Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Punch McLightning posted:

the absolute state of wrestling media

Is about the same as its ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Is about the same as its ever been

It's worse now because Dave Meltzer lost all his sources and spends his days trying to get Matt Riddle a job.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

It's worse now because Dave Meltzer lost all his sources and spends his days trying to get Matt Riddle a job.

Jericho is a source

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I meant more about there always being click bait from random sources saying things like that, but yeah it definitely is actually worse now on a fundamental level

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bonk posted:

lol gently caress off Fightful

The content is literally SRS saying "No, but it'd be the greatest work of all time if it was!"

Ever since Twitter started to claim to pay content creators, they've gone off the rails with clickbait and engagement farming "Name a wrestler who's name starts with R"-type garbage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Trying posted:

Jericho is a source

Just not of news.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1718448126057721910?t=hucAdWpfYKC9xcjH06lk1Q&s=19

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

No one ever articulates why this is bad, just that it is bad and a mistake. No they can't tell you what the mistake will lead to but it is a mistake mark my words

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The mistake was not maximizing the money made from that match, and I agree. However, it's really not that big a deal because nobody seriously thought Kenny would win anyway

This is all just a case of bad timing because of MJF's reign approaching Kenny's. This is when they had to do it. Oh well. It was fine

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one ever articulates why this is bad, just that it is bad and a mistake. No they can't tell you what the mistake will lead to but it is a mistake mark my words

I also don’t really understand WHEN you do MJF/Kenny if not last night. The whole point was Kenny’s record, which is beaten on Tuesday. So unless they created another PPV for tonight, there’s really no other option.

And saying it’s “3 days build” is completely incorrect anyway, MJF taunted Kenny with 13 days left, and if you wanna get super nerdy he actually did it even earlier on BTE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rerunning matches in front of bigger audiences might be one of the oldest promotional tactics to exist so yeah, every time I hear it was the wrong time and the audience was too small I remember "oh yeah, you run it again off of all the good word it's getting in front of more people".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The crowd was absolutely loving rabid at that and it made for great atmosphere to an already great match so :shrug:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Also they did it in front of an audience who had paid to be there on a TV show they were being paid to make. They didn't give away poo poo.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The problem with social media is people have to have takes. And most of the takes are just a bunch of garbage words that don't actually say anything of substance.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought everyone got the memo to stop interacting with check marks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Thankfully the match was in front of 4,000+ people so it was a good move.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJF/Kenny was/is a money match and if they knew MJF was gonna break the record they should of been building it a lot earlier to maximize ticket sales and ratings or even put it on PPV. So while I wouldn't call it a major error it does feel like the left money on the table

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
running any match in front of a crowd below five, maybe six digits, is giving it away

also all matches should be promoted for no less than three months

tv should be nothing but promos and squashes and fifteen-minute entrances for both

fake edit i am very smart

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

running any match in front of a crowd below five, maybe six digits, is giving it away

tv should be nothing but promos and squashes and fifteen-minute entrances for both

Just retire Vince please it’s over

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

let me tell you that period of the attitude era where no big matches happened on the actual shows sucked rear end. especially as a poor kid who couldn't afford ppvs and had to tape trade with my uncle who pirated the papes but I always got them after getting spoiled on the results.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Jim Crockett when did you get online

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And again, give them 20 on tv to sell 40 on the ppv is just promoting. I think I just hate the constant hypotheticals of "oh this was a mistake because I'm just assuming you could make more money off of this", especially when the thing being done is also an obvious money making tactic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

And again, give them 20 on tv to sell 40 on the ppv is just promoting. I think I just hate the constant hypotheticals of "oh this was a mistake because I'm just assuming you could make more money off of this", especially when the thing being done is also an obvious money making tactic.

yea it was a good match but still a tv match. by ppv standards it would have been short, had a predictable outcome, and didn't feel like either guy was going all-out (aside from mjf actually doing a dive instead of teasing it). I doubt aew will every be at a loss for ppv main events but even if they were it doesn't make much sense to claim this match would get in the way of a rematch with actual stakes and a build

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

little munchkin posted:

it doesn't make much sense to claim this match would get in the way of a rematch with actual stakes and a build

