Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Hobo Clown posted:

top could be any card in your deck (except Chavez).

Unless your deck gets shuffled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
How important are cards like Mobius and Snowguard to Loki decks? I'm wondering if it's worth saving up for that week or waiting for the Jeff week since he's such a versatile card.

Nico looks fun, but I only have two spotlight caches, so I'd rather wait for a high impact card.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

How important are cards like Mobius and Snowguard to Loki decks? I'm wondering if it's worth saving up for that week or waiting for the Jeff week since he's such a versatile card.

Nico looks fun, but I only have two spotlight caches, so I'd rather wait for a high impact card.
Snowguard isn’t that important. Mobius is, because if your opponent plays Mobius then you lose the discount from Loki

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

i think snowguard is quite good in a loki deck... esp. now that nico is out. one cost card that gives you two extra cards to loki, and also is a very cheap activator for nico as well.

still early days on nico testing but she seems to be received pretty positively... def. some rng there but also a lot of good value (drawing cards, powering up other cards, creating a second copy of a card, etc." if you can i'd be grabbing her. i expect her to stick around for a bit.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Snowguard isn’t that important. Mobius is, because if your opponent plays Mobius then you lose the discount from Loki

In that scenario though, having your own Mobius would not re-enable the discount from Loki. Once they have a Mobius on the board, your discount is gone unless you Enchantress or Rogue their Mobius.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is Man-Thing worth 3000 Tokens? I've got like 3500 and I'm guessing there aren't going to be very many new cards released that are actually at Series 4? It's just not worth it to try and save up 6000 tokens, easier/quicker to save up the Spotlight Caches.

Yeah, it depends on your collection though. If you're close to being series 4 complete, I'd just buy these cards to do that. If you're not, it depends on what else you could get.

But yeah, I wouldn't save up tokens for s5 cards.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Protip: playing Odin on Nico will cause her spell to retrigger on Odin rather than the next card you play, presumably because Odin is not "finished" "playing" until the retriggers complete.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

obi_ant posted:

Can someone explain to me top deck and bottom deck? I thought it was all random. I should probably know this considering I’m like almost ranked 90…

Your deck gets randomized, but the game still simulates a virtual deck with a specific order.

They did this, as opposed to just keeping all cards in a set and drawing one at random each time, so they could have effects that specifically target top and/or bottom cards.

It's also notable that effects that add cards to your deck generally also shuffle your deck, so cards that started at the bottom (i.e. Chavez) don't necessarily stay there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

No because about 90% of decks run Luke Cage rn, they also run Mobius so no cheating out Aboms with it. It’s an incredibly cool card but this meta basically stifles anything that’s cool in exchange for 6 tech cards, Elsa, and Kitty Pryde

Eh. I’ve been making good use of it - with the prevalence of Elsa/Kitty decks that want to have a ton of low drops on board, it can do a lot of damage. I don’t see Luke that often, really. (Just make sure to run Rogue or Enchantress to turn off their LC if they have one.)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Nico will go into a lot of decks, but I don't think she will be irreplaceable in any of them.

Could say the same about Jeff and he’s one of the best cards in the game.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Quetzadilla posted:

Protip: playing Odin on Nico will cause her spell to retrigger on Odin rather than the next card you play, presumably because Odin is not "finished" "playing" until the retriggers complete.

Yeah. Also she'll immediately buff herself after being split by Zola for the same reason

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yep, On Reveals always resolves before a card counts as Played, even if they were triggered after "playing" the card.

They really ought to rename their Played conditional, as it doesn't align intuitively with game mechanics. Something more like MTGs Enter The Battlefield but maybe less wordy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Quetzadilla posted:

If you play a Hulkbuster on card copy Nico she'll drop a 1/7 Nico in your hand that starts cycling again. Same with Phoenix Force on a destroyed card copy Nico. On a related note: lmao

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

I think "top deck" just means the card on the top of your draw deck (i.e. the next card you would have pulled) and "bottom deck" means the opposite. It's still random-ish since the top could be any card in your deck (except Chavez).

uXs posted:

Your deck gets randomized, but the game still simulates a virtual deck with a specific order.

They did this, as opposed to just keeping all cards in a set and drawing one at random each time, so they could have effects that specifically target top and/or bottom cards.

It's also notable that effects that add cards to your deck generally also shuffle your deck, so cards that started at the bottom (i.e. Chavez) don't necessarily stay there.

Got it, I was asking because I was wondering what is the importance / significance of "After you play a card here this turn, destroy the top card of your opponent’s deck.". But it seems like it doesn't really matter if all the cards are randomized. But not in the case of Chavez.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's also a few cards that grant knowledge of what's the top card of your deck, like howard the duck and iron lad

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Quetzadilla posted:

Yeah, I didn't expect much when I played Wong/Odin on top of Nico last night but I think she ended at 64 power.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I have 5 spotlight caches now. What should i spend them on in the coming weeks? The only 4/5 cars i have are Mobius, HE, Negasonic and Kang.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

CJ posted:

I have 5 spotlight caches now. What should i spend them on in the coming weeks? The only 4/5 cars i have are Mobius, HE, Negasonic and Kang.

