Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I appreciate that Remedy got Finnish artists to work on Alan Wake II's soundtrack but I wish they put the effort in to find music that doesn't sound like Imagine Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

No Dignity posted:

So the Twin Peaks comparisons are on point this time? People said that about the first game but it felt like a very broad pastiche that didn't really understand what made the show work at all

Tbh for the first game the twin peak comparisons were a combination of ripped off "homages" like the lantern lady combined with just the idea that if you have a diner in the woods then it's a twin peaks style game. Deadly Premonition was way closer in that aspect, largely because you spent more time interacting with more characters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alan Wake had some outward aesthetics of Twin Peaks but thematically it has always been much closer to the work of Stephen King.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

mutantIke posted:

I appreciate that Remedy got Finnish artists to work on Alan Wake II's soundtrack but I wish they put the effort in to find music that doesn't sound like Imagine Dragons.

Don't say this...don't make me worried. The eclectic collection of music in the first was so on point. I mean it had Haunted by Poe for fucks sake.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 27, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I just beat Alan Wake yesterday, some of them seeing the game for the first time. When the in-game band Old Gods of Asgard started playing, one of my friends noted that it sounded familiar, and when the song "The Poet and the Muse" started playing, she got really confused, as it was a song she had listened to dozens of times, not realizing that it was from this game. She had often wondered wtf the lyrics were talking about.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The new one supposedly has a new Poe song (!!!) in it, so there's gonna be at least one heater. BTW, just signed up for a free trial of Nvidia game streaming so I could play this Properly and it's honestly not that bad of an experience.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

CuddleCryptid posted:

...The Coffin of Andy and Leyley...

Based on my extremely expert qualifications of "watching the ABG video on this pre-release" and "doing some light googling," I think it's probably simultaneously true that the game as a standalone text is meant to be ambiguous and doesn't endorse or promote incest, but also that the dev/author gets off on it IRL.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is it better or worse than Twelve Minutes?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

King of Bleh posted:

Based on my extremely expert qualifications of "watching the ABG video on this pre-release" and "doing some light googling," I think it's probably simultaneously true that the game as a standalone text is meant to be ambiguous and doesn't endorse or promote incest, but also that the dev/author gets off on it IRL.

I already went through the game so I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that. If I wrote off horror games just because they were made by perverts I'd have to go back to Putt Putt Saves the Zoo

Morpheus posted:

My friends and I just beat Alan Wake yesterday, some of them seeing the game for the first time. When the in-game band Old Gods of Asgard started playing, one of my friends noted that it sounded familiar, and when the song "The Poet and the Muse" started playing, she got really confused, as it was a song she had listened to dozens of times, not realizing that it was from this game. She had often wondered wtf the lyrics were talking about.

My God it's the person, the one going "what loving cabin key are you talking about, Poets of the Fall?"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 27, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

mutantIke posted:

The new one supposedly has a new Poe song (!!!) in it, so there's gonna be at least one heater. BTW, just signed up for a free trial of Nvidia game streaming so I could play this Properly and it's honestly not that bad of an experience.

How do you sign up for the free trial? I signed up for the free account but it was taking forever to try to get into a server to play Yuppie Psycho so I gave up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

It has a full-on musical number stage.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
By "free trial" I meant that I signed up for the paid tier and then cancelled immediately after. I doubt the game is gonna take me more than a month to beat anyway.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Any advice on doing the higher difficulty stuff in World of Horror? I only beat the Mimi challenge by pure luck, but having 13 in each health bar is rough and I haven't really been able to clear the other challenges.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

drat

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

same

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Best game I've played in a while about being a wet naked fat man.

It does make me laugh how the FBI agent is a profiler in the TV sense by which I mean she's just psychic.

The game does have a handy conceit in its premise of being in-universe written by a hacky writer with a magic typewriter, so a "basically just psychic" FBI profiler fits right in.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Whirling posted:

Any advice on doing the higher difficulty stuff in World of Horror? I only beat the Mimi challenge by pure luck, but having 13 in each health bar is rough and I haven't really been able to clear the other challenges.

I don't have advice since I just started but drat does the difficulty ramp quick. Skeptic was a cake walk so I bumped it up two to cultist (which the challenges seem to start at) and was getting smoked by the third case. I was sad (and a little relieved) after the second time it happened that I never saw just how mad my "holes" would get.

Achievements unlock stuff, unsure how useful it is but I noticed one of the unlocks is a completely new shop, so unlocks possibly make the harder stuff more manageable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been playing on Cultist mostly since the start; it gets easier as you get used to managing things and guessing when to push and when not to. I got lucky as hell my first run and won, died fifteen times straight, and now I win more often than I lose.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Played through Milk Outside a Bag of Milk Outside a Bag of Milk today and now doing Amnesia: The Bunker. Was afraid Amnesia was going to have the Signalis issue of too little inventory spaces, but got an upgrade real quick after starting.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

no cussing in the horror thread

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

ultrachrist posted:

I don't have advice since I just started but drat does the difficulty ramp quick. Skeptic was a cake walk so I bumped it up two to cultist (which the challenges seem to start at) and was getting smoked by the third case. I was sad (and a little relieved) after the second time it happened that I never saw just how mad my "holes" would get.

