Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

euphronius posted:

Albuterol cleared up my lungs post covid. A good drug.

Albuterol is indeed ftw but it doesn’t “clear things up”, it just opens up the airways. That can make it easier to hack up gunk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Anyway looking forward to raving again in approximately two weeks when my covid vaccine kicks in and my rhinovirus or whatever goes away :cheers:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Do you need a Costco membership to get the vaccination from them? Since CVS sounds like a mess for Novavax.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Bar Crow posted:

Do you need a Costco membership to get the vaccination from them? Since CVS sounds like a mess for Novavax.

No.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

no, though you might have to mention at the door that you’re heading to the pharmacy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

It doesn't work??

lmao

this cannot be, RPGs have taught me all about the phophylactic power of talismans

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol okay

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/child-care-centers-unlikely-spread-covid-19-study-says/YL33NWM4LNFB7D4GHYUGW77TZI/

quote:

Child care centers unlikely to spread COVID-19, study says

PITTSBURGH — A new study led by UPMC and UPMC Children’s Hospital pediatrician-scientists say child care centers aren’t spreading COVID-19 at significant rates to children or caregivers.

According to UPMC, the study included 83 children in 11 child care centers in two cities. The household contacts of the children, including 118 adults and 16 children, and 21 child care providers were also included.

The study followed the participants from April 22, 2021 to March 31, 2022. They received weekly COVID-19 testing and completed symptom diaries.

Child care center directors also reported weekly and self-reported COVID cases for all care providers and children at their centers, the study said.

The study concluded that COVID transmission rates within child care centers were about 2% to 3%.

Child care attendance was identified as a minor cause of COVID in households since 17% of infections in the household came from children who got it at child care centers, the study found. Most household cases were acquired from outside child care centers.

“It is interesting that such a contagious virus was transmitted at low rates in child care centers and was an uncommon reason for household infections because it goes against conventional wisdom and medical knowledge we have about other serious respiratory viruses,” said lead author Timothy Shope, M.D., M.P.H., professor of pediatrics at Pitt’s School of Medicine and pediatrician at UPMC Children’s. “In households, the higher rates can be explained by much more prolonged and closer contact, especially with sick children.”

The study also found that one in 20 symptomatic children attending child care centers tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

“Though we found COVID-19 transmission was low in child care centers, our study shows that transmission was very high in households, and young children still often contracted COVID-19 from people outside the child care center,” said Shope. “I strongly recommend the COVID-19 vaccine for young children to disrupt the high rates of transmission that occur in households and the missed school and work that can result.”

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

:ok:

what a load of bullshit, the number of childcare facilities and schools that shut down due to COVID spread is what, fake news??

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

our findings defy reason and experience with similar diseases, but are ideologically convenient so let's go to motherfucking press hell yeah

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
what is a Covid transmission rate in childcare setting and what is it a percentage of

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Very kind of COVID to offer humanity a truce in such convenient areas.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every time my job has big meetings now, one of the presenters is incredibly sick and barely holding together.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Something must be going around!

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Every time my job has big meetings now, one of the presenters is incredibly sick and barely holding together.

The law firm my wife works for had to cancel an important deposition on Monday because the person being deposed had covid

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Honestly still impressed people are testing and delaying things when positive.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Poppers posted:

Albuterol is indeed ftw but it doesn’t “clear things up”, it just opens up the airways. That can make it easier to hack up gunk though.

so it clears things up then, thanks poopers

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Actually it doesn’t. R>c>p

Apr 7, 2003

Zantie posted:

Honestly still impressed people are testing and delaying things when positive.

this guy tried powering through!

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/16in8jr/im_so_tired_of_getting_sick_i_think_im_done/

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
shoot.

Close friend just went to hospital for adult onset stills disease (AOSD or ASD). His liver is dying. He's only 37 and has two kids in elementary school. He recently had a bought with covid when visiting a relative in the hospital. Given his kids in school and the way he lives life, I would guess he's had it more than once. I feel so heartbroken for the family right now.

