Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I don’t take infection control advice from people who don’t wear respirators.

why would you want to control infections, that just creates immunity debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
what doesn’t kill you only gives you brain fog and POTS

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

If your desire is to never catch any form of respiratory illness ever again then I think a respirator in public forever is an okay choice. I wouldn’t really want to live like that or recommend it to anyone though.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Poppers posted:

If your desire is to never catch any form of respiratory illness ever again then I think a respirator in public forever is an okay choice. I wouldn’t really want to live like that or recommend it to anyone though.

don't worry I'll treat your shambling zombie well when I'm the only one with a brain that works in a few years

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

drake no: immunity debt
drake yes: autoimmunity debt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Physicians have a duty to wear a respirator with patients regardless of how they behave the rest of the week.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Poppers posted:

I live like this and highly recommend it, I love never getting sick, it owns actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I think that pilots shouldn’t be drunk on the job.”

“Well I think that teetotallers are pitiful.”

“…”

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Strep Vote posted:

I live like this and highly recommend it, I love never getting sick, it owns actually.

I’m sick with I’m gonna say rhinovirus right now and it sucks but I guess that’s the price we pay to dance 💃🏻

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i cant believe this stupid rereg gimmick is still posting

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

If your desire is to never die in a terrible car crash ever then I think a seat belt in a car forever is an okay choice. I wouldn’t really want to live like that or recommend it to anyone though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i thought I was clear from any side effects from Novavax but 24 hours later and my legs are so goddamn achey and sore. I imagine at some point it'll be my whole body.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i thought I was clear from any side effects from Novavax but 24 hours later and my legs are so goddamn achey and sore. I imagine at some point it'll be my whole body.

That is normal, soon you will feel an urge to wrap yourself in silk.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Maed posted:

If your desire is to never die in a terrible car crash ever then I think a seat belt in a car forever is an okay choice. I wouldn’t really want to live like that or recommend it to anyone though.

Car crashes without a seatbelt are a lot more likely to kill you than a random respiratory virus… I also think wearing a seatbelt in a situation where you’re already sitting in a car doesn’t really change the experience of driving a car vs wearing a mask or respirator in many different indoor social settings but I dunno I like eating drinking and being merry with friends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Poppers posted:

Car crashes without a seatbelt are a lot more likely to kill you than a random respiratory virus… I also think wearing a seatbelt in a situation where you’re already sitting in a car doesn’t really change the experience of driving a car vs wearing a mask or respirator in many different indoor social settings but I dunno I like eating drinking and being merry with friends.

COVID killed five times as many people as car crashes last year and that doesn't count post-acute stuff

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

It doesn't work??

lmao

As seen here, worn by 'Sir' Gary Sze Kong (he claims he was knighted by the pricipality of Monaco) who is one of the two people behind the product.

The other partner, inventor Timothy Wetzel, has racked up a series of convictions for racketeering and felony theft in the past but he's not letting that hold him back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEeMWhqWMk4

KW Technology's site is still up and is still promoting the product: https://kwtechnologynv.com/. They also sell a hand sanitizer and a facial mask (the cosmetic kind, not the PPE kind) "with CBD infused 14 karat gold".

The guy in this photo is Anthony Miranda who was hawking the device in early 2022 and was an official “master distributor” for the product, and was identified as one of two validators of the test results and case studies that backed the supposed science behind it.

He's now the NYC sheriff, lol.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I simply eat with friends in situations where I don't run the risk of being permanently disabled or killed and wear a respirator everywhere else.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

This card, which was worn around the neck or clipped onto clothing, was sold using deceptive claims, the FTC says. For example, the defendants claimed their product “uses quantum theory technology, combines known virus and bacteria killing compounds. It is safe, simple, and effective. All you need to do is hang it around your neck or attach it to your collar, close to your mouth and nose. . . it kills 99.9% of most harmful bacterial and viruses . . . within a three-foot radius.”

Boring, would have been way funnier if it was radioactive or something really dangerous

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

These figures are also only true for wild rabbits whose ancestors survived numerous waves of myxoma.

When researchers take that “seventy percent fatal” strain of myxoma virus into the laboratory and inoculate rabbits born and bred in captivity, it kills drat near all of them.

that there sounds like an Instructive Analogy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Boring, would have been way funnier if it was radioactive or something really dangerous

It would in fact swiftly inactivate nearby viruses if it were made of cobalt-60.

A credit card made of cobalt-60 would emit over five hundred watts of gamma radiation.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Oct 26, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

If would in fact, swiftly inactivate nearby viruses if it were made of cobalt-60.

