Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

Cuz windows are cooler than blast doors, and the General wants windows.

missed comedy about always having to replace cams and them being down for episodes. RDA would have had a field day with that running joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pixaal posted:

How is opening the gate when anything could walk through and all that protects you is glass not hazardous? Why do they ever open the blast doors? Should be the backup for when someone shoots out the cams They even have cameras in there!
Opening the gate is almost never dangerous, it's when it opens unexpectedly that can be an issue.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The windows were only an issue a couple of times. No one really came through blasting that often.

Did get pierced by an arrow though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FFT posted:

Opening the gate is almost never dangerous, it's when it opens unexpectedly that can be an issue.

Tell that to all those poor souls who were absolutely obliterated when they stood to close to a gate they manged to open for the first time!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Tell that to all those poor souls who were absolutely obliterated when they stood to close to a gate they manged to open for the first time!!!

There was that underground prison episode where some prisoners thought it wooshed them out of prison to freedom.

Poor sods.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There was the episode where people were going nuts because of a virus or someshit. One sg guy ran out and jumped into the vortex and everyone was just stunned.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

The windows were only an issue a couple of times. No one really came through blasting that often.

Did get pierced by an arrow though.

The Native American episode? wtf was going on there

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

Zat's are held from the bottom. that's a bootleg Zat right? It looks more like a Needler from Halo
It's obviously a reused asset, but you could call it a prototype Kull disruptor

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 26, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

The Native American episode? wtf was going on there

They had those weird gill face aliens posing as their "Spirits". Maybe they gave them a tech boost for their arrows.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If only Anubis had figured out the mystery of the bow and arrow, he surely would've gotten that dastardly Teal'c then.

It is funny that the show out-right calls the staff weapons as terror instruments and not exactly great at, you know, shooting people. The goa'uld were idiots, basically.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ever seen anyone need to reload a staff weapon or a Zat, though?

Kinda weird that no one else bothers to carry around the fully automatic wrist-mounted staff blaster the Kull carry, though. I'm late season 7 and they've gathered at least three of them.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 26, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

They had those weird gill face aliens posing as their "Spirits". Maybe they gave them a tech boost for their arrows.

They did, they had metal they called like the key maybe ki or something. It came from the river, part of allowing them to grow without interruption was giving the SGC enough to make a new iris upgrade out of. The aliens were refining the metal for them and just dropping it in the river.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

They did, they had metal they called like the key maybe ki or something. It came from the river, part of allowing them to grow without interruption was giving the SGC enough to make a new iris upgrade out of. The aliens were refining the metal for them and just dropping it in the river.

Nice memory!

A rather weak episode overall (compared to how good the show could be), but entertaining enough.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FFT posted:

They use the space battery from one once to make one of Carter's zany ideas work, but they seem to operate on Clarke's principle that it's all magic anyways. And while Chris Judge looks really freaking cool with the staff weapon, that is sort of the point, look really imposing and terrifying, right?

The zat guns (to quote Jack) are pretty nifty, but they have all these weird rules about them. A Tau'ri gun is straightforward, it even has a point and click interface. And apparently they shred through whatever that weird body armour is that the Jaffa are wearing.

Also, not exactly related, but this conversation brings to mind Jack and master Bra'tac arguing about what is a grenade. I love Bra'tac.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That episode is on where Sam and Kowalski arrive from an alternate reality, where the Goa'uld had just conquered Earth, and that Sam is married to the now dead Jack.

I find it hard to believe that a non Air Force Sam and Jack would get together. In our SG1 reality I get that they could have feelings for each other, but only because of the time they've spent together in SG1.

A Sam that is just a scientist and military Jack? I don't see them being compatible.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sam's love life was such a disaster. Martouf, Pete? Like, Pete? Geez louise lady, you can do better than Pete.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

That episode is on where Sam and Kowalski arrive from an alternate reality, where the Goa'uld had just conquered Earth, and that Sam is married to the now dead Jack.

I find it hard to believe that a non Air Force Sam and Jack would get together. In our SG1 reality I get that they could have feelings for each other, but only because of the time they've spent together in SG1.

A Sam that is just a scientist and military Jack? I don't see them being compatible.

sam was part of sg1 in that episode she was in daniels role. infact in all of the bad mirror realities ive seen daniel not being in sg1 is the driving force for them eating poo poo when apothis comes to earth. in that episode its implied that jack and sam have feelings for each other but that it wouldnt work because their both in the military and hes her commanding officer. thats later confirmed in the episode martoof dies in.

Rappaport posted:

Sam's love life was such a disaster. Martouf, Pete? Like, Pete? Geez louise lady, you can do better than Pete.

2nd worst episode ive seen is when they go put a stop to her ex fiance from going heart of darkness on a planet. i think youre also missing that tolaan who was in love her and she semi reciprocated. then it was martouf i havent gotten to pete but im sure hes gonna be a poo poo show. martouf and jack from the mirror episode were the only ones that were decent imo. the rest could easily be posted into the /r relationship mock thread and they probably couldnt tell the difference between an actual reddit post and the show.

snergle fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 26, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

snergle posted:

sam was part of sg1 in that episode she was in daniels role. infact in all of the bad mirror realities ive seen daniel not being in sg1 is the driving force for them eating poo poo when apothis comes to earth. in that episode its implied that jack and sam have feelings for each other but that it wouldnt work because their both in the military and hes her commanding officer. thats later confirmed in the episode martoof dies in.

