranger you hate, and who isn't paying you any attention, can feel more satisfying than accepting that you're completely invisible to them. Assuming that they're talking about you and conspiring against you can feel reassuring, when the alternative is that they're quite comfortably getting on with a life and a conversation that you simply don't have access to.

It is...sort of ego, I think, but it's more resentment that someone you consider beneath you could possibly be ignoring you (when by rights they should be resenting you, as their better.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's an innate human desire to Know What's Going On, especially when it comes to relations between people, and what people think about you and others, because it's important to status and hierarchy. It's why FOMO can be so strong and why people love gossip. Hearing a foreign language is FOMO often given a lil' racist twist. People don't like it. But these are ancient brain bits that I dare say more enlightened people can suppress quite easily, in the same way they suppress other biases we have (like inherently distrusting a person of another colour or thinking they experience pain to a lesser degree)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno that I would call it enlightened any more than I would being able to use a toilet instead of making GBS threads in your pants.

It's just like, unless all you personally do is talk poo poo about other people why would you assume everyone else is constantly talking poo poo and specifically about you?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

See if I hear someone speaking a language I don't know I just love listening to try and pick out how the language works. But then I wanted to study linguistics and had to touch computer instead.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Friend of my parents, native Welsh speaker but hadn't lived in Wales for over 30 years - married to an English bloke, was in a shop in Cardiff and bought a mug (she spoke English in the shop). When she got outside she had a good look at it in daylight and found it was cracked. Went back in, asked for a replacement. One assistant said to the other in Welsh 'give the old bitch a new mug' at which point parents' friend took them to task in Welsh.

And one time I got on a microbus (they're like 15 seater bedford vans with up to 30 people crammed inside & hanging round the outside) in Egypt and the driver said to the passenger sitting in the seat next to him in Arabic "Where does the crazy foreigner think she's going" (using the word 'khawaga' for foreigner which basically means 'wheat face' - white foreigners not known normally known to use microbuses) to which I replied in best Arabic "Rmzees inshallah" (Ramses - main train station - 'god willing'). Cue embarrassed looking driver! It's quite fun when people ARE talking about you in 'forrin' assuming you can't understand them. And most people with some knowledge of a foreign language can understand a lot more than they can actually speak.

My favourite example of this comes from when I was still playing rugby. We were playing a West Wales team and won a penalty, an opposition player proceeded to call the ref an "English oval office" in Welsh. The ref instantly turned round and said in Welsh "this is a North Wales accent not scouse." Then sent the player off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

See if I hear someone speaking a language I don't know I just love listening to try and pick out how the language works. But then I wanted to study linguistics and had to touch computer instead.

Me too. Went to a conference once that was almost all in arabic (though very well-spoken formal modern arabic) so even though I didn't understand much of the vocabulary, I could pick out the structure of the language - so a word starting with "mo- or mu-" usually means the person doing something (eg . drs = study so modaris = teacher (lit. one who studies) madrasa = school (place of study). Plus all the different verb prefixes & suffixes.

I must be one of the few saddos in this world that enjoys grammar (what I like to think of as "the equations of the language").

(Just reflecting on the number of times I was referred to as "khawaga magnoona" (crazy foreigner) in Cairo when they thought I didn't understand them :D I know I went in one shop and asked in arabic for black paper for some sort of project & one assistant said to the other in Arabic "she speaks arabic" - as in 'caution she might understand us!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 25, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if all this is the work of a creator god then we can be sure that it is a throughother bastard about its work imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I always like the (probably shitthatdidnthappen.txt) story about the racist in Wales who was complaining about an asian woman on the bus speaking to her kid in a 'foreign' language and trying to take her to task, before being told by other passengers that she was speaking Welsh.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, that's what the 'Men die, beasts die' line is from. It also crops up in Helvegen which is absolutely spinechilling performed live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0TQyjdHJ0

Worth reading the translated lyrics if you can find them.

I saw Wardruna perform this at Hellfest last year. It’s even more powerful while tripping. I finally got round to writing a will shortly afterwards so I wrote that Helvegen should be played at my funeral :). (Ideally alongside Type O Negative - Everything Dies but I didn’t add that bit)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

killerwhat posted:

I saw Wardruna perform this at Hellfest last year. It’s even more powerful while tripping. I finally got round to writing a will shortly afterwards so I wrote that Helvegen should be played at my funeral :). (Ideally alongside Type O Negative - Everything Dies but I didn’t add that bit)

I want "Silly Thing" by the Sex Pistols at mine. Also at my wedding if I ever get to that.

Would love to see Wardruna live but it's cost-prohibitive these days being a non-driver living in the wilds of south wales with a crappy bus service.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've asked for Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo at my funeral. I'm trying not to let the fact that Danny Elfman is maybe a bit of a sex-wrong affect that choice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What about his discography could possibly give you the notion that he's a sexwrong?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought Danny Sexwrong was the guy from Starbomb.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I was unaware until today that Danny Elfman is the 'I love little girls' guy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He did the song too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1717204195189641257

He still hasn't called for a ceasefire. He still hasn't called Israel's genocidal actions the war crimes that they are, and he supports the failed Apartheid two-state solution. I really hope to see a huge wave of resignations...

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
As a name, Blinken seems a bit on the nose of cards, checkmate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

blinken you'll miss it