Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

cat posts.txt posted:

Is there a thread for giving advice on what language to learn? I've been wanting to for years but can't seem to decide what would benefit me/be fun to study the most.

I know a little Spanish, a lot of Serbian (family from there, so I can read Cyrillic) and some Swedish because of a Moomin themed hyperfixation. I'm in Cyber Security so I'm kinda leaning towards Russian since I can already read Cyrillic and it'd be nice for my job, but idk. Just looking for input. :)

FWIW I tried learning Russian off and off for years with little success; there just aren't that many good English-language resources out there. You may be able to find stuff in Serbian though...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

FWIW I tried learning Russian off and off for years with little success; there just aren't that many good English-language resources out there. You may be able to find stuff in Serbian though...

You might want to try at least off and on next time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I got a BA in Latin a long time ago and if you post the phrase I will look at it next time I check this thread

Thanks. I just sent you a PM. :)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Every place that looks remotely like foodservice is asking for a tip these days. Are those employees still paid hourly like untipped employees, or is this a way for the owners to treat them as tipped employees paying $2.75/hr or whatever it is for tipped people and then only pay them up if the tips don't get them whatever the relevant minimum hourly wage is? Or did someone just figure out if you put a tip screen on the cardreader a bunch of people will leave tips they wouldn't otherwise have left if a tip jar for cash was sitting there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Every place that looks remotely like foodservice is asking for a tip these days. Are those employees still paid hourly like untipped employees, or is this a way for the owners to treat them as tipped employees paying $2.75/hr or whatever it is for tipped people and then only pay them up if the tips don't get them whatever the relevant minimum hourly wage is? Or did someone just figure out if you put a tip screen on the cardreader a bunch of people will leave tips they wouldn't otherwise have left if a tip jar for cash was sitting there.

It’s gross and an amalgamation of a lot of these things, different companies using different reasonings.
Some it’s a clear oppo to try to pay less, some it’s discouraging unionization, some are trying to kill tipping by adding it everywhere they can, some are trying to kill the minimum wage by making everyone tipped.
I know of multiple businesses where the digital tips aren’t going to the staff who help you (legal or illegal), one being a p ardent vegan spot, so as always tip if you were gonna and try to do it in cash.

https://www.businessinsider.com/starbucks-worker-feels-strange-asking-for-tips-2023-5 apparently in some places it is leading to income increases but I am positive that is a temporary boost that will normalize to near-previous levels

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just got back from a trip to England and the complete absence of a "how much ya gonna tip" screen -- even at sit-down restaurants -- was amazing in how glorious it felt. Coffee shops, restaurants, bars, nary a tip request to be found.

E: and the menu prices weren't that far off what I'd expect to pay here. Manchester was cheaper than London but the London prices were certainly comparable to any reasonably sized US city, especially when you factor in that VAT was already worked into the displayed prices and US sales tax is essentially added on after the fact. Completely torpedoes the argument that menu prices would go up hugely in the US with a living wage paid to wait staff.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 26, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Do shows like Great British Bake Off & Jeopardy have staff who do nothing but deep social media dives on prospective contestants? Guessing it would be worth it to know ahead of time if someone was a Reddit mod of an unfortunate community before he had to be told to never come back mid contest.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a pest control thread by any chance?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Do shows like Great British Bake Off & Jeopardy have staff who do nothing but deep social media dives on prospective contestants? Guessing it would be worth it to know ahead of time if someone was a Reddit mod of an unfortunate community before he had to be told to never come back mid contest.

i used to do that for a publishing house for prospective authors but it was more like "is this person popular, do people talk about their work, are they active on social media every day, will they need any handholding".

also reddit accounts are completely anonymous and have no identifying info unless you go out of your way to add it. you dont even need an email address to make an account there

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a pest control thread by any chance?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hopefully they've gotten a bit better in the last few years

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ndroidApp_Other

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Just got back from a trip to England and the complete absence of a "how much ya gonna tip" screen -- even at sit-down restaurants -- was amazing in how glorious it felt. Coffee shops, restaurants, bars, nary a tip request to be found.

E: and the menu prices weren't that far off what I'd expect to pay here. Manchester was cheaper than London but the London prices were certainly comparable to any reasonably sized US city, especially when you factor in that VAT was already worked into the displayed prices and US sales tax is essentially added on after the fact. Completely torpedoes the argument that menu prices would go up hugely in the US with a living wage paid to wait staff.

