Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zadok Allen posted:

I really enjoyed Fairy Tale

I groaned out loud at King's "I'M GOING TO CRAM IN SOME UNDERAGE SEX AT THE LAST MINUTE LOL" shenanigans.

Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit when I realized it was, in fact, an old-fashioned fairy tale. Vast improvement over Billy Summers, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"What is this novel missing....hmmm. Wait, I've got IT!"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I groaned out loud at King's "I'M GOING TO CRAM IN SOME UNDERAGE SEX AT THE LAST MINUTE LOL" shenanigans.

Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit when I realized it was, in fact, an old-fashioned fairy tale. Vast improvement over Billy Summers, anyway.

Kinda had to throw the kid a bone. He got his rear end kicked while saving a whole drat magical world that he doesn't get to go back to or take any gold out of. At least he got laid out of the whole ordeal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

Kinda had to throw the kid a bone. He got his rear end kicked while saving a whole drat magical world that he doesn't get to go back to or take any gold out of. At least he got laid out of the whole ordeal.

Yeah yeah sure. But you know what I mean. The novel could have just not had it vOv

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
he did take that 8 pound door-knocker

After almost a year on the wait list at the library, it was finally my turn for The Eyes of the Dragon (audiobook). I like it so far, kind of a slow start but it's rolling along now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve never really liked Eyes of the Dragon but I respect that he says he wrote it as a book for his children and then 6 pages later the king is talking about getting his dick hard

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It was my first King book, I read it in middle school and loved it. No idea if it would hold up as an adult though.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah yeah sure. But you know what I mean. The novel could have just not had it vOv

What really bugs me is although he doesn't exactly bring his dog back to life, he uses supernatural forces to vastly extend her life. Did we learn nothing from Pet Semetary??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

What really bugs me is although he doesn't exactly bring his dog back to life, he uses supernatural forces to vastly extend her life. Did we learn nothing from Pet Semetary??

And it isn't even a good boy!

CyberGeist
Aug 31, 2001
WORTHLESS
Been a long time fan of King but just now got to reading/listening to IT and holy poo poo why did I wait so long to read this?

The 1990 TV Miniseries holds a special place in my heart and head so I have just been living off that for so long that I didn't think I needed to read the book and man, was I so WRONG.

The descriptions of the Losers and what they go though, the way Pennywise is described and the poo poo he puts everyone though. I'm just a bit over half way though and I think I even teared up a bit when it was Ben's POV as a kid (being a current fat kid myself after 40+ years).

I know there is no way in hell anything will match the raw terror and dread this book brings and I think there isn't going to be anything else out there that will match this in my mind.

BEEP BEEP RICHIE

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

IT is one of the best horror novels ever written. Enjoy it!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I first read IT in about 1989 or so. Reading it gave me a really weird feeling, because years earlier, when I was about seven or eight, I had this period of time when I lived with a horrific fear.

Adults had been telling me there were no real monsters, and I did believe them, but at some point around that age I came up with a theory.

What if there are no monsters, EXCEPT, if I really believed enough in a monster, my own fear and belief was enough to make it exist?

And like, maybe it didn’t exist as far as other people were concerned. Nobody else could see it, but I could, and it was real enough to hurt me, and only me.

I struggled with this for a couple of years, and had a lot of times laying in bed at night where I just knew that there was a thing in my closet, or under the bed, made real by my own fear.

I’d lay in bed shivering, trying to will myself to NOT believe in it, because that would make it go away.

Anyway, this isn’t quite the same thing Pennywise does in the book, but there are certainly some similarities. And many years later reading IT, some of the sequences, like Mike cowering in the standpipe with a giant bird stalking around outside, and especially the horrific scene where Eddie Corcoran has his head pulled off by the Creature From the Black Lagoon… reading those parts were almost like a bad trip for me.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The whole book is a bad trip and it owns.

But the book didn't scare young me nearly as much as pennywise coming up out of the drain pipe in the miniseries. I was scared of drains after that for years :froggonk:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 27, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The flying leeches coming out of the refrigerator gave me nightmares for weeks back when I read IT in high school.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Among the many reasons Pennywise is an excellent character, the novel (at least in the beginning) acts like kids might just be getting kidnapped and murdered by an actual real crazy person, nobody has any clue that they're dealing with a....whatever he is.

