Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The academy is eating itself from the bottom up. You'll notice that the elite schools aren't doing these desperate theatrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's pretty cool looking at the air quality data from my Ecobee and you can distinctly tell when the gas stove is on. This house doesn't have external exhaust for the kitchen and I am killing myself every time i cook. gently caress gas I'm going to electric when I renovate this place

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

When the economy is going really good

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When the economy is going really good

I went to something like this every year when I lived in Arkansas. it's not new but we should have M4A that includes dental

I do wonder what YoY attendance is like though

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I mean I honestly don’t understand why you wouldn’t just be high all the time, I mean gently caress man look around lol

consuming weed 24/7 has to be way better than crawling into a bottle ok

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

It's pretty cool looking at the air quality data from my Ecobee and you can distinctly tell when the gas stove is on. This house doesn't have external exhaust for the kitchen and I am killing myself every time i cook. gently caress gas I'm going to electric when I renovate this place

I feel like a majority of houses don't and it's mind boggling they'd build homes back in the day (or even now) that have gas stoves with no exhaust. Where did they think the fumes would go???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

we should have M4A that includes dental

hey whatever happened to the guy that was pushing for that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

you will never take my Gaggenau from me commie!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Justin Tyme posted:

I feel like a majority of houses don't and it's mind boggling they'd build homes back in the day (or even now) that have gas stoves with no exhaust. Where did they think the fumes would go???

what's a a fume

sounds like commie talk

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Gas has been sold to the public as the "clean-burning" alternative since forever pretty much

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Where did they think the fumes would go???

the fumes are invisible; they can’t hurt you. god what an idiot.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's just air

you breathe air all the time, without air you'd be dead

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

webcams for christ posted:

supply of distinguished professors in the USA dropping lower and lower

https://x.com/davidgura/status/1717697626999513383

lower supply means that the remaining ones will be paid more right?

Because when I think distinguished scholarship, I think UNC.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bedbathbeyond is trending again, they are desperate for a win

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

The Forbidden Topic is that companies are already offloading massive commuting costs onto their employees. Getting into work is loving expensive even if your commute is very short and that cost is borne entirely by workers. My commute to my last "real" job was less than ten minutes and I'd routinely bike to work and I still saved a ton of money when I started working from home.

my job pays for my bus pass :smug:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

my job pays for my bus pass :smug:

so does everybody's. it's called a wage

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
My bus pays for my job pass.

*takes a drag so big I throw up 24/7 for a week*

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Number Weed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

big and strong 800 mg number dropping incredible healthy shits

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
WA state ferry fans see red over Coca-Cola banner ads on vessels

www.seattletimes.com posted:

A good way to make a lot of people mad is to cover even part of a Washington State Ferries vessel in a bright red Coca-Cola ad.

So it has gone since the country's largest ferry system signed off on a plan to wrap the bow and stern of the ferry Tacoma with the hemoglobin-hued banners pitching passengers on a trip to the vending machine. WSF crew, executive leadership and customer service have been slammed with emails, messages and in-person complaints bemoaning this month's red wrapping as a desecration of the green and white trophies of the Puget Sound. Gov. Jay Inslee himself raised an eyebrow.

"If you need any example of how the public and our governor and our colleagues feel about our boats, putting bright red wrapping on the outside and splashing some red on the inside, you're going to hear about it," John Vezina, director of planning, customer and government relations with WSF, said in an all-staff meeting last week.

It's why, beginning next month, you may not see one of those ads** **again for a while. The contract with Coca-Cola, sold by the local firm, Trans4Media, ends Nov. 19. After that, WSF is going to take a pause from advertisements on the boats' exterior.

"We don't have any plans to do that sort of advertising again until we can have a more robust conversation about what's appropriate," Vezina told staff.

Ads on the inside of the ferries have come and gone for years, but the Coca-Cola display was the first to splash across the boat's outside, in addition to the boat's stairwells and in the Seattle terminal.

WSF approved the sale of exterior ads just before COVID-19. It's a new privilege that's been used sparingly. Virginia Mason Franciscan Health paid to display a large mask on the front of one ferry early in the pandemic and there was briefly a giant mustache affixed to a boat to raise awareness about prostate cancer.

Coca-Cola was the first for-profit company to buy an outside ad. The company paid $215,000.

In total, ferries sold around a half a million dollars in advertising, which goes toward the ferries' operating expenses. In the grand scheme, it's a tiny portion of revenue coming through the door: Fares are expected to generate nearly half a billion dollars in the 2023-25 budget cycle.

When the ads went up this fall, they instantly generated a beehive of social media grumbling and customer complaints. Inslee was among those put off by the look.

"The governor recognizes how iconic our ferries are and he was surprised there aren't provisions to account for how paid advertising on our ferries would impact that aesthetic," spokesperson Mike Faulk said in an email.

Ferries have some restrictions on ads, including against alcohol, tobacco, cannabis and gambling, but will consider additional restrictions in the coming months.

The challenges facing the ferries are immense. Staffing is still short, vessels continue to break down and fares are increasing as ridership projections have gone down. Taken together, it means a new advertisement policy is not topping many agendas right now.

"Given other priorities, I expect that review to take several months," Vezina said in a follow-up email. "In the meantime, we won't be selling vessel advertising."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
wow! 100% recycled! can't read that asterisk text I'm sure it's nothing.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Tesla threatens to bring in strikebreakers as Swedish workers strike

quote:

Members of Sweden's IF Metall metalworkers' union working at Tesla service centres went on strike on Friday morning following a breakdown in negotiations over a collective bargaining agreement.

Around 90 percent of employees in Sweden are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, and the metal workers' union, IF Metall, has long tried to negotiate one with Tesla without success.

