Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
I'm having a strange issue where multiple dwarves are deciding to assign themselves the same named weapon when left to individual choice. Only one of them gets it, of course, and the other refuses to use anything else unless I manually assign them a specific weapon. Then another dwarf will decide they want it, too.

Forbidding the weapon only works temporarily because it gets unforbidden on its own (which I assume is normal for dwarves getting attached to an item). It's not limited to just one item or dwarf, either. Assigning manual weapons is getting annoying since this fort is mostly focused on sending armies out to conquer stuff, so I have lots of squads.

Is this a known issue? Any better ideas for fixing or working around it?

Modoh fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Further Reading posted:

Nethercap is magma safe wood, yeah.
Not quite. It can be used safely in making buildings (Workshops, pumps, etc), but nether cap mine carts and other objects will burn when dumped in lava.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Noo :negative: my dreams of magma squad emerging from the molten pit to pincer attack are ruined

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Is this sort of title / image combination common? It's seems too on point to be chalked up to a coincidence.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Griddle of Love posted:

Is this sort of title / image combination common? It's seems too on point to be chalked up to a coincidence.

I am just absolutely in love with feeding these things to AI image generators, thanks to whoever posted that ring a bit back.

I consider it absolutely canon that, due to the vast quantities of alcohol the dwarves constantly imbibe, the weird AI artifacts are how dwarves actually see the world, thus these depictions of their work are entirely accurate and correct.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Noo :negative: my dreams of magma squad emerging from the molten pit to pincer attack are ruined
It still wouldn't have stopped them from getting directly exposed to magma, there's no clothing/armor which is completely sealed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

My first forts had problems with insanely busy taverns, resulting in tons of bards trying to move in, barfigths, skeevy customers and so on, so I've started restricting my taverns to citizens only. This fort, I'm getting dozens of monster hunters eager to move in and mull around in my relatively empty caverns, I guess they heard there's tons of booze and not a lot of monsters so they're trying to freeload :shrug:

This is why I keep taverns/temples/guildhalls open to Citizens and Long Term Visitors only. Current game I accidentally made the tavern open to everyone for a couple seconds and in that time four humans showed up to go monster hunting. Since I had shut the tavern down to outsiders, they instead hung around outside attacking whatever animals or creatures were hostile to them. I think they left eventually.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I thought having hordes of random sketchy bar patrons loitering around your fort was the entire point of a tavern.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bad Munki posted:

I am just absolutely in love with feeding these things to AI image generators, thanks to whoever posted that ring a bit back.

I consider it absolutely canon that, due to the vast quantities of alcohol the dwarves constantly imbibe, the weird AI artifacts are how dwarves actually see the world, thus these depictions of their work are entirely accurate and correct.
lmao drat

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
A weird trick with monster hunters:
If you go to Labor -> locations on their personal menu and remove the ”monster hunter” location they become free labor!*

*still cant be drafted tp the army until they naturalize

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

any one else getting headless dwarven children with a negative age?

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 9, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hihohe posted:

Is this too long for a thread title

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hihohe posted:

DO NOT LET THEM IN

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

well great, apparently i also got a bug where undead Echidnas are immortal and unkillable and my dwarves dont know when to stop trying to kill it so they all are getting tired.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hihohe posted:

well great, apparently i also got a bug where undead Echidnas are immortal and unkillable and my dwarves dont know when to stop trying to kill it so they all are getting tired.

That's probably not a bug; undead are an ungodly bitch to kill

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's probably not a bug; undead are an ungodly bitch to kill

I looked up "Skeleton wont die" it brought up some reports that Echidnas skeletons specifically are impossible to kill it seems.

i thinks its because their hair and quills are unable to really be hurt

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hihohe posted:

iirc this is a known bug that's been around forever: Sometimes a dwarf will be born/generated without a skin tag/description and this turns them immortal for some reason. the facelessness part is new to steam graphics but iirc it's been happening for a while.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I looked up "Skeleton wont die" it brought up some reports that Echidnas skeletons specifically are impossible to kill it seems.

i thinks its because their hair and quills are unable to really be hurt

Yeah that's correct - they're basically unkillable in combat if they become undead and curl up. Even living echidnas are very resiliant when curled up - I've saw a story on reddit of a cyclops and an echinda stuck in a fight for years in someone's fort!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You could try this, if you don't want to outright exterminate it:
https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/tools/starvingdead.html

It would have saved one of my pre-dfhack steam forts, some stupid undead fell into a waterfall and every time my dwarves went even near outside they freaked out at them. Nothing could kill them or reach them there, but they absolutely hosed up all tasks and kept the SEIGE flag active just by hanging around until the fort eventually fell.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
obviously you need to dump magma on knuckles, this will resolve it entirely. Maybe use some flowing water to sweep it into the molten sea or something

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
What's causing all these miasma clouds in my barracks? I don't see any rotten, hacked off body parts lying around or anything, what's up?