It's glorious not having to think about tipping. I had a bit of an adjustment period moving to a country where folks didn't tip and not knowing the currency. Accidentally gave a Pizza Hut server a 70% tip and they clearly thought I was hitting on them.

I've found tipping is still expected at any fine dining place I've been to in the world. But if I'm already paying for a 200 dollar meal, in for a penny in for a pound.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

They've started adding those tipping screens for a lot of website-based food ordering stuff, including those order-off-a-qr-code-on-the-table ones. In Australia, where we have no tipping!

Anyway, my small question: I have a very fluffy cat, and when I brush him it builds up a static charge and, as I stroke him with my free hand, he gets zapped. I don't think he likes it very much (heck, I don't).

Would an anti-static wristband help?

Now for the silly question: would it go on me, or the cat (somehow)? By brushing the cat, wouldn't I be charging his fur, rather than charging myself?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I've worked for sports teams, and we would hire people to do social media background checks for that kind of stuff, people who do these kinds of checks for a living. I'm guessing it's easier to outsource this kind of work, but maybe the production companies have their own staff. I'm certain someone does background checks for these shows.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sounds like companies that do general background checks have expanded to also do casting focused ones.

https://www.jdp.com/industries/entertainment/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw0NoAFrX4x/

What is this piece being played in Anthony Hopkins' Instagram post? It's lovely.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw0NoAFrX4x/

What is this piece being played in Anthony Hopkins' Instagram post? It's lovely.

Music in Twelve Parts: Part IX, by Philip Glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPyoHHgLfo

edit: At least that's what my app said. Listening to it... no it is not.

He may just be playing randomly.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 26, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Music in Twelve Parts: Part IX, by Philip Glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPyoHHgLfo

I don't know why I'm laughing so much. Did you Shazam the Instagram post and then immediately share the result?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I don't know why I'm laughing so much. Did you Shazam the Instagram post and then immediately share the result?

yes lol, I edited too

mystes
May 31, 2006

The comments on that philip glass piece are saying that Shazam identified other stuff as that too

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's really interesting. I would love to know what quirk in Shazam sends people to that piece in particular

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Do Millenials have a really quintessential "died too young" musician? The Gen X'ers have a smorgasboard of choice between Kurt, Buckley, Pac, Biggie, Selena, Smith, Curtis. The Zoomers big one has been SOPHIE with others being Juice WRLD and Mac Miller.

For millenials though we have I think Amy Winehouse but unlike those she never seemed emblematic of Gen Y/Millenials and was also for the longest time leading up to her passing away seemed inevitable to happen. Is there anyone I'm missing? I googled first and went through lists of died too young musicians and there doesn't seem to be anyone that this generation truly mourns for musically. Most instead talk about Heath Ledger.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Lid posted:

Do Millenials have a really quintessential "died too young" musician? The Gen X'ers have a smorgasboard of choice between Kurt, Buckley, Pac, Biggie, Selena, Smith, Curtis. The Zoomers big one has been SOPHIE with others being Juice WRLD and Mac Miller.

For millenials though we have I think Amy Winehouse but unlike those she never seemed emblematic of Gen Y/Millenials and was also for the longest time leading up to her passing away seemed inevitable to happen. Is there anyone I'm missing? I googled first and went through lists of died too young musicians and there doesn't seem to be anyone that this generation truly mourns for musically. Most instead talk about Heath Ledger.

The Linkin Park guy? Chris Cornell maybe? The Sublime guy?

Maybe it's just the music during that period sort of sucked. If you asked me to name iconic millennial bands, I would probably struggle.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Douche4Sale posted:

Maybe it's just the music during that period sort of sucked. If you asked me to name iconic millennial bands, I would probably struggle.
I feel like the Linkin Park guy was too late in his career for it to be a big cultural moment, and Chris Cornell is split between Gen X/Millennial and too late as well

Aaliyah was 100% the biggest one at the time
Dimebag Darrell- I was in Columbus when it happened and a kid from school was actually at that show
post facto maybe Elliott Smith, DJ Screw, Nujabes? (none mainstream enough at time of death)
a few really fat rappers

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 27, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Douche4Sale posted:

The thing with two of those guys is they didn't die young. Cornell was 52, Chester Bennington was 41.