The union wants Tesla to sign an agreement offering the same working conditions to Tesla's mechanics as those offered to mechanics at other companies.

The company is refusing to sign one, IF Metall has reported, saying that company claims that it doesn't sign collective bargaining agreements anywhere in the world.

Tesla's Nordic lead, Kim Jensen, said in an internal meeting that the company is considering employing strikebreakers, Dagens Arbete has reported.

"If they bring in strikebreakers then that's completely unique," IF Metall's bargaining agreement secretary, Veli-Pekka Säikkälä, told the newspaper. "That would be crossing all boundaries. That kind of thing happened in Sweden in the 1920s and 30s."

"If they start employing strikebreakers and actively try to break the strike, then they have mobilised the entire union movement against them. Not just the Swedish Trade Union Confederation, but all of them. Then the issue at hand becomes less important."

Tesla Sweden's head of communications, Maria Lantz, did not wish to comment when approached by the TT newswire.

Not all of the employees working at the affected service centres are IF Metall members and the union did not disclose how many of the workers were members, saying only that it was "a lot", and that more had joined in recent days.

If the union succeeds with its blockade, it could become more difficult for Tesla owners to get their cars serviced or repaired, despite the fact that some other workshops also service Tesla cars.

However, things could get worse if the union extends its strike.

IF Metall has given notice of its intention to extend the strike from November 3rd to apply to 20 further workshops, which would also put members there under a blockade, preventing them from carrying out any work on Tesla cars at all. This could also prevent owners of new cars from collecting them, as members would be barred from carrying out the work needed in order to register new cars.

There are no plans for new negotiations between the two parties.

"As recently as Tuesday, when we had our last meeting with Tesla, they made it clear that they have no intentions of signing a collective bargaining agreement with us," IF Metall's spokesperson, Jesper Pettersson, said. 

When asked how long strike measures were going to continue, he replied they would be in place "until we have a collective bargaining agreement in place".
Musk should show these spoiled finns who the boss is

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

"gas heats faster! gas heats faster!" i scream as the induction coil perfectly and effortlessly transfers energy into the pan and only the pan at 100% efficiency

jokes on you, I actually love when the center of my cast iron skillet is twice as hot as the rest of it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Benagain posted:

it says except the cap at least, i'm guessing the cut off word is "label"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm installing gas stoves at all of my properties, out of spite

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zodium posted:

i don't know how often it happens, but it happens, because i've seen it. it was not invented by american cops to trick you.

fwiw, what you described is basically me re: weed, largely because I have severe sensitivity to various smells/etc., and the smell of weed was always one of the ones that heavily got me, to where I'd have severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, etc.

Obviously there's other ways to consume it, and those don't get me, but it never seemed worth the risk of having a bad episode. I wish I could regularly partake though!

The worst was working at Target and having to clean/zone the loving candle aisle. I'd rarely be able to finish the aisle before I'd spew my guts out, and eventually just got someone else to do it for me or at least help.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benagain posted:

The same ads are up in my neighborhood it says Except cap and label.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
"I want to do business here."
"OK, these are the local laws and customs?"
"The what now?"

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

anonumos posted:

those grad students doing all the football player's homework are doing very distinguished scholarship

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1717935305129676891

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Taima posted:

"staying up late culture" are you real

I'm going to ignore the obvious here that you haven't done drugs or smoked weed and therefore are talking about things you have no idea about. Which is fine I guess, but why would you even go there if you have no basis for experience.

"hello friends! Life is so nice now that I abstain from... drugs, and cannabis! Wow!"

I also go to bed at 9PM and wake up at 5AM (it's 5:21am and I'm making this post) but you are gross dude lol, like look at your self it's disgusting read your posts again, you may as well be dead

How is it so hard to get the idea that there are night and morning people through your cheeto dusted skull? Smoke all the weed you want, I don't care and don't want to hear about it. If you're a vapist and you rip huge vape clouds near me I'm going to rip huge farts near you.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ogibWCNKI

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
any time i see a noah post it's reaffirming how epic the economy is

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

the Transport union warns that they will not unload any Tesla vehicles in any Swedish harbour

there's also a potential upcoming strike at finn-tech :dadjoke: company Klarna

quote:

Swedish unions threaten to strike at payment company Klarna

Two Swedish trade unions handed a strike warning to tech giant Klarna on Thursday afternoon.

"We've waited long enough," local union chairman Sen Kanner said. "Unionen's members at Klarna want an agreement in place."

The two unions walked out of negotiations with Klarna on Thursday after a couple of years of trying to come to an agreement. They're asking for a collective bargaining agreement with the same working conditions as those offered at similar workplaces.

From November 7th, members of Unionen and Engineers of Sweden will strike at Klarna's head office in Stockholm, where around 2,000 employees work, according to the unions.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

anonumos posted:

my favorite UNC factoid is that they take away the hospital staff's parking on game days

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

err posted:

any time i see a noah post it's reaffirming how epic the economy is

professional number encourager

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isn't noah smith a republican, why is he boosting bidenomics

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

George H.W. oval office posted:

This made me mad because I have an ecobee thermostat but apparently it's the bitch one without an air quality detector. Mine just tells me that my daughter's room is always too hot or cold.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Shear Modulus posted:

isn't noah smith a republican, why is he boosting bidenomics

He's a neolib behavioral economist and considering that everyone in that field keeps turning out to be a major fraud I have no doubt that Noah is also a clout chasing gremlin with zero scruples in the vein of Krugman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grey Fox posted:

my favorite UNC factoid is that they take away the hospital staff's parking on game days

It helps to think of the American education system as just scaffolding to hold up the sports program.