In terms of 'essential' S4/5 cards, Alioth and Knull coming up week after next are good but NTW features again, so a bit risky because you've already got her. Gladiator/Mirage/Loki on Nov 15 could be good too, as is Jeff in early December. If you don't have Kitty I'd cash in this week because Nico is turning out to be both good and fun, and you'll probably save up another couple of caches before you want to cash in again.

Alternatively, wait for the next season patch and see what gets datamined.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Next week is Wearwolf, Silk, and Ghost Spider. Alioth, Knull is the week after. As for which weeks to pop the caches, Jeff did a recent video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0lUG2jNZA&t=385s

He focuses on general power level rather than unlocking specific decks or cards, but it is worth noting that he rates next week as the second-best cache pool out of the current run. I tend to agree with him. All the cards next week are pretty good, and they play into a similar theme (movement). I think it's worth opening next week unless you hate movement decks or are looking for a specific S4/5 card.

In other news, Nico rules. 49 power from a 1-drop is a bit over rate.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I just started playing this. I say hello every match but it took like 100 games before anybody said it back. I refused to snap on such kindness.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GolfHole posted:

I just started playing this. I say hello every match but it took like 100 games before anybody said it back. I refused to snap on such kindness.

You're probably playing a lot of bots at the moment. Sadly, they don't emote.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Just because they're robotic doesn't mean they can't be polite....

Hey should I be using these "upgrade with currency only" options that pop up in the store, or will I regret not saving up for something later?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Hey should I be using these "upgrade with currency only" options that pop up in the store, or will I regret not saving up for something later?

NO! Those are the worst traps in the game. It's temping to use that option early because you have fewer boosters, but very soon you'll have more boosters than you know what to do with, and credits are always scarce.

Honestly, I'd advise watching some videos on the game economy before buying anything in the shop. Value sings wilding depending on a range of factors.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 26, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

NO! Those are the worst traps in the game. It's temping to use that option early because you have fewer boosters, but very soon you'll have more boosters than you know what to do with, and credits are always scarce.

Honestly, I'd advise watching some videos on the game economy before buying anything the shop. Value sings wilding depending on a range of factors.

Heck yea, thanks!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Here's a recent video on spending gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DG19MRH0lU

Credits are easy. Only spend credits on upgrading cards via the collection tab (never through the shop).

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

obi_ant posted:

Got it, I was asking because I was wondering what is the importance / significance of "After you play a card here this turn, destroy the top card of your opponent’s deck.". But it seems like it doesn't really matter if all the cards are randomized. But not in the case of Chavez.

It used to be the case that Chavez didn't start at the bottom of your deck but was just randomized with the others, but then her ability was: "You always draw this card on turn 6, and not before."

So, when she was shuffled in somewhere near the top of your deck, after a few turns she would actually be at the top and then stay there until turn 6. Which means that cards like Cable or Jubilee, that draw the top card of the deck, had a huge chance of drawing her.

Or, if Howard had been a thing then (I don't think he was released before they changed Chavez), he would've been (even more) useless because he would show Chavez half the time.

So yeah, most of the time it doesn't matter. But sometimes it does.

Edit: Is there a way to look up previous versions of cards? Sometimes I like to know what a card used to be.

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 26, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

uXs posted:

Edit: Is there a way to look up previous versions of cards? Sometimes I like to know what a card used to be.

Only by digging through patch notes. You'd think one of the database sites would have a patch history listed on the card pages, but nope.

As an aside, I'd really like it if they nerfed or changed Chavez somehow. No idea what they could do, but she ends up in too many generically good decks due to her thinning power.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm not sure how you would change Chavez to be something people want to play. I also don't think she needs to change.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bad Video Games posted:

I'm not sure how you would change Chavez to be something people want to play. I also don't think she needs to change.

KMBest put it, "second dinner is in the business of selling you cards for their 12 card deck game. Chavez turns it into an 11 card deck game. This cannot survive."

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Give her M’Baku’s power, but let her do it from hand and you draw her at the start of the game.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Making Chavez less popular is not difficult. You simply make her narrower by adding some extra condition like that she needs to be the only 6-energy card in your starting deck to work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really don’t think Chavez needs a rework.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't think she's being used in the way she was designed though, based on dev responses. She's definitely being looked at

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Whether she's used the way the devs want or not, if you remove her deck thinning ability she's practically useless. She would have to have some overwhelming ability to make people actually want to play her.

You'll just see more Magik and Crystal instead for a similar effect.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I agree she'd be useless but I think she was designed to be training wheels where you'd always have a turn 6 play in the tutorial phase.

That said if they do anything to curb her deck thinning it will be to change her to be drawn turn 6 if you haven't already done so. And probably a buff to like 11/12 power

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So basically the same only worse. Sounds right.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I guess the question would be 'is the state of the game better if Chavez is dumpstered' while ignoring the state of the card itself. You have to accept she'll be unplayable outside of pool 1 if she functions similarly without the deck thin

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Got Ravonna from the spotlight, did anyone ever figure out a good use for her?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Got Ravonna from the spotlight, did anyone ever figure out a good use for her?
Nope. Mobius immediately killed her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nope. Mobius immediately killed her

spoilers for Loki season 2, jeez