Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I'm Hoistrope, Greek goddess of masonry

Ok I got a good chuckle out of that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*tips safety helmet* m'guylines

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

*tips safety helmet* m'guylines
Boo, m'guylines

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

I like how “sheave” isn’t even consistent.

I know, like three movies later he's just somehow BACK?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Just wanted to pop in to say that this is lowkey one of my favourite threads and has been for a long time. There are so many ways in which graphs & charts can be so-bad-it's-funny, and even the so-bad-it's-saddening examples are generally intriguing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Knormal posted:

Boo, m'guylines

It’s spooky season so it’s actually BOO!m’guylines

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

“Outrigger” joining the “r” and the “i” together getting dangerously close to an “n.”

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Wankhat" has a certain charm.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4117653/falcon-breeding-sex-head-hat-scotland/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The falcon breeding hat stay on during sex.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

steinrokkan posted:

I'm Hoistrope, Greek goddess of masonry

Her loyal servants Eubreakades and Eubuyades.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
CNN up to its usual standards:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can literally see tel aviv on the satellite picture lmao.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phanatic posted:

3856 points in GeoGuessr. Not bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pretty sure Texas can be explained entirely by Fort Hood.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phanatic posted:

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

This one also has a headline that aged wonderfully.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Adhemar posted:

This one also has a headline that aged wonderfully.
It didn't really need to age. Anyone reading between the lines knew exactly what was going on when Russia was exclaiming "I've got a Muslim terrorism problem too, if you help me I'll help you."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s what I said!

How is he finishing on the podium?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A mistaken assumption that American tourists will recognize the name and spend money there?

I'm more surprised how few have used the pre-Norman kings. There's so many great names there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Maybe it's just the right age for pubs to get names?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
popping down the sossy fingers for a quick pint after work, you up?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Considering that a lot of pubs have closed in the UK over the past few decades, it would be interesting to see if there are any historical datasets (records of registered businesses, I guess?) from the 20th century to do the same study on. Maybe the UK lost all its niche Anglo-Saxon monarch pubs to the rigours of market consolidation.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Æthelred Arms: You’ll Never Be Ready To Leave

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Runs into pub, breathless.

“A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse, I’m so hungry I could eat!”

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Honestly, though, there would be too many jokes and "innocent errors" about the name Harthacnut.

"Oi lads, let's head down to the Heartycunt!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BonHair posted:

Maybe it's just the right age for pubs to get names?

I'd consider trying to find a correlation between founding dates on the pubs and the monarch they're named after and see if there's a relationship.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
When was king Wetherspoon

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

There absolutely is a pub named after Brenda: it's on the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's one near me called the Norman Conquest so I feel like that's kinda named after big willy

Also if it's just called The King's Head they should go by which king's on the sign.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Also there are just a loving ton of pubs named the Royal Oak, which should totally be credited to Charles II. Or Oliver Cromwell, I suppose.

OwlFancier posted:

Also if it's just called The King's Head they should go by which king's on the sign.

If the king is Charles I, that should also probably be credited to Cromwell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

A mistaken assumption that American tourists will recognize the name and spend money there?

I'm more surprised how few have used the pre-Norman kings. There's so many great names there.

Aethelred the Unready was robbed

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Aethelred the Unready was robbed

He should have prepared better

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

It’s beautiful

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This is great. I do have done doubts about Russia having the most territory in Europe though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

This is great. I do have done doubts about Russia having the most territory in Europe though.

They're probably counting Russia's entire area, not just the part that is in Europe.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

BonHair posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia

"European Russia covers the vast majority of Eastern Europe, and spans roughly 40% of Europe's total landmass, with over 15% of its total population, making Russia the largest and most populous country in Europe."

Emphasis mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kantesu posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia

"European Russia covers the vast majority of Eastern Europe, and spans roughly 40% of Europe's total landmass, with over 15% of its total population, making Russia the largest and most populous country in Europe."

Emphasis mine

I guess that actually makes sense. I mean, in a world where the division between Europe and Asia is clear cut if you want percentages. And I guess you also have to account for Ukraine nowadays, both in terms of territory and population.