Now, I have no idea if they are linked. Some cursory searches leads me to believe some people are researching the uptick of AOSD since covid.

sigh, world is a gently caress. who knows but man, it just feels so lame watching people get sick and wonder if it's a byproduct of our messed up approach to covid.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Man I would love to take a train to like glacier so bad and renting a room seems like your best bet to ride in style and not get got. I didn’t think about bringing a filter oddly enough. Do the conductors enter your car? Seems like they have to to get around the train. How was eating? Bathrooms? How many people per car?

Oldest Man answered a lot, but things have changed a bit since 2020. No more dining car on the City of New Orleans, but it's returned to western trains like Empire Builder and California Zephyr. I miss eating steak and sharing wine with strangers, but delivery straight to my room is still pretty great.

The standard sleeper car has five bedrooms and ten roomettes on the upper level, so about 25 people upper. Lower level is mostly bathrooms and luggage, but a few accessible rooms so I'd guess about 10 more people down there.

The porter isn't going into your room if you don't want them to, just shut the door and draw the curtain when you get up to check out the viewing car. If you're somewhat handy you can figure out how to set up the beds yourself.

Bedrooms have their own bathroom/shower, which is great if you're traveling with little ones. Appliances aren't technically allowed, but I doubt anyone would have cared about an air filter. To be safe we carried ours on in a suitcase, and placed it up against the door so it wasn't visible even when the curtain was open. We had it on full blast the entire trip, as well as the ceiling vent. I don't know where the ceiling air is coming from, but it's fairly forceful and smells like brake dust during stops. There's probably plenty of air seeping between the 5 rooms and hallway (there's a 1" gap at the bottom of the door) so I doubt it's safer than masked flying, but for my crew it seemed best. Though I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry if we got got.

Aside from the scenery another benefit of train travel is that nobody frisks or scans you, you can drink your own booze, and nobody asks to see your ID. The price is at least 2x what I'd spend on a flight, but compare it to bedroom train travel in canada or europe and it's a bargain. Also meals are included.

Fansy has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Oct 25, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fansy posted:

Appliances aren't technically allowed

I think this is to stop people from setting up hot plates in their rooms, I've heard some stories

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

no lube so what posted:

shoot.

Close friend just went to hospital for adult onset stills disease (AOSD or ASD). His liver is dying. He's only 37 and has two kids in elementary school. He recently had a bought with covid when visiting a relative in the hospital. Given his kids in school and the way he lives life, I would guess he's had it more than once. I feel so heartbroken for the family right now.

Now, I have no idea if they are linked. Some cursory searches leads me to believe some people are researching the uptick of AOSD since covid.

sigh, world is a gently caress. who knows but man, it just feels so lame watching people get sick and wonder if it's a byproduct of our messed up approach to covid.

dang this sucks

also there's a terrifyingly vast array of ways this fragile vehicle can completely fail

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

The most evolutionarily favored strain of the myxoma virus kills 70% of the rabbits it infects. There's a milder 50% kill rate version but it doesn't create enough skin lesions to spread effectively via its insect vectors.

These figures are also only true for wild rabbits whose ancestors survived numerous waves of myxoma.

When researchers take that “seventy percent fatal” strain of myxoma virus into the laboratory and inoculate rabbits born and bred in captivity, it kills drat near all of them.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Oct 25, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Platystemon posted:

These figures are also only true for wild rabbits whose ancestors survived numerous waves of myxoma.

When researchers take that “seventy percent fatal” strain of myxoma virus into the laboratory and immaculate rabbits born and bred in captivity, it kills drat near all of them.

Immunity debt, you say!?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

When researchers take that “seventy percent fatal” strain of myxoma virus into the laboratory and immaculate rabbits born and bred in captivity, it kills drat near all of them.

Well that sounds fine, since we're doing our level best to ensure every child is exposed to plenty of covid, sometimes even before they make it out of the womb.