Oh... You should go get your baby looked at...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ah, the baby with bad vibes

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Miasma in barracks happens if your dwarves drop off their carried meals while changing armour. At least, that was the source in the single time it happened to me.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

junan_paalla posted:

What's causing all these miasma clouds in my barracks? I don't see any rotten, hacked off body parts lying around or anything, what's up?

Set your troop schedule so that they are always wearing armor. (set Equip/always on the order screen)

Troops that wear uniforms also pick up food and drink, which they will eat wherever if they get hungry when on orders, this lets them stay on patrol or whatever longer without starving. When they remove their uniform, they drop their equipment, including the food. When it's on the ground, it can rot.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anyone have any cool worldgen tricks im interested to see what happens if i run it for a long time on my fancy fast processor

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

parthenocarpy posted:

Miasma in barracks happens if your dwarves drop off their carried meals while changing armour. At least, that was the source in the single time it happened to me.

I think the latest patch fixed this.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Super No Vacancy posted:

anyone have any cool worldgen tricks im interested to see what happens if i run it for a long time on my fancy fast processor

I honestly think you should just go for default settings, see what you get as a baseline. Make the world just a bit smaller, and you should blaze through the centuries.

===

Meanwhile, I'm glad my dwarves are not xenophobes and that my minster for monoculture legendary engraver is welcoming of all heritages:

Though I do wonder why all the engravings under the tables in my hospital are of elves... Every single one!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you have chests in barracks/bedrooms they store meals in there. They still never ate them, but at least they didn't rot.

Now that the bug is fixed I guess residential chests are useless again? I've only ever seen them used to store meals and coins.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Griddle of Love posted:

I honestly think you should just go for default settings, see what you get as a baseline. Make the world just a bit smaller, and you should blaze through the centuries.

===

Meanwhile, I'm glad my dwarves are not xenophobes and that my minster for monoculture legendary engraver is welcoming of all heritages:

Though I do wonder why all the engravings under the tables in my hospital are of elves... Every single one!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think the latest patch fixed this.
In that the dropped food is no longer owned. It still gets dropped on the floor and needs to be hauled back to a stockpile.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

In that the dropped food is no longer owned. It still gets dropped on the floor and needs to be hauled back to a stockpile.

That's why I have a Hauling Union :eng101:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So my "this dwarf beat a forgotten beast to death with their bare hands" dwarf who I made baron had been miserable ever since losing most of her lung function and going in and out of depression finally snapped and beat the everloving snot out of her own husband, putting him in hospital. Then she appeared to cheer up somewhat and went off to start merrily hauling again.

... can dwarfs get divorced in this game?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
a firebreathing forgotten beast showed up in my fort's cavern and lit all the floor fungus on fire. this immediately knocked my FPS down to 1, with no end in sight. I just retired the fort in disgust

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I decided that a volcano embark is cheating because it gets you quick and easy magma as early as you need it, so I started a new fort. After a few bad embarks where the aquifiers and caves ate up all my living space, I managed to get a nice fort underway and get acquainted with magma pump stacks. I had a vampire incident kinda early on, but I got it under control and now my immortal mayor will be doing managerial duties and accounting in her sealed off chamber until she loses her sanity. I also got a visit from a cyclops but the war hippogryphs grazing at the entrance of my fort kicked it to death before it could reach my traps. I'm currently working on setting up my military and digging a grand staircase I can use to execute my prisoners.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I also have a sage writing dwarf erotica

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been playing this for years and I still don’t understand what an aquifer really is. I mean, it’s a level with water between the stones? And this water is infinite or smth? I just always turn this off.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Mokotow posted:

I’ve been playing this for years and I still don’t understand what an aquifer really is. I mean, it’s a level with water between the stones? And this water is infinite or smth? I just always turn this off.

Aquifers got toned down a bit, I think, so that "light aquifers" are easier to dig through and you can basically deal with them by digging catch tanks every now and then that grab the water and spread it out to dry.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

I also have a sage writing dwarf erotica

It's vicious about the topic. I think it's against loving, not pro.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

Aquifers got toned down a bit, I think, so that "light aquifers" are easier to dig through and you can basically deal with them by digging catch tanks every now and then that grab the water and spread it out to dry.
You can also expand out and build walls which will stop the flow. I like to build step wells from above that can become my in-fort water source, self-replenishing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Light Aquifers are in fact fairly easy to deal with now. Heavy Aquifers still carry a very high chance of completely turbofucking your fort if not properly dealt with.

And yeah I like Light Aquifers as a self-replenishing water source for my fort, that's my primary use for them.