Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

They couldn't even, as their stated goal said, starve out the writers and the writers were even more broke.

Not sure if the shiny A-listers are keeping the strike fund up (unlikely), but SAG is the longest tail distribution you can imagine. If you read the proposals, around half of the language surrounds things like getting paid more for bringing your own costumes because that's the reality most of their membership deals with. 86% of SAG members make less than $26,000 from acting per year. It means they're somewhat more equipped to deal with a strike because they almost universally have day jobs, but they're also scrapping against the rest of the industry who have been out of work. Probably the worst off of their membership are newly minted series regulars, who may have just uprooted and resettled in LA/NY/Atlanta/Vancouver and don't have a foothold in other industries in those expensive rear end cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
For every SAG member on strike, there are probably 100+ people who have little to no work because of the strike.

If you just think about production people - set designers, prop makers, sound recordists, grips, gaffers, electricians, construction crews, transpo crews, catering crews. Tens of thousands are without work when nothing is rolling. Sure, there's some commercials getting filmed and what not, but that can't make up for the studios grinding to a halt. And reality TV was already flooded with crews, so there's little extra work to be found there. And this is just talking production people.

Look at business on the edges of the process - prop houses, equipment rental houses, costume houses, production equipment (tables, tents, walkies, trucks) rentals. They're seeing their businesses suffer as well.

The company I work for is hit hard right now too. We do translation/localization/subtitling for films. Well... films are getting delayed. Films are getting moved off the slate. My team has had multiple films we were prepared to work on get pushed. There are a handful of films that are ready to release but are waiting on a handful of ADR spots. And whelp, that means the film is dead in the water.

We talk about the money the studios are losing, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of people that are getting hit really hard by the AMPTP continuing to be greedy dickheads.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Actors sent out a letter saying they aren’t caving — as a way of telling Clooney and his friends to eat farts — so either this really is going into January or the studios really are gonna cave in a week. Who the hell even knows anymore.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

fart blood posted:

Actors sent out a letter saying they aren’t caving — as a way of telling Clooney and his friends to eat farts — so either this really is going into January or the studios really are gonna cave in a week. Who the hell even knows anymore.

Wait is George Clooney scabbing?

Also if this does get pushed to January, the Canadian film and TV industry is gonna have another boomtime I think.

Prepare for Murdoch Mysteries on CBS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also if this does get pushed to January, the Canadian film and TV industry is gonna have another boomtime I think.

Prepare for Murdoch Mysteries on CBS.

Just put Republic of Doyle on there too. It'd fit in perfectly with CBS's lineup of police procedurals and/or police proceedurals starring characters who aren't actually cops.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, he secretly met with both the studios and SAG and offered SAG a proposal that A-listers pay more in union dues to help offset any lack of revenue shared by the studios as a compromise to help end the strike. SAG rejected the offer because it’s literally illegal so Clooney leaked it to the press to complain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fart blood posted:

No, he secretly met with both the studios and SAG and offered SAG a proposal that A-listers pay more in union dues to help offset any lack of revenue shared by the studios as a compromise to help end the strike. SAG rejected the offer because it’s literally illegal so Clooney leaked it to the press to complain.

Multi-millionaire actors doing more to support the union financially IS a good idea (as a part of a larger agreement), but Clooney was just a shithead trying to go around the union itself with the proposal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The A-list proposal seems more like a PR move for the rich actors than anything. It entirely misses the point of the strike and doesn’t actually close the gap.

Surprisingly Variety has a good write-up on it: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/george-clooney-proposal-sag-aftra-explained-1235762621/

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

Multi-millionaire actors doing more to support the union financially IS a good idea (as a part of a larger agreement), but Clooney was just a shithead trying to go around the union itself with the proposal.

Yeah plenty of A-listers are low key helping out and that's fine. Better to do that than go on the picket lines and risk the bad optics of millionaires complaining about unfair deals.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mordiceius posted:

For every SAG member on strike, there are probably 100+ people who have little to no work because of the strike.

If you just think about production people - set designers, prop makers, sound recordists, grips, gaffers, electricians, construction crews, transpo crews, catering crews. Tens of thousands are without work when nothing is rolling. Sure, there's some commercials getting filmed and what not, but that can't make up for the studios grinding to a halt. And reality TV was already flooded with crews, so there's little extra work to be found there. And this is just talking production people.

Look at business on the edges of the process - prop houses, equipment rental houses, costume houses, production equipment (tables, tents, walkies, trucks) rentals. They're seeing their businesses suffer as well.

The company I work for is hit hard right now too. We do translation/localization/subtitling for films. Well... films are getting delayed. Films are getting moved off the slate. My team has had multiple films we were prepared to work on get pushed. There are a handful of films that are ready to release but are waiting on a handful of ADR spots. And whelp, that means the film is dead in the water.

We talk about the money the studios are losing, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of people that are getting hit really hard by the AMPTP continuing to be greedy dickheads.

This is all so, so true and the harsh reality of it. At the end of the day, the actors are getting harmed, the studios are harming themselves, and the only side with no chance of victory is every other crew member who is out of work until ???.

My gf can't get hired even at retail because the strike could end literally any time and they don't want to hire people who might leave a week in. So she's just broke. For months. And justifiably she's angry at both sides. She and other crew members just want an end at this point.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Cartridgeblowers posted:

This is all so, so true and the harsh reality of it. At the end of the day, the actors are getting harmed, the studios are harming themselves, and the only side with no chance of victory is every other crew member who is out of work until ???.

My gf can't get hired even at retail because the strike could end literally any time and they don't want to hire people who might leave a week in. So she's just broke. For months. And justifiably she's angry at both sides. She and other crew members just want an end at this point.