Achievements unlock stuff, unsure how useful it is but I noticed one of the unlocks is a completely new shop, so unlocks possibly make the harder stuff more manageable.

Oh I've unlocked a ton of poo poo. I just gotta do the challenge mode stuff and that'll be it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yashiro's 'I need 120 EXP to level' thing is bizarre. He'd be a really interesting variant character without it but it feels like it makes him notably weaker. I still like him though! Faith is a fun unique mechanic.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man if you didn't play Control then there's a lot of small things in AW2 that are going to be completely meaningless. Weird thing for a tie in DLC from 2020 in your new mainline series entry for a game from 2010.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I have played some but not all of Control but the things you're talking about seem to be more heavy references but not, you'll be completely lost without them.

Alan Wake 1 and it's dlcs, control, Max Payne etc, there's references to all this but none of it is essential

E: it probably is also a very successful cross marketing effort

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I have played some but not all of Control but the things you're talking about seem to be more heavy references but not, you'll be completely lost without them.

Alan Wake 1 and it's dlcs, control, Max Payne etc, there's references to all this but none of it is essential

It's not essential but it's things like why is there this random janitor showing up in the dark place that would seem completely out of nowhere. It doesn't really hurt the game, it's just silly.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just got to the Poe song. It's good folks. Also, it's really funny seeing the discussion of MGS Delta removing the original game's intense color scheme while AWII has even zanier colors than its origin. So many lush reds and greens!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

if you feel like you gotta play control first the super deluxe big boy edition is $10 on steam for the sale currently

I loved Alan wake and the sequel sounds awesome but I've got plenty to do until it comes out on steam

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man if you didn't play Control then there's a lot of small things in AW2 that are going to be completely meaningless. Weird thing for a tie in DLC from 2020 in your new mainline series entry for a game from 2010.

What if I played Control but not the DLC?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I played Control but not the DLC and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I'm a bit hazy on the Mr. Scratch stuff but that's probably more because I didn't play American Nightmare

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mutantIke posted:

I played Control but not the DLC and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I'm a bit hazy on the Mr. Scratch stuff but that's probably more because I didn't play American Nightmare

american nightmare is effectively non-canon at this point, remedy jettisoned it in favor of the AWE dlc

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Even when it was canonical American Nightmare felt like it wasn't. I know Remedy made it but it always seemed like another studio made it to keep the license like that Fantastic Four film Roger Corman made.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

american nightmare is effectively non-canon at this point, remedy jettisoned it in favor of the AWE dlc

The only important things about it are a) introducing and characterising Mr. Scratch and b) Balance Slays the Demon is the best Old Gods song

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

American Nightmare was a side game made for XBLA that originally started as a wave based combat focused arcade thing before evolving into a lower budget minisequel of sorts during development (with the wave mode as a bonus). You can tell from the ending that they knew they probably wouldn't be able to make AW2 any time soon so it ends on an ambiguous note where it could be the ending to the franchise if you wanted it to be before AW2 came out.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
In Lake's own description of the previous games for an IGN video he just chalks it up as an earlier failed attempt at escaping the Dark Place

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

The only important things about it are a) introducing and characterising Mr. Scratch and b) Balance Slays the Demon is the best Old Gods song

Yeah, Scratch being an evil doppelganger that screws with Alan and pretends to be him in the real world is the extent of it. Although your second point is Children of the Elder Gods erasure and I will not stand for it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Considering the universal praise and comparisons to Twin Peaks The Return I'm super interested in Alan Wake II. Should I play the first game, or can I skip it? From what I hear it's not exactly that great gameplay-wise, but is the story necessary?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It has amazing atmosphere, and I'd really recommend giving it a shot at least. It's cheap af right now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Considering the universal praise and comparisons to Twin Peaks The Return I'm super interested in Alan Wake II. Should I play the first game, or can I skip it? From what I hear it's not exactly that great gameplay-wise, but is the story necessary?

there are a lot of callbacks and compare/contrast between the first and second games. more broadly, AW2 is looking like the culmination of everything remedy's developed - all of their games get featured here, especially Control - but it would be worth giving the first a try just to see if it grabs you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm extremely surprised at how slow of a start Alan Wake 2 has. Not in a bad way but just, I'm used to triple A games being so focus tested that you gotta get to the scary action within the first 10minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s reminding me of how the best/worst parts of the OG silent hill games were just methodically exploring quiet roads while the atmosphere works at your brain like a thumbscrew