Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

NikkolasKing posted:

In addition to volume extra goodies, another reason I wanna read at last some of the manga is to see what I "missed" in Season 5. So many manga readers I read claimed My Villain Academia is one the best parts of the story but Season 5 was horrible and ruined it. It wasn't even things being out of order which sucked for me, it was how truncated and hollow everything felt.

I guess I gotta buy Volume 21-26 off Viz. Been a long time since I bought from Viz.

Have you considered subscribing to Shounen Jump online for one month (US $2.99) and reading it there? Or are you geolocked out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Have you considered subscribing to Shounen Jump online for one month (US $2.99) and reading it there? Or are you geolocked out?

No, I never thought of that. I even get a 7 day free trial, too. Thanks for letting me know.

The last time I got manga from Viz was forever ago. I just bought the NGE manga, Death Note, and they used to run these "bulk deals" so I think I got the first few volumes for Psyren or something. But yeah, I never subscribed to SJ. I should do that, especially if it has Inuyasha. I alwys hated how The Final Act adapted the end of the series (speaking of horribly "truncated and hollow" adaptations...) and then it took forever for someoen in Japan to let them digitally publish IY. So I can look into finishing that along with reading those volumes of MHA.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Each week we draw closer to Bakugo heroically punching a baby.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Finally, Bakugo is doing what he does best bully people smaller than himself.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sindai posted:

Each week we draw closer to Bakugo heroically punching a baby.

Good. Good.

Also His quirk being what restarted his heart was funny. Like nah all that stuff I did, didn't do poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I am so very happy that this is the route taken and have now grown to like this final fight because, narratively, it comes together.

So All for One's entire thing is he uses narrative tropes and styles himself around the comic book ideal that he is the demon king and he'll face the chosen hero. That X won't work and Y can't stop him. But he doesn't get to lose because Deku punches him in the jaw and that took him down, he doesn't lose because All Might got his quirk back. He's going to lose because of all these "Extra's". Because all these little people who none of them COULD stop him, all their ultimate attacks couldn't keep him down, but they chipped away at him each time, they stalled him, they forced him to give up more and more and he's been denied every victory he's wanted, instead of Doomsday slaughtering the heroes before finally going down to Superman, he's going to go down to all these tiny pathetic people and their stupid bullshit that he's so above. He doesn't get to go down to One For All, he doesn't get his final bombastic showdown, he gets a slow, death by 1000 cuts of people who just refused to let him have his way.

Of course, the narrative doesn't change that I still think this has been rushed through and that Hori's killing himself trying to get to the end and the legitimate issues people can have with it, but, I like it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Bakugo now seemingly having constant little explosion freworks going off around him is something that I hope just keeps going so we can see it being annoying in day-to-day life.

He cannot stop twinkling.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Onmi posted:

I am so very happy that this is the route taken and have now grown to like this final fight because, narratively, it comes together.

There's another two bits of narrative coming together here.

Bakugo is succeeding All Might by defeating the opponent AM couldn't overcome. "A true hero wins all battles."

Deku is will succeed All Might by saving the person AM couldn't save. "A true hero saves everybody."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'll remain skeptical until AFO's bag of tricks is confirmed depleted. I've had enough "Invisible Girl is the traitor!" and "Stain is here to do something!" fake outs deceive me.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I wonder if Edgeshot is a worm forever now.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Onmi posted:

So All for One's entire thing is he uses narrative tropes and styles himself around the comic book ideal that he is the demon king and he'll face the chosen hero. That X won't work and Y can't stop him. But he doesn't get to lose because Deku punches him in the jaw and that took him down, he doesn't lose because All Might got his quirk back. He's going to lose because of all these "Extra's". Because all these little people who none of them COULD stop him, all their ultimate attacks couldn't keep him down, but they chipped away at him each time, they stalled him, they forced him to give up more and more and he's been denied every victory he's wanted, instead of Doomsday slaughtering the heroes before finally going down to Superman, he's going to go down to all these tiny pathetic people and their stupid bullshit that he's so above. He doesn't get to go down to One For All, he doesn't get his final bombastic showdown, he gets a slow, death by 1000 cuts of people who just refused to let him have his way.

