Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Professor Funk posted:

VHS 85…worth it? I like the VHS movies for the most part, but I feel like they exit my brain as soon as I watch them (except for that one segment from VHS 2…you know the one).

Or I could just watch When Evil Lurks.

I stopped after the second segment. Absolutely garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

VHS 85…worth it? I like the VHS movies for the most part, but I feel like they exit my brain as soon as I watch them (except for that one segment from VHS 2…you know the one).

Watch When Evil Lurks, and VHS85 (When Evil Lurks if you're only picking one)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Professor Funk posted:

I'd rank 85 around the middle of the vhs series, it's fine. but yes, you probably won't remember it in a year or two.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
When Evil Lurks it is. Thanks, thread

Edit: Jesus Christ this isn’t going to be a pleasant experience is it

Edit 2: double Jesus loving Christ

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 28, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fnaf is okay. Cute kids horror. Two good kills.

Great suits. Very little CGI.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So... Is the Rob Lowe Salem's Lot worth my time? I didn't even know this existed.

Also, on a different note, Maniac Cop 2 remains an absolute top-tier all-timer. Good fuckin stuff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Professor Funk posted:

All the VHS's except for the mad doctor one are just youtube short stories with a wrap around "plot" but they're easy watches

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not logging it since I already hit my goal for Spooktober and it isn't quite horror, but rewatching Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (after having seen it only once in 2006), and I am ready to anoint it Park Chan-Wook's weakest of his Vengeance trilogy. Stoker blows it out of the water, and Stoker is Chan-Wook at like 50%, tops.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I just watched Society for the first time after hearing about it for years and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:stonklol: :getin:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

So I just watched Society for the first time after hearing about it for years and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I wish the set up for that one was a bit stonger. Conceptually it's great Ira Levin-ish stuff, but the execution is pretty perfunctory until it gets to the big setpiece they clearly made the movie to do... but that final 20 minutes really is something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
When Evil Lurks is HEAVY but features the worst trope in horror: main character warning everyone and everyone just refusing to listen no matter what even if it logically makes sense that they should

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually don’t like that trope either because it’s very over done and frustrating.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm watching the old 70's Tales From the Crypt and it's still a fun watch after all these years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I started watching An Unknown Encounter, and Jesus Christ. If this movie came out today as a 90s throwback I would say they’d gone way too far, the 90s weren’t actually that 90s.

But I guess they were!

Put this on now and it's killing me. Also wtf one of the writers in the intro credits is Jackie Earle Haley

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh my god this movie

The demon gets trapped in a low functioning autistic child because it can't work out how to use his brain. The actor playing the character isn't autistic which is revealed later on when he walks and talks normally.

The main character is warned by a girl and he doesn't believe her so he just slugs her a bunch of times

Spanish horror goes wild

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am watching it too, this is some wild poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That was awesome and I guess the best take we'll get on covid

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wonder if the central idea of When Evil Lurks is really something from Argentinian folklore, or if it’s just made up for the film.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

On the thread's recommendation I just watched Underwater. It was pretty good. The production design was fantastic and the creatures were solid.

TJ Miller needed to die way earlier.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Doltos posted:

When Evil Lurks is HEAVY but features the worst trope in horror: main character warning everyone and everyone just refusing to listen no matter what even if it logically makes sense that they should

I'm watching this part right now and also this kid is just watching like an idiot while the dog mauls his sister to death seriously no human would act like these people its infuriating.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Put this on now and it's killing me. Also wtf one of the writers in the intro credits is Jackie Earle Haley

Yeah, I couldn't tell if that was him or one really weird coincidence in names.

I'm a little confused about the pitch that it was an intentional "fiction/found footage" thing, it seems to just be a regular ghost hunting documentary thing from what I can see. Down to having a depressing amount of time obsessing over orbs. Fake as hell, but that's nothing new. Kind of a fun throwback given how over the top the editing is. Made me think of watching old ghost shows when I was a teenager, but nothing special.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TheMopeSquad posted:

I'm watching this part right now and also this kid is just watching like an idiot while the dog mauls his sister to death seriously no human would act like these people its infuriating.

A theory I've heard is that everyone is affected to some degree, such as grandma naming off the demons and insisting she didn't when she's called out on it and why people are acting like they are. It makes more sense than shock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is so stupid I love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGIwgRy48w

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
When Evil Lurks was the most unintentionally funny movie of the year imo

Rageaholic posted:

It's got one of the best deliveries of "butthead" in cinematic history. Truly legendary.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

When Evil Lurks was the most unintentionally funny movie of the year imo

I laughed several times in disbelief, or shock, or something like that.

It was amazingly bleak overall, and surprised me at several moments.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Last night was a land of contrasts for us, starting with When Evil Lurks. It's been said already but what a ride. Very few movies nail the whole "evil doesn't give a gently caress about you" themes of demon movies, but this one spiked it into the endzone and did the funky chicken. It's a completely unforgiving world where these things just happen (they have protocols!) and I would love to dig in more to the mythology around the movie. I also found it a bit frustrating that it was one of those movies where no one listens to the main character, but then towards the end he did the exact same thing with that older lady who was going to "clean" the infection. I got the sense that everyone was being manipulated to some degree so that explained it for me. I will watch anything by this director though. Terrified was a good bit funnier and had some light hearted bits but poo poo goes HARD in his movies. Definitely a top watch.