That was super scary for me as a kid, because it was a relatively realistic thing to imagine. I might be walking home someday and just vanish, and Derry just ho-hum keeps it moving along

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I saw the mini series when I was way too young which led to years and years of nightmares, up until my teens. Kinda grew over it but even in my late teens just thinking about pennywise was enough to give me a start and keep me up for an hour or so until I calmed down.

Then when I was around 20 I started reading King and reading IT was loving intense, but also really cathartic and allowed me to let the fear go completely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I think that IT, at its core, is about overcoming childish and adolescent fear combined with the realization that adults can not only not always protect you, but are often the ones actively causing harm (Eddie's mom, Bev's Dad). I think I read IT in like 10th grade and it resonated with me on those levels. It was somewhere between the monster in the closet actually being real that an 8 year old fears and the "oh my god" understanding that grown ups can be terrible monsters too once you hit puberty and see adults for what they are and that, at a certain point, there might not be anyone to guard you from those things.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I think that IT, at its core, is about overcoming childish and adolescent fear combined with the realization that adults can not only not always protect you, but are often the ones actively causing harm

That is really a perfect summary.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eason the Fifth posted:

But the book didn't scare young me nearly as much as pennywise coming up out of the drain pipe in the miniseries. I was scared of drains after that for years :froggonk:
loving same.

I read It as an adult and the one thing that really scared me is when Bill hears Georgie's voice on the radio. I can't really explain why.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I really like the realistic portrayal of Bill's parents slowly drifting apart after the death of their son. There's just a big silence that keeps growing.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Reading Fairy Tale right now. Loving how the entire first quarter of the book is a gentle slice of life story about a kind-hearted teenager befriending his lonely old neighbour, with barely a hint of what the rest of the novel's going to be like.

Also loving King's sincere and earnest attempt to write a modern teenager :laugh: He does his best, with talk of Youtube videos and social media but the protagonist feels very much like a boy from another era, from his pop culture references: "The house looked just like the one in the 1960 film, Psycho, a movie that I, a teenager in 2010ish, would definitely have seen." to his bad behaviour: tipping over gravestones and stealing mail, the young varmint!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

...to his bad behaviour: tipping over gravestones and stealing mail, the young varmint!

Doesn't he know the youth of today steal gravestones and tip over mailboxes! Those drat mixed up youth of today what it to become of them!!!

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

to his bad behaviour: tipping over gravestones and stealing mail, the young varmint!

Yeah, the recurring feelings of guilt he had for those acts was kinda out of step with how mild they were, but I guess that kinda underscores how decent of a kid he is.

Just finished The Institute recently, and liked it fine. It felt a bit...not short but truncated, like the actual action within the book didn't really amount to much when you look back at it. Very cool ideas in there about the existence of a worldwide Shop/Institute going on, though, and the kid characters were fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MNIMWA posted:

Yeah, the recurring feelings of guilt he had for those acts was kinda out of step with how mild they were, but I guess that kinda underscores how decent of a kid he is.

I guess it’s a stretch but I kinda read it partly as him just not admitting to the worst stuff he did even in his memoirs, since iirc at the end he admits he straight up stole someone’s crutches and threw them away which is legitimately vile. . It does feel weirdly out of step until that point, yeah.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MNIMWA posted:

Just finished The Institute recently, and liked it fine. It felt a bit...not short but truncated, like the actual action within the book didn't really amount to much when you look back at it. Very cool ideas in there about the existence of a worldwide Shop/Institute going on, though, and the kid characters were fun.

I liked The Institute well enough too, but I think it feels that way because a lot of its ideas don't really connect that well. There's a lot of stuff in the first 50% of the book about the social dynamics of Front Half that never leads anywhere before it's dropped in the back. The climax involving a plucky small town coming together to defeat the conspiracy with the power of the Second Amendment is really weak and feels like King indulging his desire to end his story with a heroic shootout. But it's still enjoyable! Feels like a weird mixture of a lot of his best books, and it's less than the sum of its parts, but still tots up to a pretty high number.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Reading Fairy Tale right now. Loving how the entire first quarter of the book is a gentle slice of life story about a kind-hearted teenager befriending his lonely old neighbour, with barely a hint of what the rest of the novel's going to be like.

