Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

Steve, after opening a container of what basically amounts to baby food: “That looks great!”

Was it also delectable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nice hiss

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Is he a BillyMC where he sounds a certain way and then you see him and he's absolutely jacked?

BillyMC ftw

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BillyMC a real one

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gamer gate adjacent, and had a heated gamer moment where he tweeted at someone wishing they die of cancer, arguably resulting in a reversal of fortune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wEs9x7G3w

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gamer gate destroyed so many gamers guess thats why they called it gamergate

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

For a time after his death if you brought up the tweet of total biscuit wishing cancer and death, you'd get yelled at and people would say he's a changed man and shouldn't let his past dictate his present. Yeah he changed to a corpse

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'll rip TotalBiscut's heart out as part of a profane ritual to summon the wrathful aspect of Kali to inhabit my body and rain terror down across the countryside.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'll rip TotalBiscut's heart out as part of a profane ritual to summon the wrathful aspect of Kali to inhabit my body and rain terror down across the countryside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35Dxb_V2Sc

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

For a time after his death if you brought up the tweet of total biscuit wishing cancer and death, you'd get yelled at and people would say he's a changed man and shouldn't let his past dictate his present. Yeah he changed to a corpse

I do remember seeing some of TB's later videos and thinking "it took literal loving terminal cancer for him to start to even practice being a decent person to other human beings."

Like yeah, I did believe he was trying to change back then (at least at the time), but... it took cancer for this development?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gamer gate destroyed so many gamers guess thats why they called it gamergate

gamers are dead

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What do you think happened to all the dumb teens who got wrapped up in it? I have to imagine that some are now elected officials and perhaps judges.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I AM GRANDO posted:

What do you think happened to all the dumb teens who got wrapped up in it? I have to imagine that some are now elected officials and perhaps judges.

#istandwithvic

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Or become incels or maga right wing youth voters.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I AM GRANDO posted:

Some ended up relatively quiet after all that went down but if it wasn’t poo poo like MAGA in general, people like Andrew Tate or other streamer shitheads blew the hinges off the floodgates

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

dude sent me death threats and sicced his fans on me because i said there shouldn't be transphobia in a video game (pillars of eternity) at the height of gamergate. had people trying to get into my accounts for a year because of that poo poo.

Gamer gate adjacent, and had a heated gamer moment where he tweeted at someone wishing they die of cancer, arguably resulting in a reversal of fortune

....oh. i see. i recalled that he supported GG in the very beginning, but unlike every other GG'er, he seemed like he actually believed in the "ethics in games journalism" thing. at least, that's the impression i got when he was interviewed by David Pakman, and didn't mention anything about women, minorities or SJWs at the time. i thought he left that sphere once it became clear what GG was actually about

Garrand posted:

gamers are dead

captainamericaiknowthisreference.gif

Grassy Knowles posted:

#istandwithvic

yes, there were similar movements like comicsgate and animegate that tried to ride GG's coattails, but they only wound up with a fraction of the influence for some reason (thankfully).

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 26, 2023

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Mr Interweb posted:

....oh. i see. i recalled that he supported GG in the very beginning, but unlike every other GG'er, he seemed like he actually believed in the "ethics in games journalism" thing. at least, that's the impression i got when he was interviewed by David Pakman, and didn't mention anything about women, minorities or SJWs at the time. i thought he left that sphere once it became clear what GG was actually about

He never addressed his role in the GG awfulness, and refused to apologise for any of his actions. He chose a pretty rotten way to spend his last years.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was never about ethics in games journalism that was a shield used as an excuse to harass people over the dumbest poo poo you could think of

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the actual "ethics in game journalism" debate happened way earlier when jeff gerstman got fired for writing a negative review of Kane & Lynch against gamespot company mandate, which led to the creation of Giant Bomb. this led to no real increase in ethics in game journalism.

gamergate happened because a dude got mad his ex-girlfriend made a game about being depressed. this led to a net negative to the ethics in game journalism.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

"he wasnt a misogynist he was just unbelievably dense" is a pretty funny epitaph tho I'll give it that

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

He actually had a pretty interesting discussion with Stephen Totilo from Kotaku on the subject, which was one of the 2-3 good things that came out of that entire mess. But yeah, TB stopped talking about it the moment facade dropped, as did anyone worth anything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Archer666 posted:

He actually had a pretty interesting discussion with Stephen Totilo from Kotaku on the subject, which was one of the 2-3 good things that came out of that entire mess. But yeah, TB stopped talking about it the moment facade dropped, as did anyone worth anything.