Of course, the narrative doesn't change that I still think this has been rushed through and that Hori's killing himself trying to get to the end and the legitimate issues people can have with it, but, I like it.

i really like this take because it makes bakugo's line at the end of the chapter even better. AFO is the hero of his own little game, and despite getting owned twice he's back and mowing through everyone-- he didn't save his elixirs tho. shigaraki was the only one with a True Gamer Mindset

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Literally AFO:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I wonder if Edgeshot is a worm forever now.

Would you still love him if he was? :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

This is a good take, but my confidence in MHA writing is low enough that I fully expect that AfO busts out anti-perspiration Quirk in the next chapter.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

i would be cool with bakugo beating AFO and deku beating/redeeming shigaraki

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bakugo being AFO's final boss is great. Bully the baby, Bakugo, save the world.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Terper posted:

Bakugo being AFO's final boss is great. Bully the baby, Bakugo, save the world.

I like how he didn't even know for sure he was AFO, he just blew the arms off a random glowing kid and then was like "that was a bad guy, right?"

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 27, 2023

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fully on board with All Might complaining Bakugo stole his line after Bakugo spewed blood.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bakugo will succeed All Might, but in terms of being torn to poo poo and vomiting blood all the time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've shat on this manga for the last year but I gotta admit the last few chapters have been extremely good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All Might always brings out the best in this manga. He truly is the world's greatest hero.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dolash posted:

Bakugo will succeed All Might, but in terms of being torn to poo poo and vomiting blood all the time.

Deku got the good powers, Bakugo gets the second place loser prizes

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think my favorite trope in Shounen is when the smug, invincible villain who has been no selling the heroes drops that smug mask, loses their poo poo, and turns into a petulant loser when the tide turns. And it’s extremely cathartic to see AFO start to realize he’s been losing this entire time, and King Explosion Murder God Dynamite is going to deny him the victory he thinks he deserves

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 29, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think my favorite trope in Shounen is when the smug, invincible villain who has been no selling the heroes drops that smug mash, loses their poo poo, and turns into a petulant loser when the tide turns. And it’s excellent cathartic to see AFO start to realize he’s been losing this entire time, and King Explosion Murder God Dynamite is going to deny him the victory he thinks he deserves

jfc it’s Great Explosion Murder God Dyna Might.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is that the Second that AFO flashed back to as he looks at Bakugo?

His ancestor? Or Back You Go confirmed?

Could be that he just reminds him of the second, of all the users the 2nd is probably the one he hates the most since he's the one that "killed" his brother

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bakugo grabbing afo's head with a primed mega bomb and a savage grin is so hype. bakugowns!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-405/chapter/40762?action=read
Chapter officially out. Completely forgot how dumb Bakugo's resurrection was lol. OFA's eyes slowly lighting up again is the coolest thing, however.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bakugou grinning like that is extremely cursed.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm not even sure who is saying "oof"/"urk" but everything between that and puking up edgeshot was the perfect amount of levity. if there had been more moments like this mixed into everything this last arc i think folks would view it a lot differently, though AM is a cheat code in that regard

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AFO can't grab onto someone who is literally sweating constant explosions

Also basically Bakugo should still be kind of dead, but his quirk keeps restarting his systems... he is literally too angry to die.

HEAR ME NOW THREAD

MAN IS TOO ANGRY TO DIE

EVIL BABY IS ABOUT TO LEARN WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BULLIED

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

AtomikKrab posted:

AFO can't grab onto someone who is literally sweating constant explosions

Also basically Bakugo should still be kind of dead, but his quirk keeps restarting his systems... he is literally too angry to die.

HEAR ME NOW THREAD

MAN IS TOO ANGRY TO DIE

EVIL BABY IS ABOUT TO LEARN WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BULLIED

I assumed it was a situation of Horikoshi not knowing how Nitroglycerin works or what it does medically

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm down with Bakugo being functionally immortal as long a he stays pissed off.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Finally, the sequel to Crank we deserve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Asura's Wrath: the Son of Asura

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1721094137972507030

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Spoilers are out. These bitches is gay

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't know who or what you're talking about but good

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Everyone.

EVERYONE.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's you, the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now I'm imagining a version of this story where Bakugo and Deku declare their love for each other on the battlefield, annoying All for One into an aneurysm because nobody is even paying attention to him any more.