We followed it up with Five Nights at Freddy's out of pure curiosity. I'm old so the games kind of escaped my notice when they were a big thing, aside from my son being interested in youtubers playing it. We had heard it was just awful but I figured it would be a light watch after When Evil Lurks. It really wasn't that bad a movie? Just not much of a horror movie. It felt really sanitized and toothless and the plot was a bit over-complicated, but I thought it would fit in nicely as an old Goosebumps episode or something. I guess it felt like a movie they wanted kids to watch written by people who don't really understand kids, if that makes sense. I'm going to follow it up with Willy's Wonderland today just for comparison since I've never seen it.

I doubt anything will top When Evil Lurks for the rest of this season. I checked my fitbit before bed and my heart rate had spiked quite a bit during that movie watch which was a good laugh.

Stink Billyums posted:

I'd rank 85 around the middle of the vhs series, it's fine. but yes, you probably won't remember it in a year or two.

I rank it a little higher but I think you're spot on. It wasn't particularly scary but it was a pretty fun ride. I found all the segments to be really consistent this time around and there were some fun, creative bits. Definitely worth a watch, but for reference my favorite was probably VHS/94 (Hail Ratma).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gonna watch Followed and then finally finally start trying to push my way thru this VHS poo poo. I tried watching the first one a while back and the first segment was so stupid and bad I just split.
All on tubi so I can take the time to meditate on my terrible choices in movies during the ad breaks.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I saw In the Mouth of Madness for the first time today (thank you Alan Wake II).

Yep John Carpenter is a great director. But also it made me think, drat, Michael De Luca is a pretty creative screenwriter, I would have liked to see more from him if he didn't decide to become incredibly rich instead

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Levantine posted:

Very few movies nail the whole "evil doesn't give a gently caress about you" themes of demon movies

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

drat Tobin Bell in Saw X is great, just putting in work, flexin those big wet peepers

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

When Evil Lurks is the movie that Exorcist: Believer thought it was.

It's definitely in the top five horror movies of the year for me, maybe in the top three. It takes a lot to get me to audibly gasp at a movie, but the dog scene did it, and then the hits just kept coming. Like the rest of the thread, my complaint is primarily about character motivation -- nobody listens to anybody -- but the idea that evil clouds the senses and makes you make stupid decisions works for me. The most egregious to me is the guy going after the fire axe, but they did previously use electricity on their way over there, so it would make sense if he'd been weakened.

Like Terrified, I think the real strength of the movie is in creating little moments that are just burned into your brain. Terrified had the wife in the shower, the kid at the table, the monster under the bed, and the bus accident. When Evil Lurks has the axe suicide, the dog mauling, the walking ghoul eating the boy's brains, and the old lady getting conked with the hammer over and over. Regardless of the specifics of the movie, those little snapshots will stick with me far more than almost anything else I've watched this season, so I consider that a huge win.

Highly recommended for fans of mean, old-school horror. Strong Evil Dead 1 vibes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Lol this rules.

On a similar but tangential note I also really liked at the end of the credits of Dearest Sister (2016), which is like the second Laotian horror narrative film ever, that Mattie Do has a note thanking the Indiegogo backers, cast, and crew which contains the phrase “you crazy mofo’s” [sic]

Really good movie, I need to see her other ones

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I saw enough good answers from Letterboxd friends about the character motivation for When Evil Lurks before my original post/immediately after my viewing that I understood it. It's a combination of evil can manipulate you, and we're in a broken setting where it can do that even more easily than in normal circumstances

It's easy to say you wouldn't make a mistake when it's not someone you care about that's affected. When it's not your grandparent with dementia forgetting what they'd just said, when it's not your kid lying to your face while looking scared, when it's not your pet leaning into the gun begging for the shot. For these people it not only is, it is, while everything else around them abandoned them. Their government lies to them. Their police looked the other way on the epidemic with a year of knowledge about it. The mayor wants the neighbors spooked because if they sell and move, someone who will actually want to live here (flaws and all) will take it instead. And the neutral bystanders either saw it and ignored it, saw it and didn't believe it, or saw it and waited on someone else to do something about it first, for a whole year

Nobody listens to anybody because they've either been abandoned, or have abandoned others, long ago. Terrified was what Rugna saw pre-COVID, When Evil Lurks is what he saw during COVID. I don't think he was, or is, wrong about either; I definitely think he's correct about this

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really good movie, I need to see her other ones

JustWatch says Chanthaly isn’t streaming but The Long Walk is on Shudder and Tubi

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

So... Is the Rob Lowe Salem's Lot worth my time? I didn't even know this existed.

Also, on a different note, Maniac Cop 2 remains an absolute top-tier all-timer. Good fuckin stuff.

Rob Lowe Salems Lot is actually pretty good. I watched it in the last year and I really dug it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Yeah, When Evil Lurks was a banger. Just a relentlessly bleak, mean movie with some moments that I won’t forget for a long time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On one hand I don’t understand how “relentlessly bleak” is as good a time for so many. On the other hand I’m grateful people are open about it so I can comfortably say “that one’s probably not for me.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s fun to dip into the darkness and then dip right out

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

There's comfort in staring the horrors in the face and embracing them. Sometimes it's nice to know that you aren't alone in your suffering.

And sometimes it's the Matinee approach - "When you leave the theater and see the sunlight, you can breathe easy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Half the reason I thought hereditary was so fun was how many levels of emotion it wrought on me. I was spooked, I was shocked, I was disturbed, I was laughing, I was confused

When it was all said and done I was like gently caress yes. That’s what I’m talking about baby