The mild strain, the one you want your children infected with.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Sounds like a mean thing to do to rabbits. :smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

It's a very mild death.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

After not 1 but 2 cancelations, I FINALLY got my moth juice. Excited

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

They waged biological warfare on a continent full of bunnies.

Killing hundreds in the lab doesn’t even register on that scale.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

My wife forced us to stop masking and go on this revenge travel trip to Florida, 7 days at Disney and universal studios plus 2 travel days. State
Started feeling like poo poo and tested. Two minutes in:

3.5 years COVID free until this poo poo.

We got the new booster the week it came out. Yeah i know it doesn't prevent infection.

Rochallor posted:

I cannot believe how consistent it is when somebody gives up protections and immediately gets covid. Like it's happened a dozen times in this thread alone. I don't even want to think about people who don't take any precautions and how sick they must be all the time.

Petey posted:

daniel griffin on twiv on thursday: "i'm here at the annual meeting of the infectious disease society of america, where everyone was encouraged to get their booster two weeks ahead of time to maximize protection ahead of this event"

daniel griffin on twitter today:

https://twitter.com/DanielGriffinMD/status/1716441127442612720

(he has kept masking indoors, one difference from wachter, but idk if he did at this meeting. in any case, one might have hoped that two weeks post boost would be at peak immunity against infection)

also

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/11/23-0804_article
it goes without fail and it sucks to see
hope OP's case is mild

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

shazbot posted:

everyone I know with kids has given up on Covid but then again everyone I know without kids has also given up on Covid.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Coldrice posted:

After not 1 but 2 cancelations, I FINALLY got my moth juice. Excited

Congratulations! Best of luck on building your chrysalis.

Soon:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Oct 25, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

eXXon posted:

I did my annual physical recently and the doc:

- was maskless and told me I didn't have to keep my mask (aura) on (there's still a sign outside saying wear a mask if you have symptoms though). Last year he was still rocking a surgical that slid over his nose every few minutes.
- asked where I got pax from (sesamecare because I tested positive on a Saturday) and said I didn't have to take it, being young-ish and healthy, like he didn't bother when he got covid and he was fine.
- said he's not opposed to young/healthy people getting pax cause they think it might prevent long covid but there's not much evidence for that.
- also said roughly 10% of people taking pax get rebounds, and he knows what would have happened if I hadn't taken pax - I would've been fine, because he was too.
- said it's not unusual to have heart rate spikes from biking slowly, walking at an average pace or getting up too quickly, or to get winded and drained from 30 minute conversations.
- ended with okay you probably have mild long covid (?) since it's been a month since you cleared the infection, but you should be fine, eventually, just ramp up exercise slowly to levels you're comfortable with

None of that is technically wrong, exactly, but it is a bit frustrating to hear it laid out like that.
every annual visit, drop-in clinic, urgent care visit etc. has been maddening because of poo poo like this

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

tough way to find out I am now a Three Percenter
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

wanting to escape from this hell world and listen to a running podcast during my commute and am instead bombarded with this

lmao :theroni:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tzen posted:

wanting to escape from this hell world and listen to a running podcast during my commute and am instead bombarded with this

i'm just a data geek!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tzen posted:

I can't imagine how insufferable it must be to be stuck in the same house as her. Her kids are going to need data-driven therapists for a *long* time

Love seeing blurbs from this ghoul on a huge chunk of parenting books I'm interested in.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

bobtheconqueror posted:

Immunity debt, you say!?

Immunity debt is real dude. All the infection docs I know believe in it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t take infection control advice from people who don’t wear respirators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tzen posted:

every annual visit, drop-in clinic, urgent care visit etc. has been maddening because of poo poo like this

At the risk of summoning the SAD "that didn't happen" proctors again, just to retell part of my family's last visit to urgent care.

Enter into an open, (small doc in a box) lobby. Receptionist and the two PA's are having a casual conversation with no masks on, while 6 feet away a maskless woman in the lobby is coughing up a lung. This was at the height of a wave too. No air purifiers or anything, just raw dogging each other's lungs.