You can lie in a job interview. Just say you’ll stay forever to sell shoes or whatever. It’s fine!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Generally, you'd like to have an easy off-ramp for an odd job so you can get back to your career with no fuss. As an actor, I can never really get too comfortable with non-acting jobs since I never know when I'm needed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Aren't like 80% of LA hospitality staff actors?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

And justifiably she's angry at both sides.

oh word? guess those greedy actors best pack it in.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How! posted:

You can lie in a job interview. Just say you’ll stay forever to sell shoes or whatever. It’s fine!

"I see here you have an eight year gap in your work history...?" Like I dunno, there's little white lies and then there's just falsifying your entire identity. Scruples gonna scruple.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Aren't like 80% of LA hospitality staff actors?

Atlanta's a little different than LA.

JoylessJester posted:

oh word? guess those greedy actors best pack it in.

I'm not saying she doesn't support the strikes. She does. But she's been without income since the strike began. The funds that are supposed to help crew members drag their feet immensely. The support for struck workers really doesn't extend easily out of LA proper - New York and Vancouver are the same from what she hears. Does she want the strike to end with a victory for the actors? Of course. Is she angry that it's dragging out and the institutions that are supposed to help non-workers don't really seem to be helping anyone but struck actors - and when/if IATSE goes on strike next year, it's frustrating to think that actors/writers probably won't do poo poo? Yes. It sucks.

Here's a good article on the fears and frustrations of non-actors/writers who have struck in solidarity and suffered for it while also fearing for their own future bargaining power: https://www.thewrap.com/iatse-writers-actors-strike-contract-talks/ Note the local help for struck workers - food drives, funds, etc - does not really extend past LA. I know multiple people who are burning through their life savings. Yes, obviously it's the AMPTP's fault in the first place, but the frustration doesn't necessarily end there. I hope you can understand that without being so flippant.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Cartridgeblowers posted:

"I see here you have an eight year gap in your work history...?" Like I dunno, there's little white lies and then there's just falsifying your entire identity. Scruples gonna scruple.

She has numerous options around that. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been my friend’s “former employer” on their resume. Jobs really really really don’t scrutinize backgrounds that much.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

and when/if IATSE goes on strike next year, it's frustrating to think that actors/writers probably won't do poo poo? Yes. It sucks.

How do you know this? Serious question. The article you posted doesn’t show much evidence that this is the conclusion to reach. The WGA and SAG unions have been have been supporting each other during the strike and even the DGA offers messages of support to both. Why do we presume they won’t do the same for IATSE?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Ok, they are meeting over the weekend. No word on how good/bad this "last final proposal" from the AMPTP is. Hanging on by a thread over here...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, they are meeting over the weekend. No word on how good/bad this "last final proposal" from the AMPTP is. Hanging on by a thread over here...

It’s mostly a bullshit tactic but they need to salvage 2024 and time is running out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1720924506175475748?t=XTiYLbSX-0anq5u3TPEhYQ&s=19

And only gave SAG an hour to respond.

Yeah...totally last final offer

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Where are you seeing that they only gave an hour to respond?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t LBFO a legal thing? Like it means they’re ready to sign it and be done, but SAG rejecting it would just mean back to the drawing board.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1720924506175475748?t=XTiYLbSX-0anq5u3TPEhYQ&s=19

And only gave SAG an hour to respond.

Yeah...totally last final offer

I think this is "our final offer... before we just start cancelling shows and movies and firing you fuckers."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, come back to work for peanuts or we'll not make the things that make our shareholders money?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s their final offer before awards season is shot so they say gently caress it and don’t come back to the actors til January.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
…or so the Germans would have us believe

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

…or so the Germans would have us believe
Thank you for this. My late ol' man 'n me used to quote this to each other and reading this brought him back for a second.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Last and final mean the same thing. I thought these assholes got their writers back.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I guess we’ll find out soon if the studios were bluffing or if it’s “see you in January” time:

https://x.com/sagaftra/status/1721671194301415758?s=46&t=l7JovTDvoQbYADj0z1zxcA

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've heard there are a few shows spinning up prep this week. :ninja:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

I've heard there are a few shows spinning up prep this week. :ninja:

Hopefully this means the studios broke and not the actors :ohdear:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1721700568677118130
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1721703978759520499

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wasn't that.... what their original rejected plan was!?! :psyduck:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All we ask is for you to give us every reason to murder you as soon as possible.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't that.... what their original rejected plan was!?! :psyduck:

Yeah the "AI in perpetuity" thing was a major issue. Bleak what the studios want quite frankly, and fairly loving gross.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So this round of negotiations was essentially a complete loving waste of everyone’s time, then?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if they're really going to blow another season of TV because they think that AI Mark Hamill is a future worth fighting for. It was interesting, even the Entertainment News tonight took a tone of "These studios are making you guys wait another year to answer the Young Sheldon cliffhanger because they really want to just use digital actors for everything and never pay anyone again."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

this is it guys. the last best offer

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Yeah, "Last, Best, and Final Offer" is a real thing. I'm IATSE and we just received one for a contract we have been negotiating for months. It basically is the company we are negotiating with saying this is it, take it to your membership, we're done talking for now, but without breaking the clauses for negotiating in good faith. This particular contract has an Evergeeen clause, as well as a No Strike/No Lockout clause, as long as both sides are "negotiating in good faith". Since this isn't a particularly time sensitive contract, and we aren't currently on strike (although we narrowly avoided one a few months ago) it will be presented and voted on by the membership at the next meeting that achieves quorum.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The American TV and Film industry is going to self-destruct to die in the hill for their god-given right to summon simulacra of actors forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I wonder if their thinking is that they slip that in as a poison pill and then go on about how these actors rejected a good contract and the actors are thr ones at fault