A credit card made of cobalt-60 would emit over five hundred watts of gamma radiation.

I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're going to test it, and then I said, supposing you brought that inside the body, which you can do through the skin or some other way

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
A credit card-sized chunk of cobalt-60 being near your face would indeed ensure that you don't need to worry about COVID

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It would in fact swiftly inactivate nearby viruses if it were made of cobalt-60.

lol Jesus, I'm a physicist but I still get geeked out about stuff like that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For comparison, that’s ninety times the cobalt involved in the 1984 Ciudad Juárez incident.

It’s fun to compare and contrast the official response to radioactive material on the loose versus what happens with a novel virus.

e: Wikipedia is racist against languages with acute accents.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Oct 26, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mdemone posted:

lol Jesus, I'm a physicist but I still get geeked out about stuff like that

it’s even cooler than that

it uses Quantum Theory Technology

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

For comparison, that’s ninety times the cobalt involved in the 1984 Ciudad Juárez incident.

It’s fun to compare and contrast the official response to radioactive material on the loose versus what happens with a novel virus.

DROP AND RUN

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

it’s even cooler than that

it uses Quantum Theory Technology

They claim to have developed the technology using "the quantum computer at IBM" to "process the information" and also that it has FDA approval * ** ***** ****** !!
Do you think the FDA would just let anyone put their logo on their product like this?

Proud supplier to the NFL! Proven lab results!!!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Something that has been lost, but the paper that introduced the concept of "immunity debt" was arguing for increased pediatric vaccinations in France. The concept of "these kids had their first introduction to their virus-laden peers delayed by a few months, so there is going to be a few more getting sick than normal from that daycare exposure shock, so we should try to get more of them vaccinated, against as much as we can" is reasonable. The specific ones they argued for were "rotavirus, varicella, and Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B and ACYW".

But how we got from there to dumbasses trying to blame their RSV on "lockdowns"..... that's loving ridiculous. We have no lasting immunity to any of the viruses people are bitching about. And just because I haven't caught the flu in 30 years, and god knows how long since "the RSV" - that doesn't mean I'm extra weak and susceptible now. Shut the gently caress up. When people wallowed in rat filth and cow poo poo and drank contaminated water, they were sick all the time and died in their 30s. They weren't superhuman pillars of virility.

Doctors love to say random nonsensical comforting poo poo, especially to people they think are dumbasses. Some of them might actually believe it, like the ones who have zero time to read anything in between their fifty 15 minute appointments. Maybe they get a two paragraph summary of the health-news-of-the-day from whichever conglomerate bought their practice.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

A credit card-sized chunk of cobalt-60 being near your face would indeed ensure that you don't need to worry about COVID

I simply carry my laminated vaccination card in my wallet to much the same effect :obama:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(..)
Proud supplier to of the NFL! Proven lab results!!!

Now I'm not a slick city lawyer, but seems to me this simply means they've had a game on at the office and that they've done lab testing, which may or may not have failed.

Edit: Also thanks for the rundown further up :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

I simply carry my laminated vaccination card in my wallet to much the same effect :obama:

Now I’m imagining the joke with the DEA agent and the bull, but instead of his badge, the agent pulls out thirty‐six thousand curies of cobalt.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

I'm legit surprised it's even 3 percent. I work mon-thur so I booked an appointment friday morning so I could get the shot and rest up over the weekend, got canceled wed night due to short supplies. So I booked another one, got canceled again. This happened 3 times in a row and I sort of gave up trying to book one, figured I'd just wait some number of weeks and try a random walk in. I'll probably try this weekend, I guess at least now I can get the moth juice instead.

I feel like most people don't like errands or scheduling them so basically every rejected appointment is a roll of the dice that person simply never gets the booster at all, and it seems like it was happening a whole lot.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previous reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report. Ex: Last week reported 250 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, this week reported only 225 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, there will be an outline on the column for Oct-15 extending from 250 to 225 to show the count recently lowered by 25.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year. Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Oct 15            -        -        -        -    + 2,089       2,089
Oct 08            -        -        -    2,483      + 242       2,725
Oct 01            -        -    2,918      376       + 42       3,336
Sep 24            -    3,712      152       45       + 39       3,948
Sep 17        3,932      252       37       22       + 16       4,259
Rest of '23     323       66       29      240       + 23     107,002

Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities calculated by applying the state's % of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 to the HHS' reporting of ED visits due to all causes. The HHS report with ED visits updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of ED visits combined with the state actual Emergency Visits ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 15            -        -        -        -      + 828         828
Oct 08            -        -        -    1,027       + 62       1,089
Oct 01            -        -    1,190      103        + 8       1,301
Sep 24            -    2,358   -1,004        -       + 35       1,389
Sep 17        1,361    1,352   -1,201        -          -       1,512
Rest of '23     199   27,896  -22,457        -          -      34,343

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. The HHS report with new admissions updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of new admissions combined with the state actual hospitalization ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 15            -        -        -        -      + 361         361
Oct 08            -        -        -      372        + 1         373
Oct 01            -        -      362       -3          -         359
Sep 24            -      341        9        -          -         350
Sep 17          326       10       20        -          -         356
Rest of '23      60       65       22        -          -       9,986

Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Oct 15            -        -        -        -    + 2,100       2,100
Oct 08            -        -        -    2,394        + 7       2,401
Oct 01            -        -    2,380        7          -       2,387
Sep 24            -    2,429       21        7          -       2,457
Sep 17        2,450        -       21       14          -       2,485
Rest of '23      -7        -     -441      497          -      75,558

Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of data is pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears two weeks before the state's report and should be considered incomplete. It may look like the state is behind on reporting deaths, however they only report when they consider the data is complete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Oct 15            -        -        -        -          -           -
Oct 08            -        -        -        -        + 7           7
Oct 01            -        -        -        8       + 27          35
Sep 24            -        -       31        3          -          34
Sep 17            -       28        1        1          -          30
Rest of '23      29       27        2        2        + 1       1,109

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Oh no that lady is wearing her invisi-mask backwards, that's just going to amplify the incoming virons 99 times.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

King County WA public health is back in my good graces and have launched a new respiratory diseases dashboard that replaces the old flu one and brings back (weekly) positive and total test count reporting and a test positivity trendline for sars-cov-2

https://kingcounty.gov/en/dept/dph/health-safety/disease-illness/facts-and-data/respiratory-virus-data

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

King County WA public health is back in my good graces and have launched a new respiratory diseases dashboard that replaces the old flu one and brings back (weekly) positive and total test count reporting and a test positivity trendline for sars-cov-2

https://kingcounty.gov/en/dept/dph/health-safety/disease-illness/facts-and-data/respiratory-virus-data

shocked to discover there wasn't actually a summer flu

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
fridge nurse getting ready to wash their hands to ward off immunity debt, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Shiroc posted:

shocked to discover there wasn't actually a summer flu
Summer (just the) flu

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/comments/17g6psv/health_care_workers_how_do_you_all_manage_having/

quote:

Hello,

I work in health care. Over the past year and a bit I have worked on multiple Covid outbreak units. Fortunately my facility mandates n95 masks on outbreak units. (I also wear an n95 at all times in indoor spaces- when not on an outbreak unit I provide these myself).

When I am not on an outbreak unit I keep my mask on at all times indoors- I take my breaks outside, even in the winter. However, when I am working on an outbreak unit I am expected to remove my mask after leaving an infected room, and put on a fresh one. I also have to take off my mask when leaving the floor (and put on a fresh one). Depending on the size of the outbreak, and the number of times I leave th floor, this can mean having to remove my mask quite a few times throughout my shift. I’ve been doing this for over a year and thankfully have not gotten sick, but it is very stressful. I usually try to hold my breath when te mask is off, but because I need to take my mask off, sanitize my hands, put on a new mask etc, it can become uncomfortable having to do this repeatedly. I’m also not sure how protective holding my breath is.

I have a co2 monitor and fortunately the ventilation in the building is very very good (almost always below 550 ppm). This has somewhat put my mind at ease, as well as the fact that so far I’ve managed to avoid infection. But I’m worried that my luck will run out, especially with new variants.

How do other health care workers manage this risk? I’m considering buying some readimasks to use when working on an outbreak unit, install a sip valve on it, and then put my fit tested aura n95 over top of that. Then, I would just remove the aura mask between rooms, and leave the readimask on for the whole shift. I’m not sure if this would be allowed, or even how much this would affect the fit of the aura. Also, I’m not sure how comfortable this would be. My job is very physical, I walk ~22,000- 25,000 steps every day at work, and I’m worried that I would have difficulty wearing two n95s for an 8 hour shift.

Has anyone tried this? Or is there another trick that people have to minimize their risk? I do also ensure that my vaccinations are up to date (just received my seventh dose), and I use CPC mouthwash and iota-carrageenan nasal spray. Not sure what else I can do- looking for some good suggestions!

Which of you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Psycho Society posted:

fridge nurse getting ready to wash their hands to ward off immunity debt, 2023

why does that building have a glory hole for knees