It was a world title match that ended 100
% clean with "MJF is the definitive best aew world champ with the streak" as the reason why the match happened in the first place so if that's not "actual stakes" I don't know what is

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

little munchkin posted:

yea it was a good match but still a tv match. by ppv standards it would have been short, had a predictable outcome, and didn't feel like either guy was going all-out (aside from mjf actually doing a dive instead of teasing it). I doubt aew will every be at a loss for ppv main events but even if they were it doesn't make much sense to claim this match would get in the way of a rematch with actual stakes and a build

It was the second longest AEW title match of the year. A 30+ minute match is not short by PPV standards. It is very long.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Giving away a big match like that on free TV is kind of dumb tbh but I'm not complaining, give me more big Kenny Omega matches on TV Tony.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Even the commercial breaks were in super unobtrusive spots, a rematch would ne phenomenal because, well, that was a phenomenal match, but there's nothing that felt less than what you would have got if it was a PPV match instead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If they come back with MJF/Omega 2 for Worlds End than critics will look silly but given the recent soft ticket sales and the LA PPV not being sold out I think it's a fair criticism if you are into the business side of things. if you just want fun wrestling TV I get why people would be tried of it

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
So much of the lame criticism of the build to AEW matches is just Schrodinger's Cat style analysis where the booking choices they make week to week just happen to be "objectively" wrong every time for vague reasons.

Every match and feud could theoretically be benefited by additional build, until you get to the point where it is obvious the audience is tired of it. The only way to be sure of where an angle peaked is to look back after the fact (on angles that went on too long). If an angle doesn't clearly wear out it's welcome, a critic that wants to find something to complain about can argue "sure it looked like that angle and the final blow off were a success to the untrained eye, but more build could have really put it over the top so really it's a booking fail" and if booking legitimately drags on too long then "see, I told you they don't know how to book."

There definitely can be fair "warnings" about booking, but usually they are accompanied by people giving their personal thoughts about the angle. Like the Toni Storm PIP videos, people that are generally positive on her character thinking aloud "I hope this evolves a bit over the weeks because I could see it getting stale if it doesn't" seems genuine, allows for the possibility that the angle can succeed in the end, and isn't just nitpicking. On the other hand, the people acting like they are, out of charity, giving TK financial advice to save his failing business can be safely ignored. If someone personally did not enjoy MJF vs Kenny because of business reasons, I'm probably not going to be interested in their opinion.

beepo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 29, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If they come back with MJF/Omega 2 for Worlds End than critics will look silly but given the recent soft ticket sales and the LA PPV not being sold out I think it's a fair criticism if you are into the business side of things. if you just want fun wrestling TV I get why people would be tried of it

We need an AEW Mecca thread for the posters who just want to uncritically clap and hoot and hollar non-stop over everything AEW does.

And then a separate good thread.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1glitch0 posted:

We need an AEW Mecca thread for the posters who just want to uncritically clap and hoot and hollar non-stop over everything AEW does.

And then a separate good thread.

I will hoot, I will holler. I am a good poster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

making viewers think that something exciting and good might happen when they tune into the weekly show = bad busininess. Got it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dynamite (and Collision) have generally delivered exciting matches every week but they are not moving tickets near what they were before. And it's not just higher prices given WWE is selling out right now

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dynamite (and Collision) have generally delivered exciting matches every week but they are not moving tickets near what they were before. And it's not just higher prices given WWE is selling out right now

It's always been hard for the #2 promotion to compete when #1 is hot.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't think it's unreasonable or just focusing on the business side to think one of the theoretical biggest matches they had that was also a torch passing to their new Guy should be given a longer build than "oh yeah the longest title run streak is coming up" even if I find the guy they're backing to be extremely annoying

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Their last two shows beat their two previous times in the building. They had a stretch of bad houses but there are good signs as well. Also WWE is using discounted or BXG1 free sales too. WWE's business is obviously very strong though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

It was a world title match that ended 100
% clean with "MJF is the definitive best aew world champ with the streak" as the reason why the match happened in the first place so if that's not "actual stakes" I don't know what is

a less than 100% chance of the champion retaining

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like if you're into business/ratings/attendance, having a high profile match that says 'you should watch/attend Collison to see big matches' is a pretty good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Sounds like a good time to me.