Sublime guy was 28 but like Sublime were a part of the ska wave which never took off greatly, and while their last album before Bradley Nowell died I don't think 99% of people could name him in a line up, nor realise he was dead, and he died in 1996 amongst the rest of the Gen X'ers listed.

I'd disagree on the suck motion too, as the thing is there was so much good music during that period for a long time. The thing is more to do with that most of them, well, lived. They're emblematic now as they're still around.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

post facto maybe Elliott Smith, DJ Screw, Nujabes? (none mainstream enough at time of death)

listed Elliot under X'ers, died 1998 and he was mainstreamish, he performed at the Oscars even. It is however one of the most depressing sights ever, and plays into how he, like Ian Curtis, retroactively have a career of songs that sound like suicide notes set to music.

Lid fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 27, 2023

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Lid posted:

I googled first and went through lists of died too young musicians and there doesn't seem to be anyone that this generation truly mourns for musically.

I did a search now too and Avicii stood out as the most well known name to me so maybe he counts?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lid posted:

Lorde

ne: wait it's still 2023, ignore that it won't happen for a year yet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lid posted:

Aaliyah counts. Winehouse counts. Mitch Hedberg isn’t a musician but he counts too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lowtax is the millennial Kurt Cobain

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Aaliyah counts. Winehouse counts. Mitch Hedberg isn’t a musician but he counts too.

Ernest Borgnine. Although I'm not sure if he counts as millennial. He was born in 1917.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

Ernest Borgnine. Although I'm not sure if he counts as millennial. He was born in 1917.

Ernest P Worrell died too soon in 2000

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Left eye?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How can we change the names of generations.

Millennials is stupid. We were born in the loving 80s. And we had a goddamn perfectly good letter right there, gen Y. You know, the one after X. It even almost caught on for a second. Then gen Z is for kids born in the 90's, THEN we have millennials. People who were loving born in the millenium. The oldest "Millenial" should be 23.

And before you start with the "oh it refers when you came of age" bullshit, gently caress off, ok. Don't be bringing your wishy-washy bullshit into a taxonomic discussion when we have hard data like actual birth dates to work with, which are also intuitive and clean.

Kids born 2010-2020 are back to gen A, or alpha if you want to jazz it up a little. And then kids born after 2020 are just hosed, doesn't matter.

It is supposed to be about the different experiences of life though, what world you're native to. 70's: electronics. 80's: computers. 90's: internet. 2000: smartphones 2010s: full on social media stuff. Or "what can you remember living without", if you shift it to the left. So lumping people born in 1981-1996 together is not only ugly as hell, it's also pointless, since those are such wildly different life experiences that it defeats the entire purpose.

Anyway yes it's Amy Winehouse and Ryan Dunn, next question.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actually, millennial just means those drat kids with their skateboards and TikToks and whatever

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Actually, millennial just means those drat kids with their skateboards and TikToks and whatever

millennial means young people you hate just like boomer means old people you hate and yes, there can be overlap

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bucky Fullminster posted:

How can we change the names of generations.

Millennials is stupid. We were born in the loving 80s. And we had a goddamn perfectly good letter right there, gen Y. You know, the one after X. It even almost caught on for a second. Then gen Z is for kids born in the 90's, THEN we have millennials. People who were loving born in the millenium. The oldest "Millenial" should be 23.

And before you start with the "oh it refers when you came of age" bullshit, gently caress off, ok. Don't be bringing your wishy-washy bullshit into a taxonomic discussion when we have hard data like actual birth dates to work with, which are also intuitive and clean.

Kids born 2010-2020 are back to gen A, or alpha if you want to jazz it up a little. And then kids born after 2020 are just hosed, doesn't matter.

It is supposed to be about the different experiences of life though, what world you're native to. 70's: electronics. 80's: computers. 90's: internet. 2000: smartphones 2010s: full on social media stuff. Or "what can you remember living without", if you shift it to the left. So lumping people born in 1981-1996 together is not only ugly as hell, it's also pointless, since those are such wildly different life experiences that it defeats the entire purpose.

Anyway yes it's Amy Winehouse and Ryan Dunn, next question.

why say all this stupid generation name bullshit instead of just "90s kids" etc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm a somethingawful kid 😎

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was raised by the timeless stewards of anime. I transcend generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Douche4Sale posted:

Chris Cornell and Bradley Nowell are as Gen X as it gets and the latter even died in 1996 before anyone even thought of "millenials"