Well Daniel being extremely important mostly comes down to the actions during the movie. Jack did have that lighter that helped bridge the gap too.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Rappaport posted:

Geez louise lady, you can do better than Pete.

Don't you mean "Geez DeLuise Lady..."?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Man the battle over Antartica is so cool. Very much a culmination of what all that technology acquiring has been leading to.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Don't you mean "Geez DeLuise Lady..."?

Maybe I do. English isn't my first language.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ahh binge watching these makes the new Weir so much weirder.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Man the battle over Antartica is so cool. Very much a culmination of what all that technology acquiring has been leading to.

Indeed.

On my rewatch, I was surprised how short it was. IIRC they got that whole action scene in the last 10 minutes of the episode, and just a few minutes of that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

Indeed.

On my rewatch, I was surprised how short it was. IIRC they got that whole action scene in the last 10 minutes of the episode, and just a few minutes of that.

Yeah it's relatively short, I think they do show varying angles/replays of it in the latter seasons though so it seems longer.

I somehow just noticed the Asgard have little teeth and it's very unnerving.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's the Miles O'Brian of Stargate. Still gate dialing

Siler is the Miles, he suffers in nearly every appearance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rappaport posted:

If only Anubis had figured out the mystery of the bow and arrow, he surely would've gotten that dastardly Teal'c then.

It is funny that the show out-right calls the staff weapons as terror instruments and not exactly great at, you know, shooting people. The goa'uld were idiots, basically.

Guns would be easier for their oppressed slaves to steal and use, staff weapons requiring tons of training and superhuman physique to wield effectively is a benefit from their perspective.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Rappaport posted:

Maybe I do. English isn't my first language.

I was just making a pun on the actor-who-played-Pete's last name: DeLuise.

He's the brother of Stargate's long-running director Peter DeLuise. Both their father and third brother have been in the show, too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Guns would be easier for their oppressed slaves to steal and use, staff weapons requiring tons of training and superhuman physique to wield effectively is a benefit from their perspective.

I just watched an episode where some religious nerd shot a Goa'uld Unas three times and lived to tell the late.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Siler is the Miles, he suffers in nearly every appearance.
In Heroes part 1 he gets filmed testing out the new anti-staff weapon armor plates, then later when they interview Janet he's in the background getting patched up lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Siler is also the stunt coordinator for the show, which makes him extra awesome.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Siler is also the stunt coordinator for the show, which makes him extra awesome.

He was RDAs stunt double from McGuyver too, I think

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Rappaport posted:

There's a reason her fan nickname is Black Widow

FFT posted:

In Heroes part 1 he gets filmed testing out the new anti-staff weapon armor plates, then later when they interview Janet he's in the background getting patched up lmao

"Why does this always happen to me?!!?"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

I like the time Jack yells I've done it again after using the fron grabbing machine.

That entire arc is hilarious and I love hologram o'neil playing with the lights. Absolutely one of my favourite moments in the show

https://youtu.be/8AS6z76vNBI

https://youtu.be/OAgf4KfmotU

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 27, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Armacham posted:

He was RDAs stunt double from McGuyver too, I think

Don S. Davis was the stunt double for Dana Elcar on McGuyver. It seems like RDA pulled some strings to get people he liked on SG1.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkPGEzoZns

I guess there is a demo out. I haven't played it yet.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

well why not posted:

Don S. Davis was the stunt double for Dana Elcar on McGuyver. It seems like RDA pulled some strings to get people he liked on SG1.

When you see him in interviews, Don Davis seemed like he was a really chill and easy-going person.

Also obligatory Chris Judge was on MacGyver too picture

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Couldn't get away with teacher tossing a student on his back in class these days, I tell ya.

Freaking Apophis....

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

FFT posted:

Reload no, but jack pulls out some liquid naquadah capsule out of a staff to power his jerry rigged Asgard dialer in 5th race, so they do have to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been watching SGA for the first time (other than a random episode here and there decades ago), almost done with Season 2, and I still hate Rodney.

He's cast as the arrogant sexist rear end in a top hat, so it's not like I'm making this up, but I really question this choice. There is no similar character on SG1 (except Rodney himself).

Hard to root for an rear end in a top hat. Even if he does save the day from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

I've been watching SGA for the first time (other than a random episode here and there decades ago), almost done with Season 2, and I still hate Rodney.

He's cast as the arrogant sexist rear end in a top hat, so it's not like I'm making this up, but I really question this choice. There is no similar character on SG1 (except Rodney himself).

Hard to root for an rear end in a top hat. Even if he does save the day from time to time.

He grows. I think they wanted something else with Atlantis and were chasing that edgier crowd at the time we're now in like 2004 Edge Lord media not 90s let's have a fun time.