I knew at least one guy who wasn't a chud who kept trying to "reclaim" GG as a movement about journalistic ethics, saying that's what it was first and they just needed to shake off the racists and misogynists. Which at that point was as effective as "actually it's a Hindu symbol".

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Is he a BillyMC where he sounds a certain way and then you see him and he's absolutely jacked?

this dude is jacked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKigLXLyQjk

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Garrand posted:

gamers are dead

Finally, a deed to surpass the killing of God.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Yeah, looks like a regular guy to me, still doesn't match his voice

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Whirling posted:

its so funny how low IQ /v/ posters are. that matthewmatosis vid about dark souls 2 was so popular with that kind of guy because he pandered to them, and that video can be boiled down to matthew being incapable of understanding themes in a game and incapable of actually playing the game (dude gets his rear end kicked by prowling magus and the congregation, which is one of the easiest fights in any souls game).

the hbomberguy video was even worse somehow

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

dark souls 2 is neither horrible nor a secret hidden masterpiece lol. nobody can b normal about it and finally admitthat its actually just kingsfield v

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ds2 is a mess but despite all its faults i thought it had a lot of charm (though whoever decided on the severe penalty for fall damage while having a game full of platforming deserves quite the beating)

still preferred it to dark souls 3, which is completely creatively bankrupt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Maybe at one point. I'm probably half remembering from ancient retsupurae videos.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I have grown to despise the way Nostalgia Nerd is titling and thumbnailing his videos now. It was cheeky enough when he started doing "GBR Thrifts" (not least because we don't even CALL it thrifting over here) but this clickbait stuff is just exhausting.

Also barely anyone *HATED* SQIJ, because budget games on tape cost like £1 or £2, so you a) could buy a new game every week or so even when you were a kid and your only income was pocket money and b) were conditioned to expect every second or third game to be poo poo anyway.

I think it was the same deal in Portugal. You have people openly talking on the radio on how you could go to this open market with a bag full of tapes and a guy there with a decent recorder would burn you all sorts of titles on this, and I think you could argue the same about our bigger attraction towards famiclones. I didn't luck out on getting a speedloader, so every title would take ages to load and thus was an higher crapshoot.

I sorta get the clickbaitedness, given the treatment of it on rankings and the mythology around the game. There's this recent trend of re-evaluating titles with modern eyes and slight tinkering, with the Atari ET game having a somewhat interesting page on what lead to it. Or most of ThorHighHeels's youtube career. SQIJ manages to break thru all of that. There's no one making a giant thread on how SQIJ is a reasonable title if you put your mind into it and are just jealous of the owl that wants to eat everthing bc we all sees ourselves as it or some nonsense like that. Yes, a company gave a child an insane as hell assignment, barely checked it, and the kid valued more his academical career and own sense of worth than a doomed project dumped on his lap.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kunster posted:

I think it was the same deal in Portugal. You have people openly talking on the radio on how you could go to this open market with a bag full of tapes and a guy there with a decent recorder would burn you all sorts of titles on this, and I think you could argue the same about our bigger attraction towards famiclones. I didn't luck out on getting a speedloader, so every title would take ages to load and thus was an higher crapshoot.

Oh I meant that the various 8 bit machines had budget titles available legitimately for between £1 and £3 - like, £2.99 got you a Mastertronic Added Dimension title which were their premium games like Countdown to Meltdown or The Last V8, which were fancy. You could build up a library on very little outlay so if you got stuck with something like SQIJ you'd probably only play it for a few days before giving up and going back to a good one until you got to the shops again (and every supermarket going had C64, Spectrum and Amstrad games).

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Dongicus posted:

dark souls 2 is neither horrible nor a secret hidden masterpiece lol. nobody can b normal about it and finally admitthat its actually just kingsfield v

agreed. they took all the good stuff 2 did and put it in elden ring without any of the stupid poo poo like adaptability

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Algo has been pitching this to me for a bit, I'm enjoying it. Pleasantl;y-voiced Southern US man on Libertarian kids books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhe0LgQDgNg

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DS2 was and still is the best of the Souls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All of the Dark Souls games are simultaneously the best and worst in the series.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

come on lol. its not even the best kingsfield game...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

All of the Dark Souls games are simultaneously the best and worst in the series.
This is true, however

0 rows returned posted:

ds2 is a mess but despite all its faults i thought it had a lot of charm
This is also true, so in conclusion:

Yardbomb posted:

Powerstancing was the best implementation of dual wielding whatever you wanted.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dongicus posted:

dark souls 2 is neither horrible nor a secret hidden masterpiece lol.

Well, yeah, it sold over 2.5 million copies. That's not very secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Honestly yeah, they’ve all got their own strengths and flaws such that I feel like you could make a solid argument for any of them being the best or worst.