Also loving King's sincere and earnest attempt to write a modern teenager :laugh: He does his best, with talk of Youtube videos and social media but the protagonist feels very much like a boy from another era, from his pop culture references: "The house looked just like the one in the 1960 film, Psycho, a movie that I, a teenager in 2010ish, would definitely have seen." to his bad behaviour: tipping over gravestones and stealing mail, the young varmint!

My 17-year-old occasionally drops old pop-culture references that surprise me, and I know he doesn't watch movies/listen to music. It turns out that memes and youtubers reference old pop-culture all the time, so he's soaking it all up from there. It's likely he would recognize the Pyscho house, and perhaps some famous scenes, but have no idea about the plot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's reminding me a teeny bit of a YA version of Wolfe's Wizard Knight, if you can imagine that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Canuckistan posted:

My 17-year-old occasionally drops old pop-culture references that surprise me, and I know he doesn't watch movies/listen to music. It turns out that memes and youtubers reference old pop-culture all the time, so he's soaking it all up from there. It's likely he would recognize the Pyscho house, and perhaps some famous scenes, but have no idea about the plot.

I mean the Simpsons and the Critic were doing the exact same thing 30 years ago and it's how I was able to keep up with my late father-in-law's Soupy Sales references.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CyberGeist posted:

I know there is no way in hell anything will match the raw terror and dread this book brings and I think there isn't going to be anything else out there that will match this in my mind.

Only one of his books has ever given me legit terror and dread (Pet Semetary, thanks weird grief issues from childhood), but when he called it his "masters thesis on horror" he wasn't loving kidding.

It's a tragedy so much of my favorite poo poo is more or less unfilmable or "disposable" for screenwriters, like all the interludes. I mean:

quote:

'It didn't hover,' he said. 'It floated. It floated.'
:drat:

Pistol_Pete posted:

It can't be any worse than the rad skateboarding teens from Under the Dome

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hahah I just finished Fairy Tale and had almost the exact same thought. Ah, what a neat twist, he doesn't get the princess probably makes sense since he's a kid and wait what's happening now oh yeah that's right Stephen King

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Read needful things and i really liked it.

I think it's the one with the worst quality to reputation ratio of the ones I've read so far. As in, it's really good but unkown.

It's almost begging to be adapted into a miniseries.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've stopped reading Fairy Tale now. I kind of get what King was trying to do but the bit where the kid gets captured by the baddies, thrown into a dungeon, then forced to do evil sports practice by evil coaches in a big sports stadium is so loving stupid that it's put me off the rest of the book.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've stopped reading Fairy Tale now. I kind of get what King was trying to do but the bit where the kid gets captured by the baddies, thrown into a dungeon, then forced to do evil sports practice by evil coaches in a big sports stadium is so loving stupid that it's put me off the rest of the book.

Yeah I enjoyed the book quite a bit up until that part, and then I just didn't feel like reading it. Book took way longer than normal books I read because I'd do like a chapter or two at a time and then put it down

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mr. Nemo posted:

Read needful things and i really liked it.
I think it's the one with the worst quality to reputation ratio of the ones I've read so far. As in, it's really good but unkown.
It's almost begging to be adapted into a miniseries.

There's a feature length movie of Needful Things (but no miniseries) just in case you weren't aware.

I just finished a re-read of Cujo for the first time since I was a teenager (wow, that really is a bummer of a book) and Needful Things is next in my re-read pile.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

The Berzerker posted:

There's a feature length movie of Needful Things (but no miniseries) just in case you weren't aware.

Yeah, but it managed to waste Max von Sydow, I meant a good one.

All the rest of the big ones had a revival, It, Stand, Carrie, Firestartar, Salem's lot is on the way, but not this one. And with the lean towards miniseries it could ave more time to breathe than in a movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its time to adapt roadwork

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
No joke, Roadwork could be a really tight little movie or short series.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Adapt the long walk you cowards

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah, but it managed to waste Max von Sydow, I meant a good one.

All the rest of the big ones had a revival, It, Stand, Carrie, Firestartar, Salem's lot is on the way, but not this one. And with the lean towards miniseries it could ave more time to breathe than in a movie.

I kinda hate the needful things movie/series because it kinda fucks up the ending by turning it into a very dumb west wing moment while in the book, that “kinda” happens but it’s way way more grim. I mean I get why they changed it for a tv movie but ehh.

I also saw cujo finally and I liked it overall but it very much works more as a novella than a novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

Adapt the long walk you cowards

Stage play. Make the whole floor a giant treadmill.